2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

It’s not about y’all. College grads with jobs and an understanding of politics and their rights are not the intended audience. They will seek to intimidate poor and minority voters. 

I used to vote in the loop in St. Louis. It’s nelly’s old stomping grounds. The idea that a couple MAGA dorks could intimidate that crowd is laughably absurd. They’d Shit their pants. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

It’s not about y’all. College grads with jobs and an understanding of politics and their rights are not the intended audience. They will seek to intimidate poor and minority voters. 

It is known.  There will be enough good guys to curb those tactics.  In today’s day and age word spreads fast and it won’t fly on any large scale.  

edit: it’s awesome that you think we surly CR morons have an understanding of politics. Thanks?

Edited by ChiTownDoc

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I used to vote in the loop in St. Louis. It’s nelly’s old stomping grounds. The idea that a couple MAGA dorks could intimidate that crowd is laughably absurd. They’d Shit their pants. 

The Loop is more that Nelly’s hood. It’s also a hip college area and home to one of the top universities in the country. 

Contrast that with a place like Ferguson or East St Louis. A bunch of white folks show up there, looking official and harassing people, and voters might just stay home to avoid the hassle. 

It will be even worse in places like the Deep South, but very few of those states are contested. Georgia is where I’d expect the most problems. And left-leaning Hispanic areas of Texas. 

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

The Loop is more that Nelly’s hood. It’s also a hip college area and home to one of the top universities in the country. 

Contrast that with a place like Ferguson or East St Louis. A bunch of white folks show up there, looking official and harassing people, and voters might just stay home to avoid the hassle. 

It will be even worse in places like the Deep South, but very few of those states are contested. Georgia is where I’d expect the most problems. And left-leaning Hispanic areas of Texas. 

Georgia I could buy that being a problem possibly. East St Louis?  Nah man, I believe the MAGA dorks would fear the citizenry there about 100 times more than the citizenry would fear the MAGA dorks. 
I hope y’all feel really silly when Trump loses by 7-13  points and leaves office with his tail tucked between his legs. Because y’all are being really silly. 

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Voter intimidation is not the problem in south Texas and wont be this fall. The problem has always been voter apathy. Hopefully that changes this fall. 

8 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Voter intimidation is not the problem in south Texas and wont be this fall. The problem has always been voter apathy. Hopefully that changes this fall. 

Yep. 

Seriously- in a map of the entire United States, Georgia (and maybe North Carolina) are the only places I see this as even remotely plausible. 

Dead on right on Tejas. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Georgia I could buy that being a problem possibly. East St Louis?  Nah man, I believe the MAGA dorks would fear the citizenry there about 100 times more than the citizenry would fear the MAGA dorks. 

Your “tough neighborhood” view is naive. Street gangs, drug dealers, etc. — basically all the groups that make a neighborhood intimidating to would-be gentrifiers — aren’t voting. And it’s not about intimidating them. It’s about scaring away good people who have understandable aversion to authority and the legal system, because they don’t understand it, because people they care about have been run over by it, and because it’s never brought anything good to them or their neighborhood. 

I’m familiar with those kinds of neighborhoods. (The Loop is frankly a laughable example). And I’ve seen how easily otherwise tough, poor black people can be intimidated by the mere appearance of legal authority. It’s the result of a history of oppression and inequity. Voter intimidation is a real threat. Ignoring it because Ice Cube could beat up Ben Shapiro is stupid.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep. 

Seriously- in a map of the entire United States, Georgia (and maybe North Carolina) are the only places I see this as even remotely plausible. 

Dead on right on Tejas. 

It will happen in Georgia. Kemp will do whatever he can to intimidate his black constituents and his racist white supporters will applaud him for it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Apathy and intimidation work hand-in-hand. The less motivated a voter, the easier it is to scare them away from the ballot box. 

3 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

(The Loop is frankly a laughable example). 

I used to laugh at that in the song. It was lower middle class black but closer to middle than lower. It wasn’t even close to the really sketchy parts of St. Louis on the east side. 
that said- most of my law school classmates shit their pants over the place I lived and opted for Clayton which was safer and whiter. We were basically the only white people on our street, that shopped at our gas station whatever. I felt scared ever like twice in 3 years- one time when a guy two doors down pulled a gun on my neighbor. Then looked over at me (was sitting on my porch minding my own business) but that and the other time weren’t people from my neighborhood causing or looking for trouble. 
People in the county though thought we lived in the hood. The idea of them disrupting my polling site is humorous to me. Nope. Not in a million years. 
it’s what Chi Town said- all talk. 
All of these fears and boasts and all this other nonsense is pure fantasy. 

You didn’t live in the hood. You lived in probably the most educated neighborhood in the city. The GOP isn’t going to send a goon squad into the Harvard Square of St Louis. 

I’m talking about neighborhoods like those in North County, where the law-abiding majority is used to keeping their heads down and where they do things like give a fake name to any white person who introduces themselves. Those are the people whose deep-seated suspicion of authority makes them ripe for intimidation. 

But, you know, feel free to keep ignoring the stories of the GOP training an army of “poll watchers.” I’m sure the Republicans are wasting their time and money on something they know won’t work, and we shouldn’t do anything about it. 

43 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

You didn’t live in the hood. You lived in probably the most educated neighborhood in the city. The GOP isn’t going to send a goon squad into the Harvard Square of St Louis. 

I’m talking about neighborhoods like those in North County, where the law-abiding majority is used to keeping their heads down and where they do things like give a fake name to any white person who introduces themselves. Those are the people whose deep-seated suspicion of authority makes them ripe for intimidation. 

But, you know, feel free to keep ignoring the stories of the GOP training an army of “poll watchers.” I’m sure the Republicans are wasting their time and money on something they know won’t work, and we shouldn’t do anything about it. 

It’s like you aren’t listening. I said it wasn’t the hood. And yet by virtue of what it was it scared all the white people out in the county. Cmon man keep up. 
put another way- the white people with guns out to protect their property live in a much nicer place and yet they are getting charged. Those clowns aren’t going to intimidate anyone where I lived. 

Here's a couple of thing about the rural counties when it comes to Trump's army of intimidators:

1) Most are so red, that they feel the blue votes are a joke, so they won't put much into intimidation there.

2) Many of them aren't concerned with anything other than Trump getting re-elected. 

3) A lot of precincts in rural Texas have no Democratic presence in working the polls as judges or workers.  Therein can be enough misdirection and intimidation in the polling place.  Since poll workers can only work in their resident county, it limits who can  be drawn from.  We can't pull in workers from other places.  So if you live rural, please consider being a poll worker or poll judge.   We will also have a small group of poll watchers who can monitor polling locations for intimidation by poll workers or others outside.  

4) The TDP is pushing hard the "your vote matters" message to get out the vote in the rural counties, because they know they need to win all the way up and down the ballot, and personally I feel a lot of red voters again won't take seriously that blue vote, feeling secure that everyone is focused solely on Trump.   

5) One thing about the COVID is that a lot of us in rural counties are getting more interaction with and exposure to all the candidates.  We will be having Zoom meetings with all the candidates for judges, for example.  We are now not the 'drive through' counties, but the 'zoomed into.'  So instead of people passing over candidates they don't know, now there will be more connection there, thus more votes.  Hopefully.  

6) Thirty years ago in our county people who voted in the Democratic primary were threatened with job loss or other means.   The party bosses intimidated that way, not at the polls.  And I am sure some of that still applies.  But fortunately there is no declaration during the general, like there is in the primary.

7) Lastly, early voting and vote by mail are key components.  The more who vote before Nov 3, the less potential for confrontations at the polls.

Edited by pyrohornIII
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t disagree with much of this but America has failed because the American People have and continue to fail ourselves. We’re collectively shitty patents, we don’t value education, we prioritize things over people, were lazy, were selfish, we spend all our time on social media and eschew facts and research. We let ourselves be lied to. The current Republican Party is the ultimate manifestation of that. It will change when we change. 

Preach

As a white person who lives in a 50/50 town, in an 80% black county, the one thing I know is the kind of white person who wants to join a GOP poll intimidation  team is also the kind of white person who will not volunteer to actually watch a poll in a majority minority community.  Oh, they’ll gun up and glower at their very red, rural polling site. But the 4th CD of Georgia?  I don’t think so.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

It will happen in Georgia. Kemp will do whatever he can to intimidate his black constituents and his racist white supporters will applaud him for it. 

If Georgia has to resort to intimidation, then the voter roll purges were failures. It’s far easier to quietly send people home for not being on the list. Kemp “won” his election without any implied violence, just purely bureaucratic power.

I’ve seen a few of election bloggers touch on it, but the big story in November won’t be voter intimidation at the polls. It will be the rejection of mail-in ballots.
Wasserman breaks it down here, but this year has the potential to make “hanging chads” look like child’s play.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1235289?__twitter_impression=true

Voter apathy is tied to the Electoral College. A lot of people are used to their vote being completely worthless depending on the state they live in and the party they want to vote for. 

Twice in 16 years we've had a candidate win the White House with a minority of the vote. 

Hanging chads in Florida resulted in an endless and expensive war in the Middle East. 

People are stupid, but the institutions are broken. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

any intimidation will be immigration themed, not minorities or poors.  they'll be there to scare anyone who's illegal/undocumented or illegal adjacent (has family or friends that are undocumented/illegal).  their presence isn't for confrontation, it's to keep people from showing up at all.

and it will work.  

32 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

As a white person who lives in a 50/50 town, in an 80% black county, the one thing I know is the kind of white person who wants to join a GOP poll intimidation  team is also the kind of white person who will not volunteer to actually watch a poll in a majority minority community.  Oh, they’ll gun up and glower at their very red, rural polling site. But the 4th CD of Georgia?  I don’t think so.

Yes. This is exactly my point. Sound and fury signifying nothing bc the Trump dead Enders are old, dumb or scared. 

10 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Voter apathy is tied to the Electoral College. A lot of people are used to their vote being completely worthless depending on the state they live in and the party they want to vote for. 

Twice in 16 years we've had a candidate win the White House with a minority of the vote. 

Hanging chads in Florida resulted in an endless and expensive war in the Middle East. 

People are stupid, but the institutions are broken. 

No it's not. Voter apathy is even more obvious in non-Presidential election years.

Oh, by the way, Clinton got a minority of the vote, too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s like you aren’t listening. I said it wasn’t the hood. And yet by virtue of what it was it scared all the white people out in the county. Cmon man keep up. 
put another way- the white people with guns out to protect their property live in a much nicer place and yet they are getting charged. Those clowns aren’t going to intimidate anyone where I lived. 

So, your point is that you once lived in a neighborhood that is in no way relevant to my argument? I guess that’s a thing you could mention for some reason.

Look, we agree The Loop is not the kind of place the GOP would seek to intimidate voters. That does not at all disprove the fact that there are neighborhoods where the GOP will seek to intimidate voters and, absent push-back from Democrats, those tactics can succeed. So I’m not sure what your constant shout-out to the hipster enclave where you once lived has to do with anything.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

So, your point is that you once lived in a neighborhood that is in no way relevant to my argument? I guess that’s a thing you could mention for some reason.

Look, we agree The Loop is not the kind of place the GOP would seek to intimidate voters. That does not at all disprove the fact that there are neighborhoods where the GOP will seek to intimidate voters and, absent push-back from Democrats, those tactics can succeed. So I’m not sure what your constant shout-out to the hipster enclave where you once lived has to do with anything.

Not a hipster enclave dude. No way. At least not when I lived there 23 years ago. 
my point is this- trump voters are big mouthed cowards and they aren’t going in to intimidate voters in any minority majority areas. No way, now how. And if they did those guys would know how to handle it and the trump “poll watchers” will go running away like a scared dog. You are worried about and making a big thing out of nothing. 
This entire election is going to be a nothing burger. Ho hum, Dems win a huge EC victory, and Trump is drummed out of office in disgrace and no civil unrest happens. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

44 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not a hipster enclave dude. No way. At least not when I lived there 23 years ago. 
my point is this- trump voters are big mouthed cowards and they aren’t going in to intimidate voters in any minority majority areas. No way, now how. And if they did those guys would know how to handle it and the trump “poll watchers” will go running away like a scared dog. You are worried about and making a big thing out of nothing. 
This entire election is going to be a nothing burger. Ho hum, Dems win a huge EC victory, and Trump is drummed out of office in disgrace and no civil unrest happens. 

Okay, I see what you’re saying. But I disagree. One disconnect is that you’re assuming that the intimidators will be gun-toting rednecks or bikers or some shit. That’s not at all how it will be, or at least not what I believe is the real threat. It will be Karens and Kens, grumpy old geezers, and young conservative enthusiasts in cheap suits, armed with half-truths and fabricated threats of legal action. Their goal is to create a perception of risk and hassle, as if voting could lead to legal problems or police harassment and just isn’t worth the trouble. 

Gore didn't get 50% either.  No candidate reached 50% of the popular vote in 4 of the last 7 presidential elections.

I think it's possible Biden gets the largest popular vote share since Reagan in 84.

Edited by WBT