2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Perhaps, but folks like @washparkhorn among others have pointed out sources, issues, and perspectives to read and learn about that have given me much more to think about and mull over. And the "money guy" (sorry, I'm drawing a blank on his user name--maybe bernorange?) and @Anastasis also have provided alternate viewpoints and information that informs policy.

That would be one of my biggest drawbacks/weaknesses were I to be in a government role. I like to look over a variety of information sources but at some point, one has to set the aside and move forward with action. Just talking about it never realizes the goal. Sometimes I get paralyzed with indecision.

Oh, there are certainly progressives here, without a doubt. But the center of gravity is very much in the middle.

I really wonder if some of these people like Ag have ever actually met a progressive.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's always fun when drive-by posters characterize the Cloak Room as essentially a coffee klatch for liberals.

These last three weeks have been my only real foray into the Cloak Room of this, or the last, site. Gotta say, I was expecting a lot more spontaneous hacky sack.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Does Ag with Kids have some sort of history here that I'm not aware of? His avatar is a crying libs meme and every time he posts in here it's a bunch of low-effort garbage that he spends no time defending. Rather throwing out a few "both sides" and then disappearing into the void until he rinses and repeats a few months later. From what I can see he's one of the worst posters in here. Why is anyone attempting to engage him?

I used to post on Hornfans and then Shaggy all the time.  But, as I've pointed out, this place is like democraticunderground, so I just avoid it altogether.  However, bozo keeps tagging me and sucks me in, otherwise I'd leave you to your circle jerk.

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

He has history from old sites. He was never smart but it's just easier to see now. 

Used to be that the utter foolishness of GO TEAM GO politics was hard for some people to grasp because the deleterious effects were not as obvious to those lacking foresight. Guys like Ag With Kids and TahoeHorn. But now that the effects have been realized it takes a different kind of malevolent ignorance to still be oblivious. Bozo_Casanova still holds out hope for that type because they're not completely hopeless, but for me it's not worth the effort because they are willfully stupid and that's even worse than people who are unaware they're being dumb. Those who are unaware can be educated. Those who are willfully ignorant will refuse to learn, mostly because their pride won't let them admit that the people who were telling them this would happen for years were right and they were wrong. 

Hah...you amuse me.

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

He has history from old sites. He was never smart but it's just easier to see now. 

Used to be that the utter foolishness of GO TEAM GO politics was hard for some people to grasp because the deleterious effects were not as obvious to those lacking foresight. Guys like Ag With Kids and TahoeHorn. But now that the effects have been realized it takes a different kind of malevolent ignorance to still be oblivious. Bozo_Casanova still holds out hope for that type because they're not completely hopeless, but for me it's not worth the effort because they are willfully stupid and that's even worse than people who are unaware they're being dumb. Those who are unaware can be educated. Those who are willfully ignorant will refuse to learn, mostly because their pride won't let them admit that the people who were telling them this would happen for years were right and they were wrong. 

Calling Ag stupid is a semantic disservice. He/she is not stupid.  The more interesting consideration is how so many not-stupid people can end up lost on the dead end culdesac of Stupid Circle right next to the legit dummies.

The inability to see truth in front of you transcends intelligence. The Trump era has been a Master class in this.  

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

So it seems the preservation of American democracy and Trump’s hard stop on a despotic power grab came down to judges who Trump couldn’t fire and who are not beholden to the conservative street for re-election collectively saying, “No.  Now piss off” while Don’t Stop Believing fires up to play over the credits? 

I gotta say, as a series finale, it’s kind of a let down, but we are all probably better for it.

Shirley I'm not the only one who fired up Don't Stop Believing after reading this post. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Calling Ag stupid is a semantic disservice. He/she is not stupid.  The more interesting consideration is how so many not-stupid people can end up lost on the dead end culdesac of Stupid Circle right next to the legit dummies.

The inability to see truth in front of you transcends intelligence. The Trump era has been a Master class in this.  

Oh he's definitely being willfully stupid. He has the ability to realize what's going on but refuses and that's far worse. 

Edited by Huckleberry

19 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

There's tens of millions of Republicans who don't really like the nazis but just can't handle admitting to themselves that the liberals were right all along about what the GOP was at its core.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's always fun when drive-by posters characterize the Cloak Room as essentially a coffee klatch for liberals.

Way back before the Impeachment, wasn't there a quiz that plotted people's leanings on a graph of some sort? I can't recall where I landed but I want to say it was in the vicinity of John Major or some such. but according to the Pew Research quiz on political leanings, I have grown more liberal over the last four years. I believe in pushing back when there is a dragging towards the authoritarianism and and corporate rapacity that leads to an erosion of basic freedoms and quality of life issues for all Americans. Not just me and mine, but the people who are not in my bubble. Same thing with energy. I was big oil all the way baby, but I'm learning a lot about ways we can take on the challenge to preserve our finite natural resources instead of exhaust them.

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Way back before the Impeachment, wasn't there a quiz that plotted people's leanings on a graph of some sort? I can't recall where I landed but I want to say it was in the vicinity of John Major or some such. but according to the Pew Research quiz on political leanings, I have grown more liberal over the last four years. I believe in pushing back when there is a dragging towards the authoritarianism and and corporate rapacity that leads to an erosion of basic freedoms and quality of life issues for all Americans. Not just me and mine, but the people who are not in my bubble. Same thing with energy. I was big oil all the way baby, but I'm learning a lot about ways we can take on the challenge to preserve our finite natural resources instead of exhaust them.

Some have grown more liberal but really...

The current direction of the Republican Party redefining conservatism more likely means you grew less conservative.  Because you no longer fit into the box of what conservatism means in the era of Donald Trump. 

37 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'd like to think that the last thing what went through President Trump's head, other than that bullet, was how the hell Joe Biden ever got the best of him. 

serious question for those of you with mental illness insights.  Do narcissists typically tile one way or the other on suicide?  I would think they'd be an outlier group that is either wildly more prone to suicide or wildly much less likely to commit suicide than those in the "normal" range.  Once their illusion is torn down, I could see them either wanting to end it before facing reality, or simply not accepting that the illusion has been disproven and pressing on to rebuild it until they die of natural causes.  A few years from now, faced with serious indictments, out of money, waining support/no prospects of running seriously in 2024, family that doesn't talk to him, wife in another city, a legacy exposed, etc.  Obviously it's hard to kill yourself with secret service around all the time, but it's not impossible.  Drug overdose comes to mind.  

Short answer is no on the suicide question. He's a narcissist till the end. Reality won't make a difference, as he will continue to see himself as better than others, unfairly treated, etc. He'll react with petulance whenever his narcissism is bruised (just like during his presidency) but he won't change his stripes no matter how abysmal his life becomes. It's always someone else's fault. 

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Does @Anastasis know you are stealing his bit?

Here's the thing about delegitimizing out-party governance. There's high quality political science research from Thomas Mann and Norman Ornstein at AEI and many others that demonstrates that the Republican party has radicalized to a far greater degree than Democratic voters or other groups. In 2012, Mann and Ornstein identified two major factors driving the dysfunction of our politcs. The first was that our legislative system, unlike a parliamentary system, makes it difficult for majorities to act (See the "Hastert Rule", McConnell's virtually unprecedented refusal to bring bills with overwhelming, broad bipartisan support to the floor to avoid bipartisan success). The Second feature was outlined as follows: 

The Republican Party has become an insurgent outlier — ideologically extreme; contemptuous of the inherited social and economic regime; scornful of compromise; unpersuaded by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition

You can choose to reject that out of hand, and many Republicans have. Or you can pretend that it's a universal phenomenon as you do, above. But it's not. And the best example of that emerged over the last three weeks, when the sitting president of the united states attempted to overturn the results of a free and fair election through a combination of legal chicanery and political pressure on state legislatures and local officials with the broad support of most Republican voters and a combination of vocal support or silent assent from elected Republican office holders at the Federal level.  And it wasn't some reaction, either - it was the plan, all along.  To overturn the result if things didn't go their way, and it might have worked had Fox not called Arizona on election night. 

That's not both sides, and it's not just Trump. Trump is just an avatar. That's your party. Your party just attempted to steal a presidential election. Your party literally hosted Sydney Powell and Giuliani's crazy press conference. Your party is still, STILL raising money claiming to be fighting to reverse the results of the election. Your party, officially, asked a state board of canvassers to delay certification despite the clear limits of their ministerial duty in the system, to recount Georgia for a third time,  to make wild accusations without evidence, and on and on. That's not both sides. 

There is no Democrat Marjorie Taylor Greene in congress. There is no Democrat Louis Gohmert. There is no Democrat Donald Trump, and there is no Democratic plurality that buys into some left wing equivalent of the Q conspiracy. That's your party, alone, and it has drifted out of the American mainstream. And God help us if you don't come to your senses, because we (meaning, Americans who still beleive in Democracy and the rule of law) can't have a Republic without you. 

To add to this, the Democrats just nominated and the country just elected Joe fucking Biden, who ran on a platform of "once Trump is gone the GOP will wake up and we'll be able to work with them." There's clearly not much appetite on the left side of the aisle for behavior similar to what you've described. The GOP likes to play the counterfactual "well the libs would do the same if they were in power," but time after time after time we see from the actual actions of most Democrats that it's not the case.

Hell, I want to hate the right as much as they hate us. I don't want us to treat them as illegitimate political actors, but I fucking wish we'd throw this bipartisan unity bullshit into the trash can forever and more aggressively pursue liberal policies that will make the country and the world a better place. That makes me fairly radical on the spectrum of Democratic voters, and my contempt for and hatred of the right based on their actual recent and current behavior absolutely pales in comparison to their hatred of centrists, much less actual liberals, which is based on nothing but their own fever dreams. There's just no comparison.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

I used to post on Hornfans and then Shaggy all the time.  But, as I've pointed out, this place is like democraticunderground, so I just avoid it altogether.  However, bozo keeps tagging me and sucks me in, otherwise I'd leave you to your circle jerk.

Hah...you amuse me.

Sorry your boy lost. You'll always have the boat parade memories. Nobody can take those from you. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Some have grown more liberal but really...

The current direction of the Republican Party redefining conservatism more likely means you grew less conservative.  Because you no longer fit into the box of what conservatism means in the era of Donald Trump. 

That makes some sense, but I was and am a proponent of healthcare for all and believe it is a freedom that we should all have in this country. That was not the case until more data kept coming out (both for and against) during Obama's presidency. The GOP probably did have something to do with that though, as it laid bare some of the issues with the pharma and healthcare industries.

Not sure where that fits in the spectrum.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

To add to this, the Democrats just nominated and the country just elected Joe fucking Biden, who ran on a platform of "once Trump is gone the GOP will wake up and we'll be able to work with them." There's clearly not much appetite on the left side of the aisle for behavior similar to what you've described. The GOP likes to play the counterfactual "well the libs would do the same if they were in power," but time after time after time we see from the actual actions of most Democrats that it's not the case.

Hell, I want to hate the right as much as they hate us. I don't want us to treat them as illegitimate political actors, but I fucking wish we'd give throw this bipartisan unity bullshit into the trash can forever and more aggressively pursue liberal policies that will make the country and the world a better place. That makes me fairly radical on the spectrum of Democratic voters, and my contempt for and hatred of the right based on their actual recent and current behavior absolutely pales in comparison to their hatred of centrists, much less actual liberals, which is based on nothing but their own fever dreams. There's just no comparison.

I have a friend who insisted in 2016 that should DemoRAT cheating fail to overcome the Republican enthusiasm for Trump and Hillary Clinton lose, that Obama would declare martial law and establish a dictatorship. He is just today on Facebook, and well, here's the quote about what President Trump should do now:
"maybe martial law? think about that we all could live nicely and safely with him as a dictator..............Americans and America first"

This friend was recently a GOP county chair. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I have a friend who insisted in 2016 that should DemoRAT cheating fail to overcome the Republican enthusiasm for Trump and Hillary Clinton lose, that Obama would declare martial law and establish a dictatorship. He is just today on Facebook, and well, here's the quote about what President Trump should do now:
"maybe martial law? think about that we all could live nicely and safely with him as a dictator..............Americans and America first"

You need better friends.

3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

This is correct.

Just all those states certifying the vote - PA, GA, Michigan.  The largest county in Arizona already certified with the state set to finalize it on Monday.  Wisconsin Tuesday.

Bro, you lost.  Take the loss, pussy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Probably for another thread, but this shit right here? Infuriating.

It wasn't something that happened when Nixon was president... or Ford, or Carter for that matter. Reagan didn't do it. Neither did GHW Bush. Clinton didn't either, and W Bush only had three happen (in his first term). Obama didn't have any happen during his presidency either.

From 1960, there were 4 federal executions under presidents from both parties. That's four in sixty years. But there have been eight (!) federal executions under President Trump and AG Barr... All of them THIS YEAR.

And there are two more scheduled for December and one more in January (an African American, scheduled to be executed on MLK day... five days before the inauguration).

Between July 1 and January 15 of 2020, the Trump administration will facilitate 11 federal executions. Eleven in seven months, after only four in sixty years.

So, you can fully miss me with the GOP's "Pro Life" bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Does this friend own a certain billboard on nawfbound I-45 right outside of Dallas?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Only in the sense that the past 4 years have clarified the idea that a strong centralized government might actually do some things better than the alternative.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the past 4 years have also clarified how dangerous a strong centralized government can be.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

1000 posts and you still haven't figured out how to post a fucking youtube clip?

Antifa CONFERENCE CALL?????!!?!

tenor.gif

Normally I wouldn't believe this stuff because of how outlandish it sounds and being on OAN and all, but then I saw that beautiful gold chain hanging low in that unbuttoned shirt and though to myself "this guy seems like a strait shooter".  Also, he must be really smart and a really good detective if he was able to "get into" that dudes facebook page. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Does @Anastasis know you are stealing his bit?

Here's the thing about delegitimizing out-party governance. There's high quality political science research from Thomas Mann and Norman Ornstein at AEI and many others that demonstrates that the Republican party has radicalized to a far greater degree than Democratic voters or other groups. In 2012, Mann and Ornstein identified two major factors driving the dysfunction of our politcs. The first was that our legislative system, unlike a parliamentary system, makes it difficult for majorities to act (See the "Hastert Rule", McConnell's virtually unprecedented refusal to bring bills with overwhelming, broad bipartisan support to the floor to avoid bipartisan success). The Second feature was outlined as follows: 

The Republican Party has become an insurgent outlier — ideologically extreme; contemptuous of the inherited social and economic regime; scornful of compromise; unpersuaded by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition

You can choose to reject that out of hand, and many Republicans have. Or you can pretend that it's a universal phenomenon as you do, above. But it's not. And the best example of that emerged over the last three weeks, when the sitting Republican president of the united states attempted to overturn the results of a free and fair election through a combination of legal chicanery and open political pressure on state legislatures and local officials. 
He wasn't alone in that effort. He enjoyed the broad support of most Republican voters, and a combination of vocal support or silent assent from elected Republican office holders at the Federal level.  And it wasn't some reaction, either - it was the plan, all along.  The plan was to overturn the result if things didn't go their way, and it might have worked had Fox not called Arizona on election night. 

That's not both sides, and it's not just Trump. Trump is just an avatar. That's your party. Your party just attempted to steal a presidential election. Your party literally hosted Sydney Powell and Giuliani's crazy press conference. Your party is still, STILL raising money claiming to be fighting to reverse the results of the election. Your party, officially, asked a state board of canvassers to delay certification despite the clear limits of their ministerial duty in the system, to recount Georgia for a third time,  to make wild accusations without evidence, and on and on. That's not both sides. 

There is no Democrat Marjorie Taylor Greene in congress. There is no Democrat Louis Gohmert. There is no Democrat Donald Trump, and there is no Democratic plurality that buys into some left wing equivalent of the Q conspiracy. That's your party, alone, and it has drifted out of the American political tradition. And God help us if you don't come to your senses, because we (meaning, Americans who still beleive in Democracy and the rule of law) can't have a Republic without you. 

WoAs2BrvlLYGelyQXamWQCIQ1o1-wJCP8zh2HE6e

BC bringing the thunder.

23 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Exhibit eleventy billion in the case of "Every accusation is a confession."

Here's something for Ag with Kids to ponder.  Back in the Hornfans days, I was a moderate GWB defender.  I regularly said "there's plenty of stuff to criticize W for, but I think his critics have lost their minds, and are accusing him of shit for which there is no evidence, and no rational basis for that belief."  And now, I'm saying the EXACT same things about Trumpkins, and their insane ramblings about evil Dems.

Back in the Hornfans days, I regularly cited to The Economist as a source for information and and editorial approach with which I largely agreed.  On the human scale (meaning, considering all global political systems), The Economist is a center-right publication.  And I am a center-right person.

In Trumpmerica, that EXACT same approach -- what is center-right all over the world, and what was considered center-right here in the US for DECADES, now makes me a "soy boy libtard."

Something changed.  It wasn't The Economist.  By and large, it wasn't me.  ONE fucking wing of our political system went absolutely mental, and off the deep end.  Your wing.  Own it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the past 4 years have also clarified how dangerous a strong centralized government can be.

Agreed.  I think the Trump administration has illuminated much needed areas of reform.  It has also demonstrated just how important good leadership is in times of crisis.  We don't really have a "strong" (positive) centralized government, but it's certainly one that is capable of doing a lot of damage.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

ONE fucking wing of our political system went absolutely mental, and off the deep end.  Your wing.  Own it.

Not only that, they KNEW what he was; absolutely knew he is tied to the mob like his father before him. They knew that he had attempted to or considered running before, knew he was leveraged (security risk), and knew he was and is a narcissistic, sadistic, transactional man with zero ability to run a country. Sure he was 'elected,' but they stayed complicit as he ran this country like he was its owner not its leader. Like we live to serve him, not that he serves the country at the behest of the electorate. That is on the GOP (and really the Democratic party, too, for assuming that the handshakes would be honored.)

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

WoAs2BrvlLYGelyQXamWQCIQ1o1-wJCP8zh2HE6e

BC bringing the thunder.

Exhibit eleventy billion in the case of "Every accusation is a confession."

Here's something for Ag with Kids to ponder.  Back in the Hornfans days, I was a moderate GWB defender.  I regularly said "there's plenty of stuff to criticize W for, but I think his critics have lost their minds, and are accusing him of shit for which there is no evidence, and no rational basis for that belief."  And now, I'm saying the EXACT same things about Trumpkins, and their insane ramblings about evil Dems.

Back in the Hornfans days, I regularly cited to The Economist as a source for information and and editorial approach with which I largely agreed.  On the human scale (meaning, considering all global political systems), The Economist is a center-right publication.  And I am a center-right person.

In Trumpmerica, that EXACT same approach -- what is center-right all over the world, and what was considered center-right here in the US for DECADES, now makes me a "soy boy libtard."

Something changed.  It wasn't The Economist.  By and large, it wasn't me.  ONE fucking wing of our political system went absolutely mental, and off the deep end.  Your wing.  Own it.

But the thing is that his critics were usually correct, but you weren't ready to admit that yet. Under Bush the Republican party was suppressing black voters via voter purges (specifically targeting black troops who were deployed), appointed unqualified dipshits to important positions with disastrous and lethal consequences, fired a bunch of US attorneys for refusing to gin of fake voter fraud charges to support their vote suppression efforts, falsified the case for war, called Democrats traitors for not supporting war, etc. Were they as blatantly stupid as the Trump administration and its congressional lickspittles? No. And there are some small differences. For example, Bush deserves a (small) amount of credit for not personally encouraging violence against Muslim Americans after 9/11. But his administration overall was shockingly similar to the Trump administration; it just wasn't quite as gauche about it.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

ONE fucking wing of our political system went absolutely mental, and off the deep end.  Your wing.  Own it.

But Brisket, don't you remember all those people worshipping the previous presidents, and running around with Bill Clinton GWB and Obama flags and hats screaming at the opposition?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Bad_teammate and like 2 other posters are enthusiastically far left, and they meet almost as much resistance as the Trumpers whenever they post any of their ideas other than “Trump is awful.”  

This board is extremely anti-Trump, but the same people were probably majority Republican in 2015 (even after subtracting all the Republicans who are still loyal to Trump that left for Daily Texan).   This board is a haven for Never Trumpers and moderate Democrats.  

I'm fairly new to this board. I've been wondering, when did the Trumpers all leave for DT? I'm trying to imagine this board with a bunch of Trumpers mixed in. It must have been a blood bath. 

9 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

But Brisket, don't you remember all those people worshipping the previous presidents, and running around with Bill Clinton GWB and Obama flags and hats screaming at the opposition?

Hell, in my facebook memories the other day, I came across a photo I took of a truck with what at the time I thought was tons of flags and stickers supporting the NY Giants.  Thought the truck was hysterical at the time, and I hadn't seen anything like it.  I looked at the picture yesterday, and it just looked like an extremely sedate on tranquilizers version of the MAGA trucks.