2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

And actually this thread I just saw is the best summary of the 2020 GOP I've seen yet.

Exactly. I’ve been saying this for a long time about Trump specifically. His supporters are a cult of personality. If you want to erode his support, attack him personally and tie his name to failure.

But that’s only half the battle. You also have to drive support for the Dem candidate, and that requires generating hope and optimism. 

Having The Lincoln Project dudes to do the dirty work of attacking Trump while Biden runs a positive campaign focused on his own merits is the ideal situation. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

$100,000 for a zoom meeting?

Yeah, but you get to ask the first question. 

You guys know I'm team Biden this cycle, and I think Pete has a really bright political future ahead of him and I'd like to be a part of it.

Having said that, paying money to listen to him speak with Hillary Clinton sounds about as fun as reordering my daughter's 128-marker Crayola set.  Which I did last night.  With great pride.  

Zero chance of it happening, but if Trump announced he was dropping out of the race, and the GOP put up Marco Rubio as their candidate against Joe Biden, I think Rubio would win.

But there is no chance of that happening.
The Trump base would absolutely not go for that, and the GOP cannot win without them.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

That's a bold move considering, no matter what you think of Trump, you could make a two hour clip movie of his myriad verbal fuckups just since he took office.  

There's often a fine line between bold and stupid.  We both know what side of that line team trump falls on...

Fuck all this talk of him resigning and them running someone else.  This is a fucking test of our nation.  We need to soundly defeat him at the ballot box (suppression and cheating notwithstanding) and send him packing.  If we fail to do so, we will reap the consequences.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

it would be tough for another GOP candidate to keep trump's base and also gain GOP never-trumpers that they'd need to win.  how do you distance yourself from trump without losing his base?

That's the poison pill problem for the GOP....which actually makes them an existential threat to the Republic.

There is no future for the GOP without being 100% in a the Trumpism loyalty test.  They cannot win without his base, and any criticism of Trump or anything he's ever done is an unforgivable sin that requires that you be cast out.  So, the GOP and Trumpism are one and the same.

But that is not sustainable long term (or maybe even short term).  Based on what it has become, the GOP is going to have a hard time winning national elections.  And they can't become something less loathsome, because that would hurt their electoral fortunes even worse.  So, what is their only path to victory/power?  Cheating, fraud, disenfranchisement, every fucking dirty thing you can think of, and more.  They are going to be openly anti-democratic process, and even worse behind the scenes. 

When it comes to the GOP, which is now the party of Trump, and only Trump, remember the two truisms: 1) it only gets worse, and 2) there is no bottom.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That's the poison pill problem for the GOP....which actually makes them an existential threat to the Republic.

There is no future for the GOP without being 100% in a the Trumpism loyalty test.  They cannot win without his base, and any criticism of Trump or anything he's ever done is an unforgivable sin that requires that you be cast out.  So, the GOP and Trumpism are one and the same.

But that is not sustainable long term (or maybe even short term).  Based on what it has become, the GOP is going to have a hard time winning national elections.  And they can't become something less loathsome, because that would hurt their electoral fortunes even worse.  So, what is their only path to victory/power?  Cheating, fraud, disenfranchisement, every fucking dirty thing you can think of, and more.  They are going to be openly anti-democratic process, and even worse behind the scenes. 

When it comes to the GOP, which is now the party of Trump, and only Trump, remember the two truisms: 1) it only gets worse, and 2) there is no bottom.

I think that's right.

If Trump drops out and they take Pence--and I think this late in the game, that's probably the only person who it could be--you're not going to see the Never-Trumpers come running back.  Pence has the Trump stain all over him.

But meanwhile, you lose a lot of those people who are in it for Trump and only for Trump.  I don't know how many people those are, but there are a lot in places like Arizona and Pennsylvania who just are in it for the outrageousness of it and fall back into the non-voting woodwork as soon as Trump is out of the picture.

That being said, without Trump as a motivator, how energized is the Democratic base to vote for Joe Biden?

GOP running anyone other than Trump is about salvaging the down ballot races as much as anything. Note the comment above about Cornyn calling out Trump. They're nervous about Trump leading them to a wipeout in November and will bail on him to save their own asses.

Given recent headlines, I'd like to see this happen: Trump loses in November, he flees to Russia the day of Biden's inauguration, Iran asks that six-party talks reconvene immediately with the offer of reinstating the old deal in exchange for the extradition of Dotard, the new deal is signed days later, Iran televises a ridiculous show trial which all the networks run during the day garnering tremendous (the best, you wouldn't believe how great) ratings, and, because I am merciful, he's sentenced to life in a 6x8 cell with no solid walls and a 24-hour live camera feed on a new website called rthedonald.yuge.

I'd settle for Biden winning, though.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think that's right.

If Trump drops out and they take Pence--and I think this late in the game, that's probably the only person who it could be--you're not going to see the Never-Trumpers come running back.  Pence has the Trump stain all over him.

But meanwhile, you lose a lot of those people who are in it for Trump and only for Trump.  I don't know how many people those are, but there are a lot in places like Arizona and Pennsylvania who just are in it for the outrageousness of it and fall back into the non-voting woodwork as soon as Trump is out of the picture.

That being said, without Trump as a motivator, how energized is the Democratic base to vote for Joe Biden?

i think the known knowns (/rummy/) are that there are a half dozen R senators in real jeopardy.  there are known unknowns which is what the whipsaw reaction to no trump would be to the rest of them.  there could be some party revolt.  I think the Rs are just going to say, sorry mcsally et al., we can't jeopardize it getting any worse by doing something radical.  you're toast and that's the sad fact of it.

On 6/28/2020 at 3:07 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Has that EVER HAPPENED? Voter turnout in m 2016% was an all time low at like 50%. But 95%? 

I think voting should be mandatory. Don’t vote? Driver’s Live we revoked. Tax Penalty engaged. Fucking something. 

Add a “none of the above” option and I’m in. 

That's just it.  IF you don't like the Presidential candidates, write somebody in.  But show up and get engaged on your county commissioners, city council members, school board members, local judges, etc.  Something.  Take a fucking stand on something.  In larger elections (I guess in Texas they're really mid-term cycles due to our calendar, 2018 & 2022, etc.)...make people vote in at least one race.  You can leave the rest of the shit blank, but vote in something.  I don't understand how people can be part of a community for years and not know one person that runs for something one time.  Even if you're in some disenfranchised area...you're gonna at least know one of the candidates for your city council district or local courts. 

tl;dr, I don't know Trump and I hope he dies.  

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Bunker bitch is honestly the most effective attack against Trump with his base.  All his horrible policies, scientific facts about Covid and how he’s mishandled it, shaming them about his blatant racism or stupidity- none of that moves the needle.  Making him look like a pussy or a loser works, though.  All he is to them is their champion to fight against the libs.  Once he looks weak or loses, he loses all value to them.

That and the Russian bounty thing. The Democrats should be absolutely hammering on that but as is tradition they'll lose focus and wander off to some other stupid thing.

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

That and the Russian bounty thing. The Democrats should be absolutely hammering on that but as is tradition they'll lose focus and wander off to some other stupid thing.

They didn't lose focus on the Ukraine bribe.  I don't think they'll lose focus on this.  There are going to be congressional hearings, and it's going to get ugly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

They didn't lose focus on the Ukraine bribe.

Ah-hah!  So you admit the bribes to Taliban warlords to kill American troops came not from Russia, but from the Ukraine!  

18 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

That’s why my comfort level is much higher with the Lincoln Project team tearing him a new ass.  Throughout their illustrious history, the democrats have stolen many a defeat from the jaws of victory.  The R operatives are needed.  I know there’s far left people like BT who think there’s been far more dangerous Republicans but most of us get that nobody is more dangerous than this god damned POS.  

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:
9 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:
This is still possible.
Ebrn1kfXsAEl87F?format=jpg&name=medium

I'd say no it's not actually. There's no world where PA is more Democratic than VA or CO but Michigan stays with Trump.

Yeah there is no way Michigan votes for trump.

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

That’s why my comfort level is much higher with the Lincoln Project team tearing him a new ass.  Throughout their illustrious history, the democrats have stolen many a defeat from the jaws of victory.  The R operatives are needed.  I know there’s far left people like BT who think there’s been far more dangerous Republicans but most of us get that nobody is more dangerous than this god damned POS.  

It's not so much that there have been "far more dangerous Republicans" its that the Lincoln Project guys have pushed the same agenda that Team Trump pushes. They just do it politely.

Also, is Lincoln Project rolling these ads out on TV beyond DC?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

It's not so much that there have been "far more dangerous Republicans" its that the Lincoln Project guys have pushed the same agenda that Team Trump pushes. They just do it politely.

The dangerous part is pitting large groups of this country against each other.  The polite thing actually matters.  Not posting racist rhetoric from official WH communication channels is a really big deal.  You can say 'same agenda' but their agenda is NOT the same as Stephen Miller's...and who do you think has more influence on this Presidency than Miller?  It's obvious he's the puppet master. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Foosters said:

They’re running in swing states.

mainly Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

• Like 1

Dems need to remember the term “ eyes on the prize” this year. The GOP might have a few curveballs in the works. They might even change candidates, but the election is bigger then trump. 

we need to win for the 2 Supreme Court justices Breyer and ginsburg. We need to preserve the house majority, we need to kick McConnell’s ugly turtle ass out of the senate majority position, and we need to win as many races / seats as possible to get the best deal in redistricting that we possibly can. No other way to say it, but the dems got raped in 2010 redistricting. Paul Ryan and company went in dry with no lube or courtesy spit, and we can’t let the GOP dominate that process for 2 cycles in a row.

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

Yeah I’m getting sick of the cock sucking of the Lincoln Project.

Go back and look at Rick Wilson’s tweets before he found religion - he was a odious race baiting culture war shitbag. Research what he did to Max Cleland.

The Steve guy (last name escapes me at the moment) was McCain’s campaign manager who foisted Sarah Fucking Palin on us.

They’re good for what we need right now - amoral shit slingers who will go lower than dirt to shade and attack but the almost deification of these goons and the whitewashing of their past actions is sickening.

They may have lept out of the house before it fully engulfed but those assholes were laid up in that house playing with lighter fluid and matches for decades.

I’ll applaud their mean ads and be happy they’ve turned their lack of moral compass against Trump but they will never get any of my money and come November 4, 2020 they can fuck right off.

This may be the wine talking, but why is there a Jonas brother as your avatar?

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Bunker bitch is honestly the most effective attack against Trump with his base.  All his horrible policies, scientific facts about Covid and how he’s mishandled it, collusion with Russia, shaming them about his blatant racism or stupidity - none of that moves the needle.  Making him look like a pussy or a loser works, though.  

All he is to them is their champion to fight against the libs.  Once he looks weak or loses, he loses all value to them.

Bunker Bitch and Moscow Mitch should be a chant at the DNC. Just sayin'.

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Go back and look at Rick Wilson’s tweets before he found religion - he was a odious race baiting culture war shitbag. Research what he did to Max Cleland.

The Steve guy (last name escapes me at the moment) was McCain’s campaign manager who foisted Sarah Fucking Palin on us.

They’re good for what we need right now - amoral shit slingers who will go lower than dirt to shade and attack but the almost deification of these goons and the whitewashing of their past actions is sickening.

They may have lept out of the house before it fully engulfed but those assholes were laid up in that house playing with lighter fluid and matches for decades.

I’ll applaud their mean ads and be happy they’ve turned their lack of moral compass against Trump but they will never get any of my money and come November 4, 2020 they can fuck right off.

I don't think anyone feels any differently than your above take. I think everyone on good guy team realizes it's a temporary "enemy of my enemy" arrangement and has no intentions of aligning with them. The "cock sucking" you're referring to I think is simply being impressed at their ability to hammer the right notes against Trump.

I for one am relieved that we are (temporarily) aligned with an ally that will clearly and constantly put the right branding on Trump, because I have no faith in the Democrat Party to do so. The stuff they are putting out is harder hitting and better than anything the party has put out in four years. 

Doesn't mean I'm ready to throw on my Jeb! hat and build a bunch of private prisons and start a war in Iran.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 5

How did Abrams turn around Georgia?  The betting markets are nearly 50-50 in that state.
I still remember in 2008-2016 when nobody was talking about Georgia being competitive. It seemingly came out of nowhere, but I love it.

Trump happened
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Csb/ Max Cleland and I are fraternity brothers from Florida.  One of the most impressive people I have ever met in my life.  

All that to say, I'm wondering exactly what impact Lincoln Project is having on others.  Are we who do not like Trump seeing what we want to see?  Is it getting to vulnerable Trump supporters who may be able to be turned?  Is it just motivating Biden folks?  What's the play?  

36 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I don't think anyone feels any differently than your above take. I think everyone on good guy team realizes it's a temporary "enemy of my enemy" arrangement and has no intentions of aligning with them. The "cock sucking" you're referring to I think is simply being impressed at their ability to hammer the right notes against Trump.

There is a certain segment of #Resistance Dems that seem overly in love with The Lincoln Project. These people are almost as excited to see Leftist candidates fail as they are with Republicans. 

If there was an AOC type nominee in ‘24 or ‘28, some of these Resisters/Never Berners might cross the aisle with a more palatable R candidate. It’s something to keep an eye on. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Bunker bitch is honestly the most effective attack against Trump with his base.  All his horrible policies, scientific facts about Covid and how he’s mishandled it, collusion with Russia, shaming them about his blatant racism or stupidity - none of that moves the needle.  Making him look like a pussy or a loser works, though.  

All he is to them is their champion to fight against the libs.  Once he looks weak or loses, he loses all value to them.

EbC60HxXkAAS8W6?format=png&name=small

• Like 1