Other shitty B&W movies: 
Dr. Strangelove
Psycho
Last Picture Show
The Hustler
Elephant Man
Manhattan
Maltese Falcon

Dr Strangelove, the Hustler and Maltese Falcon are favorites of mine as well as required Cinema 101 for appreciating the development of such heavyweights as Kubrick, Newman and Bogart.

I've never seen Doctor Zhivago. I can spell it, and I love Lawrence of Arabia, but I've never seen David Lean's other epic.

Zhivago is another Lean epic with Omar Sharif - you should definitely watch it.
Tell me young padawan have you ever heard of “The Bridge on the River Kwai”?
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, tantric superman said:

I think a young conservative type is going to have more trouble than a young prog relating to Ben's ennui after graduation, especially since he got alfa romeo for graduation.

I was a young conservative type when I graduated, and the stock market had just crashed and half the banks in Texas failed and there were no jobs for grads, and that movie completely hit home for me.  Unfortunately, I didn't have Anne Bancroft taking me to sexy town.  It's still in my top 10 favorites list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

What did you think?  And a good double feature with Reservoir Dogs, no? 

It was really good. It was interesting all the storytelling techniques Kubrick used way back then. And yeah, it would pair nicely with RD as I believe it was QT's inspiration for RD.

I'm not sure if it's a classic but I watched Grand Prix for the first time last night and really enjoyed it.  The racing scenes were incredible.  It's over 50 years old but I don't think it has anything to be ashamed about when compared to Ford vs Ferrari that came out last year.  I would like to see it on the big screen.

James Garner was cool as always.  He's probably the best thing to ever come out of Norman.  Some of the romantic stuff drug a little bit but overall wasn't too bad.  I'll never think of Mrs. Archer the same way again.  The Frenchie dying was a bit of a gut punch.  I was kind of rooting for him in the last race.  And I would like to party with Nino but I think he made a mistake trading the Italian girlfriend for the two Japanese girls.

11730b3953da02984193b6398c40e070.jpg

3 hours ago, tantric superman said:

We need to defer to the film buffs on that question.

And it wasn't really a rant so much as a defense of a sloppy line.

ImpossibleDamagedHoneycreeper-size_restr

If someone has never even heard of The Graduate and needs to have "classic" movie defined for them, I think they're in the wrong thread.  Or based on the thread title, they're in the perfect thread, but they are going to be very confused.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WBT said:

I'm not sure if it's a classic but I watched Grand Prix for the first time last night and really enjoyed it.  The racing scenes were incredible.  It's over 50 years old but I don't think it has anything to be ashamed about when compared to Ford vs Ferrari that came out last year.  I would like to see it on the big screen.

James Garner was cool as always.  He's probably the best thing to ever come out of Norman.  Some of the romantic stuff drug a little bit but overall wasn't too bad.  I'll never think of Mrs. Archer the same way again.  The Frenchie dying was a bit of a gut punch.  I was kind of rooting for him in the last race.  And I would like to party with Nino but I think he made a mistake trading the Italian girlfriend for the two Japanese girls.

11730b3953da02984193b6398c40e070.jpg

I saw this movie on the big screen when it was released in 1966 at the Paramount (I was 11).

Loved it and James Garner did his own driving in it.

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I too have never seen The Graduate. Nor have I seen Citizen Kane. Then again, I have never seen Flashdance or E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

Far better is it to stay away from classics, and to do other things around the house, to win money in vegas, or at a local card game, even though you miss out on Flashdance... than to rank with those poor spirits who didn't enjoy the Graduate as much as other classics, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Saw Badlands over the weekend.  Surprised to see that it was ranked as #4 on Guardian's List of Best Crime Films.   Seen most of these and not a bad list. 

·       Chinatown: the best crime film of all time

·       Touch of Evil: No 2 best crime film of all time

·       Vertigo: No 3 best crime film of all time

·       Badlands: No 4 best crime film of all time

·       Rashomon: No 5 best crime film of all time

·       Double Indemnity: No 6 best crime film of all time

·       Get Carter: No 7 best crime film of all time

·       Pulp Fiction: No 8 best crime film of all time

·       Hidden: No 9 best crime film of all time

·       Goodfellas: No 10 best crime film of all time

·       Bonnie and Clyde: No 11 best crime film of all time

·       The Conversation: No 12 best crime film of all time