2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

The USC-led poll is the one that tracks the same 6000 people and asks them to reply back with their Trump/Biden preference about every 2 weeks. People reply back at different intervals, or even skip a reply.  Anyway there was some tightening last week but over the weekend it widened some back to Biden with a sizeable lead.  Given that a large majority of people must be locked in, this can be a measure of undecided changes.

https://election.usc.edu/

prob1_gray - Copy.jpeg

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

How do official party poll watchers work? It would seem like they could really obstruct a poll if they started implying that the workers were failing to do their jobs correctly. Are they only there to watch escalate problems to the county, or can they actually interject themselves into the voting process?

18 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

I’ve been making the Austin to Victoria drive every few weeks for a slew of weddings and family outings. Before this weekend I had never seen any kind of Biden signs during that trip. Saw seven today on my way back. Two in Victoria near my parents, two in Cuero, one in Gonzales and two in Lockhart.

Starting to see Biden signs on drive out through Blanco county.  There are a couple Trump flags and signs, the latter being on fences lines along unpaved roads with a mobile home tucked up by their gate. Biden signs also outnumber Trump signs driving through bee cave/lakeway area. Biden winning the sign war in both of these heavy Trump leaning areas. 

Starting to see Biden signs on drive out through Blanco county.  There are a couple Trump flags and signs, the latter being on fences lines along unpaved roads with a mobile home tucked up by their gate. Biden signs also outnumber Trump signs driving through bee cave/lakeway area. Biden winning the sign war in both of these heavy Trump leaning areas. 
Drove to Lufkin from Houston for work last week. Two giant Biden billboards on US-59 well outside of the Houston area. Tons of Trump shit and I'm under no illusion that it means anything other than the Democratic candidate has decided to put enough investment into Texas that these billboards in Livingston or wherever exist. That alone is a pretty dramatic shift though.

19 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

I’ve been making the Austin to Victoria drive every few weeks for a slew of weddings and family outings. Before this weekend I had never seen any kind of Biden signs during that trip. Saw seven today on my way back. Two in Victoria near my parents, two in Cuero, one in Gonzales and two in Lockhart.

I just came back from a wedding in Edna and I saw 1 Biden sign on the way back to San Antonio.  That whole area is trumpville highlighted by the 70 year old uncle or grandpa wearing a trump 2020 cap to the reception.  I just find it so weird the obsession with trump that you would wear the cap to a wedding but I guess.  

56 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How do official party poll watchers work? It would seem like they could really obstruct a poll if they started implying that the workers were failing to do their jobs correctly. Are they only there to watch escalate problems to the county, or can they actually interject themselves into the voting process?

They're there to intimidate potential voters.

10 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Universally they care more about trolling people than any real policies. They take his 2016 win as permission to be an asshole in every day aspects of their lives. 

that is what I have noticed as well.  Obama being president really broke some of them.  I have some friends that argue about the economy and tax policies of the 2 candidates where they don't make anywhere near the 400K that will be newly taxed and would actually benefit if trump's tax plan was rolled back but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

In my Cypress neighborhood I've seen one Trump yard and one Biden yard so far. The Trumpkins are more vocal on the Facebook group but those threads lose steam fast.

2016 was a yard sign bloodbath as you can imagine. My precinct went Trump 67.2%, Clinton 28.4% in 2016. I honestly think Trump 60/40 is a reasonable possibility this election, seems totally realistic that he's lost that much support and that Biden is that much less hated than Clinton.

edit - actually, looking at it makes it seem like it could be even closer. The 2018 result was Cruz 63.7%, O'Rourke 35.5%. That makes me think that Trump 60/40 is probably the middle ground prediction. Trump might not even get 60% in my northwest Houston suburb area. Sheesh.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I imagine it varies from state to state.  In Nebraska, they are there to observe for irregularities.  They are not allowed to "electioneer" (wear political gear, hold political signs, or talk politics),  They are not allowed to get within 8 feet of the voter books (so they can't read who has voted).  I think there are ways they could jam up the voting speed, by challenging if folks are allowed to vote.  Anyone can make that challenge, but the voter still votes, the challenge is just reviewed before it is counted. But, according to my poll worker training, challenges are very rare.  I'm guessing the biggest thing they are looking for is that the end of lines are established right at the poll close time. 

35 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I honestly think Trump 60/40 is a reasonable possibility this election, seems totally realistic that he's lost that much support and that Biden is that much less hated than Clinton.

While the hate for Hillary has been been well documented on this site and pretty much everywhere, I ran a across a lecture given by Chris Hedges in 2017 that shed some additional light on some "Hillary haters":

In the lecture for his book tour (America: The Farewell Tour), Hedges was discussing some block voting by disenfranchised Indiana auto workers left high and dry when their GM plants high tailed it for Monterey, MEX (NAFTA).  From his interviews and polling data, these auto workers had voted in large numbers for Bernie Sanders as they had typically been democratic party voters.  In the general election they had turned around and voted for Trump.

In their case, it seems, they had long memories about Hillary's association with NAFTA, but were nevertheless willing to entertain progressive ideas to help their plight-just not from Hillary.

What I find interesting about their case was that they had an actual verifiable reason for hating Hillary rather than the usual right wing talking points.  These guys might come back and vote for Biden and I would cater to their hatred of NAFTA and Trumps "NAFTA 2.0"

• Hook 'Em 2

While the hate for Hillary has been been well documented on this site and pretty much everywhere, I ran a across a lecture given by Chris Hedges in 2017 that shed some additional light on some "Hillary haters": In the lecture for his book tour (America: The Farewell Tour), Hedges was discussing some block voting by disenfranchised Indiana auto workers left high and dry when their GM plants high tailed it for Monterey, MEX (NAFTA).  From his interviews and polling data, these auto workers had voted in large numbers for Bernie Sanders as they had typically been democratic party voters.  In the general election they had turned around and voted for Trump. In their case, it seems, they had long memories about Hillary's association with NAFTA, but were nevertheless willing to entertain progressive ideas to help their plight-just not from Hillary.

What I find interesting about their case was that they had an actual verifiable reason for hating Hillary rather than the usual right wing talking points.  These guys might come back and vote for Biden and I would cater to their hatred of NAFTA and Trumps "NAFTA 2.0"

Not trying to be pedantic here but Hillary's terrible strategy in the Midwest and her incredibly bad marketing to traditional democrat voting union types has been fleshed out thoroughly on this site. Well beyond "typical republican talking points". Her loss of blue collar workers is a well known thing. In fact, for those of us here who harbor some resentment of her for buying the nomination then giving us the worst president in our lifetimes, her failure in the Midwest is our biggest issue with her. It was catastrophic and stupid and arrogant. And preventable. 

For someone whose competence is supposedly one of her biggest strengths, it was a terrible display of gross incompetence that will have negative lasting consequences for generations.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

While the hate for Hillary has been been well documented on this site and pretty much everywhere, I ran a across a lecture given by Chris Hedges in 2017 that shed some additional light on some "Hillary haters":

In the lecture for his book tour (America: The Farewell Tour), Hedges was discussing some block voting by disenfranchised Indiana auto workers left high and dry when their GM plants high tailed it for Monterey, MEX (NAFTA).  From his interviews and polling data, these auto workers had voted in large numbers for Bernie Sanders as they had typically been democratic party voters.  In the general election they had turned around and voted for Trump.

In their case, it seems, they had long memories about Hillary's association with NAFTA, but were nevertheless willing to entertain progressive ideas to help their plight-just not from Hillary.

What I find interesting about their case was that they had an actual verifiable reason for hating Hillary rather than the usual right wing talking points.  

Go figure, right? Some people voted in their perceived best interests on a policy issue. Wild stuff. 
That being said, Bernie primary voters voted for Trump in 16 at a lower rate than Clinton primary voters voted for McCain in 08. The Bernie Bro defection wasn't really a thing.

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Not trying to be pedantic here but Hillary's terrible strategy in the Midwest and her incredibly bad marketing to traditional democrat voting union types has been fleshed out thoroughly on this site. Well beyond "typical republican talking points*. Her loss of blue collar workers is a well known thing. In fact, for those of us here who harbor some resentment of her for buying the nomination then giving us the worst president in our lifetimes, her failure in the Midwest is our biggest issue with her. It was catastrophic and stupid and arrogant. And preventable.

Agree fully. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

i don't know what to make of trumps improved numbers with black and latino voters.  
The whites don't have a monopoly on stupid and partisanship is a bitch.

I see the "improvement" without black voters parroted a lot, but he also consistently polls
He's also in the 30s with Latinos, petty typical GOP vote share. He got like 30 percent in 2016. We'll see how it shakes it but nothing particularly unusual, IMO.
  • Hook 'Em 1

A R loss of Texas this election would be the best thing that could happen to the republic. Rs know there is literally 0 path to the White House without Texas and will get the message that there is a bottom threshold to the level of shitbag we will tolerate.   We aren’t OK, we aren’t AR.  I think it would very much change national politics toward the moderate in the future  

Great point. Texas as a backstop against total scumbaggery has a nice ring to it.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Is there even the slightest fucking chance we could stop all the hot takes on why Hillary failed to win the 2016 election?  It's like clockwork, but no new shit has come to light, man.  Every week or two, somebody "but Hillary"s one of a few threads, and then the usual suspects weigh in on whether her biggest headwind was her personality, her laziness, her lack of strategic and tactical thinking, her stupidity, her support of her philandering husband, or her looks, and off we go, re-litigating the same tired arguments, while also debating her qualifications for a job she failed to win.  Oh yeah, Russia.

We get it.  She was not the ideal candidate.  She "lost" the election.  Can we move on, for good?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

The whites don't have a monopoly on stupid and partisanship is a bitch.

I see the "improvement" without black voters parroted a lot, but he also consistently polls
He's also in the 30s with Latinos, petty typical GOP vote share. He got like 30 percent in 2016. We'll see how it shakes it but nothing particularly unusual, IMO.

On a 538 podcast regarding Hispanic voters and their preference. It was noted that Trump/GOP does well with Cubans obviously, and that Hispanic men vote more for the GOP while Hispanic women overwhelming vote Dem.  As far as voting trends, Hispanic men were said to vote similarly like non-college graduate white men.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is there even the slightest fucking chance we could stop all the hot takes on why Hillary failed to win the 2016 election?  It's like clockwork, but no new shit has come to light, man.  Every week or two, somebody "but Hillary"s one of a few threads, and then the usual suspects weigh in on whether her biggest headwind was her personality, her laziness, her lack of strategic and tactical thinking, her stupidity, her support of her philandering husband, or her looks, and off we go, re-litigating the same tired arguments, while also debating her qualifications for a job she failed to win.  Oh yeah, Russia.

We get it.  She was not the ideal candidate.  She "lost" the election.  Can we move on, for good?

FewEthicalGartersnake-size_restricted.gi

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Prolly not. But, nice of you to ask 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:
1 hour ago, otisdog said:
That would be rather a hollow ring if your current Senators are re-elected....

Well yeah and the felon currently serving as AG. Forget it, I'm rolling.

this is something that really drives me fucking crazy.  also the fact this his venue challenge has gone on so fucking long.

• Like 1

Then people should stop bringing her up.

7 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

I just came back from a wedding in Edna and I saw 1 Biden sign on the way back to San Antonio.  That whole area is trumpville highlighted by the 70 year old uncle or grandpa wearing a trump 2020 cap to the reception.  I just find it so weird the obsession with trump that you would wear the cap to a wedding but I guess.  

The tacky red hat must have clashed something awful with the maroon aggy jersey.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Uh that’s a no dog gif

My poors inlaws are digging in. Fox News is too liberal for them. They are afraid of what Biden is doing to America with all the protests etc... they are blaming everyone but themselves for their current financial issues. I asked my fil to watch an actual video of trump speaking about RBG spot and his tweet from 2016. He claimed it was fake. 

Some people just want to go down with the ship. Before he was elected I heard for months about how he wasn't conservative and there was no way he would vote for that 'piece of shit yankee'

I don't get it. I am a conservative voter that cannot watch this bullshit anymore. It isnt spin when this fucktard says it on an open mic/Twitter. Emberassing. The Republicans in power aren't conservative, they are sucking a demagogues dick. We are fucked.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Do you guys take 538 seriously?

seems like Biden’s chances of winning have been going up lately on there. It’s at 77%.

yeah.  their model put a ton of weight on the fact that it is a long time until election. so as the weeks tick past and nothing moves, the likelihood of biden winning goes up even though polling doesn't change.