Peloton Worth It?

My experience is that the Peloton is not worth it. My wife liked it at first, but it quickly became a laundry basket. Luckily I was able to return it on day 30 of the 30 day free trial period and wasn't charged for anyti8ng

I would have give you three fidy for it.

My wife absolutely loves the bike and I enjoy riding it, too. But my honest opinion is that the monthly subscription is way too expensive. Apple Fitness is $10/mo. My wife used to do Beachbody's app and I think it was like $100/year. But Peloton wants $40/mo from me forever, after I already paid $2200 for the bike? Fuck that shit. I'd be happy at $10/mo. Something like $20/mo would be acceptable. $40/mo is highway robbery.

8 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

To me, something like the Peloton would be great for fine turning your training. 

If you just took your bike out for a ride, say, for at least 90 minutes, would you be able to easily match what you accomplish on the Peloton? 

As a person who bikes (mountain) for fitness, this is harder to accomplish than it appears at an effective rate of more than 3x a week.  The appeal of Peloton is that you can do it any time, with minimal preparation, in any weather.  You can do that with any indoor bike I suppose, but then there's the boredom factor.

Even if you are an all-weather road rider. you have to force yourself to do hill work or intervals or some combination, or just ride longer and longer and longer.  Let alone all the assholes on the road, and potholes, and shit like that.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, tokamak said:

My wife absolutely loves the bike and I enjoy riding it, too. But my honest opinion is that the monthly subscription is way too expensive. Apple Fitness is $10/mo. My wife used to do Beachbody's app and I think it was like $100/year. But Peloton wants $40/mo from me forever, after I already paid $2200 for the bike? Fuck that shit. I'd be happy at $10/mo. Something like $20/mo would be acceptable. $40/mo is highway robbery.

My work reimburses the monthly subscription, so profit?  Or at least break even I guess. 

18 hours ago, tokamak said:

The monthly fee has held me back. I can afford 40/mo but I choose to limit services that have relatively high monthly subscription fees. 

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The monthly fee has held me back. I can afford 40/mo but I choose to limit services that have relatively high monthly subscription fees. 

I went this route and am very happy with the results. 

http://www.christycee.com/2020/10/echelon-connect-sport-exercise-bike-walmart-review/

$500 bike

$14/month for Peleton app. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 6:54 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

I went this route and am very happy with the results. 

http://www.christycee.com/2020/10/echelon-connect-sport-exercise-bike-walmart-review/

$500 bike

$14/month for Peleton app. 

Pretty much this.  Got a bike that had digital resistance controls, a cadence monitor, and a heart rate monitor.  The first one is the only reason I spent $799 on a bike.  I can follow along on 90% of the workouts and pay $14 or less a month.  Good app at that price.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
How do you like? I just clicked the buy button.
I'm a month in to using it and haven't missed a day. I love it. Classes are great and there are some really unique and creative ways to do traditional movements. The eccentric and chains modes are awesome. I'm definitely glad I went this route
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Spur08 said:

I'm a month in to using it and haven't missed a day. I love it. Classes are great and there are some really unique and creative ways to do traditional movements. The eccentric and chains modes are awesome. I'm definitely glad I went this route

Great to hear!! Thanks. I can't wait for it to get here.

If it keeps my wife from private pilates instruction, it will pay for itself in a year.

What I need is for it to help motivate me to work out more often. Going to a gym used to be great but my daily routine was so much different back then.

Great to hear!! Thanks. I can't wait for it to get here.
If it keeps my wife from private pilates instruction, it will pay for itself in a year.
What I need is for it to help motivate me to work out more often. Going to a gym used to be great but my daily routine was so much different back then.
Go ahead and download the app to start favorite-ing programs. If you have fb, join the official tonal group. There's a lot of weird stuff on it but some really helpful tips and tricks on it too.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Spur08 said:

Go ahead and download the app to start favorite-ing programs. If you have fb, join the official tonal group. There's a lot of weird stuff on it but some really helpful tips and tricks on it too.

fffffuck...turns out the ceiling in our finished basement is a couple inches too short to meet their specs and I don't think there's anyplace else I'd really be able to or want to put it. Back to the drawing board.

fffffuck...turns out the ceiling in our finished basement is a couple inches too short to meet their specs and I don't think there's anyplace else I'd really be able to or want to put it. Back to the drawing board.
Mine is in the garage, if that helps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had the app for nearly a year and just today found the filter option during rides that allows you to make the music more prominent and the instructor's voice far less so 🤬.  Man that is a game changer I wish I would have bothered to look for previously.  It finally allows me to listen to some solid music without someone trying to be my life coach talking over it with motivational nonsense for 45 mins.  

Well, I pulled the trigger.

I like walking, but with younger kids, I can't always get out of the house.  And I loathe a treadmill for walking.  And we have had 2 of them since we got married (humblebrag: wife runs half and full marathons, and she destroyed the first treadmill in 5 years or so, and I suspect her current Nordictrak isn't long for this world).

And I've put on too much weight, quite frankly. 

So!  Ordered today, delivery scheduled for Wednesday 12th.  

3 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Well, I pulled the trigger.

I like walking, but with younger kids, I can't always get out of the house.  And I loathe a treadmill for walking.  And we have had 2 of them since we got married (humblebrag: wife runs half and full marathons, and she destroyed the first treadmill in 5 years or so, and I suspect her current Nordictrak isn't long for this world).

And I've put on too much weight, quite frankly. 

So!  Ordered today, delivery scheduled for Wednesday 12th.  

Hell yeah - best advice I would give is to ride consistently for the first few weeks at least. Doesn't matter if it's an all-out effort or you're just on it for the credit - just get on the damn bike. Make it a habit and before you know it you'll look forward to the release.  

Edited by vicerous
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my first class.  My God.

Bike was delivered last night around 8, so I didn't adjust it.  Came home from work, adjusted seat, went to the bars...and nothing.  It took a herculean effort to get the bars to move any, even with the adjustment knob out.  I contacted support and they conceded it should be easy to adjust bars, so they are sending a replacement bike next week.

So, I got off phone, figured I might as well pick a class, filtered by beginner, picked one that was 20 minutes...and it just fucking whipped my ass.  Alright!  8700 out of 62000 that have taken the class, so I've got that going for me.  I've not sweat that much, aside from doing yard work in August, in years.  My legs are shot.  

Here's to hoping they feel up to having a class tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YChang said:

Congrats! Now you’re one of us! Lol

On a serious note, don’t kill yourself with nothing but HIIT and climb rides only your first 2 weeks.

I've done two other workouts since I wrote that; I figured I had better get in the saddle and just spin, even at a low cadence and resistance just to get my legs used to it.  I did 2 "just ride" workouts at a couple of miles each @ 40-50 rpm.  Those didn't tire me out, but the HIIT stuff, even at beginner level, are going to.  

Do they have sub-beginner level classes?  Honest question here.  For a beginner level class (Ally Love was the instructor), that was damned hard.  Not enough to scare me away, but shit, just the warmup blasted me.

13 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I've done two other workouts since I wrote that; I figured I had better get in the saddle and just spin, even at a low cadence and resistance just to get my legs used to it.  I did 2 "just ride" workouts at a couple of miles each @ 40-50 rpm.  Those didn't tire me out, but the HIIT stuff, even at beginner level, are going to.  

Do they have sub-beginner level classes?  Honest question here.  For a beginner level class (Ally Love was the instructor), that was damned hard.  Not enough to scare me away, but shit, just the warmup blasted me.

Ally is one of the harder instructors. In my opinion try in levels of difficulty... Try Hannah Corbin or Dennis Morton's beginner classes... then when you feel pretty good there... then try Emma Lovewell's class. Ally and Kendal Toole are some of the more intense instructors with their rides. 

• Hook 'Em 1

#bothtacos is the hashtag. jk.

I ended up getting a bike+ (I had a bootleg version, see a few posts above).

I do a mix. On days when I don’t wanna do crap, I do just rides and browse my phone etc…but I’m still getting a good sweat in….I do pretty high resistance on just rides though, like 50-60….70-80 cadence.

Kendall and Camila FTW

On 1/14/2022 at 9:20 AM, Francisco 2.0 said:

The Power Zone classes are a pretty good place to start if you don't mind a semi-regimented program. You'll set your levels 1-7 based on your feel/ability and the classes all work off that - for example a 3 out of 7 would be a sustainable but slightly uncomfortable pace. Once you get a baseline all the classes work off those levels and gradually you'll start pushing the numbers up. Matt, Ben, Olivia & Denis run the program - it's something I wish was around when I started. 

I use Zwift in my garage on my smart trainer.

3 fans pointed at me (wahoo one varies speed based on heart rate)

Open the garage door

Rubber mats to deal with sweat

Workout AM and PM

Ice water to pour over head to help with core temp

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Jeffrey said:

I use Zwift in my garage on my smart trainer.

3 fans pointed at me (wahoo one varies speed based on heart rate)

Open the garage door

Rubber mats to deal with sweat

Workout AM and PM

Ice water to pour over head to help with core temp

I've been looking at both a smart trainer and a peloton.  While the peloton is obviously more expensive I am intrigued by the non-cycling workouts available.

When looking at smart trainers, I've been eyeballing the Wahoo Kickr and going the Zwift route since biking is my primary hobby.

What smart trainer do you have and how do you like Zwift?

I’ll be in an Airbnb for the better part of March. Does anybody have suggestions for 45 minute Peloton body weight only exercises I can do in a small living room? I figure I’ll get sick of doing yoga everyday. 

Nothing comes to mind. But often, I like to preview the workout just to make sure the moves works in the space you described .

I've been looking at both a smart trainer and a peloton.  While the peloton is obviously more expensive I am intrigued by the non-cycling workouts available.
When looking at smart trainers, I've been eyeballing the Wahoo Kickr and going the Zwift route since biking is my primary hobby.
What smart trainer do you have and how do you like Zwift?
I have the cheapest kickr, the Snap. Works great. I think the direct drive trainers are a better option if they fit your budget.

Personally love zwift, road cycling is my jam but no time these days with kiddos.

I get a fantastic workout in an hour and it's often a group ride or race. Just more my style than spin classes.

I have it running on my laptop and casting to a flat screen TV. It's really immersive.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Broke down and ordered the Bike+ last night. Scheduled to be delivered on 2/4.

Congrats!  

Got mine on the 12th, and I have 17 workouts so far.  I'm really enjoying this.

However; we are on our second bike + in 9 days.  The first bike; the handlebars would not raise or lower without difficulty.  Peloton support said that was not normal, and scheduled a full bike replacement.  It was delivered on Wednesday the 19th. Second bike's bars raise and lower normally, but when I got onboard the first time, I heard a noise when I peddled.  I traced this noise to the printed label on the drive belt as it passed through the idler pulley on the front of the bike.  Once the label passed, the bike was noiseless.  First bike had the same belt, and it made no noise at all when peddling.

I reached out to peloton support again, with a video showing the sound as the belt/label passed through this pully.  They determined it was the bottom bracket that needed servicing, so they are dispatching someone to do this.  I don't see the correlation between the bottom bracket and a label on the belt (and others have complained about the label making a noise on their bikes) but it's not costing me anything, and I'll be here when the servicing occurs and take a ride afterwards with the tech here.

It seems trivial to call support on this noise, but it can be heard over the speakers on the tablet, felt in the pedals, etc.  Otherwise, bike #2 is perfect. 

You should check out the peloton subreddit. It's not uncommon for a new bike to be delivered with something amiss, so don't just accept it as is if something isn't quite right.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Congrats!  

Got mine on the 12th, and I have 17 workouts so far.  I'm really enjoying this.

However; we are on our second bike + in 9 days.  The first bike; the handlebars would not raise or lower without difficulty.  Peloton support said that was not normal, and scheduled a full bike replacement.  It was delivered on Wednesday the 19th. Second bike's bars raise and lower normally, but when I got onboard the first time, I heard a noise when I peddled.  I traced this noise to the printed label on the drive belt as it passed through the idler pulley on the front of the bike.  Once the label passed, the bike was noiseless.  First bike had the same belt, and it made no noise at all when peddling.

I reached out to peloton support again, with a video showing the sound as the belt/label passed through this pully.  They determined it was the bottom bracket that needed servicing, so they are dispatching someone to do this.  I don't see the correlation between the bottom bracket and a label on the belt (and others have complained about the label making a noise on their bikes) but it's not costing me anything, and I'll be here when the servicing occurs and take a ride afterwards with the tech here.

It seems trivial to call support on this noise, but it can be heard over the speakers on the tablet, felt in the pedals, etc.  Otherwise, bike #2 is perfect. 

You should check out the peloton subreddit. It's not uncommon for a new bike to be delivered with something amiss, so don't just accept it as is if something isn't quite right.

Thanks. I have been browsing that forum too. I’ll probably make a checklist to run down once it’s setup.

• 3 weeks later...

Im interested in buying the peloton but the financial status of the company has given me pause. I don’t think the company is disappearing but I hate to buy into a bike/subscription not knowing the future.

im reading the ceo is being fired today along with 2,000 employees. I was shocked they had 10k employees.

my guess is that peloton will eventually be sold to Amazon or Apple. Which should tie in the monthly subscription to Prime or an Apple bundle.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Im interested in buying the peloton but the financial status of the company has given me pause. I don’t think the company is disappearing but I hate to buy into a bike/subscription not knowing the future.

im reading the ceo is being fired today along with 2,000 employees. I was shocked they had 10k employees.

my guess is that peloton will eventually be sold to Amazon or Apple. Which should tie in the monthly subscription to Prime or an Apple bundle.

I saw that too and was also surprised. My exact thought was "how tf do they have 2,800 employees to layoff in the first place??". Anyway, like you said, seems like what's going to happen is someone with deep pockets will buy them. I read Amazon or Nike, doesn't seem like Apple is too interested. Not hard to see why their growth has slowed so much, but every corporation on Earth jacks off to subscription business models these days and there's also all the sweet, sweet user data they collect that's very valuable.

Here's my honest opinion after owning one for a year and a half: the cost isn't worth it. Don't get me wrong, it's a good device and a good service. My wife loves it and it's gone a long way toward keeping her sane during the pandemic. We did have some minor mechanical issues with our bike early on (noisy bearing), but the service experience was good. My problem is I just think $40/mo is too much for what you get. That's a gym membership. That's 3X what I pay Netflix. If the bike itself was pretty inexpensive, I could see $40/mo. Or if the service was, say, $15/mo I wouldn't complain. If we had it to do over again, I'd push my wife to look at some of the copycats that have popped up.

Peloton has been very aggressive in asserting its patents against competitors, especially Echelon.

Two of Peloton's patents pertaining to "online workouts" that it had asserted against Echelon were invalidated by the Patent Trial and Appeal Board recently.  https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/31/22910520/peloton-echelon-connected-fitness-streaming-patents

Assuming it holds up on appeal, that's going to smart for Peloton.  And it probably has a lot to do with the turmoil at the company.