2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

23 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Cubans tend to think of themselves as Europeans, not mestizos or oppressed natives, regardless of what their actual ancestry may be.

I always chuckle when people argue over the whole why do Cubans vote R thing, because it's this right here. All the other stuff is fine and somewhat of a factor, but at the end of the day Cubans think they are white and other Latinos aren't, full stop.

I married into a Cuban family, and have seen this up close.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, G650 said:

I always chuckle when people argue over the whole why do Cubans vote R thing, because it's this right here. All the other stuff is fine and somewhat of a factor, but at the end of the day Cubans think they are white and other Latinos aren't, full stop.

I married into a Cuban family, and have seen this up close.

I don't know if it is a regional thing, but the Florida Cuban Republican anti-Castro thing is real.  Your wife maybe isn't from that branch, but hundreds of thousands in Florida are.  I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but . . .

The term Cuban exile refers to exodus of Cubans from the island of Cuba after the Cuban Revolution of 1959. Many would flee to the United States, but others would find refuge in other countries. The first wave of emigration occurred directly after the revolution, followed by the Freedom Flights from 1965 to 1973. This was followed by the 1980 Mariel boatlift and after 1994 the flight of balseros emigrating by raft. During the Cuban exile many refugees were granted special legal status by the US government, but these privileges began to be slowly removed in the 2010s.

. . . being forced into exile from your home country tends to shape your political beliefs.  Reducing it to racial beliefs isn't accurate, imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Fixed.

And those of you worried about there being no October surprises against Trump remember that The Atlantic EIC stated that they've just begun to tell the story.  Much more to come. https://thehill.com/homenews/media/515316-atlantic-editor-says-trump-story-calling-service-members-losers-has-only-just

I don’t agree that everyone views the election as “close” solely based on the media’s portrayal of it as a horserace.  For my part, I think this election will be “close” regardless of how the media portrays it.  In fact, I think it would be closer if the media were portraying it as a likely landslide.   Not just because of the possible path to electoral college victory for Trump in spite of having no chance at winning the popular vote, but also because of the likelihood of fraud and legal challenges in favor of Trump.

1 minute ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I don't know if it is a regional thing, but the Florida Cuban Republican anti-Castro thing is real.  Your wife maybe isn't from that branch, but hundreds of thousands in Florida are.  I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but . . .

. . . being forced into exile from your home country tends to shape your political beliefs.  Reducing it to racial beliefs isn't accurate, imo.

Well, my wife isn't really Cuban, it's my father in law and his family. His parents, who I knew, were actual exiles and FIL who is their oldest, was born a year after they got here. I am pretty familiar with their gripes. You can tell yourself whatever you want on it, but it's underpinning is mostly racial grievance. In fact there are very few exiles alive anymore to actually have an anti Castro opinion, it's all their dipshit kids who have no frame of reference beside being Americans who think they possess an innate superiority over other immigrants.

Rasmussen has apparently decided to pull a Jekyl and Hyde routine for the time being. They're still doing their usual thing in regards to having Trump with outlier approval ratings and impossible margins with minorities, and their national polls have been what you'd expect, but they've put out several state polls the last few days that actually seem a bit to the left of legit pollsters.

As of today they have Trump at 48% approval, and the national race effectively tied at Biden +2, with Trump pulling like 30% of black vote,  45% of "other minorities" and leading by a point with the 18-39 crowd. LOL. 

And yet, in the last several days, they've shown Biden well ahead in MI (53-44), WI (53-45) and with a surprise lead in OH (49-45). Their state polls all have fairly normal margins in them, showing Biden up 15-20 with 18-39, 10+ with women, and more realistic minority margins.

It's not really possible to be down 7 points in the Midwest but effectively tied nationally. And you can't get 15% of the black vote in WI, OH and MI but 30% nationally. The numbers are completely incompatible. 

I have to wonder.
are the Democrats “ blowing their load” too early?  The Atlantic report and the Woodward book are definitely putting Trump on the defensive and causing problems for him,  but if we don’t have some October surprises and Trump does it could end up being a bad look.
Nothing will dissuade Trump voters so in that sense timing matters very little.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

I have to wonder.

are the Democrats “ blowing their load” too early?  The Atlantic report and the Woodward book are definitely putting Trump on the defensive and causing problems for him,  but if we don’t have some October surprises and Trump does it could end up being a bad look.

I'm sorry--what about this administration makes you think there aren't plenty more arrows in the quiver?  

3 hours ago, Tuco said:

1. Vote by mail will be starting soon in many states. 

2. Funds raised after mid October are hard to deploy in any impactful way.  

3. I'm guessing there is a lot more load to blow yet. 

Point 1 is important.  Vote by mail starts soon.  Early voting starts shortly after that.  This election doesn't happen on November 3.  It's going to be happening throughout October.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Rasmussen has apparently decided to pull a Jekyl and Hyde routine for the time being. They're still doing their usual thing in regards to having Trump with outlier approval ratings and impossible margins with minorities, and their national polls have been what you'd expect, but they've put out several state polls the last few days that actually seem a bit to the left of legit pollsters.

My theory is that Rasmussen puts out the non-pro-Trump polls so they can use them as a baseline later, and indicate momentum. Four weeks from now, their story will be how much ground Trump has made up since early September.   

7 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm sorry--what about this administration makes you think there aren't plenty more arrows in the quiver?  

Point 1 is important.  Vote by mail starts soon.  Early voting starts shortly after that.  This election doesn't happen on November 3.  It's going to be happening throughout October.

Let’s go bitches

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Proof?

This maybe 

Fearing a coming cash crunch, President Trump’s campaign has pulled back from television advertising over the last month, ceding to Democratic nominee Joe Biden a huge advantage in key states and sparking disagreements over strategy within the president’s senior team.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/republican-worries-rise-as-trump-campaign-pulls-back-from-television-advertising/2020/09/10/92db20e4-f2b7-11ea-b796-2dd09962649c_story.html

Of course ballot requests favor democrats. Trump is going to lose. Problem is what happens when he's winning on election night because mail in ballots are not yet counted? He claims victory and his base cheers. The mail in ballots are counted a few days later and turns out Trump lost big, but he calls the ballots fraudulent as he has already planted the seeds. Then who knows what happens.

It would be nice if news networks prepare for this by maybe placing a banner on the screen that says "RESULTS WILL NOT BE KNOWN FOR DAYS". CNN is apparently going to have an Election Week as opposed to an Election Night.

Edited by thepop
  • Hook 'Em 1

From the article linked in the tweet

The Democratic dominance spreads across an array of battleground states, according to absentee ballot request data compiled by state election authorities and analyzed by Democratic and Republican data experts. In North Carolina and Pennsylvania, Democrats have a roughly three-to-one advantage over Republicans in absentee ballot requests. In Florida — a must-win for President Donald Trump — the Democratic lead stands at more than 700,000 ballot requests, while the party also leads in New Hampshire, Ohio and Iowa.

39 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Proof?

Edited by Sawbonz

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah, it’s almost like Biden’s going to win this election pretty easily. And has been basically guaranteed to ever since the corona wrecked the economy in March, taking away literally the one and only positive thing Trump can point to. 

How quickly you forget about LAW AND ORDER!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, thepop said:

Of course ballot requests favor democrats. Trump is going to lose. Problem is what happens when he's winning on election night because mail in ballots are not yet counted? He claims victory and his base cheers. The mail in ballots are counted a few days later and turns out Trump lost big, but he calls the ballots fraudulent as he has already planted the seeds. Then who knows what happens.

This is what should keep everyone up at night, and is probably worthy of its own thread. If Biden doesn't get to 270 on election night, it's going to be an absolute donkey show. He could win by 100 EVs after mail-in ballots but if he doesn't get to 270 CONVINCINGLY on election night, Trump is going to destroy the fabric of our democracy, or at least attempt to, on his way out. (yeah yeah, queue up "he already has" jokes)

Edited by BradInATX

17 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

How quickly you forget about LAW AND ORDER!

I live in the suburbs and I consider myself attuned to reality. 

I know that the likelihood of seeing a horde of black people coming to harass me at my house is zero to none. Most intelligent suburb voters should realize the same. Trump is just trying to fear monger because he has nothing to sell to the American people.

15 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I live in the suburbs and I consider myself attuned to reality. 

I know that the likelihood of seeing a horde of black people coming to harass me at my house is zero to none. Most intelligent suburb voters should realize the same. Trump is just trying to fear monger because he has nothing to sell to the American people.

Umm. 
Speak for yourself.

i too live in the suburbs and judging from the Trump signs I see when I walk DNApup, there seems like quite a few folks who seem to think there might be a >0% chance the [hushed tone] blacks [/hush] are common’ to get your stuff.

DNApup may be part of the problem though. Whilst seemingly apolitical, his profiling of fellow morning walkers skews more ‘stop and frisk’ than I would like....

32 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

This is what should keep everyone up at night, and is probably worthy of its own thread. If Biden doesn't get to 270 on election night, it's going to be an absolute donkey show. He could win by 100 EVs after mail-in ballots but if he doesn't get to 270 CONVINCINGLY on election night, Trump is going to destroy the fabric of our democracy, or at least attempt to, on his way out. (yeah yeah, queue up "he already has" jokes)

this scenario already has a name : "Red Mirage"

google it.

22 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Umm. 
Speak for yourself.

i too live in the suburbs and judging from the Trump signs I see when I walk DNApup, there seems like quite a few folks who seem to think there might be a >0% chance the [hushed tone] blacks [/hush] are common’ to get your stuff.

DNApup may be part of the problem though. Whilst seemingly apolitical, his profiling of fellow morning walkers skews more ‘stop and frisk’ than I would like....

What suburb do you live in?

I happen to agree with BradAtx and Voldemort. I’m not overly concerned with a hoard of black people marching in from the inner city to take over my house and whatever. That’s trumpkin level idiocy and rightly deserves the condemnation it deserves. 

Crime even today is nothing compared to what it was even in the 80’s and early 90s. The reason for that is the country is rich as shit. It just chooses to somewhat fuck over the non 99 percent despite its wealth as much as it can while sprinkling enough around to not cause a rebellion.  Enjoy your truck and iPhone. 

The truth is this country could afford just about anything it wants to pay for. It just simply chooses not to by manipulating trumpkins idiots to vote against their own interests and allows the richest .001 percent to fuck everyone just enough to not cause a rebellion. 

It’s fucked up but nowhere near cause for rebellion. Now If trump somehow steals the election again all bets are off because then we are well on our way to Nazi Germany and Heil Trump!

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

It would be nice if news networks prepare for this by maybe placing a banner on the screen that says "RESULTS WILL NOT BE KNOWN FOR DAYS". CNN is apparently going to have an Election Week as opposed to an Election Night.

It will be funny to watch him give a victory speech with about 200 EVs.

10 hours ago, BradInATX said:

This is why every person who isn't seriously immuno-compromised should be voting early and IN PERSON.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is interesting. I've mentioned in the past that Democrats almost always vote for Republicans in national elections at a higher rate than the reverse due to factional infighting and interest group misalignment,  e.g. PUMAs for McCain, Reagan Democrats, Teamsters in 84 and 88*. 
Now look at the "usually Republican" line and the "Always Republican" line in Wisconsin. I wish I could see this same view in Pa. 
Ehl9VkzXkAEz1Yf?format=jpg&name=large

*ironically Contrary to popular myth, Bernie Bros didn't stay home or switch sides in 2016. For reference, here;s the national ideological split from 2016. 
2-2.png2-12.png

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

An audit of the Trump campaign is going to find that he stole most of the money.  500K in an important battleground state?  I foresee jail time and plea deals in the future of the folks running his campaign.

I forget which talking head I saw the other day speculate that Team Dotard has already bailed on Michigan and Arizona, and Pennsylvania is next. Theft is really the only explanation as to how they can be broke at this point. 

Seems weird that they've blown through so much cash given that 500% match they teased me with last month.

It is literally impossible so many well-educated Longhorn alumni are this fucking stupid.  Did you guys just wipe your ass with your diplomas?  

Edited by Lobo

10 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Umm. 
Speak for yourself.

In 2016, my non-suburban district had tons of Trump signs. I think my precinct went Trump 56, Hillary 40’s. This year, Trump and Biden signs are  equal if slightly tilting Biden. 

Trump supporters are generally far more vocal than Biden supporters. People privately come up to me regularly and confide, “I’m voting Biden”. Whether that’s the truth or not, I don’t know but it’s a good sign.

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I forget which talking head I saw the other day speculate that Team Dotard has already bailed on Michigan and Arizona, and Pennsylvania is next. Theft is really the only explanation as to how they can be broke at this point. 

Do you know how expensive it is to maintain a death star?  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

19 minutes ago, kevwun said:

An audit of the Trump campaign is going to find that he stole most of the money.  500K in an important battleground state?  I foresee jail time and plea deals in the future of the folks running his campaign.

Lol at all this. First off, they're not broke. They just raised 200 million which would have been the all time record if Biden hadn't crushed it. Second, Michigan isn't a swing state it's lost, and they know that. Third, why overspend in PA or Florida when they're going to be able to steal those states for free? Blowing 20 million dollars when you can take it for free is something Suckers do /Trump.

12 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah, it’s almost like Biden’s going to win this election pretty easily. And has been basically guaranteed to ever since the corona wrecked the economy in March, taking away literally the one and only positive thing Trump can point to. 

Have you looked outside your suburban living room window lately?  That's a negro walking through your neighborhood doing god knows what.  I think that that mexican dude is with a tree trimming service.  But perhaps not.

Plus Portland.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

This maybe 

Fearing a coming cash crunch, President Trump’s campaign has pulled back from television advertising over the last month, ceding to Democratic nominee Joe Biden a huge advantage in key states and sparking disagreements over strategy within the president’s senior team.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/republican-worries-rise-as-trump-campaign-pulls-back-from-television-advertising/2020/09/10/92db20e4-f2b7-11ea-b796-2dd09962649c_story.html

GOP raised a billion dollars and is cash strapped. The grift from Pascale and paying salaries to wife/gf of Trump sons doesn’t come cheap, I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

GOP raised a billion dollars and is cash strapped. The grift from Pascale and paying salaries to wife/gf of Trump sons doesn’t come cheap, I guess. 

IMHO the Parscale part is why they are bleeding cash. Aren't a lot of their funds being funneled through one of his companies and he's basically been on a personal spending spree with the dough?

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

IMHO the Parscale part is why they are bleeding cash. Aren't a lot of their funds being funneled through one of his companies and he's basically been on a personal spending spree with the dough?

Yes. When he was campaign director, he funneled virtually all spending through his personal political consulting firm and took a slice. He’s no longer the top guy, but the campaign is still paying his consulting firm

• Hook 'Em 1