Peloton Worth It?

Also, for anyone who may be wishing to avoid cycling shoes and clipped pedals, I ran across these pedals.  https://www.amazon.com/ODYSSEY-Twisted-PC-Pedals-16-Inch/dp/B000AO5N1C/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=odyssey+twisted+pedals&qid=1644328960&sr=8-2

They are of BMX origin and are all-plastic, but have plastic "pegs" like MTB flat pedals have steel pegs.

I have them on a single-speed road bike, and they provide very good grip with trainers/running shoes, without destroying the soles (and your shins/calves), like the steel-pegged pedals.  The grip is good enough to maintain pretty insane cadence, and you can pedal through 270 with them, easily.

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

I saw that too and was also surprised. My exact thought was "how tf do they have 2,800 employees to layoff in the first place??". Anyway, like you said, seems like what's going to happen is someone with deep pockets will buy them. I read Amazon or Nike, doesn't seem like Apple is too interested. Not hard to see why their growth has slowed so much, but every corporation on Earth jacks off to subscription business models these days and there's also all the sweet, sweet user data they collect that's very valuable.

Here's my honest opinion after owning one for a year and a half: the cost isn't worth it. Don't get me wrong, it's a good device and a good service. My wife loves it and it's gone a long way toward keeping her sane during the pandemic. We did have some minor mechanical issues with our bike early on (noisy bearing), but the service experience was good. My problem is I just think $40/mo is too much for what you get. That's a gym membership. That's 3X what I pay Netflix. If the bike itself was pretty inexpensive, I could see $40/mo. Or if the service was, say, $15/mo I wouldn't complain. If we had it to do over again, I'd push my wife to look at some of the copycats that have popped up.

$40 a month is a low tier gym. Not near what you would pay for Equinox or even Gold's / 24Hour with decent options. 

But I think it's a different market altogether... the trend of working out at home is not going away. It's just as effective yet way less time consuming as you don't have to drive to the gym. They people that are still going to gyms want to be at a gym.

I think there are a lot of copycats that will eat in to profits but they have built a pretty amazing cult following.

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

I saw that too and was also surprised. My exact thought was "how tf do they have 2,800 employees to layoff in the first place??". Anyway, like you said, seems like what's going to happen is someone with deep pockets will buy them. I read Amazon or Nike, doesn't seem like Apple is too interested. Not hard to see why their growth has slowed so much, but every corporation on Earth jacks off to subscription business models these days and there's also all the sweet, sweet user data they collect that's very valuable.

Here's my honest opinion after owning one for a year and a half: the cost isn't worth it. Don't get me wrong, it's a good device and a good service. My wife loves it and it's gone a long way toward keeping her sane during the pandemic. We did have some minor mechanical issues with our bike early on (noisy bearing), but the service experience was good. My problem is I just think $40/mo is too much for what you get. That's a gym membership. That's 3X what I pay Netflix. If the bike itself was pretty inexpensive, I could see $40/mo. Or if the service was, say, $15/mo I wouldn't complain. If we had it to do over again, I'd push my wife to look at some of the copycats that have popped up.

I definitely could see Amazon buying them but it feels like a customer culture mismatch. I'm sure 99% of Peloton users have a Prime account but Amazon is about including everyone whereas Peloton is exclusive. I feel that Apple would be the best fit but perhaps they don't want it.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Im interested in buying the peloton but the financial status of the company has given me pause. I don’t think the company is disappearing but I hate to buy into a bike/subscription not knowing the future.

im reading the ceo is being fired today along with 2,000 employees. I was shocked they had 10k employees.

my guess is that peloton will eventually be sold to Amazon or Apple. Which should tie in the monthly subscription to Prime or an Apple bundle.

I have no qualms with purchasing mine.  Since my first ride on January 13, I've missed 3 days total; 34 rides and counting.  I haven't exercised that many days in such a short stretch of time since high school.

Peloton fans are, well, fanatical. Someone will snag them, and preserve the experience, because it's sweet sweet services income.  Or, maybe they right size their operations, streamline things and get back to what they were pre-pandemic: a small growing company that was focused.  Pandemic stock value led to a lot of greed and incredibly poor decision making.  For instance, a clothing line?  For something you ride in your own home?

I’ve had mine for 3.5 years.  The screen died in year one, quickly replaced.  We use it a lot, as does my son when he’s home from school. I ride a lot of Emma, Cody, and Kendall.  My wife likes Hannah Corbin and Leanne Hainsby.

If you use it, it’s totally worth it. If you are going to use it as a clothes horse, of course not, but neither is that gym membership you are sleeping on. They have a ton of added content for other types of workouts.

21 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I have no qualms with purchasing mine.  Since my first ride on January 13, I've missed 3 days total; 34 rides and counting.  I haven't exercised that many days in such a short stretch of time since high school.

Peloton fans are, well, fanatical. Someone will snag them, and preserve the experience, because it's sweet sweet services income.  Or, maybe they right size their operations, streamline things and get back to what they were pre-pandemic: a small growing company that was focused.  Pandemic stock value led to a lot of greed and incredibly poor decision making.  For instance, a clothing line?  For something you ride in your own home?

Funny coincidence that the CEO's wife led the apparel division for Peloton.  eyeroll. This operation reeks of the We Work fiasco.

I would love to see a breakdown of the roles of people that required 12-15K total employees. It's unclear if that even included the manufacturing workers.

On 1/14/2022 at 12:19 PM, Angry Gorilla said:

Alex is the best instructor IMO.

Do we have a Surly hashtag?

On 1/19/2022 at 8:11 AM, ZB'Tejas said:

Alex is my guy.

If you create a hashtag let me know.

Did my first Alex class yesterday. That dude smoked me. I'll just stick with him going forward. 

• 2 weeks later...

We’re three weeks in, so in the honeymoon period, but really like it. I used to do a lot of road biking and have done various boot camp, gym, cross fit, etc memberships, but being so busy with work and kids the convenience factor is the shit, especially WFH a couple days a week.

The breadth of classes beyond spin should not be overlooked. And the camaraderie of doing live classes makes up for a lot of the boredom of just riding a trainer. Watched the second half of horns game last night while having a simulated ride through France on the monitor and 45 minutes flew by.

Stock wise, I wouldn’t think twice as a reason not to buy. They skyrocketed during covid and it was not sustainable. They have far too many active members for someone not to swoop in be it Amazon, Apple or private equity. The new CEO was the CFO at Spotify and Netflix which signals how they are thinking about digital and growth. He’s mentioned dropping the price of the bike am increasing the monthly subscription which is curios.

I’ll plug the 30 minute HIT / Hill class with Leann as a hard and efficient quick workout. And she’s juggy.

#SurlyPeloton

On 2/9/2022 at 3:20 PM, Celery Man said:

i think I'm going to wind up on the hook for a treadmill. and I guess $40/mo

I’m not a treadmill kind of guy but went with the NordicTrack bike.  They were practically giving away their ifit subscriptions when I bought mine.  Sure, you have to sign up for a longer-term subscription (3 years in my case) but the price worked out to $6 / month and I knew I would use it.  Figured why not?

• 4 weeks later...

We got one around Thanksgiving. I was around 225. I've mostly been "in shape" but not beastmode at around 215 for about 5-6 years. I'm now 201.6 as of this morning and withing spitting distance of the 100s for the first time since I was in the military almost two decades ago, when I was ripped in the low 190s at 6'3".

I highly recommend Peloton if you're borderline psychotically competitive, like me. I could play pick-up hoops or do something else competitive all day, but have spent maybe 4-5 dozen hours in a gym in my life (outside of required team activities like lifting). With Peloton, I can talk shit to the other people on the leaderboard, even though they can't hear me. I compete against my previous PR. I pick classes with a lot of active participants in order to compete against them, and so on. 

Also, I pick classes for the music. IMO, it's a big deal that they've licensed so much music so that you can jam out to great music while you ride. I've discovered some new artists while getting a workout, which is nice.

I'm only 4 months in, but so long as enough other people are subscribed and active to keep the competitiveness going, I think it will remain a good fit for competitive people.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/21/2022 at 11:42 AM, Quagmire said:

Do you really need to pay a monthly fee for an instructor to tell you to peddle faster ?

People are motivated by different means.  

I've said it in this thread, but with my experience, the Peloton has been absolutely worth every damned penny.  I'm. 54, and a habitual lazy ass.  The most exercise I've had since high school was intramural basketball during college.  I'm not counting all the rounds of golf I played in my life as exercise, because that's just a good walk spoiled at best.  

I got my bike on January 13, and finished my 91st ride a bit ago today.  Simply by doing anywhere from 20-50 minutes a day (33 straight days right now) and with minimal dietary changes, I've lost 15 lbs and a few inches on my waist, not to mention my cardio is much much much better than it was (I would get winded walking up a flight of stairs).  I sleep better, I feel better, my clothes are fitting better and more importantly, I know what I am doing is better for me than doing nothing.

Back to the motivation thing; it's not someone yelling at you---you can yelled at by some chick at a local spin class if you need it.  It's the community behind Peloton, the sense of competitiveness (if you want it to be), the metrics of your rides and the past history of your rides you can compare to, the variety of classes, and the convenience factor, which is not to be trivialized.  I've rolled out of bed, put on some ragged gym shorts and t-shirt, put on my shoes and belted out a 30 minute ride in less time than it would have taken me to get stuff gathered up, drive the 15 minutes to the local spin place, put in my time, then drive back home.  Plus, I have a 9 & 11 year old---I can do this without leaving the house.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

...and the convenience factor, which is not to be trivialized.  I've rolled out of bed, put on some ragged gym shorts and t-shirt, put on my shoes and belted out a 30 minute ride in less time than it would have taken me to get stuff gathered up, drive the 15 minutes to the local spin place, put in my time, then drive back home.  Plus, I have a 9 & 11 year old---I can do this without leaving the house.

Forgot to mention this. I have a 4yo and a 2yo. And I work. And I'm starting another venture. Saving the drive to the gym, the walk in, and all the other random BS has probably saved me 3-4 hours a week in the aggregate.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I got my bike on January 13, and finished my 91st ride a bit ago today.  Simply by doing anywhere from 20-50 minutes a day (33 straight days right now) and with minimal dietary changes, I've lost 15 lbs and a few inches on my waist, not to mention my cardio is much much much better than it was (I would get winded walking up a flight of stairs).  I sleep better, I feel better, my clothes are fitting better and more importantly, I know what I am doing is better for me than doing nothing.

Hey man, good fucking work!

• Hook 'Em 1

Almost to 1,200 rides here and echo everything said about the cost. I'd probably pay the subscription for the bike & a few scenic rides alone. You get to the point where you don't need the motivation - you WANT/NEED to be kicking ass on the bike. Even a short or low effort ride is hugely therapeutic for me. Shitty day? Work sucks? Bitchy wife? Take a ride. I don't know what I would have done throughout the pandemic without being able to feel like I've done something productive for myself or my health. Would recommend for the Nth time on this thread. 

• Hook 'Em 5

• 3 weeks later...

I love the scenic rides on the NordicTrak.  You are riding with a trainer who’s giving advice on how best to tackle the challenge at hand through whatever type of terrain or setting you choose.  I hear the Peloton scenic rides are just drone footage over some trails or what not?  

It’s pretty fun to go back to a workout that damn near had me puking my guts out in December and kicking its ass now.  When I started anything over 20 minutes was difficult, throw in some hills and I really struggled.  Yesterday I did back-to-back rides for 1 hr 15 mins covering 20 miles and about 1,400 ft net elevation gain.  I was wore out, but not hurting at all.

43 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Monthly fee going up $5/mo starting June 1

Kinda B.S.  They sent me the email on that this morning with all the "value" they've added to the subscription, of which I care about 0% and don't use.  Maybe some of the add'l instructors but I don't do strength classes, I don't have a treadmill, I don't care about collabs with rando artists.  I guess I'm in the ecosystem b/c you have a brick w/o the sub but still.

• 4 weeks later...

These chucklefucks lost $750 million this quarter. Are we gonna end up with very expensive clothes drying racks if/when they go belly-up?

In good news, I like the new game thing. Definitely something different from the instructor classes, but they need to add more class lengths and music options.

• 1 month later...

So I cancelled my almost $50 subscription today and signed up for the $12.99 app subscription.  I am then doing a “just ride” ride on my Peloton for the resistance and speed reading, and running the ride video through the app on my iPad. Heart rate monitor reading shows up via the app. I got a device holder on Amazon which I hang off the Peloton screen.  Works great and saves me almost $37 per month. And I still have access to all the exercise videos if I want to do those. Peloton’s subscription model is fucked up and too got damn expensive.  Hopefully they don’t catch on and somehow close this loophole. 

Edited by cabowabo

• 3 weeks later...

well, just pulled the trigger on a peloton from a friend (very minimal use), not bike+

i need to get shoes for it - any recs?

doesn't come with a mat - any recs for that? poking around the subreddit and see some recommendations there.

anything else i should know as a newbie?

2 hours ago, NoName said:

well, just pulled the trigger on a peloton from a friend (very minimal use), not bike+

i need to get shoes for it - any recs?

doesn't come with a mat - any recs for that? poking around the subreddit and see some recommendations there.

anything else i should know as a newbie?

Congrats on the bike.  

For shoes, there's several kinds to choose from.  I wear Nike Superrep cycle shoes (retail for around $100, but you can find them elsewhere cheaper).   They will need the cleats; you purchase them from Amazon and they connect with screws.  Cleats  run around $10-12 a set (Look Delta style cleats).  Also, most cycle shoes run smaller than normal.  I'm a 10.5, but 11 in cycle shoes.  Of course, you could always take off the pedals and put on regular bike pedals, since the threading is the same, but I'd recommend not to.  Clipping in is far more secure, and you get the benefit of pulling up on a pedal at the same time you are pushing down.

Peloton will gladly sell you shoes for $140 or so, cleats included if you would rather go that route.

Mat is for protection of the floor below.  It's not needed if you are putting it on concrete, but on wood, I'd do it.  My bike is on carpet, and to make it more stable, I cut a piece of 3/4 plywood the same size as the mat (4' x 2') and placed it underneath the mat.  Again, YMMV.  

Since you purchased a Bike, it does not auto calibrate itself.  More than likely, it is calibrated fine, but there are guides on how to calibrate it.  If your bike isn't you can get erroneous readings; you could get readings like you are Lance Armstrong, or a 6 year old.  

Also, I have no idea what kind of shape you are in, but if you are like me, do not overestimate your abilities.  This will be a hard ass workout.  Start with the beginner and low impact classes, and stay with them for a month or so.  The seat is hard; you will need time to get your ass used to it.  Also, don't take 30 minutes classes to start; they have shorter classes for you to get acclimated.

My wife is a certified physical trainer, and she also runs half and full marathons.  She's in outstanding shape; she can teach a class, come home and run 3-6 miles on her treadmill afterwards.

Her first class on the bike she just assumed she could do whatever.  She was surprised at how exhausted she was.

Edit.  If clipping into the pedal is hard, the pedals can be adjusted to make it easier.

Also, instructors.  Take them all, figure out who's personality you like and whatnot, but some of them are far, far more hardcore than others (I'm looking at Kendal and Olivia here, if they put their hair up during a ride, some shit is about to go down).  

Personally, I like Sam, Christine, Hannah, Jenn and Dennis.  All are pretty laid back, not much on yelling, they have rides where things are relaxed, their music choices are more my style, you get the idea.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2

Everything Francisco said is on-point. I'm also using Nike Superreps and have maybe 400 rides on them w/ no complaints - solid shoe for a good price. If you'd rather look local most bike shops will have some selection but less so w/ the Delta pattern that you need. A good fitting shoe makes all the difference in the world but you can easily get started w/ something pretty close.

Had a cheap HD garage rug under mine for a while but it's not really needed. Grab a nice heartrate monitor if you're into metrics - A Scosche Rhythm is going on 4 years without issue for me. Get some cheap BT earbuds on Amazon because the built-in speakers are complete garbage. 

One piece of advice I'd give is to hide leaderboards and just focus on your own ride. Any non-plus bike is a complete crap shoot in terms of resistance equivalencies. Your 50 resistance could feel like someone else's 30, etc. If you're on the subreddit for long you'll realize that seemingly everyone posts pro cycling metrics which can be a mind fuck starting out. Do your own calibration at the start if you want but over time you'll really be racing yourself. If I were to ever get a new bike or change mine I'd lose all reference. 

Funny thing Francisco... We just got the tread and I figured my legs would be in great shape after years of riding. Fuck if it's not a completely different type of workout somehow. I find 90% of the challenge when pushing myself is mental - if I can get past the panic and self-doubt then I'm golden. Just 20 runs in and really getting my ass kicked trying to get comfortable w/ that battle but enjoying the challenge. 

Don't get discouraged starting out - it's supposed to kick your ass! Before you know it you'll get a few punches in and then you're hooked. 

On 7/26/2022 at 3:04 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

Congrats on the bike.  

For shoes, there's several kinds to choose from.  I wear Nike Superrep cycle shoes (retail for around $100, but you can find them elsewhere cheaper).   They will need the cleats; you purchase them from Amazon and they connect with screws.  Cleats  run around $10-12 a set (Look Delta style cleats).  Also, most cycle shoes run smaller than normal.  I'm a 10.5, but 11 in cycle shoes.  Of course, you could always take off the pedals and put on regular bike pedals, since the threading is the same, but I'd recommend not to.  Clipping in is far more secure, and you get the benefit of pulling up on a pedal at the same time you are pushing down.

Peloton will gladly sell you shoes for $140 or so, cleats included if you would rather go that route.

Mat is for protection of the floor below.  It's not needed if you are putting it on concrete, but on wood, I'd do it.  My bike is on carpet, and to make it more stable, I cut a piece of 3/4 plywood the same size as the mat (4' x 2') and placed it underneath the mat.  Again, YMMV.  

Since you purchased a Bike, it does not auto calibrate itself.  More than likely, it is calibrated fine, but there are guides on how to calibrate it.  If your bike isn't you can get erroneous readings; you could get readings like you are Lance Armstrong, or a 6 year old.  

Also, I have no idea what kind of shape you are in, but if you are like me, do not overestimate your abilities.  This will be a hard ass workout.  Start with the beginner and low impact classes, and stay with them for a month or so.  The seat is hard; you will need time to get your ass used to it.  Also, don't take 30 minutes classes to start; they have shorter classes for you to get acclimated.

My wife is a certified physical trainer, and she also runs half and full marathons.  She's in outstanding shape; she can teach a class, come home and run 3-6 miles on her treadmill afterwards.

Her first class on the bike she just assumed she could do whatever.  She was surprised at how exhausted she was.

Edit.  If clipping into the pedal is hard, the pedals can be adjusted to make it easier.

Also, instructors.  Take them all, figure out who's personality you like and whatnot, but some of them are far, far more hardcore than others (I'm looking at Kendal and Olivia here, if they put their hair up during a ride, some shit is about to go down).  

Personally, I like Sam, Christine, Hannah, Jenn and Dennis.  All are pretty laid back, not much on yelling, they have rides where things are relaxed, their music choices are more my style, you get the idea.

This is exactly what i was looking for - THANK YOU!!! tons of great info and backs up what my friends locally have said.

On 7/27/2022 at 12:39 AM, vicerous said:

Everything Francisco said is on-point. I'm also using Nike Superreps and have maybe 400 rides on them w/ no complaints - solid shoe for a good price. If you'd rather look local most bike shops will have some selection but less so w/ the Delta pattern that you need. A good fitting shoe makes all the difference in the world but you can easily get started w/ something pretty close.

Had a cheap HD garage rug under mine for a while but it's not really needed. Grab a nice heartrate monitor if you're into metrics - A Scosche Rhythm is going on 4 years without issue for me. Get some cheap BT earbuds on Amazon because the built-in speakers are complete garbage. 

One piece of advice I'd give is to hide leaderboards and just focus on your own ride. Any non-plus bike is a complete crap shoot in terms of resistance equivalencies. Your 50 resistance could feel like someone else's 30, etc. If you're on the subreddit for long you'll realize that seemingly everyone posts pro cycling metrics which can be a mind fuck starting out. Do your own calibration at the start if you want but over time you'll really be racing yourself. If I were to ever get a new bike or change mine I'd lose all reference. 

Funny thing Francisco... We just got the tread and I figured my legs would be in great shape after years of riding. Fuck if it's not a completely different type of workout somehow. I find 90% of the challenge when pushing myself is mental - if I can get past the panic and self-doubt then I'm golden. Just 20 runs in and really getting my ass kicked trying to get comfortable w/ that battle but enjoying the challenge. 

Don't get discouraged starting out - it's supposed to kick your ass! Before you know it you'll get a few punches in and then you're hooked. 

Thank you, have super reps on the way! excited to give it a shot!

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it was covered by several up thread, but one thing that has pleasantly surprised me about Peloton is the variety and quality of classes available that are not on the bike.  We've had ours a little over a year and I have done more stretching, cardio, yoga, and meditation classes than biking (of course they are usually shorter, as well, so easier to stack up).  One of my favorites is the 10-minute full body stretch that Ben Alldis does.  Overall, Denis Morton is probably my favorite instructor -- his taste in music aligns pretty well with mine so that helps.  And he is pretty good about giving occasional tips on form without being annoying about it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

21 hours ago, danhorn111 said:

I think it was covered by several up thread, but one thing that has pleasantly surprised me about Peloton is the variety and quality of classes available that are not on the bike.  We've had ours a little over a year and I have done more stretching, cardio, yoga, and meditation classes than biking (of course they are usually shorter, as well, so easier to stack up).  One of my favorites is the 10-minute full body stretch that Ben Alldis does.  Overall, Denis Morton is probably my favorite instructor -- his taste in music aligns pretty well with mine so that helps.  And he is pretty good about giving occasional tips on form without being annoying about it. 

I probably said it upthread somewhere, but I'm a Denis guy too.  Music taste and also he goes into the science of it a lot.  I'm in the middle of a 5 week Power Zone program and it's awesome.  

I use Peloton in some form almost every single day.  I started out just doing 20 minute scenic rides and over the past 3 years have gotten completely hooked.  I'm doing over an hour combined exercise every day.  Best shape I've been in my life.  Work pays for the monthly sub.  Couldn't be happier.

I have a big life goal that I'm training for coming up next year and it is a perfect compliment for my outdoor training, especially when it's 100+ god damn degrees every day.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I probably said it upthread somewhere, but I'm a Denis guy too.  Music taste and also he goes into the science of it a lot.  I'm in the middle of a 5 week Power Zone program and it's awesome.  

I use Peloton in some form almost every single day.  I started out just doing 20 minute scenic rides and over the past 3 years have gotten completely hooked.  I'm doing over an hour combined exercise every day.  Best shape I've been in my life.  Work pays for the monthly sub.  Couldn't be happier.

I have a big life goal that I'm training for coming up next year and it is a perfect compliment for my outdoor training, especially when it's 100+ god damn degrees every day.

i haven't done that many classes - just started the you can ride 3 week program but using warmup/cool downs to look at other instructors then adding in some low intensity workouts as well, and dennis sure seems to be right up my alley based on the handful i have done.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

i haven't done that many classes - just started the you can ride 3 week program but using warmup/cool downs to look at other instructors then adding in some low intensity workouts as well, and dennis sure seems to be right up my alley based on the handful i have done.

Just ease into it, explore around, figure out what you like.  I didn't even start doing classes with instructors until probably 3-4 months in and I was only doing it like twice a week max.  Now I'm a full on cultist and if I miss a day I get mad at myself, lol.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Just ease into it, explore around, figure out what you like.  I didn't even start doing classes with instructors until probably 3-4 months in and I was only doing it like twice a week max.  Now I'm a full on cultist and if I miss a day I get mad at myself, lol.

just poking around recorded classes on warm ups / cool downs! i'm pumped about it in every way. should have cycling shoes in today and i can move to using those vs my running shoes lol

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...