Peloton Worth It?

On 1/25/2021 at 2:20 PM, Homercles said:

For those wanting to be told where your pace and output need to be, try the PowerZone stuff.  Take the FTP test and the bike will give you custom zones on output based on how you manage the FTP 20m ride (which you give your all on for the short test).  Afterwards there will be a little bar at the bottom and when you take a PZ ride the instructor will tell you what zone you’re aiming for.  You also retest after awhile to update your zones.  

Note: I think it’s intrinsic to the regular bike subscription, we have the leaderboard version and I also signed up at the powerzonepack website (where you link your Peloton account) because I am doing a challenge along with my wife...but I don’t think that part is required to get the powerzone bar at the bottom.  

I did my FTP test for the first time the other day and wanted to die.  It's cool having my zones at the bottom of the screen now.

We've had our Peloton for just over 2 years now and I will say it has had a massive impact on my life, especially since I'm working from home.  Did over 10k minutes last year and I feel weird if I don't at least get in a ride 5-6 times a week.  I guess I've joined the cult pretty hard.  I love it though.  Best shape I've been in since high school.

Anyone look into Ergatta or HydroRow? Rowing machines with internet connectivity and online classes, etc.

Ergatta:

Ergatta Connected Rower review 2020

HydroRow:

HYDROW: Row in real time - Inceptive Mind

I got a dumb Water Rower rowing machine (wood, similar to the Ergatta) because I didn't think the screen and connectivity was worth another $1000. But if you're buying a Peloton bike for $1900 (looks like the price has gone down) since I last looked, why not get a rowing machine where you can almost get a complete body work out instead of just legs?

I've had my setup for ~1 month and love it.  Has been a perfect way to supplement my workouts with some additional cardio.  Random instructor thoughts:

1. Jess King for the tits
  2. Hannah Corbin or Tunde Oyeneyin if I want an easier ride
  3. Olivia Amato HIIT when its time to really work
  4. Kendall Toole for Metallica Ride

Haven't tried the rest of the spin instructors yet.  

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 2:12 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I did my FTP test for the first time the other day and wanted to die.  It's cool having my zones at the bottom of the screen now.

We've had our Peloton for just over 2 years now and I will say it has had a massive impact on my life, especially since I'm working from home.  Did over 10k minutes last year and I feel weird if I don't at least get in a ride 5-6 times a week.  I guess I've joined the cult pretty hard.  I love it though.  Best shape I've been in since high school.

5-6 a week?  Today on my challenges 60m ride Wilper gave a shoutout to ride #5,000...even if they got it 9 years ago when it came out that’s 1.5 rides a DAY...every day.  My guess is there’s tons of yoga and other shit in there, I’m lucky to hit 3 a week between life, work, kids, etc (trying to improve that recently). Who and how long do you typically ride ‘with’?  

What kills me is when I’m working my ass off at zone 5 for a stretch and Wilpers tells me his output at the same zone is almost 2x mine while jabbering his ass off.  I prefer (and work harder) on the Dennis Morton rides anyways as he suits my style of pacing to the bpm of the song, both by drawing inspiration from the beat and that’s how I did spin back in the RPM days at Golds (before my wife popped out #2 and life got more complex). 

Once this challenge is done I think I’m going to try all of Dennis stuff...I love tits but they won’t make me work harder...especially hill climbs, as I can burn that thing to the ground with my FTP meter pegged while standing + really maxes out my HR too. 

Edited by Homercles

56 minutes ago, Homercles said:

5-6 a week?  Today on my challenges 60m ride Wilper gave a shoutout to ride #5,000...even if they got it 9 years ago when it came out that’s 1.5 rides a DAY...every day.  My guess is there’s tons of yoga and other shit in there, I’m lucky to hit 3 a week between life, work, kids, etc (trying to improve that recently). Who and how long do you typically ride ‘with’?  

What kills me is when I’m working my ass off at zone 5 for a stretch and Wilpers tells me his output at the same zone is almost 2x mine while jabbering his ass off.  I prefer (and work harder) on the Dennis Morton rides anyways as he suits my style of pacing to the bpm of the song, both by drawing inspiration from the beat and that’s how I did spin back in the RPM days at Golds (before my wife popped out #2 and life got more complex). 

Once this challenge is done I think I’m going to try all of Dennis stuff...I love tits but they won’t make me work harder...especially hill climbs, as I can burn that thing to the ground with my FTP meter pegged while standing + really maxes out my HR too. 

I ONLY ride with Dennis. I like his style and he has a lot of knowledge about neuro-muscular stuff and I also like how he focuses on the mental aspect as well. I typically do a 30 min ride at lunch (alternating days with intervals and arms) followed by a 5 min cool down ride and a 5 min stretch. I try to get in a 10 min core most days also. I use Emma for that. 

Working from home and no kids helps me stay on track.  

I also am a big fan of the sleep meditations. Oh and I try to get a morning stretch in too. 

On 2/26/2021 at 5:40 PM, Superhero said:

Anyone look into Ergatta or HydroRow? Rowing machines with internet connectivity and online classes, etc.

Ergatta:

Ergatta Connected Rower review 2020

HydroRow:

HYDROW: Row in real time - Inceptive Mind

I got a dumb Water Rower rowing machine (wood, similar to the Ergatta) because I didn't think the screen and connectivity was worth another $1000. But if you're buying a Peloton bike for $1900 (looks like the price has gone down) since I last looked, why not get a rowing machine where you can almost get a complete body work out instead of just legs?

The thing that most people, myself included, don’t realize is peloton is not just riding. There are a TON of different workout options. Strength, stretching, yoga, meditation, running, etc. 

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I ONLY ride with Dennis. I like his style and he has a lot of knowledge about neuro-muscular stuff and I also like how he focuses on the mental aspect as well. I typically do a 30 min ride at lunch (alternating days with intervals and arms) followed by a 5 min cool down ride and a 5 min stretch. I try to get in a 10 min core most days also. I use Emma for that. 

Working from home and no kids helps me stay on track.  

I also am a big fan of the sleep meditations. Oh and I try to get a morning stretch in too. 

Gotcha, he also seems...calmer?  From 2012-2016 I did spin twice a week on Monday evenings and early Tuesday morning because I really liked the instructor as he didn’t talk all the time, didn’t feel the need to constantly yell motivational epithets and recognized people have their own reasons for working out that day.  

Been looking for someone like that on Peloton, unfortunately the challenge my wife got me to join is centered on Matt who isn’t bad but doesn’t ride with the beat and jabbers a lot.  My wife had to drop because of an injury and I feel obligated to complete it...but just looked up this (penultimate) week and there’s a damn 90 minute ride with Matt on there.  That’s almost 2 hours of commitment when you account for getting geared up and cool down, plus the 75 minute one was rough enough...wife never had to do 75/90m in per prior challenges.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Gotcha, he also seems...calmer?  From 2012-2016 I did spin twice a week on Monday evenings and early Tuesday morning because I really liked the instructor as he didn’t talk all the time, didn’t feel the need to constantly yell motivational epithets and recognized people have their own reasons for working out that day.  

Been looking for someone like that on Peloton, unfortunately the challenge my wife got me to join is centered on Matt who isn’t bad but doesn’t ride with the beat and jabbers a lot.  My wife had to drop because of an injury and I feel obligated to complete it...but just looked up this (penultimate) week and there’s a damn 90 minute ride with Matt on there.  That’s almost 2 hours of commitment when you account for getting geared up and cool down, plus the 75 minute one was rough enough...wife never had to do 75/90m in per prior challenges.  

Yeah, I've never done anything longer than 45 min.  Don't need anything more than that.

16 hours ago, Bodhi said:

I've had my setup for ~1 month and love it.  Has been a perfect way to supplement my workouts with some additional cardio.  Random instructor thoughts:

1.  If she's ever single, it won't be for you.  You wear cologne, she likes perfume.

4.  All of her classic rock rides are pretty hard.  She's in her late 20's but has a surprising knowledge of pop culture from the 70's and 80's.  She does various rides with movie themes, 70s'/80's music, etc.  Fairly knowledgeable.  

17 hours ago, Bodhi said:

Jess King has the blandest, most cliché filled rides of any instructor. If you want boobs and boring, I'd suggest Leanne Hainsby. She's also English, so that's fun. 

My top 4 in order : 1) Kendall Toole 2) Emma Lovewell 3) Olivia Amato 4) Hannah Corbin. I've done almost every one of Toole's Interval and Arms rides. I really like her boxing elements. Peloton needs to add more classes with weights. I'm having to dig 2 years into the archive for Interval and Arms rides. 

Amato's core work is pretty tough. Rebecca Kennedy is also pretty tough. Lovewell's core work tends to be more laid back. 

Ally Love is probably the most famous instructor. She definitely has good energy, but she gets very preachy at the end of rides. I'll do her classes in a pinch. 

Peloton has definitely helped me get back on track. I finished with 49 complete workouts in February. I feel like a lazy POS if I don't do at least 20 minutes every day. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Mine was just delivered and setup. I think I set up the seat and everything correctly. What next? The beginner class?

Sounds like you are new to spinning. If so, yes. But it will not take long to get really into it. Most of the classes are not insane.

13 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

1.  If she's ever single, it won't be for you.  You wear cologne, she likes perfume. 

That fact doesn't take away from my viewing pleasure of her at all. 

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Jess King has the blandest, most cliché filled rides of any instructor. If you want boobs and boring, I'd suggest Leanne Hainsby. She's also English, so that's fun. 

+rep for suggesting a new rack to stare at while I sweat and curse.

We had a Bike + delivered yesterday.  Had heard about lots of recent quality control issues and looks like we got hit.  Set up went fine then 2 hours later went to turn it on and no power.   Tech Support thinks the power cord is bad so sending a new one.  Hopefully that's all it is but pretty frustrating.

For easy rides I typically complete Hannah Corbin and Jeng Sherman's classes. Usually in the morning. 

Most of my classes are led by Emma and Kendall. And When I'm motivated and want a harder class... definitely Kendall's rock or Ally's HIIT rides.

Dennis, Christine, Leanne, and Alex for a change of pace. 

Jess is almost too distracting lol... and I find her vibe/personality so bland. Use to find Leanne's voice a bit grating, but starting to get over that on account she's super hot. 

On 3/1/2021 at 4:10 PM, LW Goatman said:

Mine was just delivered and setup. I think I set up the seat and everything correctly. What next? The beginner class?

Look up the FTP Test and try that, it’s only 20 minutes...(don’t do that).  

If you go to classes you can filter by length, there are tons of intro/beginner rides in 10 or 20 minute segments.  Use a few of those to tweak your seat setup the way you like it, get used to clipping in/out, etc.  Also a good way to see what instructors you like.  

Ive also done a few open rides or whatever it’s called, playing music on my phone.  

Once you’re settled in I really like the PowerZone stuff under Dennis Morton.  To take advantage and know your zones, you should do the 20 minute FTP test where you go all out.  After that you’ll have a bar at the bottom of the screen that shows you what zone you’re in, and I found that really useful.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

Look up the FTP Test and try that, it’s only 20 minutes...(don’t do that).  

If you go to classes you can filter by length, there are tons of intro/beginner rides in 10 or 20 minute segments.  Use a few of those to tweak your seat setup the way you like it, get used to clipping in/out, etc.  Also a good way to see what instructors you like.  

Ive also done a few open rides or whatever it’s called, playing music on my phone.  

Once you’re settled in I really like the PowerZone stuff under Dennis Morton.  To take advantage and know your zones, you should do the 20 minute FTP test where you go all out.  After that you’ll have a bar at the bottom of the screen that shows you what zone you’re in, and I found that really useful.  

The at sounds hard.

easy = Cody, the British lady

medium = Jess King, Lovewell, Toole

hard = Olivia Omato, Alex T

Jess King experience rides were super fun and flew by. I hope she brings those back.

I tried Jess King a couple times for two giant reasons but found her kind of annoying.

I really dig on Emma Lovewell's mid-30s hot mom vibe. I can picture her turning heads in yoga pants at the playground. You degenerates with young kids know what I'm talking about.

Christine D ‘Ercole is the token disgusting instructor. I can’t even take a ride with her she’s so hard to look at. I also hate the instructors who play amateur psychologists and talk too damn much.  Matt Wilpers and Sam Yo are pretty good to ride to. 

On the issue of cleats/clips, check this out. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/adidas-releases-a-clipless-version-of-the-classic-samba-sneaker-for-cycling-hypebeasts.html?utm_source=Pinkbike&utm_campaign=ad7b42eaee-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_04_09_10_04_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6949a82289-ad7b42eaee-109952021

Also, a lower cost set of toe-clip pedals would avoid the need for expensive, uncomfortable, dorky looking and otherwise useless shoes. https://www.scadatw.com/pedals/indoor-cycling/  You'll waste a little energy compressing the sole of running shoes or the like, but since you aren't going anywhere, wgaf?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had my bike since March 2020 (got it just before shutdown), had one in my company gym since January 2020. Just about 400 rides.

Hardest instructor definitely Kendall Tool

Robin drives me nuts with her talk, she usually has decent music and classes so I turn down instructor and up the music

Dennis Morton is good but does not put many rides out

No instructor is really bad, it just depends how hard I want to work on a given day. I usually look for a decent ride with good music

Down almost 30 lbs since I started.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The upper body classes with the ladies are much more chill. Kind of what I need right now. Rebecca Kennedy is pretty easy on the eyes and her classes are about my speed. 

Gagreed on Rebecca.

And Olivia has gone downhill for some reason. She looks way better in her old videos.

Kendall Toole FTW.

A buddy hooked me up with a peloton login for the app on iPhone (you can create up to 5 accounts under the membership FYI)...found me a legit old school spin bike for $200 (perfect working condition), bought a $40 cadence sensor, and I’ve lost 10 lbs. in about 2 months. Never thought I would speak highly of spinning.

e09d7fcf58153c0c6705007f99b4d3ad.png

*Crazy that I found this bike for $200. eBay has it for crazy money. Point is, get a cheap spin bike and the peloton app and it’s worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Does Peloton give you another shirt if you break 100 strength workouts? I’m getting pretty darned close. 

I had to go to intermediate on yoga. Ran out of beginner classes. I’d recommend Aditi as she tends to be easier than Anna Greenberg. That said she still pulls at least two moves per class I can only dream of executing. 

On 5/5/2021 at 10:26 PM, DonkeyCigars said:

Still waiting on my back ordered Bike+. Wonder if the treadmill news and recall is affecting their business, seems to be like it's overblown, but who knows.

How long have you been waiting? I’ve been tempted to buy one so curious of the wait, and I realize the sooner I buy, the sooner I will receive it.

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How long have you been waiting? I’ve been tempted to buy one so curious of the wait, and I realize the sooner I buy, the sooner I will receive it.

Got it in; total wait time was 7 weeks.

edit to add: have only ridden it once ugh 

Edited by DonkeyCigars

• 4 weeks later...

Wow this thread took off. I only ride with Dennis. I like his approach with the mental aspect of it all. 

I use Emma for core and Andy Speer for strength. The girls in general are fucking mean. Not for me. 

I can honestly say peloton changed my life though. Best shape I’ve been in since high school baseball. Haven’t smoked in 7 months. Been riding at least 5 times a week for almost 90 weeks. Love it. 

• Like 1

Current plan: 

3 intermediate 45 minute yoga classes with a chaser of 10 minute chest classes. 

2 interval arms rides, 45 minutes with a chaser of 10 minute core classes.

When I’m hungover on the weekends, shut the blinds, and hate my way through a 45 interval arm ride. 

Jumping in the pool immediately after every workout is strongly recommended. 

I’m currently on a 9 day streak, but if I miss a day I’ll make it up. So essentially seven 45 minute workouts a week: 

Edited by billfromlaketravis