ITALIAN Shit I've Cooked Lately

Landomatic

Although it's a generic chain, I always loved the Rigatoni D from Maggiano's growing up.  Wanted to see if I could recreate it and I'll be damned if they don't just have the recipe on their website...

https://www.maggianos.com/blog/our-famous-rigatoni-d-recipe

So, really can't take any credit for this one as I pretty much just followed the recipe to a T.  But it did turn out great and tasted as good, maybe even a little better, than what I remember from the restaurant.  Shit's got crack in it.

Side note: I really hate cooking like that.  Following a recipe to a T feels much more like science than art that anyone who can read can do, and that's just not enjoyable to me.  But anyway, here's the end result...

k3TWc6.jpg

8jK4ZE.jpg

VEHhcc.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

There's plenty of people who can read that would fuck that recipe up real good.  Because you know how to cook, is why you can replicate it well.  Looks good...

Yeah, I suppose you're right.  I still much prefer to wing it and eyeball and improvise and estimate and shoot from the hip and tweak things to my liking when I cook.

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Did you see his brisket?  He ain't one-upping us.  8-)

Haha yeah but he fucked the delivery up by not posting pics of it from his boat.  He could post a bowl of kraft mac and cheese in this thread from his boat and it will look fantastic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Decided to recreate one of my all time greatest Italian restaurant dishes tonight. RPM Italian Chicago spicy squid ink crab pasta. Tried recreating on my own a few times with moderate success. Finally found recipe thank god. Personally, This is a top 5 dish for a number of reason. Had to sub on jalapeño for Fresno chili peppers and added a small lobster tail on top, but still was a crazy good dinner. Pasta easily available on Amazon.

Inspiration:

39b53c5180ebe318d0ab2a13dab0e3b3.jpg

Recipe:

e2cbe405798485cbdf3f62381b5288c0.jpg

My central Texas recreation. 8/10 overall.
a49fe133eea1ece38bf09424f9238ea0.jpg
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Squid Ink Seafood Pasta

Saw someone make something like this years ago on some cooking show.  No clue which one or who it was, so going completely off memory on it.  I'm sure I fucked a few things up, but it turned out pretty damn fantastic for just stabbing in the dark.

Started by crisping up some pork belly strips...

aEl3tq.jpg

Set them aside once they're nice and crispy as they're just going to serve as a crispy garnish at the end when I plate...

hCcJbR.jpg

In a separate pot, cooked up some peppers...

ok2iky.jpg

Set them aside once they're done.  Admittedly, I was a little paranoid about the timing of it all as the seafood and the pasta take almost no time to cook, so setting the peppers aside helps control that some.

bQkSu1.jpg

In the same pot that had the pork belly, cook the shrimp and calamari in a little EVOO with sliced garlic.  The shrimp take about twice as long as the squid, and both can get really rubbery really fast so pay really close attention.  Add in the peppers and some red pepper flakes...

Y6fhn9.jpg

Before that gets overcooked, add in your pasta just before it's done.  This pasta (Central Market Squid Ink Fettuccine) took 3 minutes to cook so everything happened really fast right at the end there.  Toss it around in whatever sauce was created throughout the whole process and add some finishing salt....

EKmmkM.jpg

Plated with a little bit of fresh basil, some shaved parmesagno raggiano and the pork belly crisps...

xVtaNn.jpg

Couple critiques...I think I overcooked the pork belly just a touch so the flavor was slightly off-putting.  Texture was nice, but the slightly burned flavor offset it, resulting in kind of a net negative on that part.  Also, I got a little heavy handed with the red pepper flakes.  Overall though, it was pretty damn tasty.

Will make again.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/19/2020 at 3:58 PM, South Austin said:

So I see a lot of variations of Italian meat sauce, and a lot of variations of Bolognese.  But what sets the two apart?  Is it cream?  A mirepoix?  The meat (beef v. pork and/or veal)? 

The bolognese changes as you go north.  It's much more of a tomato sauce with meat in it in the south and by the time you get to northern Italy it's almost a purely meat sauce.  Each region/city has their own take on the sauce.  The sauce I make is a ragu bolognese and is based on a recipe from Bologna.  It uses beef, pork and veal and only has a couple of tomatoes in it.  There is no cream at all in the sauce but there is a lot of red wine in it.

• Like 1

Sunday Gravy

Always wanted to try one of those long, all day pasta sauce cooks to see if it really makes that much difference to cook it longer.  It does.  That long cook just ended up pulling out all the flavors to a whole other level.  Best red sauce pasta I've ever made.  Total cook time about 7 hours.

Not saying I won't do a quicker one ever again when time calls for it.  But if I ever have the option of doing a long cook on my red sauce again, I'm going this route.  Other than stirring a few times in between, the actual amount of work is the same, so it's kind of a no-brainer...assuming 1) I'll be home all day and 2) that I think of it early enough in the day (which never seems to happen).

Basic ingredients - garlic, sage (had some laying around so thought I'd try it), Italian parsley, basil, celery, carrots, onion, and per Surly suggestions, a few leftover parmigiano reggiano rinds.  Went with bucatini for the pasta because I love it (always bronze cut whenever possible), and a couple cans of peeled San Marzano tomatoes.  Also added about a cup of Italian red wine, which I've never done before but I've seen it done on these longer cooks so wanted to try it...

hW3Nxv.jpg

pYE32q.jpg

Went with Italian Sausage for my protein this time...

VliAfW.jpg

8mRGPs.jpg

Got everything going by about 1:30PM...

PrvmpG.jpg

Wxjx3F.jpg

Cooked covered for the first 5 hours, then cracked the lid for the 6th hour, then removed the lid for the last hour.  After 7 hours...

KoVPgo.jpg

Ended up with way more sauce than pasta, so finished it all in a separate pan so I could control the ratios...

UPULeQ.jpg

A little antipasto to get us started.  After smelling pasta sauce slow cooking all day, people start getting a little hungry and impatient.  This tides us over...

4m3hUz.jpg

Plated and served.  Looks about the same as any old red sauce pasta I've ever made, but taste was elevated to 11...

dcgJG7.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

I struggle to come up with a side or starter when I make pasta.  Can always do bread (and often do), but that's just more carbs on carbs.  Salad I guess, but...salad.  I think I've decided antipasto is the way to go.  Just been throwing stuff together with whatever I have laying around when I do them lately, but I think I might need to start getting into it and applying some actual effort.  I just kind of lay one out on the counter and we graze on it with a little wine while I'm cooking.  They really are a pretty great way to start things off on pasta night...

DMFnh8.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

My son got me this kit.  Folding the bottom layer over and using the rolling pin gives it a nice seal.  You want a nice boil when you put them in the water.  I use a slotted spoon so I'm not dropping them.  The boil should not be a violent boil and 90 seconds is the cook time I use.   Remove with slotted spoon.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Really bad drunk in-progress photo of this dish, but it slammed.

Called Aragosta alla Catalana ... even though it's sicilian lobster salad. 

Layer this ultra thin sicilian rosemary flatbread.  add vinegar-marinated onions.  add tomatoes.  add lobster.  DOUSE it with olive oil.  obligatory salt+pepper. 

give it a mix to break up the flatbread a bit, almost like tortilla, and for the olive oil to distribute.

it has crunchy, has sweetness, has tangy... delicious 

IMG-20200829-184549.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

[mention=275]Landomatic[/mention] made your bolognese again tonight. GF made me use squash noodles but it was still so damn good. Thanks again for the recipe

28825af7421227edb4180f313ccd5913.jpg

Nice bro!  Tell her we’ll let the squash noodles slide this once, but never again.  Now if you can just tech me to cook Mexican food 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...