2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Saw my very first trump sign in the neighborhood about a week ago. Was the second trump sign I’ve seen in all of Austin.

Drove by today and it’s gone. Pissed off wife? Unruly neighborhood kids? Nextdoor net posting asshole? 

Silly rabbit, that's just an ANTIFA reconnaissance team letting their presence be known before the invasion.  SUBURBS!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

You can if Chris Simms gives up 3 interceptions and a fumble

Fuck you.  Tennessee was in the process of giving us a back door into the national championship game.  I was drunker than I've ever been at a game.  And you are asking me to remember all of that.  Negged with extreme prejudice.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I live in midtown Omaha.  White and wealthy neighborhood; tending to be old money and Catholic.  

On my block, there was one Trump sign from an older couple.  I'm assuming they have another house(s), and don't actually live there that much.  They haven''t had the sign out for a few weeks, but I haven't seen them for a few weeks.  Probably around 15 Biden signs.  

In the 3 mile radius, I would say Biden signs outnumber Trump signs 5-1, maybe more.  Almost all of the Trump signs are in yards that also have Sasse (Senate) and Bacon (House) signs.  There are many yards that have a Bacon or Sasse sign, but no Trump sign. I think part of that is that Trump's NE-2 ground game is run through the Neb GOP rather than an independent office.  But Biden has even less of a direct presence, and there are plenty of solo Biden signs. 

And speaking of the sign war, I have to say that the variety of Biden signs are awesome.  Some of them are through the campaigns, but a lot of them are just getting commissioned independently.  We've got "Riding with Biden," "BYE DON 2020", "HARRIS 2020, and I guess Joe too.", "Teachers for Joe" that has an apple on it, "Vote Compassion, not Fear" - that one was from a bunch of Methodists I think, a bunch with sunglasses, "DECENCY 2020".  And then there are the directly anti-Trump signs like "STD - Stop the Donald; Don't let the infection spread," "And One Day, Like a Miracle, He'll be Gone."  I think the variety is great marketing.  But the non-official ones also show the enthusiasm from Biden supporters to go out and seek signs online, rather than just signing up to have one dropped off. 

I like Decency 2020, since it’s:

1. obvious what you’re talking about.

2. doesn’t technically endorse anyone.

3. points 1 and 2 are a really strong case for Biden. 

If you tell a Trump voter that you’re voting for decency, they know it isn’t their guy, and that’s actually really damning.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I live in midtown Omaha.  White and wealthy neighborhood; tending to be old money and Catholic.  

On my block, there was one Trump sign from an older couple.  I'm assuming they have another house(s), and don't actually live there that much.  They haven''t had the sign out for a few weeks, but I haven't seen them for a few weeks.  Probably around 15 Biden signs.  

In the 3 mile radius, I would say Biden signs outnumber Trump signs 5-1, maybe more.  Almost all of the Trump signs are in yards that also have Sasse (Senate) and Bacon (House) signs.  There are many yards that have a Bacon or Sasse sign, but no Trump sign. I think part of that is that Trump's NE-2 ground game is run through the Neb GOP rather than an independent office.  But Biden has even less of a direct presence, and there are plenty of solo Biden signs. 

And speaking of the sign war, I have to say that the variety of Biden signs are awesome.  Some of them are through the campaigns, but a lot of them are just getting commissioned independently.  We've got "Riding with Biden," "BYE DON 2020", "HARRIS 2020, and I guess Joe too.", "Teachers for Joe" that has an apple on it, "Vote Compassion, not Fear" - that one was from a bunch of Methodists I think, a bunch with sunglasses, "DECENCY 2020".  And then there are the directly anti-Trump signs like "STD - Stop the Donald; Don't let the infection spread," "And One Day, Like a Miracle, He'll be Gone."  I think the variety is great marketing.  But the non-official ones also show the enthusiasm from Biden supporters to go out and seek signs online, rather than just signing up to have one dropped off. 

You also have signs like this (I have a few in my neighborhood), which in my opinion are actually even stronger indications that the person will actually vote and vote Biden:

il_794xN.2552488920_llhs.jpg

37 minutes ago, Tuco said:

One of my neighbors-

Make America Sane Again

18 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Fuck you.  Tennessee was in the process of giving us a back door into the national championship game.  I was drunker than I've ever been at a game.  And you are asking me to remember all of that.  Negged with extreme prejudice.

User name checks out.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

NYT released their final Iowa poll and it's in line with Monmouth (Biden +3):

NYT Final Iowa Poll

Something's fucky with Iowa millennials.

Picture1.jpg

39 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

I'm a shy Biden voter. I don't have a yard sign because some of these Trump voters are violent and it's not worth it to me. 

You just moved to Austin from Midland, right? I understand your concern, but I promise you're in safe territory now.

- fmr Big Spring resident

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

You just moved to Austin from Midland, right? I understand your concern, but I promise you're in safe territory now.

Yeah, I get it, but it only takes one crazy and there are a few more than that, even in Austin.

Didn't realize Mel was still alive. 

This will be confusing for many Republicans. Sure they'll try to dismiss it as Hollywood Elite Liberals, but at the same time Blazing Saddles is one of the last few movies they can watch that drops the N-bomb, and you know that will make them conflicted. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Didn't realize Mel was still alive. 

This will be confusing for many Republicans. Sure they'll try to dismiss it as Hollywood Elite Liberals, but at the same time Blazing Saddles is one of the last few movies they can watch that drops the N-bomb, and you know that will make them conflicted. 

damn, Mel looks great for 94 years old

38 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Picture1.jpg

Nah, it's Iowa.  Aside from the Des Moines and Iowa City areas, it's entirely rural, and I'm going to venture a guess that the rural areas worldview is framed mostly, if not entirely, by Fox/Facebook/OAN.

I'm kind of surprised it's actually 39%, to be honest.

Just now, Francisco 2.0 said:

Nah, it's Iowa.  Aside from the Des Moines and Iowa City areas, it's entirely rural, and I'm going to venture a guess that the rural areas worldview is framed mostly, if not entirely, by Fox/Facebook/OAN.

Agree.   Just think "texags.com" and you'll "get" the rural younger Iowa voter. 

26 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I get the geographic component, but what I don't get is what makes Millennials being Trump's strongest age cohort. In fact, it's the only one he leads.

Gen Z, Gen X, Boomers, and Silent Generation ALL support Biden, but not Millennials?!? I find that surprising, fascinating, and counterintuitive.

1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

That was the only time I've been to a game in Texas Stadium.

The point is, Biden may be leading but don't let off the gas and don't look back.  This play exemplifies that for me.  He was running straight towards me and my wife in the OU endzone.

https://kvue.com/embeds/video/269-6eca81ae-d7f0-4d9f-943b-b7cc01ae42fc/iframe?jwsource=cl

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

I get the geographic component, but what I don't get is what makes Millennials being Trump's strongest age cohort. In fact, it's the only one he leads.

Gen Z, Gen X, Boomers, and Silent Generation ALL support Biden, but not Millennials?!? I find that surprising, fascinating, and counterintuitive.

I found it surprising, too, but I think the explanation is that all the stereotypes we have for millenials are of the urban variety. Rural millenials may not have anything in common with them, in the same way that non-white boomer aged Americans aren't really similar to white baby boomers by and large.

• Like 1

[mention=1238]Al_4_ISU[/mention] does Iowa lose a lot of young talent or do you see most of them ending up in Des Moines?

Des Moines gets a lot, but plenty leave too. Des Moines is growing like crazy, and there’s basically a pipeline from graduating ISU to get a job there.

That real Trumpy demographic can largely be explained by the youngest Gen Xers who were hit the hardest by ACA health insurance hikes, are most concerned about their retirement, and typify the “fuck you, I gotta get mine” mindset. A lot of these people are the former Obama voters who switched in 2016, and it was mostly over paying more in health insurance. I bet over half of those age 30-44 favoring Trump are over 40. These are also the youngest of the people who got into Facebook later in life, and seem the most manipulated by it. The most fervent Trumpers I know are exclusively born in the 70’s, and that’s a good chunk of this demo.

That said, I live in a really rural area that has unusually high Biden support (you can research Driftless Area politics pretty quickly) and it does seem that most Biden supporters are older.

This data reflects my anecdotal experience. Iowa has always been weird politically and that doesn’t seem to be changing soon.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

CNN polls not too shabby for Joe, though they have unusually large LV/RV splits.

PA 53-43-2 LV, 50-45-2 RV

FL 50-46-3 LV, 48-46-3 RV

Possible that their LV screen is overweighting DEMs that have already voted early in those states. 

Regardless, Biden strong position in PA, and not enough undecideds/third-party to really matter. 

I don't know where this goes, so I'm posting it here.

AOC and Ilhan Omar did a twitch stream of Among Us, and used it to get people to vote. AOC's stream got 435,000 viewers, which is bananas. More importantly, Omar posted the specs for her gaming rig... it is quite nice (although her GPU lags a bit behind the rest of the build). 

A few of the comments deserve some props:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

CNN polls not too shabby for Joe, though they have unusually large LV/RV splits.

PA 53-43-2 LV, 50-45-2 RV

FL 50-46-3 LV, 48-46-3 RV

Possible that their LV screen is overweighting DEMs that have already voted early in those states. 

Regardless, Biden strong position in PA, and not enough undecideds/third-party to really matter. 

I read that as meaning Democratic turnout exceeds their original likely voter model and that Republican respondents aren't as likely to vote. Usually Republicans have the edge in likely voter models, but now with this much time to vote early it's much easier to model likely voter turnout, because they have already voted.

30 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The Trump movement is built on the alienated, and millennials have the most to be alienated about with regards to the crumbling American dream. Is there something regarding mobility, alienation, and Iowa that might make that cohort extra Trumpy? Those numbers are surprising in comparison to the rest of the state.

2 hours ago, MidTexHorn said:

I'm a shy Biden voter. I don't have a yard sign because some of these Trump voters are violent and it's not worth it to me. 

Yeah, my street only has about 2-3 Biden signs (neighbor had her Biden banner stolen), but lots have other local signs (Zweiner particularly) that indicate Dem lean.  

The only Trumpers on the street are not shy about it:

121531518_3319124151516332_2051713579611

(That's not them out front, just a couple walking by.) 

I live in the wilds of NE DFW and I can tell you rural millennials are just as uneducated, ignorant, racist and Republican as their parents.  Like their parents, they usually stay in their hometown, might go to JC for a couple of semesters and then settle into their redneckness for the duration of their lives.  Hence, they haven't expanded their minds or perspectives anymore than their folks.  I'd guess that most have never been beyond a state that shares a border w/ Texas.  Pretty damned sad and pathetic. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Picture1.jpg

Margin of error goes to shit when you start breaking out subgroups.  23% of the 753 voters were in that group, so it's basically like a poll with just 173 respondents.  That subgroup is an outlier in all of the questions, so I am guessing it was just luck of the draw that they oversampled conservatives in that subgroup.  It'd be nice if they cross-tab age to other factors, like education, race, and party affiliation.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, my street only has about 2-3 Biden signs (neighbor had her Biden banner stolen), but lots have other local signs (Zweiner particularly) that indicate Dem lean.  

The only Trumpers on the street are not shy about it:

121531518_3319124151516332_2051713579611

(That's not them out front, just a couple walking by.) 

lol, we stand for trump and the truth. well, which is it, because it can't be both

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

53 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Des Moines gets a lot, but plenty leave too. Des Moines is growing like crazy, and there’s basically a pipeline from graduating ISU to get a job there.

That real Trumpy demographic can largely be explained by the youngest Gen Xers who were hit the hardest by ACA health insurance hikes, are most concerned about their retirement, and typify the “fuck you, I gotta get mine” mindset. A lot of these people are the former Obama voters who switched in 2016, and it was mostly over paying more in health insurance. I bet over half of those age 30-44 favoring Trump are over 40. These are also the youngest of the people who got into Facebook later in life, and seem the most manipulated by it. The most fervent Trumpers I know are exclusively born in the 70’s, and that’s a good chunk of this demo.

That said, I live in a really rural area that has unusually high Biden support (you can research Driftless Area politics pretty quickly) and it does seem that most Biden supporters are older.

This data reflects my anecdotal experience. Iowa has always been weird politically and that doesn’t seem to be changing soon.

There's some action in Davenport too. Commuters across the river to Moline.