2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, honolulu horn said:

Baffling, even with the Cuban / Venezuelan angle posted above. His policy is to call brown people, rapists / murderers / drug lords, build a wall to keep them out, and separate parents from kids at the border while keeping them in cages -- while some die. Should be pretty low hanging fruit for an ad spot or two, aimed directly at Latinx populations. 

Y’all ever been to West Texas? First, they will laugh in your face at using the word latinx. Second, most of the “mexicans “ out there are more conservative than you can imagine. Don’t believe me? Go to the comments on the Midland Reporter Telegram’s Facebook page and prepare to be amazed. These folks are somewhere to the right of Sarah Palin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, honolulu horn said:

Baffling, even with the Cuban / Venezuelan angle posted above. His policy is to call brown people, rapists / murderers / drug lords, build a wall to keep them out, and separate parents from kids at the border while keeping them in cages -- while some die. Should be pretty low hanging fruit for an ad spot or two, aimed directly at Latinx populations. 

I don't know about Venezuelans, but it's not baffling at all that Cubans vote Republican, particularly older ones .

Cubans historically have been able to just wash up onto US territory (literally in some cases) and claim amnesty. They can bypass the majority of the immigration process that most of the rest of the world, and all other LA citizens are subjected. They have been anointed the chosen people for political reasons and many tend to vote just like their entitled white brethren. Obama nixing the amnesty program not long before leaving office probably turned even more of them off of the Democrats.

Cubans should be treated as their own category (or considered whites) in political polls and surveys and not lumped into the broader Hispanic/Latinx grouping. 

Edited by berlinerbaer
"of" not "to"
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I see it some on Twitterville. It's not always the white people that use the term. A rocking 2% want to be called Latinx. 5% Chicano. That's a dying word. There is a big split between Hispanic and Latino. 44 to 24, and then the range of nations. That's why Hispanic isn't higher imo. Don't call me something from where my family didn't live. 

I have to wait for them to declare themselves before I feel comfortable as big dumb cracker addressing them in any of the terms. 

10 hours ago, MidTexHorn said:

Y’all ever been to West Texas? First, they will laugh in your face at using the word latinx. Second, most of the “mexicans “ out there are more conservative than you can imagine. Don’t believe me? Go to the comments on the Midland Reporter Telegram’s Facebook page and prepare to be amazed. These folks are somewhere to the right of Sarah Palin. 

I get that, but it seems like caging up Mexicans and having some die at the border might change their attitudes. Apparently not, though. This whole Trump reality is so fucked. 

I see it some on Twitterville. It's not always the white people that use the term. A rocking 2% want to be called Latinx. 5% Chicano. That's a dying word. There is a big split between Hispanic and Latino. 44 to 24, and then the range of nations. That's why Hispanic isn't higher imo. Don't call me something from where my family didn't live. 

I have to wait for them to declare themselves before I feel comfortable as big dumb cracker addressing them in any of the terms. 

Like a lot of things there's an age component. It's a lot more popular with younger/college educated crowd. So it definitely depends who you ask.

My mom (from Mexico) saw Latinx the other day for the first time in print.   She asked me what that meant and I explained what most of you have pointed out. 

she brought up a great point.  What are these people gonna do when they realize that all half million nouns in Spanish have masculine or feminine articles?  And most of the adjectives used to describe them change their ending based on the masculine or feminine article attached to the noun?  Even if you just want to change the article for people, because of identity politics.  What do you do with describing a funny, tall, political Latinx?

Unx Graciosx Altx Politicx Latinx?

Careful when you want to overcorrect politically, it ends up being insane and futile.  

I don't think I've seen anyone apply an x to any of the standard vocabulary. It's in reference to a person. It's the same basic idea of male/female pronouns in English. I'm not going to get bent out of shape about how some person wants to identity themselves. You want me to put you down on the sheet as Nicaraguan-American, Mexican, Salvadoran, Tejano, Chicano, Latino, that's all up to you. You're identity is your own business. Just let me know what I'm supposed call you. 

40 minutes ago, Lobo said:

My mom (from Mexico) saw Latinx the other day for the first time in print.   She asked me what that meant and I explained what most of you have pointed out. 

she brought up a great point.  What are these people gonna do when they realize that all half million nouns in Spanish have masculine or feminine articles?  And most of the adjectives used to describe them change their ending based on the masculine or feminine article attached to the noun?  Even if you just want to change the article for people, because of identity politics.  What do you do with describing a funny, tall, political Latinx?

Unx Graciosx Altx Politicx Latinx?

Careful when you want to overcorrect politically, it ends up being insane and futile.  

I think it is more of a collective pronoun thing.  you are talking about latinos / latinas as a group.  "he captured x% of the latinx population."

it isn't used -- to my gringx knowledge -- for an individual person.  so the tall funny political latinx isn't really an issue.  no one is trying to avoid un gracioso alto politico latino.

also think it is dumb like your mom does, but i think your mom is missing the point a little.  i just think it is a overly cumbersome solution to a non-problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I think it is more of a collective pronoun thing.  you are talking about latinos / latinas as a group.  "he captured x% of the latinx population."

it isn't used -- to my gringx knowledge -- for an individual person.  so the tall funny political latinx isn't really an issue.  no one is trying to avoid un gracioso alto politico latino.

also think it is dumb like your mom does, but i think your mom is missing the point a little.  i just think it is a overly cumbersome solution to a non-problem.

This was always my understanding.  Instead of writing out latino/a, it's latinx.  Is that wrong?

I did a little private school shopping with my wife this weekend for our two kids. There are several schools in Irving, Plano, Coppell, Frisco that are >60% Asian. I know Sugar Land is similar in Houston. Question - do you guys think Kamala (Indian mom) could tap into these voters as VP?

45 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Tweet was deleted. Here is a screenshot (Sorry, Biff) 

Here's another tweet that he posted in the thread that was deleted even earlier. 

what an absolute piece of shit. but he's a trump supporter, so I'm being redundant.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, Tuco said:

No shit. At this point, they might as well just start tweeting Biden campaign materials. Because that stuff connects less effectively than old family photos.

I was going to make a post that at some point Biden needs to make the case to vote for him, but the way things are going will he even need to do so? 

These dipshits keep digging a deeper and deeper hole. 

Here’s some interesting information that adds to the Biden leads in Texas poll .

I think that is probably misleading. At this point, the digital campaign is likely more focused on fundraising than turning out the vote. I’m betting a lot of that are ads geared for fleecing the sheep.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

I'm  a Mestizo who's parents never lived in Mexico. I'm find with Hispanic - I've got some Spanish blood. I'm okay with Latino.  I'm from Texas, I'm not some pinche California Chicano. 

"Bad hombre" of course is preferred.

In my rudimentary Spanish there are masculine and feminine nouns, so I am fine with Latino or Latina, but Latinx is just too fucking tricked up.  If a trans person wants me to call them something special I have no problem with that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Tweet was deleted. Here is a screenshot (Sorry, Biff) 

Here's another tweet that he posted in the thread that was deleted even earlier. 

Anyone else notice how the GOP has to dig up things that happened over 30 years ago to try and attack biden?

I have to go back probably 1 or 2 hours to find something about trump. Those guys are totally sad and pathetic.

8 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Anyone else notice how the GOP has to dig up things that happened over 30 years ago to try and attack biden?

imagine digging around, seeing that picture, and thinking "bullseye, i got you now, motherfucker, now where is my twitter app?"

has anyone unearthed a photo of trump enjoying spending time with any of his male children?  there are several of them (children), and there should be ~40 years of photos to pick from.  i'll wait here.

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Biden will win. Trump will lose. And my Texas bet with anastasis (with odds) is looking better every day. 

You're gonna have to refresh my memory on that one.  I don't recall you or me accepting any wager, but I may very well be forgetting it. Otherwise I agree with your analysis.  Trump is dead in the water. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You're gonna have to refresh my memory on that one.  I don't recall you or me accepting any wager, but I may very well be forgetting it. Otherwise I agree with your analysis.  Trump is dead in the water. 

It was $500 with odds. Trump v Biden who wins Texas. I don’t recall the exact odds but I took a screenshot of the odds at the time. It was like 62-38 or something like that. 

If you want to renegotiate I’ll listen. But we definitely have a bet. You are still the favorite.

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

It was $500 with odds. Trump v Biden who wins Texas. I don’t recall the exact odds but I took a screenshot of the odds at the time. It was like 62-38 or something like that. 

If you want to renegotiate I’ll listen. But we definitely have a bet. You are still the favorite.

Can you link that? Happy to stand by it if we booked it, but you'll need to provide the link. I just need to know my exposure so I can arbitrage it on predictit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Can you link that? Happy to stand by it if we booked it, but you'll need to provide the link. I just need to know my exposure so I can arbitrage it on predictit. 

Sure. But I’m not searching it tonight. I’ll get to it like that study you wanted me to find. When I get to it. 

33 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Nope nope nope.  Don't need this.  Do not rest until they are at the bottom of the Atlantic in a cage.

I read that electoral map and registered my wife to vote this evening. She got her citizenship last year. I'm upset texas still leans R. I want a Reagan v Mondale type landslide.  She will be voting straight ticket dem. Does this make you happy? 

• Like 6