Scorpions must go, the question is how...

1.  Where do you live (what area)?  You shouldn't usually see them in an urban environment unless you might have a lot of rocks for a retaining wall, etc.  Crevices & whatnot.  We get plenty in Drip, not so much in Oak Hill.

2.  Steel wool / copper wool should be jammed in your weepholes if you have brick or rock siding.  Weepholes won't be present in an older home with Masonite, fiber cement or real wood for siding.

2a.  Don't miss the weepholes that will be above windows & in similar areas up above.  Also check for loose lint duct flaps & trees overhanging the roofline.  They obviously don't leap, but will drop onto the roof & then work through other gaps like the "Eave / Cornice Returns", pictured.e8XYD.jpg

A similar gap will appear @ the intersection of a dormer & eave (directly under where a valley terminates).

Animal Access at Eaves | Professional Engineering Inspections, Inc.

Scorps will wander all over the place & can go quite awhile without anything to eat, so don't be surprised to see that as an opportunity for them to penetrate.

3. If in the country or you are permitted to have chickens, even having 2 can make a serious dent in your bug population, which is especially helpful if you're growing strawberries, tomatoes, etc..

4.  If all of that has been addressed, sticky traps set along baseboards, in corners, etc. will work wonders.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWmBf5ldREEkV-QscuZ

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLl5Tc7WxLvU2SDox9V5B

It doesn't matter what brand, go for the cheaper variety.  The fold up box ones seem to work a bit better & I suppose that's because it appears to be more like a tunnel?  Dunno.  Either way, always have some out.

Be sure to flip your shoes over & tap out whatever is inside before putting them on.

Save your $$ & don't bother with a pesticide service... if you work on all of those steps, you'll get them contained.

Whenever I find one in the house, I use a specific set of tongs to grab it up by the tail & drop it into a water jug (opening is wider than a milk jug) & they eventually wither & die.  I prob. have around 50 in this latest jug; the last collection was tossed by the wife due to "ick" factor.

• Like 6

I had many of them when I first moved into my home a long time ago. Called a couple of pest control places and they said there was nothing they could do. They said that they are nomads and like to hide in wood piles. Told me they would go away once they knew my home was a highly trafficked area. I removed all wood piles left around the my home after construction and sure enough after 6-8 months they no longer showed up. Can't say these folks are right since if they are nomads how do they know space is busy? Yet pest guys predictions held true so that is a summary of my experience. After reading ROFL BOX experience I am glad pest guys predictions worked out for me, since my kids 4 & 5 at the time were in the places they showed up most.

We'd get a few every year at our last house.  We were told they were revved up by new construction.  Our house was the newest in the neighborhood by a long shot, and it was 6 years old at the time we bought it.

Then we bought a lot and built a new house a couple of miles away.  Five years later, I haven't seen a scorpion yet.  I'm not sure about that "construction" angle.

But yeah, what ROFL said.  Especially the metal wool in weepholes, dust around exterior thresholds, and get the tree limbs away from your roofline.

I had a couple loads of base material hauled in a few years ago. One of them must have had a nest because suddenly I had hundreds of scorpions. Forget which poison I used, but I mixed it double strength and it killed most of them. Woke up one morning, felt something on my arm, looked over and it was a freaking huge scorpion. Managed to not lose my shit and stayed still until it crawled off, then I freaked. I still pull the covers back and check before getting in bed after that.

Edited by RPM

1 hour ago, RPM said:

I had a couple loads of base material hauled in a few years ago. One of them must have had a nest because suddenly I had hundreds of scorpions. Forget which poison I used, but I mixed it double strength and it killed most of them. Woke up one morning, felt something on my arm, looked over and it was a freaking huge scorpion. Managed to not lose my shit and stayed still until it crawled off, then I freaked. I still pull the covers back and check before getting in bed after that.

Huh. I’d have burned the house down, changed my name and moved to South America. In case it finds you again 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Good stuff guys, appreciate the experience and suggestions.  Thanks.

Just for fun I might look into mounting a UV light on a pellet gun and go on a recon mission.

Buddy of mine goes walking around his house at night with a black light flashlight, pliers, and Lone Star Light.

16 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Buddy of mine goes walking around his house at night with a black light flashlight, pliers, and Lone Star Light.

Yeah, I forgot to mention black light hunting in log / brush / rock piles + looking up the walls of the house.  Esp. great on a moonless night.  That's a shitload of fun to do with the kids.  Do like I do, get a jug & collect 'em.

The worst that would happen with the sticky traps is your little kid or maybe a cat sticks their finger in / on it.

Diatomaceous Earth is mostly inert & the worst part about that is if you place it inside the house, it looks like someone sprinkled your house with ashes from Grandpa or dumped out the smoker pan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Getting to this party a little late but I'll throw in two cents. 

spacer.png

Lived in 100+ year old farm house for five years and with all its cracks and crevices it had a terrible scorpion problem. Once spring rolled around and especially after
a rain, they'd start coming in. Demon is mixed with water and following the 2-packet / double strength directions gives you the scorpion killer. Much like what's already been
mentioned you need to douse every crack and crevice where you even think they might be getting in. If you have a pier and beam house I'd really recommend all around the base boards / outside skirting etc. 

Demon dries into a white powder after it has been sprayed and it kills any scorpion that walks through it for 2-3 months. Letting that amount of time pass without spraying I might have found 20+  live scorpions in that house. With the demon I'd maybe find 3-4 by the time I needed to spray again and they were already dead as shit. 

• Like 1

Ditto on the Demon WP.  I spray that a few times a year and haven't used a pest service in 15 years.  My daughter freaks out if she she sees a bug and this shit keeps them away.  Of course it's probably the reason she's autistic, either that or the flu vaccine she gets every year.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2020 at 8:30 AM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Good stuff guys, appreciate the experience and suggestions.  Thanks.

Just for fun I might look into mounting a UV light on a pellet gun and go on a recon mission.

Do it.  It's fun.
We had a mouse under our fridge last week.  I hid out and took potshots at it whenever it showed itself.  Surprised I didn't shatter a window with a ricochet.  Eventually, I got it in a glue trap, took it outside, and shot it.

31 minutes ago, Marfa Low Crown said:

Getting to this party a little late but I'll throw in two cents. 

spacer.png

Lived in 100+ year old farm house for five years and with all its cracks and crevices it had a terrible scorpion problem. Once spring rolled around and especially after
a rain, they'd start coming in. Demon is mixed with water and following the 2-packet / double strength directions gives you the scorpion killer. Much like what's already been
mentioned you need to douse every crack and crevice where you even think they might be getting in. If you have a pier and beam house I'd really recommend all around the base boards / outside skirting etc. 

Demon dries into a white powder after it has been sprayed and it kills any scorpion that walks through it for 2-3 months. Letting that amount of time pass without spraying I might have found 20+  live scorpions in that house. With the demon I'd maybe find 3-4 by the time I needed to spray again and they were already dead as shit. 

Coincidentally, I just ordered this via Amazon on Saturday.  Somehow, these large, cockroach-looking bugs keep getting in our house.  We see about 1 a day.  We keep our house really clean, AND I'm having a devil of a time (no pun) trying to figure out the entry point.  Hopefully, this stuff works.  We live on a peninsula, they're building a senior center in the field adjacent to our house, so all sorts of things have been clamoring to get into our house.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

When we lived in Georgetown we had scorpions, spiders, ants, etc. getting in the house.  I started buying insect killer for lawns (granules, not spray), sprinkled in my flower beds around my house every other month or so and they pretty much disappeared except for the occasional dead one we'd find.

I also mixed in the fire ant stuff when I fertilized and it kept the fire ants in the neighbor's yards and out of mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Related:

I cannot be the only one who is seeing a bumper crop of pill bugs in their house.

(Y'all city folk probably don't apply to this situation).

Seems we get this kind of a crowd overnight. Door sill / sweep issues?

& I guess I should look up some info on the life cycle of a pill bug... get some learnin' & stuffs.

Yeah, the pic looks to be of mouse scat but it IS pill buggin'.286b7e27272c33dc848c3a546c936799.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

We are not having a pillbug invasion, but it seems the entire millipede population of northeast Travis County has marched on our house.  The exterminator only cares if they are dying not preventing entrance...which might be impossible.

I'm not so sure I'm gonna sleep tonite.  I just thought I had it rough.  For the record, though the sticky traps are working.  Can't really say if the Bifen is working but using it religiously.  So far the scorpion count is "flattening the curve" oh wait that's another problem.  We are winning this battle boys.  Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

I'm not so sure I'm gonna sleep tonight.  I just thought I had it rough.  For the record, though the sticky traps are working.  Can't really say if the Bifen is working but using it religiously.  So far the scorpion count is "flattening the curve" oh wait that's another problem.  We are winning this battle boys.  Thanks!

Clear jug filled with scorps or it didn't happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/18/2020 at 9:58 AM, Catpfish said:

We are not having a pillbug invasion, but it seems the entire millipede population of northeast Travis County has marched on our house.  The exterminator only cares if they are dying not preventing entrance...which might be impossible.

Try some Bifen LP granules and spread them pretty heavy around the house and flowerbeds

OK smarty pants, it's a start. https://ibb.co/rvnGFnP

Secure Connection Failed An error occurred during a connection to ibb.co. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

"So what's it gonna be, boy?  Yes - or - no?"

~Lorraine Crosby

Cut a lotta Cedar again today & came in for dinner all sweaty. Swapped shirts but kept Jean's on.

After dinner, removed jeans & piled them on the BR floor... then showered.

After shower, collected stank clothing for a wash & dry cycle + some dish towels, etc. & this combo makes for fuzz & lint in the pockets.

After the dryer cycle, I rabbit eared the pockets & this came out of the L side.

Must have climbed in during that 15 minute gap.40829877ec9c76b3613b7fc171775f89.jpg

Chased after a Scorp (not an "S Corp") today, was on the back of a hutch type piece of furniture.

Tried to nab it with the tongs, missed. Scurried up on top of the cabinet & then disappeared.

Wife is pissed that I didn't simply squish. Don't care, did try to acquire.