Dallas Best Option for NFL Bubble City (if needed)

Landomatic

Sure, why not...

Spoiler

If the NFL needs a bubble city, Dallas could be its best option

With several football stadiums in the metroplex that provide network-quality accommodations, DFW is primed to provide the NFL a bubble city, should the league need

DALLAS — COVID-19 has halted sports all across the world.  The NBA and NHL suspended their seasons, Major League Baseball delayed the start of theirs, the Premier League and other soccer organizations around the world have stopped play, and more.

But as the NBA and Major League Baseball ponder putting their players, coaches, officials, and other essential gameday personnel in a bubble, in order to restart their seasons, the NFL continues along with its offseason, mostly unscathed.  Yes, free agency was different than normal, and teams are now having to push back the start of their offseason programs.  But we're still months away from actual games.  Giving the NFL precious time to come up with a game plan that doesn't necessitate a delay to their usual schedule.

But what if the NFL needs a bubble city, just as it appears the NBA and MLB do?

Enter North Texas.

With it's unmatched passion for high school and college football, and the nicest professional stadium in the world, the metroplex boasts the best conceivable option if the NFL needs a location for it's 2020 season.

Now, there are high school and college stadiums and fields in close proximity to plenty of NFL stadiums around the country.  But most high school stadiums around the country are not apportioned well enough to accommodate major broadcast television. There are several options in North Texas that fit that bill.

Yes, an NFL season without fans would be a disappointment.  But when juxtaposed with no NFL season at all -- sign me up.

Here's one possible option for how this could work:

AT&T Stadium

This one is your slam dunk, of course.  And much like the proposed MLB plan -- with the Diamondbacks Chase Field hosting double and triple-headers -- the Dallas Cowboys home facility could theoretically host multiple games per weekend.  

With the possibility of no college football looming, you may have Saturdays and Sundays to fill.  You could play a Thursday night game, two Saturday games, and two Sunday games at Jerry World, including the Sunday Night Football game each week.  Heck, throw Monday Night Football there, too.

If you do all that at AT&T Stadium, that's six of the maximum 16 games taken care of already.

Amon G. Carter Stadium

Before you even get to the high school stadiums, there are multiple college facilities in the area that would help round out the roster, and TCU's Carter Stadium is the best of the bunch.  Commonly home to multiple high-level Big 12 broadcasts every year, the jump to an NFL-level broadcast is minimal.  If you're playing games on Saturday and Sunday, one game a day in Fort Worth works quite well.

Gerald Ford Stadium

SMU's Ford Stadium would be another prime location for the NFL to stage games, and could easily host a game on Saturday, and a game on Sunday.

The Cotton Bowl

Can't talk about college stadiums without mentioning the 90-year-old staple in the heart of Fair Park.  It's maybe not as gleaming as it once was, but it still has all the necessary elements to host high-level games, as evidenced by its annual hosting of the Red River Rivalry, and January's Winter Classic between the Dallas Stars and Nashville Predators.

Ford Center at The Star

Frisco is now home to the nicest high school complex in the area (yes, McKinney and Allen, we hear you. You're nipping at their heels).  Ford Center has nearly all the bells and whistles and AT&T Stadium does, in terms of television capabilities, and could easily host two games per weekend to be broadcast across the country to a football-hungry audience.

McKinney ISD Stadium

The brand new $69 million stadium in McKinney is brilliant, has all the fixin's needed, and would be a prime location to host a couple games each weekend.

Just with the stadiums listed thus far, you could have your requisite 16 games per weekend taken care of.  

6 at AT&T Stadium (Thursday, 2 Saturday, 2 Sunday, Monday)

2 each at Carter, Ford Stadium, Cotton Bowl, Ford Center, and McKinney ISD Stadium.  And, because it's Texas, and we're still not remotely done... here are some more options, if the NFL wants to have fewer games at individual sites each weekend.

Eagle Stadium at Allen High School

The original stadium that broke the mold in North Texas, Eagle Stadium is on par with most Division I-AA Stadiums around the country, and has all the necessary elements for the NFL to put on a quality broadcast in an empty stadium.

Toyota Stadium

Home to FC Dallas and many Frisco ISD games, Toyota Stadium has hosted the U.S. Women's National soccer team among many other high-level games and teams.  An NFL-level broadcast would be easily accomplished.

You get the picture. We could go on and on with various other locations that could also potentially work, like Globe Life Park (yup, it's a football stadium now!), UNT's Apogee Stadium, Farrington Field in Fort Worth, Mesquite Memorial Stadium, and more.

Texas loves its football. And that love may just bring the NFL to DFW, if the league needs a temporary home, amid this global pandemic.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports/if-the-nfl-needs-a-bubble-city-dallas-could-be-its-best-option/287-4dd1936e-4d98-49b2-b827-4e7fe4379fe0

5 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

should read DFW, not Dallas.  Fort Worth is not dallas.

Neither is McKinney, Allen, or Frisco, Mr. Constant Chip on your Tarrant County Shoulder. 

Should just rename it the North Texas Football League then (riff on Arlington Cowboys)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Yeah that could work. There'll be plenty of open hotel rooms too with a lack of travel and conventions. Is it actually cheaper though to have the entire league living in hotels for 6 months as opposed to just playing like normal with travel to home stadiums but without fans? I guess it is since the other leagues are considering it, just seems like weird accounting to me. 

I also just thought about weekly routines. Wouldn't each team need a practice facility? Wouldn't it be a nightmare to have coaching staffs recreate their offices and facilities in hotels? It seems like football is different from MLB and NBA in this respect. Those leagues plays several times per week and don't have weekly practice and preparation schedules. It seems to me that for the NFL, the costs of travel would be worth it to at least keep the same regular schedules.

Edited by 'stache

I also just thought about weekly routines. Wouldn't each team need a practice facility? Wouldn't it be a nightmare to have coaching staffs recreate their offices and facilities in hotels? It seems like football is different from MLB and NBA in this respect. Those leagues plays several times per week and don't have weekly practice and preparation schedules. It seems to me that for the NFL, the costs of travel would be worth it to at least keep the same regular schedules.

Probably makes more sense to push season to spring if that’s where we get.

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Each team gets their own hotel. They'd have plenty of conference room space for offices and meetings unless they're staying at the Days Inn or something. Hell, they'd have enough room for a hookers and blow floor to keep everybody occupied during their down time.  Practice space could happen at the nearest high school or middle school. It shouldn't be an issue because if the NFL has to resort to this, high school sports aren't happening at all.

jfc this would happen in SoCal if it happens anywhere.
Rose Bowl
LA Coliseum
Stubhub Stadium
SoFi Stadium
SDCCU (Jack Murphy/Qualcomm)

I know y'all in DFW think you are the center of the universe but come on
You'd still have to watch the games on tv bucko..

As someone who lives in DFW, dont really care if this thing goes to Socal or elsewhere. Too many transplants as it is, and placing all NFL teams here will inevitably mean many players or coaches will actually buy houses to live in...driving up costs for those of us who who are already here, and not just temporarily. The real danger is the constant air travel from city to city, not where they live. (Hotels for all players/staff wouldnt help much)

10 minutes ago, ousux said:

You'd still have to watch the games on tv bucko..

As someone who lives in DFW, dont really care if this thing goes to Socal or elsewhere. Too many transplants as it is, and placing all NFL teams here will inevitably mean many players or coaches will actually buy houses to live in...driving up costs for those of us who who are already here, and not just temporarily. The real danger is the constant air travel from city to city, not where they live. (Hotels for all players/staff wouldnt help much)

Imagine giving every player in the NFL the choice between six months in the Metroplex or in LA/San Diego.  

There's a reason that SoCal has hosted 11 Superbowls and DFW has hosted 1

Edited by VivaNaranja

10 minutes ago, VivaNaranja said:

Rose Bowl

LA Coliseum

Stubhub Stadium

SoFi Stadium

the reality is there is a good chance SoFi will be delayed because of all of this

SDCCU is a pile of shit and barely maintained

and StubHub holds 5,000 less than SMUs stajium does which means it is really small

plus if I am not mistaken The Rose Bowl and LA Coliseum are both grass and could not hold up to multiple games per day and many in a week

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

the reality is there is a good chance SoFi will be delayed because of all of this

SDCCU is a pile of shit and barely maintained

and StubHub holds 5,000 less than SMUs stajium does which means it is really small

plus if I am not mistaken The Rose Bowl and LA Coliseum are both grass and could not hold up to multiple games per day and many in a week

Maximum attendance is kind of irrelevant here. I mean StubHub hosted NFL games in 2019 for Gods sake

Do you think there's a slight chance the NFL might spring for artificial turf for 2020 if it means their season gets to happen?

I've been to TX/OU at the Cotton Bowl. I love TX/OU at the Cotton Bowl. Are you arguing that the Cotton Bowl is in better shape than SDCCU?

Edited by VivaNaranja

38 minutes ago, VivaNaranja said:

Maximum attendance is kind of irrelevant here. I mean StubHub hosted NFL games in 2019 for Gods sake

Do you think there's a slight chance the NFL might spring for artificial turf for 2020 if it means their season gets to happen?

I've been to TX/OU at the Cotton Bowl. I love TX/OU at the Cotton Bowl. Are you arguing that the Cotton Bowl is in better shape than SDCCU?

yea you are correct on the attendance since that will be irrelevant

and The Cotton Bowl is old and dumpy overall, but I am pretty sure there are parts of SDCCU that have been completely let go.....but again I suppose that does not matter with no crowds

and the NFL could spring for turf, but that is just another expense and another thing to get done

I think another issue is practice facilities.....I am sure there are plenty of places in SoCal that could work for that including some team training camps, but I think they would be much more spread out vs the available quantity in the Fort Worth dallas metro area and the closeness of those facilities

I think another major issue is time zones especially if you are shooting for multiple games in a day....if you wanted a game to show at 2pm east coast that is 11am west coast which is not extremely early, but I think players and coaches would like noon better for the time they are living in

plus starting at 2pm east coast means your second game of the day ends at 10pm east coast if it starts at 6pm

plus going back to back with one game immediately after the other leaves no time for the networks to fit in an hour to an hour and a half of bullshit chatter and commercials to try and make some money

being in the central time zone would matter for the game times and the time the players are living in and playing in

3 hours ago, VivaNaranja said:

Rose Bowl

LA Coliseum

Stubhub Stadium

SoFi Stadium

The loss of attendance damned sure wouldn't be noticed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, mdmost said:

And I'm kidding. I love Fort Worth. And you know I love Fred's. I'd love to have a Diablo Burger right now. 

Love Fred’s.  Sad to hear it closed.  Loved that they had ice cold Coors Banquet on tap all day everyday for $2.   And that Diablo Burger was something special.  Their business really slowed down after Angel left the kitchen. 

3 hours ago, markstanco said:
10 hours ago, VivaNaranja said:
Rose Bowl
LA Coliseum
Stubhub Stadium
SoFi Stadium

Read more  

That article really angered you.

Yep hit a nerve.  No one cares where something like this would be held, not people from the metroplex, not people from Southern California.  

I know it would probably upset Houston folks though, lulz.

3 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Unlike LA, huh?

Yep.

On 4/19/2020 at 7:32 PM, formermav43 said:

Yeah, it’s called weather. And it’s not really a factor for the bulk of the season as opposed to February.

Yep.

Even when it was at JerrahWorld, the national folks almost lost their minds because of the icestorm.

On 4/19/2020 at 7:32 PM, formermav43 said:

Yeah, it’s called weather. And it’s not really a factor for the bulk of the season as opposed to February.

Yeah the sole reason the Super Bowl has been in Florida, California, or New Orleans 80% of the time is weather.

Some locales are sexier than others.  Texas ain't as sexy.

Also the weather is absolutely a factor for the bulk of the season.  Just look at the average temperature and precipitation in Texas vs Southern California in the fall.  It's not even close.  It's more predictably comfortable (ie: not raining or snowing and not 90 degrees) in LA and San Diego.

Edited by VivaNaranja

9 hours ago, VivaNaranja said:

Yeah the sole reason the Super Bowl has been in Florida, California, or New Orleans 80% of the time is weather.

Some locales are sexier than others.  Texas ain't as sexy.

Also the weather is absolutely a factor for the bulk of the season.  Just look at the average temperature and precipitation in Texas vs Southern California in the fall.  It's not even close.  It's more predictably comfortable (ie: not raining or snowing and not 90 degrees) in LA and San Diego.

New York City is sexy. Wonder why there hasn’t been more Super Bowl there?

Edited by formermav43