2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

any intimidation will be immigration themed, not minorities or poors.  they'll be there to scare anyone who's illegal/undocumented or illegal adjacent (has family or friends that are undocumented/illegal).  their presence isn't for confrontation, it's to keep people from showing up at all.

and it will work.  

I’m not sure keeping illegal immigrants away from the polls is a sound argument. That’s a good thing, is it not?

5 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

In an average year, how many illegal immigrants do you think actually show up at a polling station with the intent to vote?

Zero. That’s why I find his position strange. He is worried that illegals will be intimidated from showing up at the polls. They aren’t supposed to be at the polls nor has that ever been an issue.

Edited by Spankytoes

Zero. That’s why I find his position strange. He is worried that illegals will be intimidated from showing up at the polls. They aren’t supposed to be at the polls nor has that ever been an issue.
No, we're worried that legal voters who aren't white will be intimidated from showing up to the polls, and there's plenty of historical Republican precedent for that to happen. Not to mention the shit that spews from the President's mouth.
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, trauma babe said:
1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

No, we're worried that legal voters who aren't white will be intimidated from showing up to the polls, and there's plenty of historical Republican precedent for that to happen. Not to mention the shit that spews from the President's mouth.

Can you provide a link to where this has occurred, since there’s plenty of Republican precedent to choose from and all? (And how exactly do you know that they are Democrat voters? You’re basing this off of race?) Why would a legal citizen feel intimidated to not show up at the polls where they get to vote in private? Is there evidence to show that illegal immigrants have been deported as a tactic to dissuade legal citizens from voting? Where are you getting this data from?

Repeating conjecture often enough doesn’t make it true. My wife and I have several friends from Russia/Eastern bloc countries that have overstayed their visa. Neither of us have ever felt intimated to vote as registered Republicans in a heavily blue state. We would, however, feel intimidated if we wore MAGA hats to the polls. (Side note: Neither of us are Trump fans, that’s an example) What does skin color have to do with anything? Where are POC being intimated and/or denied their right to vote?

Enlighten me.

Edited by Spankytoes

Black seniors had their bus turned around on the way to vote in Georgia 2 years ago. 

Black voters ordered off bus

6 hour wait at to vote in the democratic primary at Texas Southern University (2% of the student body is white) in March:

6 hour wait

The new data support perhaps the worst-case scenario offered by opponents of restrictive voting laws. Nine percent of black respondents and 9 percent of Hispanic respondents indicated that, in the last election, they (or someone in their household) were told that they lacked the proper identification to vote. Just 3 percent of whites said the same. Ten percent of black respondents and 11 percent of Hispanic respondents reported that they were incorrectly told that they weren’t listed on voter rolls, as opposed to 5 percent of white respondents.

Voter Suppression is Warping Democracy

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Can you provide a link to where this has occurred, since there’s plenty of Republican precedent to choose from and all? (And how exactly do you know that they are Democrat voters? You’re basing this off of race?) Why would a legal citizen feel intimidated to not show up at the polls where they get to vote in private? Is there evidence to show that illegal immigrants have been deported as a tactic to dissuade legal citizens from voting? Where are you getting this data from?

Repeating conjecture often enough doesn’t make it true. My wife and I have several friends from Russia/Eastern bloc countries that have overstayed their visa. Neither of us have ever felt intimated to vote as registered Republicans in a heavily blue state. We would, however, feel intimidated if we wore MAGA hats to the polls. (Side note: Neither of us are Trump fans, that’s an example) What does skin color have to do with anything? Where are POC being intimated and/or denied their right to vote?

Enlighten me.

Enlighten me why the Republican party would bother dedicating resources to stopping a thing that you admit is not actually a problem. What benefit do you think the party gets from it? 

40 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Black seniors had their bus turned around on the way to vote in Georgia 2 years ago. 

Black voters ordered off bus

6 hour wait at to vote in the democratic primary at Texas Southern University (2% of the student body is white) in March:

6 hour wait

The new data support perhaps the worst-case scenario offered by opponents of restrictive voting laws. Nine percent of black respondents and 9 percent of Hispanic respondents indicated that, in the last election, they (or someone in their household) were told that they lacked the proper identification to vote. Just 3 percent of whites said the same. Ten percent of black respondents and 11 percent of Hispanic respondents reported that they were incorrectly told that they weren’t listed on voter rolls, as opposed to 5 percent of white respondents.

Yeah, but all of those black people on that bus could have been Republicans.  Isn’t that how some dumbasses are going to argue that?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

This is exactly the kind of bullshit I’m talking about. It’s not about AR-toting skinheads or Wulaw’s race war cosplay fantasy. The interference will be run by self-righteous Karens and pre-law Young Republicans claiming to enforce fake laws and regulations. If y’all think that kind of intimidation by GOP “observers” won’t be targeted primarily at minority voters, I have a stockpile of hydroxychloroquine I’d like to sell you.

To get this discussion back on track: is anyone aware of groups in Texas organizing to go out to the polls in November to advocate for voters against such interference? 

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

How are Wisconsin, Florida, and Penn tossups but Texas is leaning R?

I was thinking it was maybe based on their polls only. The latest YouGov poll in early July had Trump +1 in TX. +4 in mid/late June.

Trump +1 late July for OH. So it would seem to be on par with that based on their data. Can't find a YouGov poll since April for PA so that's obviously not in line with existing data, as high quality polls have generally shown Trump getting turbofucked (we could use more good PA polls - lots of trash partisan polling from both sides). WI same deal as PA. YouGov has just one poll of Florida, early/mid July, Biden +6. So, yeah, calling those four states tossups and Texas a lean is pretty lulzy.

They're just trying to spark interest by projecting the polls as closer/more Trump-friendly than they are.

The one thing I think is going to be different this election is that the kids and more minorities are gonna come out and vote.  I was honestly shocked at that number of younger voters I saw here in Austin in the final hours of early voting for the Primary.

Yes the GOP will be GOP and try their absolute worst to try and deter voter turnout.  But this one is gonna be a landslide.  The fact that Trump is already trying to say the election will be rigged tells you he knows what's coming.  The fact he is out playing golf today for the second day in a row, instead of trying to get a legislative deal, shows he knows his cause is lost.  So why not just play golf, try to stoke as much racial animosity as possible.  I guess the only two questions in my mind are 1) will Trump start a war this month to try to get a rally round the President.  and 2) will he pardon himself as a final act of self preservation.  

I actually hope he goes for #2 as then the courts can finally look at his ultimate level of corruption.

I also hope that the corruption of his children, his campaign, and his administration are PROPERLY investigated post Trump Administration.  With the GOP Senate currently setting the standard of trying to prosecute prior administrations, the Trump administration will be proven to be the most corrupt in our lifetimes, perhaps all lifetimes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

How are Wisconsin, Florida, and Penn tossups but Texas is leaning R?

Probably using 270toWin's consensus map which has Texas as leaning Trump but Georgia as a toss up. 

image.thumb.png.8911dfc20162f9945aa1cd94267d5a2a.png

Edited by The Dog

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

The one thing I think is going to be different this election is that the kids and more minorities are gonna come out and vote.  I was honestly shocked at that number of younger voters I saw here in Austin in the final hours of early voting for the Primary.

Yes the GOP will be GOP and try their absolute worst to try and deter voter turnout.  But this one is gonna be a landslide.  The fact that Trump is already trying to say the election will be rigged tells you he knows what's coming.  The fact he is out playing golf today for the second day in a row, instead of trying to get a legislative deal, shows he knows his cause is lost.  So why not just play golf, try to stoke as much racial animosity as possible.  I guess the only two questions in my mind are 1) will Trump start a war this month to try to get a rally round the President.  and 2) will he pardon himself as a final act of self preservation.  

I actually hope he goes for #2 as then the courts can finally look at his ultimate level of corruption.

I also hope that the corruption of his children, his campaign, and his administration are PROPERLY investigated post Trump Administration.  With the GOP Senate currently setting the standard of trying to prosecute prior administrations, the Trump administration will be proven to be the most corrupt in our lifetimes, perhaps all lifetimes.

All of this, especially the last part. No quarter for anyone in this admin or in Congress. All of his enablers have to be harshly punished or they will just do it again when Rs eventually get power back. 

• Like 2

The reason I have hope :

we all agree that Hilary was awful. She didn’t campaign at all in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Michigan. She had to deal with the Russian Wikileaks. That asshole comey re-opened the investigation at the worst time to maximize the depressed turnout against her. 2016 actually had viable 3rd party candidates who got a combined 8% of the overall vote. Trump won Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania by a combined 70K votes.

this time we have a candidate who is much harder to attack. Covid 19 and the racial unrest is hurting the gop. Bad economy is hurting the GOP. Trump downplaying the virus is hurting the gop. There are no viable 3rd party candidates to “waste” votes for trump. This forces Trump to actually get over 50% of the vote in states like Florida, Wisconsin, Michigan which I don’t think he got last time. 

Trump should realistically be cooked, but we still have to play this thing out. The only 2 things that worry me at this point is the so called Durham report that conservatives keep waiting on. Can this thing really flip the race on its head?  And will Biden be able to keep the gaffes to a minimum while debating trump decently enough?

• Hook 'Em 1

from the ny times...

The Republican program, which has gained steam in recent weeks, envisions recruiting up to 50,000 volunteers in 15 key states to monitor polling places and challenge ballots and voters deemed suspicious.

(channeling my inner bt here) what does "suspicious" mean to you?  be honest.

illegals aren't going to vote.  but "brown" people will avoid voting places if they think they're going to be harassed, bullied, or intimidated, even if they're legal.  look at what's going on in this country.  you think it's that far out of whack for documented central/south american immigrants (or children of immigrants) to worry that they might be snatched out of line, detained, and "questioned" for a few hours while non-licensed militia types "confirm" their papers?  you think they're going to show up if they have a friend or family member staying at their place who might not be documented?

yeah, it's great to be white.  it's great to be able to just default to "i'm not worried because i have done nothing wrong and have nothing to worry about" mode.  but a lot of america doesn't think that way.   especially given the current climate in certain areas of the country.  like i said, the focus of these volunteers will be immigration, and their tactics will work.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

from the ny times...

illegals aren't going to vote.  but "brown" people will avoid voting places if they think they're going to be harassed, bullied, or intimidated, even if they're legal.  look at what's going on in this country.  you think it's that far out of whack for documented central/south american immigrants (or children of immigrants) to worry that they might be snatched out of line, detained, and "questioned" for a few hours while non-licensed militia types "confirm" their papers?  you think they're going to show up if they have a friend or family member staying at their place who might not be documented?

yeah, it's great to be white.  it's great to be able to just default to "i'm not worried because i have done nothing wrong and have nothing to worry about" mode.  but a lot of america doesn't think that way.   especially given the current climate in certain areas of the country.  like i said, the focus of these volunteers will be immigration, and their tactics will work.

I will 100% be calling people out and then reporting them to authorities if I witness any kind of intimidation.  Granted, I'm in Austin, so it's probably unlikely, but I know for a fact it happened in the primaries in Grimes county.

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

from the ny times...

The Republican program, which has gained steam in recent weeks, envisions recruiting up to 50,000 volunteers in 15 key states to monitor polling places and challenge ballots and voters deemed suspicious.

I'm actually more interested in what "challenge" means. I am asking this out of probable white bubble privilege -- if a brown person has an ID and is a registered voter, regardless if they have illegal relatives at home etc, what would the challenge look like? Is it after the vote has been cast? Is it challenging mail-in votes, which I suppose could invoke some sort of an investigation into the legality of the household? Or is it purely optics of having a mean-looking white guy either with an AR-15 or in a suit and tie be visible at the polling place? I'd like to think that any legal and registered voter could walk by and give a figurative fuck you to those assholes and vote, but clearly I'm missing something. 

Over 7 million people voted for someone not named Trump or Clinton for President in 2016.  That's more than the entire population of Tennessee.  

I haven't seen any effort from Biden's campaign to attract Mullin or Johnson voters, at all.  And they can make a huge difference in states like Wisconsin and Florida.  

I am encouraged by the fact I know a lot of third party/independent voters through the Serve America Movement (S.A.M., started by Reed Galen of Lincoln Project), UStomorrow, Dowd's New Politics Org., as well as various Libertarian Party committees.....and I haven't heard a single person say they are voting for anyone not named Biden or Trump.  I think all totaled non Trump/Biden voters total less than 2% of cast ballots in 2020 as opposed to the 5% they made up last time.  If today hold true, I see that breaking as 55% Biden, 43% Trump, and 2% other.   

I was nearing 25 years as a registered member of the Libertarian Party and frequent donor, but let it lapse after Amash dropped out.  They haven't even bothered to try and solicit donations for Jorgensen from me, which I take a sign that they are just phoning it in this cycle.  I don't know anything about Howie Hawkins of the Green Party, any of you hardcore resident liberals know anything about whether or not the Green Party is actively trying to get Stein's 2016 voters to come out for him?  She got 1.5mm votes last time around, that's not nothing.  Biden will need all of those voters in Pennsylvania and Michigan, where she got 50k+ votes last time around...and Wisconsin, where her 32k votes would have put Clinton over the top there.  

Anybody...somebody at Biden's camp should take a second look at what Johnson vote totals looked like in certain states.  

4 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

I'm actually more interested in what "challenge" means. I am asking this out of probable white bubble privilege -- if a brown person has an ID and is a registered voter, regardless if they have illegal relatives at home etc, what would the challenge look like? Is it after the vote has been cast? Is it challenging mail-in votes, which I suppose could invoke some sort of an investigation into the legality of the household? Or is it purely optics of having a mean-looking white guy either with an AR-15 or in a suit and tie be visible at the polling place? I'd like to think that any legal and registered voter could walk by and give a figurative fuck you to those assholes and vote, but clearly I'm missing something. 

it would be wonderful if every legally registered voter told mobs of trump "volunteers" to fuck off when they were eyeing them in line.  the world unfortunately doesn't always work like this.  and i would assume challenge means to ask for their id or birth certificate or passport and proof of residence or citizenship and try to get them to get out of line before they voted.

the gop has already demonstrated that they want to make it as difficult as possible for people to vote, especially in black and brown neighborhoods.  this is a fact.  they already got caught putting it in official literature, at least they did in regards to the census.  they got caught doing this (i can't remember the guy's name, but i think he died recently and the story came out last year).

none of this is purely conjecture.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:
1 hour ago, honolulu horn said:

it would be wonderful if every legally registered voter told mobs of trump "volunteers" to fuck off when they were eyeing them in line.

This is very polite.  I would appreciate a bit stronger of a response.

Are there poll watcher positions we can volunteer for in vulnerable locations where the Rs might try to pull crap? I would be happy to give up a vacation day for that if it would help. I have no idea how this sort of things works as I’ve never been active in either party. 

18 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

it would be wonderful if every legally registered voter told mobs of trump "volunteers" to fuck off when they were eyeing them in line.  the world unfortunately doesn't always work like this.  and i would assume challenge means to ask for their id or birth certificate or passport and proof of residence or citizenship and try to get them to get out of line before they voted.

the gop has already demonstrated that they want to make it as difficult as possible for people to vote, especially in black and brown neighborhoods.  this is a fact.  they already got caught putting it in official literature, at least they did in regards to the census.  they got caught doing this (i can't remember the guy's name, but i think he died recently and the story came out last year).

I'm not disagreeing, I'm trying to get more info so action might be taken against it happening. Are voting officials allowed to ask for additional ID if an official ID is already provided? If a person has a valid drivers license that matches their voting registration, can a voting official legally ask for more? I would think the answer is no, but a) I could be wrong and b) I'm sure assholes will try it anyway. 

I think closing polling places, restricting voting hours, taking people off the voting rolls, and "losing" mail in votes will be more problematic. I don't think there's anything I as a regular citizen can do to combat those. But I wonder if any action can be taken at the actual voting precincts if these types of challenges are occurring. 

37 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

I'm not disagreeing, I'm trying to get more info so action might be taken against it happening. Are voting officials allowed to ask for additional ID if an official ID is already provided? If a person has a valid drivers license that matches their voting registration, can a voting official legally ask for more? I would think the answer is no, but a) I could be wrong and b) I'm sure assholes will try it anyway. 

I think closing polling places, restricting voting hours, taking people off the voting rolls, and "losing" mail in votes will be more problematic. I don't think there's anything I as a regular citizen can do to combat those. But I wonder if any action can be taken at the actual voting precincts if these types of challenges are occurring. 

i don't think these people will be "official" in any capacity.  and i don't think they'll be close to the front of the line.

we voted in west hollywood, it took 2 hours, and we were behind a couple hundred people.  we were a few blocks from the front (and this was before proper social distancing).  it would be very easy to spook people 100-500 people deep without many people knowing, certainly nobody who's an official volunteer at that voting place.

1 hour ago, MidTexHorn said:

Are there poll watcher positions we can volunteer for in vulnerable locations where the Rs might try to pull crap? I would be happy to give up a vacation day for that if it would help. I have no idea how this sort of things works as I’ve never been active in either party. 

The real issue with this election won't be poll watchers, but poll workers.

Most are elderly, and you can imagine those folks having second thoughts about volunteering during our age of Covid.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Most are elderly, and you can imagine those folks having second thoughts about volunteering during our age of Covid.

At my polling location in the runoff, 2 of the 3 people working were Gen Z age.

Which is why I volunteered to be a poll worker this cycle. Intimidation tactics are less effective if the line is shorter. The election commission website was stupid though in that it said you had to volunteer “120 days (roughly 3 months) before the election.” Yeah, apparently they seem to think each month is 40 days. So I don’t know if I got my app in on time.

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Is it just me or are people like Cruz and Rubio doing more individual media blitzes almost as if they are trying to position themselves for 24

I don't know what media they're doing but 

Spoiler

they're both running in 24

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Over 7 million people voted for someone not named Trump or Clinton for President in 2016.  That's more than the entire population of Tennessee.  

I haven't seen any effort from Biden's campaign to attract Mullin or Johnson voters, at all.  And they can make a huge difference in states like Wisconsin and Florida.  

I am encouraged by the fact I know a lot of third party/independent voters through the Serve America Movement (S.A.M., started by Reed Galen of Lincoln Project), UStomorrow, Dowd's New Politics Org., as well as various Libertarian Party committees.....and I haven't heard a single person say they are voting for anyone not named Biden or Trump.  I think all totaled non Trump/Biden voters total less than 2% of cast ballots in 2020 as opposed to the 5% they made up last time.  If today hold true, I see that breaking as 55% Biden, 43% Trump, and 2% other.   

I was nearing 25 years as a registered member of the Libertarian Party and frequent donor, but let it lapse after Amash dropped out.  They haven't even bothered to try and solicit donations for Jorgensen from me, which I take a sign that they are just phoning it in this cycle.  I don't know anything about Howie Hawkins of the Green Party, any of you hardcore resident liberals know anything about whether or not the Green Party is actively trying to get Stein's 2016 voters to come out for him?  She got 1.5mm votes last time around, that's not nothing.  Biden will need all of those voters in Pennsylvania and Michigan, where she got 50k+ votes last time around...and Wisconsin, where her 32k votes would have put Clinton over the top there.  

Anybody...somebody at Biden's camp should take a second look at what Johnson vote totals looked like in certain states.  

I think the thought or logic is the vast majority of those people would choose Biden over trump when push comes to shove.

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

All of it is conjecture.

First, there is no evidence of this happening. You provided a hearsay example and applied it to the Republican Party as a whole as a planned tactic/strategy. Second, if they feel intimated, they can vote by mail. Dems pushed for this, so why not use it? Third, you are full of shit. There will be plenty of white people voting for Biden that will show up to the polls. You could say that the majority of Dem voters will be white, and as far as I know, the weight of their vote is the same as a minority vote. Last, aren’t there claims that Dems provide free transport and bussing to minority voters to vote for Obama and Hillary? The Washington Post did a story on this, so it must be true. Hillary won the popular vote pretty handily in 2016. She just didn’t win the right states because she couldn’t assess her own likability.

Put down the conspiracy pipe. Voter apathy is the largest hurdle to overcome, regardless of skin color.

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

33 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

All of it is conjecture.

First, there is no evidence of this happening. You provided a hearsay example and applied it to the Republican Party as a whole as a planned tactic/strategy. Second, if they feel intimated, they can vote by mail. Dems pushed for this, so why not use it? Third, you are full of shit. There will be plenty of white people voting for Biden that will show up to the polls. You could say that the majority of Dem voters will be white, and as far as I know, the weight of their vote is the same as a minority vote. Last, aren’t there claims that Dems provide free transport and bussing to minority voters to vote for Obama and Hillary? The Washington Post did a story on this, so it must be true. Hillary won the popular vote pretty handily in 2016. She just didn’t win the right states because she couldn’t assess her own likability.

Put down the conspiracy pipe. Voter apathy is the largest hurdle to overcome, regardless of skin color.

And voter suppression laws.

• Hook 'Em 1

Voting by mail isn’t an option on a whole bunch of places, no matter who pushed for it. Also, you say there is no evidence of it happening after seeing a link to the article where Republicans are saying that’s their plan and they are spending millions on it. You are usually a reasonable person spanky, once you actually think about things after getting over your initial knee jerk reaction nonsense. Maybe look a little deeper into this topic and give it another try. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I imagine Republican poll watchers will have little stands in black and brown communities, to help "verify "you are on the voter rolls properly before waiting in line so very, very long...

With 7 paid black and brown people in line pretending their voter registration checks out, and every third actual black or brown voter being told, "No... We are not seeing you on the rolls/" With a concerned look and a glance down the mile long line saying... "Our list might not be right... you can always wait in line..."