Peloton Worth It?

On 5/28/2020 at 8:08 PM, cabowabo said:

So I’ve done 22 rides in a tad over three weeks since I got the bike. These have been a mix of 30 and 45 minute rides. I have noticed that my knees are making a crackling noise every time I walk up stairs or squat. It sounds like someone is crunching up paper. It doesn’t hurt, but is a little unsettling. I have checked the seat settings and all appears to be they way it should be. Anyone else experienced this?

Nope. It’s been really easy on my joints. Maybe do a warm up ride and take it a bit easier?

So I’ve done 22 rides in a tad over three weeks since I got the bike. These have been a mix of 30 and 45 minute rides. I have noticed that my knees are making a crackling noise every time I walk up stairs or squat. It sounds like someone is crunching up paper. It doesn’t hurt, but is a little unsettling. I have checked the seat settings and all appears to be they way it should be. Anyone else experienced this?

ease up old man.

Anyway, y'all should get rollers (not trainers) and post videos.

Is it still bothering you? I can haz?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have you tried being less old?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 7:34 AM, gmr548 said:

Have you tried being less old?

No, but I have lost 12 pounds in 3 months without dieting.  I ride pretty much every day either 45 minutes or 30 mins with a little weightlifting kicker.  I actually look forward to rides. Can’t say I felt the same about my elliptical machine or recumbent bike sessions before. My teenage son, who had become overweight, has lost even more than me.  It’s certainly expensive, but it has been well worth the money. Finally, as far as the talent, I’m really down with Emma Lovewell. 

• Like 1

I bought a Peloton today. Currently scheduled for Sept 16 delivery.

Wife and I normally run or cycle outdoors several times a week but it’s too damn hot right now. We also had a gym membership which we would use for weight training or for indoor cardio when the Texas weather gets too hot or too cold. The gym is out for us until COVID has run its course, so we need a way to maintain cardio from the comfort of our home. We’ve also done a mixture of Cyclebar, Zyn22, Smart Barre, yoga, Class Pass, etc. and I hope the non-cycling part of the Peloton app will fill that void until further notice.

Pretty excited, just wish delivery could be faster.

26 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I bought a Peloton today. Currently scheduled for Sept 16 delivery.

Wife and I normally run or cycle outdoors several times a week but it’s too damn hot right now. We also had a gym membership which we would use for weight training or for indoor cardio when the Texas weather gets too hot or too cold. The gym is out for us until COVID has run its course, so we need a way to maintain cardio from the comfort of our home. We’ve also done a mixture of Cyclebar, Zyn22, Smart Barre, yoga, Class Pass, etc. and I hope the non-cycling part of the Peloton app will fill that void until further notice.

Pretty excited, just wish delivery could be faster.

Is Peloton delivering or XPO?  Mine was XPO and they initially quoted me a date over a month out.  I called XPO's automated line and changed my delivery date to about 8 days from when I ordered without talking to a single human being.

Is Peloton delivering or XPO?  Mine was XPO and they initially quoted me a date over a month out.  I called XPO's automated line and changed my delivery date to about 8 days from when I ordered without talking to a single human being.

I think it’s Peloton. The email doesn’t say anything about XPO.

Probably overworked your knees, I had crunch sounds from damaging the cartilage under my knee caps.

Ordered my peloton after last Thanksgiving. In past 8 months I've done about 175 rides, mainly 30-45 min, and over 100 strength training workouts along with about 25 runs and a few other Cardio workouts. I love it and find it highly motivating. I had never gone to a spin class in my life and used to hate exercise bikes. I sweat more during my rides than I do running or any other Cardio routine.

It works well if you're motivated to work hard - I usually try to do higher resistance than the range suggested, and try to beat my own and friends' PR's. If you're not a motivated person or if you get one and are content to loaf along at the lower end of recommended resistance/pace then you might not get the results you want.

I frequently see people who have done hundreds of workouts and like to post about it on social media yet they're still unhealthy and out of shape looking. Then you look at their outputs and realize they are burning the same amount of calories in 30 minutes that you do in 5-10 and you understand why. That and the folks who ride a lot but don't modify their eating habits, etc

I wish they'd incorporate some weight lifting workouts with a bench, since I own one, but their weight routines are pretty good.

Back before the pandemic hit I even went to NYC and rode live with Alex for my 50th and got a shout out. Check me out on January 25th club bangers wearing the white Longhorn t-shirt to the left of Alex in the mirror!

I’ve had mine for a year and love it. I’m not all about the brand or into the culty social side of it. It’s great for all types of cycling workouts,  strength training, and yoga. I’ve even used some of the interval training workouts running outside.  I still ride my mountain bike and go on hikes and runs, but the Peloton is great for taking the time suck out of having to get up earlier to drive to a gym and back and all of that. I have special needs children and other things that require much of my time and attention. I’ve been through a lot of different exercise regimens and setups in the last 20 years. Since I’ve started using Peloton as the basis for guided cardio, strength training, and yoga at home, I’m in the best shape at 52 that I’ve been in since my early 30s. Yeah, it’s an expensive piece of equipment, but it’s high quality and durable. The subscription price had remained the same for the past year and has actually added additional services. The workouts are fun and legit. My experience is that it has been well worth the money and it the variety offers keeps me from getting bored or burned out. 

My wife has ridden this damn thing basically every single day since we got ours in early July. She's obsessed with it. Personally, I've never been a person that particularly cares for exercise, and I'm still not, but I agree that so far, so good. The variety and quantity of classes is pretty impressive. All the stats and shit it records gives me some motivation to get my out-of-shape ass on it a few times a week. We haven't dived much into the non-cycling stuff yet. I'm sure my wife will eventually but for some reason I find it a lot more satisfying to get on the bike to workout than stand in front of the TV doing shit.

I try my hardest not to think about how much we paid for it. Also, ours has started making n strange noise. Too early to tell if there's something actually wrong with it. You bet your ass I'll be watching it like a hawk while we're still in the warranty period.

And yeah, since this is Surly, I can confirm that some of the female instructors are very easy on the eyes, as you can imagine. I've started referring to "my girlfriend, Hannah Corbin". Wife is not nearly as amused by that as I am.

549c510ac45e8974e2f278bc89b100b6.jpg

Edited by tokamak

Had mine about a year and a half now. Bike seems to be in good condition. The seat squeaks a bit more than when I first got it, but that’s more of an annoyance then anything wrong. 

What instructors do y’all typically ride to? Most of my rides are with Emma Lovewell. If I want something more challenging than it’s Kendall Toole and Ally Love. Easy classes are covered by Dennis Morton and Hanah. 

Probably taken the most rides with Alex. Matt is a beast. Ben Aldis house rides are some of my favorites on the platform. Emma, Dennis and Corbin are good as well. Ally Love is probably the only instructor I really avoid.

Just hit #700. Not sure I'd stay sane without being able to ride the bike on demand. Long late night rides when the family is asleep are awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

15% price cut on current bike in advance of new version roll out.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/tech/peloton-new-products/index.html

Beginning Wednesday, its core bike will cost $1,895 — a $350 reduction — with the monthly financing rate dropping $9 to $49 a month. With a slightly more attractive price point, Peloton (PTON) wants to maintain its blockbuster year and enlist new members even as gyms across the United States reopen.
Peloton is also moving upscale with a new model, called the Bike+. For $2,495, the new bike has a larger screen to stream its classes, enhanced speakers and a new feature that automatically changes the resistance depending on the teacher's instructors. The screen can also be titled so customers can do complete workouts on the floor for its new total workout classes.
A new, full-body workout class that includes the bike and weights launches September 15. Existing members can trade in their working bikes for a $700 credit to use on the Bike+.

Our bike was delivered 2 months ago at the old price point. I'm sure my rebate check is in the mail.

I don't know if the Bike+ is going to be worth it. When our bike first arrived, I was disappointed that it couldn't adjust resistance automatically because I thought that was part of the deal. But now having ridden it a bunch, I don't know if the feature would be that useful. Lots of times you want to go harder than the teacher suggests, or sometimes a little easier if they're kicking your ass. It is a bit of a pain to reach down and fiddle with the adjustment, but I think you get the best experience being able to adjust it on the fly.

Screen that swivels might be useful for some people, but they have apps for Roku, Apple TV, etc so we have no need to do any workouts near the bike.

Hmm I have one on order now, I guess I need to reach out to see if I can get that $350 credit or maybe upgrade to the new bike. 

I also have one pending for delivery and they emailed me to let me know the $350 credit will be automatically applied. I’m fine with the current version at a lower price.

18 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I also have one pending for delivery and they emailed me to let me know the $350 credit will be automatically applied. I’m fine with the current version at a lower price.

I saw on reddit people getting that email but I did not, I wonder since mine is a Oct delivery date that it is far enough out they did not auto refund. Customer support said I need to wait until tomorrow and then they will contact me with options. 

The ability to rotate the screen is not important to me, and if it is, you can already buy an aftermarket part for $50 that allows for that.  Better speakers is a non-issue also because I use earbuds and I have no desire to blast workout audio through my house while while exercising my fat ass.  You can thank Echelon for this price drop.  Competition is good.  

I have my road bike on a trainer in my basement as the fires in Colorado have made going outside horrible. Added a cadence sensor and Ipad mount. I use the app and can say the workouts are awesome, even if they don't have the competition aspect of it and it only cost ~$10/month although it is not the same as riding on a spin bike.

Just PR'd with Olivia (looks-wise my fave) live this morning and got a shout out for ride #200 (check the 32:50 mark). Pretty intense ride, like hers usually are.

Oh and my 200 rides are all legit for the most part, none of those nonsense warm-ups or cool downs to inflate my numbers (when I hear a "Happy 5,250 DoucheRider!" shout out I rage a little bit inside).

Why don't we have a hashtag for folks on this board? Just created #SurlyHorns if any of you degenerates want to ride along.

On 9/8/2020 at 3:55 PM, Angry Gorilla said:

Agree to both of these.  Some of Kendall's rides are pretty hard, in particular the heavy metal rides.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, LonghornJones said:

Having not read the first page, are the Peloton clip-in shoes necessary for my wife and I?

If so, will normal clip-in shoes suffice to avoid the Peloton price?

Googling around, it appears that Peloton uses the Look Delta "cleat" or clip.  Shimano SPD is more standard.

So yeah you can use other shoes, but not just any shoes.

You could change the pedals.

That's kind of absurd to me that you need to clip in on a stationary bike.  I guess clips help you with maximum wattage output, which is measured, but still, fuck that.

• Hook 'Em 1

I rode it for the first month or so in just regular old tennis shoes. I didn't mind that except when standing up, which felt pretty unstable. Finally got some cleats and it's better but I'd disagree that you absolutely "need" to have them.

I bought some Shimanos but after you add the cleats, the Peloton shoes are pretty fairly priced. I might have saved like $15-$20, max. If you know someone that already has a Peloton, they can get you a code that gives you $100 off on accessories when you buy the bike, so you can use that to cover most of the cost of shoes.

Clip ons are key. I got the deal last year where they threw in the shoes, weights and HR monitor (Thanksgiving weekend) so I kept the stock pedals. Looked into switching to SPD pedals prior to purchase, as shoes with those clips are more abundant, but ended up getting my wife a pair of shoes and LOOK Delta clips for her pair, which she has since used all of one time.

15 minutes ago, harold said:

You really care about how people use their exercise bikes a lot.

I might actually get one.  Not sure I would clip in, though.  That seems absurd to me.  It's marginally absurd on a road bike.  I get that people do it for speed to race or not to squander energy on a long ride, but it seems goofy in your own house.

Do you need to wear a helmet?  A bib with a chamois too? Maybe some chamois butter?  Eat gels?

The inefficiency induced by wearing non-cycling shoes might seem to add more to the work out, the expending of energy and calories, than good pedaling form and lifting your foot through 75 degrees of rotation.

Edited by TwiceHorn

26 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Alignment? 

Just keeping feet/knee/hips in line throughout the stroke - I found that much easier with clipped shoes than without.

I do wish they didn't go with Delta cleats as they are tougher to find but just about every bike shop I checked out had at least a pair or two to try. Definitely something to try on in-person unless you've got voucher cash to burn online. On that note if anyone wants a 100$ code for shit on-purchase...  F5V2K7

I might actually get one.  Not sure I would clip in, though.  That seems absurd to me.  It's marginally absurd on a road bike.  I get that people do it for speed to race or not to squander energy on a long ride, but it seems goofy in your own house.
Do you need to wear a helmet?  A bib with a chamois too? Maybe some chamois butter?  Eat gels?
The inefficiency induced by wearing non-cycling shoes might seem to add more to the work out, the expending of energy and calories, than good pedaling form and lifting your foot through 75 degrees of rotation.
Stupid take digs heels in for stupider take

I do not have a road bike nor am I a cyclist but clipping in for spin class vastly improves the experience. 

Like someone said above—it allows you to not only push down on the pedals but to pull up as well.  It also makes it much, much easier to be stable out of the saddle.

It’s about using the best tool for the application. 

Edited by harold