PSA: 2011 Holiday Bowl on LHN

Bullneck

Ash being concussed out of his career still brings me pain. I recall the expression on his face when he came onto the field in plain clothes for Senior Day.

My own high school career was ended by two knee operations my sophomore and junior years back when the surgery was performed with flint and rawhide sutures. I was a big, fast, promising DL.

My feeling back then must be multiplied by something like a thousand for a young man who has advanced to starting QB at Texas on the verge of breaking out. His eyes were shiny with tears. I swallow some sorrow right now recalling it.

• Like 1

Our D played great that night. 

I miss the Holiday Bowl Big-12 tie in. 
I wish San Diego would build a new stadium that would receive higher profile bowl games. I also wish Texas would be good enough to qualify for the hypothetical bowl games.I miss going out there around New Years. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

And now you’re an embarrassing white knight, a male feminist that specializes in witless criticism of masculinity, on the Internet. My, how you have fallen.

It's true. It's all true. I'll never be a manly manful man with a man cave. I weep for what I've lost.

First game I took my son to.  Good times.  IIRC Machete pulls a Superman move at some point.  And that stadium was absolute shit.

... and it's not on.  Direct TV shows it as the Holiday Bowl but is actually showing the 2017 Texas Bowl.  Weird.

2 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

First game I took my son to.  Good times.  IIRC Machete pulls a Superman move at some point.  And that stadium was absolute shit.

... and it's not on.  Direct TV shows it as the Holiday Bowl but is actually showing the 2017 Texas Bowl.  Weird.

Holiday Bowl is over, and we won!

Right now we're slapping Mizzou around.  It's time to secure the bag.

3 hours ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

I wish San Diego would build a new stadium that would receive higher profile bowl games. I also wish Texas would be good enough to qualify for the hypothetical bowl games.I miss going out there around New Years. 

The Sugar Bowl was not hypothetical. 

3 hours ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

I went to the Holiday Bowl against Oregon in .....had to look it up...2000. Doesnt seem that long ago. Shitty result, but damn that was a fun trip. Big fan of the Holiday Bowl. Surprisingly Texas has more Holiday Bowl appearances (5, 3-2) than any other school other than BYU (11).

No gottee LHN since Vue went tits up. Would love to watch for any dynamic between Mack and Harsin - this was the "clipboard" game where  (allegedly) Mack ordered Harsin at halftime to go to Case for the second half, and Harsin handed Mack the game plan clipboard and told him he he could call the offense himself, because there were no plays on it for Case. Mack gave in, but demanded a win and Harsin guaranteed it. With one on the field and the other in the box, prolly won't be much interplay, but maybe some scowling and yapping made the camera.

I'll bet we can find the full game floating around youtube. Maybe I'll go watch that...

EDIT: def agree on missing it, Dago's a lot of fun.

Edited by Tex Long

3 hours ago, Tex Long said:

No gottee LHN since Vue went tits up. Would love to watch for any dynamic between Mack and Harsin - this was the "clipboard" game where  (allegedly) Mack ordered Harsin at halftime to go to Case for the second half, and Harsin handed Mack the game plan clipboard and told him he he could call the offense himself, because there were no plays on it for Case. Mack gave in, but demanded a win and Harsin guaranteed it. With one on the field and the other in the box, prolly won't be much interplay, but maybe some scowling and yapping made the camera.

I'll bet we can find the full game floating around youtube. Maybe I'll go watch that...

EDIT: def agree on missing it, Dago's a lot of fun.

Which game was this?

Hopped over a rb trying to cut him and earned his brother a scholarship.

San Diego is amaze balls. Why have tie-ins with only bowl games in Texas + the third tier Phoenix bowl in the baseball stadium? Big Ten has like 5 bowl games in Florida. We have Alamo as our #2 and Houston is 3 or 4??? Fuck that, make Michigan play in the Motor City Bowl, Michigan State can play the Little Caesar’s bowl, and Penn State can play the “Heart of Steel Smelting Bowl” in suburban Cleveland. 

On 4/17/2020 at 6:24 PM, EuroHorn said:

I was at that game.  Always enjoyed the holiday bowl.  Great city to visit during December 

I was too - was working on a contract and lucked into the game being there.  If I recall it was pretty cool outside and they were selling coffee/hot chocolate with alcohol inside.  Good times.  The other thing I remember is thinking my office TV was bigger than their tiny "jumbotron".

• 3 months later...

Texas at UCLA in the Rose Bowl on LHN RIGHT NOW!!!

- See David Ash!

- See Case McCoy!!

- Feel the crunching hits from Marquise Goodwin

- Hear noise from a blimp!

(Edit: Squints is on this team).

Edited by Bullneck

i attended that Texas @ UCLA game in 2011. I was at the UT-Los Angeles program at the time so practically all of our class attended that game. It was a lot of fun kicking UCLA's ass. All I remember about the UCLA broads were they were hot, but clueless as fuck when it came to football. They had no idea what was happening on the field