2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It just feels like it's trending that way, along with Florida. It's all anecdotal, lots of different articles talking about unshakable his support is in certain counties. I think it's citizens know it is an important state and will get out and vote in unheard of numbers, but I don't know if blue matches the enthusiasm of red. And while yesterdays news from their courts is great, goddamn if it isn't setting up the scenario where one state decides and the calls for fraud will be overwhelming. Even if it goes blue it feels like civil unrest. 

Not sure I agree with the bolded part.  If Dems can't get enthusiastic about this election we/they deserve to lose to the Republicans.  I have been following politics for over 30 years and this isn't "I don't like Bush/Dole/McCain's policies or I don't like Obama/Clinton/Kerry's policies.  This a total nut job piece of shit who conned the country into letting him play President trying to con them again.  It will work on some but there are way to many people foaming at the mouth to vote this guy out compared to previous elections.  I think we see the loud and vocal Trumpers but there are way more people sitting back saying "fuck this shit it's time we get a grown up back in charge" and they will just quietly go out and vote for Biden.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

From looking at 538, Trump is looking worse and worse. States, that he absolutely cannot lose, are becoming coin tosses: OH, GA, IA, TX. And states that he needs to win are starting to slip away.  I don't think he loses TX but if you have enough of the close races, odds are that you will lose one of them. Take away any of those 4 (maybe not IA) but Trump's paths to victory become extremely narrow.

Don't get me wrong, Biden has a lead in some "coin toss" states as well but for him, he doesn't need them. He can lose NC and FL but win.

• Like 1

Listen, let me start by saying to each of you I've never been hoping to be wrong more than at any point in my life. And this is a guy who decried Greg Davis since the beginning and had to watch a Red River Shootout every year.

6 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Trump won PA by a whopping 44k votes in 2016 when the Dems put a terrible candidate on the ballot and there were many more 3rd party candidates taking away votes. For perspective, Obama won PA by 287k votes in 2012. The result is probably going to fall somewhere in between those two numbers and, unless you think Trump has expanded his base, I think that really favors Biden. 

I know all this man. It just feels like PA is finding a way to behave like fucking Florida. But yeah, I know all of this. I am not pretending my gut is anything other than 2020 PTSD and being a fucking pussy. 

6 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

PA has a D governor and Secy of State.  The Philly burbs are going Biden, but the question will be turnout on Nov. 3 and the mail-in vote.  

PA has no true early voting, only absentee.  

If turnout is depressed for any reason (weather, COVID, whatever) in the Philly burbs, yikes.  If the mail-in vote tabulation is a shitshow, yikes.  

Bottom line is Biden could carry PA fairly easily with a heavy suburban turnout in Philly.  If not, it's much closer to a coin flip.  

Biden won't take PA for granted.  He's from there, has deep roots, and Delaware is also often a PA election surrogate.

Generally agree. Although I wonder about Delaware as a Surrogate works this time around. Obviously Biden will win Delaware regardless. 

4 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Not sure I agree with the bolded part.  If Dems can't get enthusiastic about this election we/they deserve to lose to the Republicans.  I have been following politics for over 30 years and this isn't "I don't like Bush/Dole/McCain's policies or I don't like Obama/Clinton/Kerry's policies.  This a total nut job piece of shit who conned the country into letting him play President trying to con them again.  It will work on some but there are way to many people foaming at the mouth to vote this guy out compared to previous elections.  I think we see the loud and vocal Trumpers but there are way more people sitting back saying "fuck this shit it's time we get a grown up back in charge" and they will just quietly go out and vote for Biden.

Deserve's got nothin' to do with it. I mean, I agree with your premise, but it's just that, a premise. Oh, they SHOULD be motivated. Man, we should always be motivated, but I get your point, sure. I hope you are correct. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen, let me start by saying to each of you I've never been hoping to be wrong more than at any point in my life. And this is a guy who decried Greg Davis since the beginning and had to watch a Red River Shootout every year.

I know all this man. It just feels like PA is finding a way to behave like fucking Florida. But yeah, I know all of this. I am not pretending my gut is anything other than 2020 PTSD and being a fucking pussy. 

Generally agree. Although I wonder about Delaware as a Surrogate works this time around. Obviously Biden will win Delaware regardless. 

Deserve's got nothin' to do with it. I mean, I agree with your premise, but it's just that, a premise. Oh, they SHOULD be motivated. Man, we should always be motivated, but I get your point, sure. I hope you are correct. 

First off I am trying not to lose my shit in a Trump thread but let's not even mention the name Greg Davis as that gets me enraged beyond belief.  I know what I stated was just a premise but so is your "feeling" that PA is moving like FL.  I grew up in FL and lived in Philly for a time.  FL is a fucked up state when it comes to voting (CSB- the Bush lawyers used a case of my father vs FL at the Supreme Court when they argued for the votes to stop being counted during the 2000 debacle).  Which was brutal because my father was a life long democrat.  PA is more of a blue state that I think was more of a fluke that it went Red last cycle similar to Michigan.  Philly and Pittsburgh will carry that state back to the Blue column and I wouldn't be surprised if Joe grabbed some more votes than Clinton in the Scranton type areas also.

47 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yep. Trump will get 25-30 percent of the vote in Travis County. They don't all live in Lakeway. They just keep their heads down at work and socially (and circle jerk on the DT board) because they're so vastly outnumbered. Same as a Democrat in Waco or Midland.

Now, do they exist in numbers so vast that they make polling ubreliaable? Probably not.

Good point.  Our small street has 12 homes in an HOA of about 100 homes.  For a long while (we've been in our current home for over 14 years)...we were kind of a moderate/center-left neighborhood in a center-right/solid GOP overall part of town within an obviously more liberal City of Austin.  If that makes sense. We were a tiny blueberry in a larger strawberry in a larger blueberry pie in a huge cherry pie.  Or something, I dunno.  

But Covid-19 has brought something interesting out about little street.  The handful of regular GOP voters, which used to also include me for a lot of elections...were more of the Chamber of Commerce type voters.  In 2016, 2 of us voted Gary Johnson, 5 voted for Hillary, and 5 voted for Trump.  But again, of those 5 Trumpers, I'd say all 5 were straight-ticket/just don't like Hillary type Trump voters.  I wouldn't say any of them struck me as big Trumpers/MAGA crazies.  I got plenty of those others folks in my life.  But then Covid-19 and BLM/social injustice come down the pike.  And holy shit, 4 of the 5 Trump households really started showing their true colors.  They were the "heads down at work and socially and circle jerk on the DT board" types.  But I don't know if they all got an email.  But it's been borderline "Coronavirus is a Hoax", fuck the rules, fuck masks, fuck schools closing, fuck people of color and their bitching/moaning, fuck your feelings but completely adhere to mine, fuck the media, fuck Fauci, fuck County Health Officials, etc., etc., etc.  Nothing overly hateful, but a few families that we're still good friends with really started showing an uglier side of their personalities and value set.  It's always been a "takes a village" mindset on our street, we were all comfortable with our kids playing outside together for hours on end with no adult supervision, all the adults hung out regularly both around the street and downtown, etc.  But I guess it's cool now to show your ugly, racist, hateful side.  Fucked up.  Anyway...  

tl/dr...............still after almost 4 years...people are still getting the call to reveal their hateful side despite being completely silent for 3.5 years. 

Edited by Lobo

10 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

This is what I want to hear. Lost faith in USPS so they decided to in-person vote.  Florida take notes here...

The lines are crazy though... I don't get that. How can Texas possible do it such that I barely ever have to wait in line for early voting, but they have lines going on and on??

Let's have this thing decided the minute the west coast polls close... bed by 10pm

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This is what I want to hear. Lost faith in USPS so they decided to in-person vote.  Florida take notes here...

The lines are crazy though... I don't get that. How can Texas possible do it such that I barely ever have to wait in line for early voting, but they have lines going on and on??

Let's have this thing decided the minute the west coast polls close... bed by 10pm

Well, part of this is (1) enthusiasm on the first day and (2) the restrictions on the numbers that can be in the building. That line outside looks longer than it really is. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Disagree.  Most Trump voters are loud nutbars.  But there's a sizable portion that is your neighbors....people who would be embarrassed for their neighbors to find out they support a racist shitbag, because hey, they just like lower taxes.

I'm not saying that there aren't people who don't advertise their political affiliation at cocktail parties.

I'm talking about the shy-Trump-voter theory of polling error.  Do you think there are a bunch of people who are too embarrassed to tell an anonymous pollster that they're voting for Trump?  Because there's absolutely no evidence of such a phenonemon.  

26 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The PA=FL take is misguided.  They are entirely different states with different demographics and political cultures.

To the extent Florida is competitive, it is because of the fucking Cubans in South Florida.  They control the media down there, and the shit they spew on relatively mainstream media is just this side of Q.  It really is wild.  

Pennsylvania's an entirely different issue.  And from Biden's standpoint, it's a lot more of a controllable issue.

• Hook 'Em 1

Strong batch of polls out for JB.

Marist (National LV, 9/11-16) 

52-43 in the head to head or

49-42-7 with third-parties included (seems 4-5 points higher than actual 3rd party vote share will be).

CIVIQS (Midwest RV, 9/11-15)

MI: 53-42

WI: 51-44

PA: 52-45

OH: 45-48

Edited by Storm the Field

The "He got the questions!!!" conspiracy theory/complaint is so fucking dumb.  They're going to ask about the same topics, which should all be a part of your platform anyway.  They're not going to ask about immigration and COVID and then shift to ask them about the Bolshevik Revolution.

4 minutes ago, Stringer said:

The "He got the questions!!!" conspiracy theory/complaint is so fucking dumb.  They're going to ask about the same topics, which should all be a part of your platform anyway.  They're not going to ask about immigration and COVID and then shift to ask them about the Bolshevik Revolution.

Any chance dotard pulls an Eric during the debates?  Cause that would be awesome.

7a46c032-6cc5-4ba3-b2f5-652b3fddacf7_tex

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Anyone know if this is a predominantly Republican or Democrat area?  Curious if all these people are lined up on the first to day to vote Trump out of office or to vote for their Trump lord to stay in office.  

Pretty sure Richmond is D territory.  As a generalization, anywhere there are actual people in VA is going to be Dem heavy.  The R areas are mainly rural

2 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

People in Virginia are smart. They make tons of money, they’re very educated, and the republicans tricks never fool them. That state is getting bluer and bluer. I freaking love it.

True.  Moved to VA a few years ago after spending my entire life in Texas.  It is truly refreshing to be around educated people and have a state government that isn’t actively trying to prove government is the enemy.  Public schools are good, people actually have health insurance, and local government is responsive.  Yea paying state income tax sucks, but my property tax and  sales tax are a fraction of what i paid in TX and are basically a wash.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/16/2020 at 4:20 PM, Dahobbs said:

Well, pretty much every premise in your post was wrong. I wouldn't be so confident in your conclusion.  

Well, except that the top of the DJIA used to employ a bunch of morons in addition to the high-wage, educated or highly skilled workers.

Now they don't.

It all gets back to "what do we do with the morons"?

No one was really the "party of morons" until Trump.  And Trump just wins by being a moron, not by actually helping any.

I rest my case.

And, I think longer term, simply being a moron and espousing moron ideas isn't  adequate to hold an electoral base.  Trump has been the accidental beneficiary of a fairly solid economy and an irrational stock market, but that shit is coming to an end sooner or later.  Even morons will eventually tire of their own stupidity.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

Strong batch of polls out for JB.
Marist (National LV, 9/11-16) 
52-43 in the head to head or
49-42-7 with third-parties included (seems 4-5 points higher than actual 3rd party vote share will be).
CIVIQS (Midwest RV, 9/11-15)
MI: 53-42
WI: 51-44
PA: 52-45
OH: 45-48
What you have to feel good about with the polls this year is that Biden is consistently hitting not just 50 percent, but above that, in WI and MI. Less so PA but still it happens. Clinton just never hit those levels.

10 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Another high quality poll showing Biden with a steady lead.  Interesting breakout here.  Fucking white evangelicals ... 

This can't be stated enough and Jesus gives them the excuses they need to vote for Trump. I see it every day working and living in Trumplandia.

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, except that the top of the DJIA used to employ a bunch of morons in addition to the high-wage, educated or highly skilled workers.

Now they don't.

No one was really the "party of morons" until Trump.  And Trump just wins by being a moron, not by actually helping any.

Great post.  With a solid finish with the bolded.

16 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Another high quality poll showing Biden with a steady lead.  Interesting breakout here.  Fucking white evangelicals ... 

I always felt that voting should be limited to the educated, but apparently that's frowned upon.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Now they don't.

I rest my case.

And, I think longer term, simply being a moron and espousing moron ideas isn't  adequate to hold an electoral base.  Trump has been the accidental beneficiary of a fairly solid economy and an irrational stock market, but that shit is coming to an end sooner or later.  Even morons will eventually tire of their own stupidity.

Your post made me think of that "the Far Side" cartoon where it's a bunch of sheep standing around inside a house at a cocktail party.  They all have dumb, sheepish looks on their face and one of 'em says, "Our party's total chaos.  No one knows when to eat, where to stand, what to....Oh thank God!  Here comes a Border Collie!"  

That's all he is, he's a Border Collie for Sheep.  He herded them up into a corral (in this case the most easily usurped political party-the GOP) using little more than barking and fear.  And like a dog, Trump too has masters.  He was just the most convenient way to round up the mindless.  Sadly, Gary Larson's material is much funnier than the current American nightmare. 

I think the message is going to get a lot worse for Trump in the coming weeks.  While I would love for someone to wave a magic wand and make Covid go away today, the fact is that case count (which is somewhat dubious) is climbing, along with fatality count (which is not dubious).  If in fact cases and hospitalizations are actually increasing in the US, then we're going to see a much higher mortality rate in about 3 weeks, and that is not going to be easily disputed with Trump lies like "we've turned the corner", etc.

5 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I know this has already been covered and maybe even this tweet, but I'm stunned by the visual of the people standing in line. That's crazy... crazy good. I'm guessing it's not good news for Dotard. 

He's going to get the troops out there if he starts watching this for long. At least that's what I'm afraid of.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Yep. Trump will get 25-30 percent of the vote in Travis County. They don't all live in Lakeway. They just keep their heads down at work and socially (and circle jerk on the DT board) because they're so vastly outnumbered. Same as a Democrat in Waco or Midland.

Now, do they exist in numbers so vast that they make polling ubreliaable? Probably not.

A good friend of mine from high school who supports trump and I’m still friends with despite that obvious character flaw lives in south Austin. Complains all the time that there’s way too many liberals in South Austin and is tired of it so says he’s moving to round rock.

I told him you know Williamson County voted for Beto and he said yeah but barely. I’m like why did you move to south Austin in the first place it’s not like it just now became liberal and that’s like moving to a place next to the airport and complaining about noise from the planes. 

Anyway the point is he’s kind of a dumbass. 

1 hour ago, Gap03 said:

Suburbs Biden +16?  I don't know about that.  That seems a little high to me, but maybe. If that number is correct then the election isn't close it's a rout, and Texas and GA probably flipping, along with of course rust belt, AZ, NC, Florida etc.  

1 hour ago, Gap03 said:

Abortion is a scrong issue for that chunk of voters.  They will support whatever the R's roll out because they are scared they will go to hell if they don't.  Pastor out front should have told ya.  

43 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's that difficult for you to imagine people who might have otherwise voted decide their vote is no longer needed?

Every study I've ever seen from economists who do this shit for a living says that you want to be the front runner and people are going to band wagon along with you in greater numbers than go out determined to vote for the other guy.  This is just bedwetting worries from people who aren't viewing this rationally. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The older baby boomers have turned against trump since he’s trying to kill them and that threatens to make the election a rout. It’s why trump is hammering against vote by mail because the older baby boomers want to vote by mail so trump doesn’t kill them at the voting booth. 

The younger baby boomers are still pieces of shit because they don’t think trump is trying to kill them as much and because they are still pieces of shit. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Every study I've ever seen from economists who do this shit for a living says that you want to be the front runner and people are going to band wagon along with you in greater numbers than go out determined to vote for the other guy.  This is just bedwetting worries from people who aren't viewing this rationally. 

Yeah, that has nothing to do with what I saying, but thanks for the input.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, that has nothing to do with what I saying, but thanks for the input.

I wasn't calling you a bedwetter btw, I was using your post as a jump off point for everyone on here who is concerned about all sorts of things in this election being possible harbingers of doom for team blue. I understand what you are saying.  What I'm saying is that you are wrong.  People want to be a part of a greater story, and people want to be on the winning team.  Hearing massive amounts of people are voting in this election and they are doing it to oust Trump is going to raise support for Biden not lower it.   It will be a positive feedback loop where results feed on themselves.  

We've seen this story already in 2018. It was a skull fucking. Since then we've got 200k dead and a tanked economy to add to the list of things people bitch about in regards to Trump, along with a general sense that America is turning into a tire fire.  Those are all data points that work strongly against him.

It's become like Bill in Sinton posting about maintaining focusness against UTEP b/c once upon a time they were tied with UT after a quarter and a half 48 years ago.  Embrace the mudhole.  That's what's coming.  

Again, this is a jumping off point for general board fear and loathing.  Not necessarily aimed specifically at you (other than the back half of the first paragraph).

2 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Trump won PA by a whopping 44k votes in 2016 when the Dems put a terrible candidate on the ballot and there were many more 3rd party candidates taking away votes. For perspective, Obama won PA by 287k votes in 2012. The result is probably going to fall somewhere in between those two numbers and, unless you think Trump has expanded his base, I think that really favors Biden. 

Yeah, and Biden's from PA.  He'll get some of the Scranton vote that went for trump.  That said, the issue is only whether Biden's margin of victory is large enough to overcome trump's margin of cheating.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I know this has already been covered and maybe even this tweet, but I'm stunned by the visual of the people standing in line. That's crazy... crazy good. I'm guessing it's not good news for Dotard. 

For all those wondering about the lines of people to vote in Fairfax County.

Fairfax County is the largest county in VA population wise - the next closest county is half the population.  It's a well-off county and highly educated (no humblebrag).  Over the past 10 years, the county has turned very Blue.  Its a large county area-wise so there are some diverse pockets that still go red but those are shrinking fast.  I live out in the far west part of the county and in 2018, our R-congresswoman (who disavowed a lot of what Trump stood for and was more moderate than most) lost her reelection bid by a pretty large margin.  That was the first Dem representative since 1980 for this part of the county.  Fairfax is getting closer to the close in suburbs of Alexandria and Arlington politics-wise.

Large turnout in Fairfax is terrible news for the Republicans as it will be almost impossible to make up the deficit of votes in other parts of the state.  Not that VA going blue is a surprise - we haven't had any ads on the air here this cycle.

One of the reasons for the long lines that's making this newsworthy is that this is the first year VA has allowed no-excuse early voting.  In the past, you had to have a reason so this is kind of a novelty for us up here.

• Hook 'Em 1