Essential Surly Personnel

hundredTT

Please guide me to the thread if it’s been done before and merge. But I would love to have a thread to recognize our essential peeps here. I’m so tired of seeing people bitching about quarantine online,  while others are risking their lives every day to serve you. I do an essential job working in the prison system, with close contact to God knows who. But at the same time I choose to do this job and am definitely not a hero. I knew officer Justin Putnam, whose EOW was this last weekend due to some fucking domestic violence piece of shit. I watched his body be transported from Austin to SM today, and the reception was amazing. I’m probably going off topic now, but please state your position if you have been working through all this and get some Recognition. RIP Mr. Putnam, dude was the best person you could meet. 

Edited by hundredTT
  • Like 5

RIP Officer Putnam.

not essential at all myself, but my youngest son works for Airborn in Georgetown. He is making some electronic parts for hospital ventilators.

Three extended family members are firemen, another a police K9 cop, and two are hospital nurses. 

• Like 3

I'm "essential", though not essential enough to work 40 hours a week anymore.  My hours have been cut to 25 hours a week.

But I'm not complaining because I am able to receive unemployment for my lost hours.  Plus the extra $600 week the federal government is paying.

I have to say it is pretty fucking nice working only five hours days while bringing home substantially more income.

almost feel guilty.

• Like 2

Most jobs labeled essential by the government aren't as essential as you might think.  My job is labeled essential but I haven't been to work in a month.  Probably gonna work a few days in May, but not much.  Nobody needs my services and the country would do just fine without them right now.  My coworkers mostly joke about being essential.  In our case it's more an economic stability thing than any actual need for our work, and even with that there's way too many of us at the moment and we're all hoping not to get furloughed.  Certainly not as essential as the OP and what he had in mind.  Maybe a different thread title could acknowledge the people whose services and efforts are truly needed on a daily basis.  

Edited by Your Mom

Essential here, but nowhere near the frontline. Many coworkers, in other departments, are out front though.

cybersecurity for an entity that is definitely hard at work right now

definitely have a few family, friends out there too. Almost daily updates from mayo clinic doc, nashville hospital ceo, firefighter, ems. proud of them all and thank them constantly.

Edited by pacman