2020 Property Tax Values are out

Both Tacos

49 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

This is why I never pull a permit. Well, that and I don’t give a shit.

The permit is just the easy way for them to find out. I put up a 25'x30' metal building that I didn't permit and 3 years later it showed up as an improvement on my tax bill. They will catch up to exterior improvements. If done inside, unless it is structural I wouldn't pull a permit. It didn't affect it much since it was a metal building but I do know that some CAD also uses satellite images to obtain some property information. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

This is why I never pull a permit. Well, that and I don’t give a shit.

I'd like to be able to do an honest sellers disclosure when I sell this place and cash out on these stupid fucking californians and new yorkers ruining my home state. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Doesn’t a hot water replacement need a permit? Can they go over just for something that small? It’s like $1k

In Austin, damn near anything requires a permit. I just went to Home Depot to order a new front door and asked about the install cost. They said the City considers a new door structural so it requires a permit. I said nope, I’ll install it myself. Fuck that.
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I'd like to be able to do an honest sellers disclosure when I sell this place and cash out on these stupid fucking californians and new yorkers ruining my home state. 

Our last house we rearranged some interior walls and added plumbing. TCAD went in dry as it was a “major” remodel and classified our home’s condition as the best in the neighborhood. Nevermind we only remodeled 1/4 of the house. 

in the same spot as you currently. Want to extend a covered patio about 7 feet to add an outdoor kitchen with built in gas line and electric. Which would be 3 trades worth of permits. Honestly not sure what to do, won’t be here forever and want a stress free sale when that happens but fuck TCAD. They really incentivize people to not pull permits, which is ass backwards 

• Hook 'Em 1

Same boat.  I...err...my neighbor, wants to add a bathroom to his house.  No changing of the home’s envelope, just replacing an existing oversized hallway closet with a bathroom taking it from a 4/2 to 4/3.  

Assuming he can successfully dodge the permit inspectors who routinely canvas the neighborhood and it’s accurately disclosed down the road when it’s time to sell, between the months it takes to get a simple permit and the threat of taking the top off your homestead and exposing yourself to thousands more per year in outrageous taxes, it seems like the city purposefully incentivizes you not to pull permits.   

Edited by Chet Steadman

18 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

between the months it takes to get a simple permit and the threat of taking the top off your homestead and exposing yourself to thousands more per year in outrageous taxes, it seems like the city purposefully incentivizes you not to pull permits.   

Worst part is, I had a quote to build it late 2019 and could have skated through the 2020 freeze under the radar. But I procrastinated cause I was being a cheapskate, and now do I not only get to pay the hike in lumber and labor prices, but also get to brace for the no lube in 2022 as TCAD no doubt tries to catch up their books with the crazy ass market. 

In Austin, damn near anything requires a permit. I just went to Home Depot to order a new front door and asked about the install cost. They said the City considers a new door structural so it requires a permit. I said nope, I’ll install it myself. Fuck that.

Insane. I’ll just hire a friend to do it then

When you sell, where is it disclose if permits were pulled? My last two houses had remodels that, in theory, should have been permitted. I don’t remember the question even coming up. I looked online and the only permit I see was in ‘96 to build the workshop in the backyard. So, none of it was done under a permit. It definitely was not an issue during purchase or financing.

26 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

When you sell, where is it disclose if permits were pulled? My last two houses had remodels that, in theory, should have been permitted. I don’t remember the question even coming up. I looked online and the only permit I see was in ‘96 to build the workshop in the backyard. So, none of it was done under a permit. It definitely was not an issue during purchase or financing.

Item nine on the trec form. 

ETAL https://www.trec.texas.gov/sites/default/files/pdf-forms/OP-H_1.pdf

Edited by Anastasis