2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

21 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
On 8/2/2020 at 1:39 PM, henrygandorf said:
i don't think these people will be "official" in any capacity.  and i don't think they'll be close to the front of the line.
we voted in west hollywood, it took 2 hours, and we were behind a couple hundred people.  we were a few blocks from the front (and this was before proper social distancing).  it would be very easy to spook people 100-500 people deep without many people knowing, certainly nobody who's an official volunteer at that voting place.

Again, why do people wait until election day? If your state has early voting, go do that.

i've long stopped asking questions of "why millions of americans do what they do".

my wife won't deposit checks into the atm or take a picture of it.  she likes to sign it and hand it to a teller.  covid aside, shouldn't people be able to go take an hour of their day and vote in person on election day if they want to?  has it really gotten to the point where workarounds just become the answer?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
On 8/2/2020 at 8:41 AM, Firemans4Horn said:
Black seniors had their bus turned around on the way to vote in Georgia 2 years ago. 

Black voters ordered off bus

6 hour wait at to vote in the democratic primary at Texas Southern University (2% of the student body is white) in March:
6 hour wait

The new data support perhaps the worst-case scenario offered by opponents of restrictive voting laws. Nine percent of black respondents and 9 percent of Hispanic respondents indicated that, in the last election, they (or someone in their household) were told that they lacked the proper identification to vote. Just 3 percent of whites said the same. Ten percent of black respondents and 11 percent of Hispanic respondents reported that they were incorrectly told that they weren’t listed on voter rolls, as opposed to 5 percent of white respondents.
Voter Suppression is Warping Democracy

Read more  

So the issue in Houston was on election day. But correct me if I am wrong, but early voting was for 2 weeks prior, correct? So maybe if more people went and voted early, the election day lines would be less.

People have the right to vote on election day. That other days may or may not be available (just depends on where you are talking about) has no bearing as to whether reasonable efforts should be made to ensure that election day voting goes smoothly. And, more importantly, intentionally sabotaging the ability of a precinct to handle election day is fundamentally anti-democratic and morally reprehensible  

• Hook 'Em 2

Feel free to link any majority republican precincts with 6+ hour lines to vote. 

Every American of voting age should be able to vote in a reasonable time frame even if it’s Election Day. 

I had a two hour line in the Heights in 2018. It also took me 30 minutes to cast my vote due to 100+ races and referendums, and I don't vote straight party.

23 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I had a two hour line in the Heights in 2018. It also took me 30 minutes to cast my vote due to 100+ races and referendums, and I don't vote straight party.

Harris county had 14 races to vote on in March’s democratic primary. 6+ hours

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
On 8/2/2020 at 3:39 PM, henrygandorf said:
i don't think these people will be "official" in any capacity.  and i don't think they'll be close to the front of the line.
we voted in west hollywood, it took 2 hours, and we were behind a couple hundred people.  we were a few blocks from the front (and this was before proper social distancing).  it would be very easy to spook people 100-500 people deep without many people knowing, certainly nobody who's an official volunteer at that voting place.

Again, why do people wait until election day? If your state has early voting, go do that.

Seems like it would be an obvious thing to do, but people say they’re always so busy.  Maybe with things being canceled due to Covid more people will vote earlier.

2 hours ago, trauma babe said:

There is a stereotype of lesbians being "man-haters." 

Well to be fair there is a stereotype of cisgender heterosexual men being "woman-haters." There are a lot of intellectual shortcuts taken by morons in this world, and most of them suck.

A guest on the Sirius POTUS channel reflected on how strange the perception of Biden is. Biden has more experience with debates at the presidential level (primaries, etc) than anyone else in the country, and yet the bar is insanely low for him. Biden's going to surprise a lot of people who expect him to be a blithering demented drooling idiot. He's been through this circus act many, many, many times. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Every American of voting age should be able to vote in a reasonable time frame even if it’s Election Day. 
Ah, yes, the noted Republican enclave known as the Heights.

giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7fv6uyeaymdj31o8j9gfd42m5bl7xflm3qsq3307k&rid=giphy.gif
  • Like 1

Well to be fair there is a stereotype of cisgender heterosexual men being "woman-haters." There are a lot of intellectual shortcuts taken by morons in this world, and most of them suck.

Well, they do tend to vote Republican.

12 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

12 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I don’t read her post as saying she thinks the status quo is acceptable. I think she is pointing out reality though. If you want to make the “should” a reality, encourage the people affected to do everything they can to vote. Including taking advantage of early voting whenever possible. Then when you get dems in charge hold them accountable to make changes. 

12 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Not sure where you're going with this, but as another posted states, The Heights is prettay, prettaaaaaaaaaay blue. I mean, it's Shelia Jackson Lee's district. I believe the point being made was to go see what lines look like in Kingwood. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

A guest on the Sirius POTUS channel reflected on how strange the perception of Biden is. Biden has more experience with debates at the presidential level (primaries, etc) than anyone else in the country, and yet the bar is insanely low for him. Biden's going to surprise a lot of people who expect him to be a blithering demented drooling idiot. He's been through this circus act many, many, many times. 

tumblr_mbrf2l7FyC1qbqklwo1_500.gif

• Like 1

Biden is also 10-0 in general elections in his lifetime (if you count his two VP elections).  I know Trump is undefeated as well, but his fucking brain ain't.

So are we getting Zoom debates or some sort of Frankenstein in-person things? If Zoom, maybe they can mute the person who doesn't have the floor. Would be amazing just to watch Trump's head explode when he can't interrupt every third sentence Biden says.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Trump's confidence in debates came from his primary ones in 2016 (not the generals).  I know most of you on here think every GOP politician is a blabbering moron, but he was up there with guys that ran intellectual circles around him like John Kasich, Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush, Jim Gilmore, and Carly Fiorina (these are genuinely intelligent and educated people).  He just repeated the same 7 things over and over again and personally attacked anyone who addressed him on the stage.  Most of us thought that would backfire horribly for him, but we didn't know then what he knew (or what Russia informed him/us of).....that there was about 31 million Americans who would watch that and think, "Finally, somebody that isn't afraid to say what I've been thinking."  The other 31 million would come from GOP straight ticket voters whom would just fall in line with whatever the party said to do after the convention.  We all know somebody like his diehard 31 million, but what none of us knew, what none of us could know is that there were that many of them.  I was involved with the party for 15 years and I had no clue there were that many of them.  I had been fraternizing with the 31 million loyalist types and just assumed they were the vast majority.  Narrator:  They weren't. 

So that's where Trump's supporters over-confidence in his debates stems from.  And he brilliantly brought a duality into the HRC debates where he was at once simply trying to be a Presidential-seeming alternative to her whom he knew his base hated, while reminding the party that he's bringing several million new voters under the tent because he was "I'm their kinda guy!"  That, and a great rust belt digital "ground" game is why we're where we are at. 

Trump didn't tap into anything new, he just got the "tapped" to come out and vote.  He knew what thousands of pollsters and political scientists refused to believe...there were millions of marginalized white (and some hispanic) Americans who didn't usually vote not because they didn't see it as their patriotic duty to one country.  They were waiting for someone to make them see it as their patriotic duty to one man.  

That kind of dedication is not going to evaporate overnight.  So Biden doesn't have to worry about offending them, he can get some jabs in on Trump and remind people he has a spine.  Any other election, I'd roll my eyes at anyone who considered his 6 terms in the Senate from Delaware makes him  "Presidential", but in this particular election, that's all Biden has to do, talk about all the deals he's made in the Senate and in his time as a rather active Vice President.  Biden's gonna walk the middle; and we typically non-Democrat voters REALLY fucking need some of you hardcore Democrats to not piss and moan for a week after each debate about how Joe's talking points weren't progressive enough for your liking.  He's not up there to convince Bernie Bros to come out for him on election day.  He's up there to remind the United States of where we were in 2015 and where we should be in 2021.  That's it. 

With the inevitable Trump hand-wringing that's going to happen after the Election when he cries foul, the margins have to be big enough to sustain any kind of bullshit.  Those battleground states have to be 4-5%+ victories for Biden to withstand the inevitable assault.  Every Democrat of every stripe needs to vote no matter what faction of the party they're in or their love for Warren or Pete or whomever.  I'm seeing twice the passion for Biden from typical GOP and Libertarian and truly independent  than I am from a lot of Democrats here in Austin and that's very worrisome IMO.  

Edited by Lobo

Debates do not matter.

The general public overwhelmingly considered Hillary Clinton the winner of each debate with Trump. We're talking double digit margins every time, many polls with a margin north of 20 percent.

Biden can debate or not debate Trump. It doesn't matter. It's not changing anyone's mind.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Trump's confidence in debates came from his primary ones in 2016 (not the generals).  I know most of you on here think every GOP politician is a blabbering moron, but he was up there with guys that ran intellectual circles around him like John Kasich, Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush, Jim Gilmore, and Carly Fiorina (these are genuinely intelligent and educated people).  He just repeated the same 7 things over and over again and personally attacked anyone who addressed him on the stage.  Most of us thought that would backfire horribly for him, but we didn't know then what he knew (or what Russia informed him/us of).....that there was about 31 million Americans who would watch that and think, "Finally, somebody that isn't afraid to say what I've been thinking."  The other 31 million would come from GOP straight ticket voters whom would just fall in line with whatever the party said to do after the convention.  We all know somebody like his diehard 31 million, but what none of us knew, what none of us could know is that there were that many of them.  I was involved with the party for 15 years and I had no clue there were that many of them.  I had been fraternizing with the 31 million loyalist types and just assumed they were the vast majority.  Narrator:  They weren't. 

So that's where Trump's supporters over-confidence in his debates stems from.  And he brilliantly brought a duality into the HRC debates where he was at once simply trying to be a Presidential-seeming alternative to her whom he knew his base hated, while reminding the party that he's bringing several million new voters under the tent because he was "I'm their kinda guy!"  That, and a great rust belt digital "ground" game is why we're where we are at. 

Trump didn't tap into anything new, he just got the "tapped" to come out and vote.  He knew what thousands of pollsters and political scientists refused to believe...there were millions of marginalized white (and some hispanic) Americans who didn't usually vote not because they didn't see it as their patriotic duty to one country.  They were waiting for someone to make them see it as their patriotic duty to one man.  

That kind of dedication is not going to evaporate overnight.  So Biden doesn't have to worry about offending them, he can get some jabs in on Trump and remind people he has a spine.  Any other election, I'd roll my eyes at anyone who considered his 6 terms in the Senate from Delaware makes him  "Presidential", but in this particular election, that's all Biden has to do, talk about all the deals he's made in the Senate and in his time as a rather active Vice President.  Biden's gonna walk the middle; and we typically non-Democrat voters REALLY fucking need some of you hardcore Democrats to not piss and moan for a week after each debate about how Joe's talking points weren't progressive enough for your liking.  He's not up there to convince Bernie Bros to come out for him on election day.  He's up there to remind the United States of where we were in 2015 and where we should be in 2021.  That's it. 

With the inevitable Trump hand-wringing that's going to happen after the Election when he cries foul, the margins have to be big enough to sustain any kind of bullshit.  Those battleground states have to be 4-5%+ victories for Biden to withstand the inevitable assault.  Every Democrat of every stripe needs to vote no matter what faction of the party they're in or their love for Warren or Pete or whomever.  I'm seeing twice the passion for Biden from typical GOP and Libertarian and truly independent  than I am from a lot of Democrats here in Austin and that's very worrisome IMO.  

Democrats already turned out in droves to vote for Biden just to make sure Bernie wouldn’t be the nominee. They will turn out again in the fall. 

Six debates? Biden will tell Trump to pound sand. Heck anything outside of two debates is a waste of time. Let Biden and Trump have one, then the VP candidates. All Biden needs to do is remind people what it actually looks like to be Presidential. There is no winning a debate against a moron who references "many people" "fake news" and "I've done more than any other President" with out the ability to back up any point with a shred of evidence. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

That's good news for Hegar. Nice. 

She should have gone after Carter's seat again instead IMHO. I think you'll see a lot of people splitting their votes and going Biden/Cornyn, just like Abbott/O'Rourke. 

21 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Democrats already turned out in droves to vote for Biden just to make sure Bernie wouldn’t be the nominee. They will turn out again in the fall. 

The real concern now is Democrats voting by mail and not realizing they live in a state that requires ballots to be received by election day. I think a lot of voters assume the postmark date is the one that matters, and that's not always the case. Democrats need a full bore effort to educate people on the vote by mail laws in their respective states. If their state has ballot drop boxes, voters need to know about that.

Then there's the ongoing problem of slowing down mail service by not paying overtime to postal workers. It's obvious that the Trump campaign's strategy is to get as many Democrats to vote by mail as possible and then get as many of those votes tossed out as possible.  

The election is going to be a mess.

Edited by David Dennison

24 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Come the fuck on Alabama. An above average senator is 17 points behind Tommy fucking Tubberville, and it's the only state on this graph whose support of Donald hasn't decreased since May. At least there's 23% of independents who "don't know," but still, grow up Alabama

56 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

In 2014, Cornyn won 61% of the vote but was doing much worse in the polls in early August

July 2014:  Cornyn 52, Alameel 25

Aug 4-5, 2014: Cornyn 47, Alameel 29

By October 2014, Cornyn was polling in the upper 50s.  He should be worried that the polls are closer now but he doesn't seem to be a candidate that polls well until close to the election. Of course 2014 was also a bad year for Dems, so not even Cornyn can expect 61% again.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In 2014, Cornyn won 61% of the vote but was doing much worse in the polls in early August

July 2014:  Cornyn 52, Alameel 25

Aug 4-5, 2014: Cornyn 47, Alameel 29

By October 2014, Cornyn was polling in the upper 50s.  He should be worried that the polls are closer now but he doesn't seem to be a candidate that polls well until close to the election. Of course 2014 was also a bad year for Dems, so not even Cornyn can expect 61% again.

Doesn't poll well early? You're showing a 18 point advantage in August of 2014 and a 27 point advantage in July 2014. Final margin: 27 points. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Cornyn at 44% is a really bad number for him. Hegar has a chance. 
That's a low mark for him in polls in this race. I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. He's on the Abbot side of where suburban voters in this state have weirdly drawn the line.

14 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Biden has always done really poorly in multi-person debates, but really well in one-on-one debates.

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:
4 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

That's a low mark for him in polls in this race. I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. He's on the Abbot side of where suburban voters in this state have weirdly drawn the line.

He's just trying to keep his head down and not get caught up in the GOP implosion in this state as Abbott fucks up the pandemic response.

5 hours ago, gmr548 said:
6 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Fair enough, but COVID & being tied to Trump is not an ideal situation for him in November. 

Yeah, but luckily for Cornyn...he's almost completely certain that children can't get Covid-19 and that they also aren't allowed to vote for his opponent.  

I realize that California is not in question, but the LA Times has a new statewide poll showing how much Dotard is despised here:

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-08-04/trumps-base-erodes-new-poll-california

Biden leads Trump in California by 39 percentage points, 67% to 28%, the poll found. That’s 9 points larger than the margin by which Hillary Clinton beat Trump statewide in 2016 — a record at the time. And the share of Californians who approve of Trump’s performance in office, which has held steady in the mid-to-low 30% range for nearly his entire tenure, has now ticked downward to just 29%.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I realize that California is not in question, but the LA Times has a new statewide poll showing how much Dotard is despised here:
https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-08-04/trumps-base-erodes-new-poll-california
Biden leads Trump in California by 39 percentage points, 67% to 28%, the poll found. That’s 9 points larger than the margin by which Hillary Clinton beat Trump statewide in 2016 — a record at the time. And the share of Californians who approve of Trump’s performance in office, which has held steady in the mid-to-low 30% range for nearly his entire tenure, has now ticked downward to just 29%.

Username checks out

1 hour ago, Left Coast said:

I guess we will hear about 10 million illegals voted in this election instead of just the 5 million who voted last time now.

trump is in his own reality....

19 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

What a bunch of shitty people.

too bad for them there isn’t many black people in Wisconsin and most blacks know Kanye is a dumb ass hack for trump with mental problems.

hes still a billionaire, but it doesn’t change the facts.

2 hours ago, Left Coast said:

Ok- so those numbers are shittastic. But what’s amazing is W had like a 27% approval ratings nationwide at the end of his second term. So, Trumps still got more of an electoral share claiming to approve of him than late term W.