2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I have zero idea what point it was trying to make. It was terrible.

I think he was trying to say that the October surprise might happen in November, or maybe December.

That piece would be lucky to get a C- in a Sam Houston State freshman English class.  I'm being charitable.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/us-attorney-battleground-pennsylvania-investigating-023800972.html

This is your setup for Trump to take over everything and move to invalidate mail in ballots.  I think it's a planted setup and the gang of merry dipshits will fuck it up like always but they're on it.  And it's in a swing state no doubt.  

Edited by Mdhorn

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think he was trying to say that the October surprise might happen in November, or maybe December.

That piece would be lucky to get a C- in a Sam Houston State freshman English class.  I'm being charitable.

It would be pretty fucking awesome if his own handpicked court shot him down.  I know it’s a pipe dream, but it makes me smile to think about it.

14 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Why the fuck were you ever on that site?  Also, I'm not sure that he's wrong about any of that shit- what say you Mr. sales guy?

I don't do much shit beyond neuro linguistic programing when I'm in sales mode, I do try to pay attention to that.  Beyond that- I sell myself as authentic, but reading that (why did I read that again) it didn't strike me as implausible.  

I was on that site because I did a google search on “Scott Adams PUA” because I was curious if the creator of Dilbert was big in that strange, sad world and ... of course he is.

But yes- to a certain extent, if you scrape away the thick, fragile crust of bullshit, those are all techniques that some salespeople use, particularly in non-consultative but big-ticket sales situations like timeshares and exotic cars.

In consultative selling your ability to close is closely correlated to your personal credibility and whether key, senior people perceive you as a peer and value your opinion. So NLP, while occasionally useful really only helps when you are trying to establish comfort and trust. 
Some of the attention/interest stuff can be useful in a technology demonstration, but even then it’s closer to how a magician controls the attention and focus of their audience than the PUA nonsense. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/us-attorney-battleground-pennsylvania-investigating-023800972.html

This is your setup for Trump to take over everything and move to invalidate mail in ballots.  I think it's a planted setup and the gang of merry dipshits will fuck it up like always but they're on it.  And it's in a swing state no doubt.  

Trumper throws away 7 trump ballots. PROOF OF THE ENTIRE ELECTION BEING RIGGED!

• Like 1

Good "The Daily" podcast today. 

If Biden can distill this podcast into a tight answer about how no one is going to do away with their police forces but that under his watch the federal government is going to assist, if needed, as local communities reform their police departments as they see fit, he will absolutely gut Trump's bogus law and order arguments.

"Lemme tell you about Minneapolis...."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/25/podcasts/the-daily/george-floyd-police-reform-election.html

Edited by tantric superman

Wait, sorry. I thought Hugo's post was separate from the convo.  Carry on.

Oh an @Wulaw Horn. I get that you are busy: husband, father, work, etc. but stop by C-SPAN sometime. Here's the link:

They have Biden videos from various debates, interviews, and campaign stops and here is one from him this week in North Carolina. If you click on the yellow stars it takes you to the highlights (the first two stars are the mayor, and Chris Paul, so try the third). Anyway, I watched the whole video and Biden takes questions from various people and spends time talking. No teleprompter although he does have a little cheat sheet (like many of us would to stay on time limits/focus). He addresses his support for minimum wage increase and why among other things.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?476085-1/joe-biden-campaigns-charlotte-north-carolina

Here's one from Duluth two weeks ago where he talks about Buy America as well as his idea for prescription drugs.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?475728-1/joe-biden-touts-buy-american-prescription-drug-plans-duluth-minnesota

In contrast, the current office holder spent his time in Minnesota talking about how great he is and Hillary's emails. He doesn't really seem to know what's going on.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I was on that site because I did a google search on “Scott Adams PUA” because I was curious if the creator of Dilbert was big in that strange, sad world and ... of course he is.

But yes- to a certain extent, if you scrape away the thick, fragile crust of bullshit, those are all techniques that some salespeople use, particularly in non-consultative but big-ticket sales situations like timeshares and exotic cars.

In consultative selling your ability to close is closely correlated to your personal credibility and whether key, senior people perceive you as a peer and value your opinion. So NLP, while occasionally useful really only helps when you are trying to establish comfort and trust. 
Some of the attention/interest stuff can be useful in a technology demonstration, but even then it’s closer to how a magician controls the attention and focus of their audience than the PUA nonsense. 

Thanks. Dare I ask- what’s PUA?  
when I talk about NLP all I mean is this-  

Instead of asking- do you know anyone... I ask- who do you know that. Instead of asking- will you meet me at an appointment it’s what would be the most convenient time for us to meet- shit like that. No idea if it really works but when it was explained to me why those were better ways to Ask the question it made sense. 

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

If you can’t win on “Fuck Trump”, the country’s over.

It seems like a winning argument. I fully expect it will be. I have a slight pause because Hillary ran on that and didn’t win, but I think that was a her thing more than a message thing. We shall see with this election here. 

39 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Wait, sorry. I thought Hugo's post was separate from the convo.  Carry on.

Oh an @Wulaw Horn. I get that you are busy: husband, father, work, etc. but stop by C-SPAN sometime. Here's the link:

They have Biden videos from various debates, interviews, and campaign stops and here is one from him this week in North Carolina. If you click on the yellow stars it takes you to the highlights (the first two stars are the mayor, and Chris Paul, so try the third). Anyway, I watched the whole video and Biden takes questions from various people and spends time talking. No teleprompter although he does have a little cheat sheet (like many of us would to stay on time limits/focus). He addresses his support for minimum wage increase and why among other things.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?476085-1/joe-biden-campaigns-charlotte-north-carolina

Here's one from Duluth two weeks ago where he talks about Buy America as well as his idea for prescription drugs.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?475728-1/joe-biden-touts-buy-american-prescription-drug-plans-duluth-minnesota

In contrast, the current office holder spent his time in Minnesota talking about how great he is and Hillary's emails. He doesn't really seem to know what's going on.

I’m not literally saying neither he nor Hillary don’t have a a single policy initiative- I’m saying it’s just not at all part of any coherent messaging- what they plan on doing- beyond- not be that guy. 
I think it’s a winning strategy!  I just have something that makes me wonder is all. 

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Instead of asking- will you meet me at an appointment it’s what would be the most convenient time for us to meet- shit like that. No idea if it really works 

As an engineer who often has to field cold calls, I am here to tell you that there is at least one potential customer out there who will cross a salesperson off the list if they open up with bullshit like that.  Ask me if we can meet, because I'm the one doing the favor, not you.

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Thanks. Dare I ask- what’s PUA?  

Pick Up Artist. A weird, sad subculture. 

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Instead of asking- do you know anyone... I ask- who do you know that. Instead of asking- will you meet me at an appointment it’s what would be the most convenient time for us to meet- shit like that. No idea if it really works but when it was explained to me why those were better ways to Ask the question it made sense.

Those are high risk, low-reward techniques with the wrong people. I work with bankers, venture capitalists, C-level execs, software engineers and startup founders. That kind of thing will get you bounced right out of the room or they laugh at you like Jabba laughed at Luke. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m not literally saying neither he nor Hillary don’t have a a single policy initiative- I’m saying it’s just not at all part of any coherent messaging- what they plan on doing- beyond- not be that guy. 

I think this is a good point and we have reached the moment where Trump has unloaded all of his clips into his feet (for now). Biden needs to now say what his vision is and do so simply.

I'm very surprised Biden's campaign hasn't focused on Trump's elimination of the Pandemic Response Team. That's a tangible action he took that Biden and the Democrats could argue handicapped our response to the virus and lead to all of the problems we are facing today. Biden can say "hey, the administration I was a part of tried to be prepared for this, and this idiot got rid of it! are you better off as a result?" Boom, point made and roasted. And it affected EVERYONE in this country. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I'm very surprised Biden's campaign hasn't focused on Trump's elimination of the Pandemic Response Team. That's a tangible action he took that Biden and the Democrats could argue handicapped our response to the virus and lead to all of the problems we are facing today. Biden can say "hey, the administration I was a part of tried to be prepared for this, and this idiot got rid of it! are you better off as a result?" Boom, point made and roasted. And it affected EVERYONE in this country. 

Might be saving it for the debates.  Put him on the spot and watch him splutter about it.

32 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Those are high risk, low-reward techniques with the wrong people. I work with bankers, venture capitalists, C-level execs, software engineers and startup founders. That kind of thing will get you bounced right out of the room or they laugh at you like Jabba laughed at Luke. 

Laughing is the best medicine to give these yokels. You’ll never convince me otherwise.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

As an engineer who often has to field cold calls, I am here to tell you that there is at least one potential customer out there who will cross a salesperson off the list if they open up with bullshit like that.  Ask me if we can meet, because I'm the one doing the favor, not you.

Cool. Some will, some won’t, so what, someone is waiting. 
It’s not a cheese ball thing. I doubt you’d notice. Who Do you know I can help is a better question than, do you know anyone I can help. If that’s offensive to you cool. SW4 as I said earlier. 

Typical meandering Dan Carlin but he pretty much nails it - at least in terms of various non-policy arguments.

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/common-sense-320-steering-into-the-iceberg/

I do like his basic argument - the President of the US is the most dangerous person in the world.  Is Trump, and his guys,  the guy you think of when you are picking people to be the most dangerous person in the world?  Or would you rather have Biden or his VP and his Security Council in that position.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It seems like a winning argument. I fully expect it will be. I have a slight pause because Hillary ran on that and didn’t win, but I think that was a her thing more than a message thing. We shall see with this election here. 

If Biden has a weakness, it’s that he doesn’t have a BIG idea he’s planting his flag in and running with.  The good news for Biden is, unlike 2016, Trump doesn’t have any big ideas he’s trying to advance, unless you count Trumpism as a governing philosophy. 

9 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

I tried for a while last night to figure out what the hell was going on there and the only conclusion that I could come to is that it’s a setup. 

They couldn’t have been standard ballots. Those weren’t even finalized until a few days ago because there was a fight over whether the Green Party candidate should be listed on the ballot. So there was no way those could have gone out, been sent back, and discarded in time for them to be found, the FBI start looking into it, and DOJ and the White House to have a coordinated response to it. 

Since they were military ballots they would have been blank write-in ballots that get sent out early. 

So someone at the elections office “finds” some discarded trump ballots in the dumpster outside and right away FBI is investigating and the DOJ IMMEDIATELY sends out a press release that “the FBI is looking into what happened. Oh also all 9 were cast for Trump.” Later has to issue a correction “oh wait, 2 of them were apparently resealed and stored before the FBI could get a hold of them so definitely 7 were cast for trump. Definitely 7. And we don’t know what happened so these votes may or may not have been counted. But someone is definitely throwing away votes for Trump. At least 7. Definitely.”

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

In my world asking someone who instead of do isn’t offensive or high risk. I can’t imagine it’s high risk in any setting but if there’s some group of people that are so awesome that they will cackle at me while hitting the trap door over that cool- I haven’t met them yet though. 

I feel like we probably aren’t speaking the same language right now- but like I said- it’s who do you know instead of do you know anyone, it’s how can I help you instead of can I help you. I seriously doubt, if asked with sincerity to any past customer or someone you’ve spent some amount of time building up rapport with, that this is a high risk strategy. YMMV. I’m but a humble purveyor of mortgages and title policies, trying to deliver saving and respect and quality service to the middle to upper middle class, with as many first timers as we can help along for the ride.

I’m not trying to close billion dollar deals, and I’m not the sales guy trying to sell ice to Eskimo’s- I’m just trying to tell as many people as possible- hey- I’ve got something that I think is cool over here that I believe in that I’d love to help you with. 

I loved Dilbert. Other than the far side and Calvin and Hobbes it was my favorite cartoon growing up when I read the funny papers. Although Dilbert is funny as the out of place engineer he does lack social skills. This thing with the Dilbert creator seems kind of weird to me but I guess I can sort of see it. Is he an engineer (the creator) by trade. Those dudes can get weird especially if they spend time as incels in their life. 

11 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Typical meandering Dan Carlin but he pretty much nails it - at least in terms of various non-policy arguments.

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/common-sense-320-steering-into-the-iceberg/

I do like his basic argument - the President of the US is the most dangerous person in the world.  Is Trump, and his guys,  the guy you think of when you are picking people to be the most dangerous person in the world?  Or would you rather have Biden or his VP and his Security Council in that position.

Thanks for the Carlin link. I love him with Hard core history- don’t listen to common sense. Is it long?  Is it good?  

50 minutes ago, The Dog said:
12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If Biden has a weakness, it’s that he doesn’t have a BIG idea he’s planting his flag in and running with.  The good news for Biden is, unlike 2016, Trump doesn’t have any big ideas he’s trying to advance, unless you count Trumpism as a governing philosophy. 

Say what you want about the tenants of Trumpism as a governing philosophy, but at least it’s an ethos. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Laughing is the best medicine to give these yokels. You’ll never convince me otherwise.  

So I was out on a call and we were in the office of a good-sized boutique bank  CEO with his CFO and Ops head. The rep was in his early 30's, and the CEO is mid 50's, business lender/rainmaker type. So the CEO is going over our proposal and points out that some aspect of our pricing is out of range and asks if we can talk about that specific line item.
The rep could have correctly interpreted this as an offer to negotiate on TCV, but instead he decides to neg the guy and says, without even a decent framing device,  "We aren't the right fit for organizations that are more concerned about controlling cost than innovation." 
And the CEO laughs and says: "Yeah? Ironic - we're not a good fit for sales guys who get to contract without qualifying prospects."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

In my world asking someone who instead of do isn’t offensive or high risk. I can’t imagine it’s high risk in any setting but if there’s some group of people that are so awesome that they will cackle at me while hitting the trap door over that cool- I haven’t met them yet though. 

I feel like we probably aren’t speaking the same language right now- but like I said- it’s who do you know instead of do you know anyone, it’s how can I help you instead of can I help you. I seriously doubt, if asked with sincerity to any past customer or someone you’ve spent some amount of time building up rapport with, that this is a high risk strategy. YMMV. I’m but a humble purveyor of mortgages and title policies, trying to deliver saving and respect and quality service to the middle to upper middle class, with as many first timers as we can help along for the ride.

I’m not trying to close billion dollar deals, and I’m not the sales guy trying to sell ice to Eskimo’s- I’m just trying to tell as many people as possible- hey- I’ve got something that I think is cool over here that I believe in that I’d love to help you with. 

I loved Dilbert. Other than the far side and Calvin and Hobbes it was my favorite cartoon growing up when I read the funny papers. Although Dilbert is funny as the out of place engineer he does lack social skills. This thing with the Dilbert creator seems kind of weird to me but I guess I can sort of see it. Is he an engineer (the creator) by trade. Those dudes can get weird especially if they spend time as incels in their life. 

I'm not denigrating the technique in and of itself, there's nothing wrong with what works.  it's really just a question of who you are talking to and what you are talking about. Nothing works with everybody.  "Who do you know that ____ " is a prospecting technique that can work really well but contains an embedded assumption that people who get a lot of attention from inside sales reps will immediately spot.. 

42 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Trump doesn't have plans for anything except grifting.  As always we ask the Democrat to provide their answers and work while the Republican can throw out such dipshitisms as we're going to build a wall and Mexico is going to pay for it.  That was the master plan that Hillary had to debate.  

And instead she talked about healthcare and a public option and improving it (improving healthcare has always been an issue with her), immigration reform, overturning Citizens United (who can't get behind this), equal pay, battled Benie for upping minimum wage and affordable education --not issues for Republicans so she ran on nothing in their views.   The lie is that she ran on nothing, the challenge was making any of this happen with a Republican Congress at the time, along with making something like affordable education tax payer friendly, while not raising taxes.  But regardless, the lie again is always that she ran on nothing or anything memorable, meaning none of these issues were concerns for Republican voters.    

And the same will apply to Biden--none of the issues that he would campaign on would move the needle for Republicans except they're against anything he's for, even if were nominating Garland to SCOTUS, who was originally put forth by Republicans.  They're full of shit when it comes to their phony concerns on what he will campaign on.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'm not denigrating the technique in and of itself, there's nothing wrong with what works.  it's really just a question of who you are talking to and what you are talking about. Nothing works with everybody.  "Who do you know that ____ " is a prospecting technique that can work really well but contains an embedded assumption that people who get a lot of attention from inside sales reps will immediately spot.. 

Sure. That’s where the disconnect is. I’m asking that question of a dude that is just a regular buyer that we’ve already done a loan for demonstrating our value. It’s like talking to your kids. 
did you learn anything at school? No

what did you learn at school?  We learned about...

15 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Trump doesn't have plans for anything except grifting.  As always we ask the Democrat to provide their answers and work while the Republican can throw out such dipshitisms as we're going to build a wall and Mexico is going to pay for it.  That was the master plan that Hillary had to debate.  

And instead she talked about healthcare and a public option and improving it (improving healthcare has always been an issue with her), immigration reform, overturning Citizens United (who can't get behind this), equal pay, battled Benie for upping minimum wage and affordable education --not issues for Republicans so she ran on nothing in their views.   The lie is that she ran on nothing, the challenge was making any of this happen with a Republican Congress at the time, along with making something like affordable education tax payer friendly, while not raising taxes.  But regardless, the lie again is always that she ran on nothing or anything memorable, meaning none of these issues were concerns for Republican voters.    

And the same will apply to Biden--none of the issues that he would campaign on would move the needle for Republicans except they're against anything he's for, even if were nominating Garland to SCOTUS, who was originally put forth by Republicans.  They're full of shit when it comes to their phony concerns on what he will campaign on.  

Lot of truth in this post. 

31 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'd eliminate anyone asking that question for not correctly using "whom" to begin the question. Know your targets, sales guys. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

So how do you neutralize that? On a call today Trump and unemployment (prior to the pandemic) was brought up. But if one looks at what Trump inherited in that regard, he simply left it alone as it was already declining. He didn't 'do' anything as far as I can tell.

49 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Did you also hate office space- one of the all time great movies ever?  It’s the same kind of humor- demonstrating the humor in daily life of working in a cube farm. 

It has literally no relation whatsoever other than setting.