Glue to repair blastic bug deflector

AUinHsv

Acrylic bug deflector on 4Runner has a crack going vertical on the deflector. About 2 inches on the 3 inch height. Any suggestions on a good epoxy or other type glue to keep it from spreading - obviously it must able to flex some while driving.

30 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Seems to me if would be easier to just replace it

Except its for a 2001 4Runner and unobtainable.  Got 20 years out of it (10 years and warranty replacement for 10 more) so can't complain - just don't want to have to find another vendor if possible. At some point they quit making them for older vehicles

Edited by AUinHsv

On 4/21/2020 at 2:32 PM, davidg said:

Super glue might be easiest but MEK is used to glue together stuff made from acrylic sheets.  Might fog it up though if you get it everywhere.

ETA:    Also, https://www.weathertech.com/toyota/2001/4runner/stone-and-bug-deflector/

7938.jpg

Thanks for the link. I know I can get another brand but I also know that some of the other ones don't work very well. The first one I tried was the OEM Toyota one. Went down Parmer from McNeil to MoPac and pulled over to take it off. Literally thought the hood was going to detach from the shaking it caused.

46 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I'm just getting started in my bug deflector repair hobby.

I'm in the market for a 20 year old vehicle with a broken bug deflector to get me started. I pmed OP and he seems reluctant to sell. 

I'm wonder how does one best go about finding a vehicle with a properly broken bug deflector? There is no filter on Craigslist to assist?

Should I just buy a broken bug deflector and put it on any old car? Is this a form of cheating? 

I'm just really lost on how best to dig in and get started.

There's a lot to unpack here - it's clear to me that you're new to the bug deflecting scene.

You first need to figure out why you're getting into the game. Is it because you hate bugs? Because you like automobile paint? Because you enjoy using various glues? For health reasons? I know a guy who got into it because his doctor told him he needed to lose 450 lbs., and he managed to make a lifestyle change (only eating what he himself had killed, i.e., thousands of undeflected bugs) that helped him lose the weight and keep it off. That was 15+ years ago. 

I'd recommend you start with a subscription to Bug Deflection Weekly, and if you need more help than it can give you (doubt it - at your novice level, 52 issues a year should keep you plenty busy...) then maybe also look into Aerodynamic Plastics Monthly. 

But the good news is that you have plenty of time to sort these issues out. Prime bug deflecting season doesn't really get started until June or July depending on where you live, so if you get your shit together ASAP, there's still hope for you to salvage this year. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Thanks Prepuce. I'll certainly look into those publications. 

Prior though I am curious about one item. You mentioned prime bug deflecting season. I live in the hills of Tennessee not far from the Smokey Mountains. I love where I live, but I wonder, is this really the best place to become best skilled at both Bug Deflecting and bug deflector repair? Sure there are a ton of bugs here but I'm just not fully sold.

I met a girl on Sparrow Hawks and she's been at the bug deflector repair hobby a long time. She's from Minnesota and says in the summer it doesn't get much better than her home state.

Should I pontificate a move to more prime bug deflecting region now or wait until I'm further along in my bug deflector repair skill before trying to step into the big leagues.

TTIWWOPOHCP (This Thread Is Worthless Without Pictures Of Her Curved Plastics) 

Seriously though, Minnesota in the summer is basically Shangri La for Deflectors (not so much for the bugs though, amirite?!) so other than Following the Swarm and driving the migratory route of locust plagues (definite Bucket List item for me...) there really isn't a better place to deflect. 

May your windshield washer fluid reservoir never require additional fluid, 

PoD

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Haha 1