The classic film I've never seen

Beau Vine

32 minutes ago, HouTex said:

No way this is a serious post. Right?

So you don't see a movie because so many people have talked about it ?  Do you not visit the Sistine Chapel, look at the Mona Lisa, Visit the Parthenon ?  A shit load of people have talked about those ...........a lot.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

23 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

So you don't see a movie because so many people have talked about it ?  Do you not visit the Sistine Chapel, look at the Mona Lisa, Visit the Parthenon ?  A shit load of people have talked about those ...........a lot.

Forget it, Jake. It's Helobious.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Forget it, Jake. It's Helobious.  

Haha the Chinatown review on the same site is more on point, imo.

As for There Will Be Blood, it's one of those movies that one watches with rapt attentiveness even if one ultimately dislikes it because Day-Lewis' performance is so mesmerizing. (On that note, he's the only reason Gangs of New York is tolerable.)

Anyway, put me firmly on #teamtherewillbeblood. The more I watch it, the more I like it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Never seen The Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs, or Citizen Kane. No desire to see any of those. I already get the gist of them all since they’re talked about so much.

I think Citizen Kane is terribly overrated in the same way that Ball Four is an overrated baseball book, and I've never been crazy about Mafia movies, but how the fuck have you not seen Pulp Fiction?

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

As for There Will Be Blood, it's one of those movies that one watches with rapt attentiveness even if one ultimately dislikes it because Day-Lewis' performance is so mesmerizing.

And that's why I agreed with this:

I’d say There Will Be Blood is not interested in people at all, other than its protagonist. It seems an oddly narrow perspective through which to make a grand, universal statement about capitalism and greed as the film seems to be straining for – and it might sum up why it leaves me cold.

A major problem for the youngsters is that the vast majority of the classic old films are in black and white.  My kids are 25 and 28 years old and they've always had a hard time with black and white films.  They have some kind of prejudice that prevents them from staying interested long enough to appreciate the filmmaking. They pretty much admit it.  Growing up,  we had a black and white TV until I was maybe 9 or 10 years old and I suspect we were typical of most families.  Black and white is not an immediate turn off for old people like it seems to be for the kids.

5 minutes ago, HouTex said:

A major problem for the youngsters is that the vast majority of the classic old films are in black and white.  My kids are 25 and 28 years old and they've always had a hard time with black and white films.  They have some kind of prejudice that prevents them from staying interested long enough to appreciate the filmmaking. They pretty much admit it.  Growing up,  we had a black and white TV until I was maybe 9 or 10 years old and I suspect we were typical of most families.  Black and white is not an immediate turn off for old people like it seems to be for the kids.

Yep, the son, a way above average smart kid has made that same type of comment. And people say kids today aren't dumb asses.  I've been drawn to the old black & whites of late.

13 minutes ago, HouTex said:

This.  I didn't know the Starsky & Hutch car was red until years later.  Always imagined it was dark green.  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Any movie made before 1970 other than Wizard of Oz and 2001:Space Odyssey 

The Graduate? Cool Hand Luke, The Hustler, Butch Cassidy. These are some of the best movies ever made and you should feel bad if you haven't seen them. 

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Any movie made before 1970 other than Wizard of Oz and 2001:Space Odyssey 

Pretty much me as well.  I realize now it's all accessible via streaming, but I have no desire at this point to watch a bunch of movies made 20+ years before I was born, and I wouldn't even know where to start.  I don't consider myself a film buff or anything.  I probably would have knocked a bunch out before my kids were born if streaming was a thing, but not that long ago you'd either have to seek out the DVDs to buy/rent or watch TCM non stop to catch up.  

12 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Pretty much me as well.  I realize now it's all accessible via streaming, but I have no desire at this point to watch a bunch of movies made 20+ years before I was born, and I wouldn't even know where to start.  I don't consider myself a film buff or anything.  I probably would have knocked a bunch out before my kids were born if streaming was a thing, but not that long ago you'd either have to seek out the DVDs to buy/rent or watch TCM non stop to catch up.  

And there it is.  I think those of us who are film buffs just have a hard time wrapping out heads around someone not seeing a film as amazing as The Graduate or Casablanca.  But if that shit doesn't interest you and you force yourself to sit through it in the wrong frame of mind, then you non film buffs become the idiots that come on threads like this and tell us film buffs that a film like The Graduate sucks.   And that shit pisses us off.   So it's really better for all of us if you don't watch it until you really want to see it, which will probably be never.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Pretty much me as well.  I realize now it's all accessible via streaming, but I have no desire at this point to watch a bunch of movies made 20+ years before I was born, and I wouldn't even know where to start I don't consider myself a film buff or anything.  I probably would have knocked a bunch out before my kids were born if streaming was a thing, but not that long ago you'd either have to seek out the DVDs to buy/rent or watch TCM non stop to catch up.  

That's probably for the best.

Seriously though you are missing some wonderful works of art. Just pick one of Casablanca, Paths of Glory, Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on the River Kwai, or 12 Angry Men and watch it and see if you still feel that way about these old films. Just because they're older doesn't mean that you couldn't find value in the thoughts of those from the past.

• Like 2

Can only speak for myself but some popular movies just never really interested me but when given the chance to actually watch them, come away enjoying them.  Heard so much about The King's Speech but it was a movie I thought I'd never watch or like,  but it was on the other night and it was fantastic, kick myself for not watching it sooner.   

31 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Do you assume that because it was made 20 years before you were born it is somehow irrelevant?

Do you feel the same way about books?  Or paintings?  Or music?

• Like 1

Just to be completely honest, I like a lot of classic movies, and relatively speaking the Graduate kinda sucks.

Its weird.  Whereas some of the 70s movies seem timeless, there are a few flicks form the late 60s that seek really locked in to their time and I'm not sure I enjoyed the vibe. 

I think the best path into "classic", and especially foreign films is simply to start with someone like Kubrick, watch his classics, and then hit the wiki pages, and you might get some clues about influences, etc., and that will drive you to some interesting stuff on your own time.

Watching Scorsese got me reading about Visconti, and then on to Rosselini, etc.

I also don't know how anyone can watch John Ford or film noir and not want to give some  of the old American movies a chance after that. 

1 minute ago, Jive Turkey said:

I've never seen Saving Private Ryan.  I think I rationalized it by saying that it's a movie that needs to be seen on the big screen, and since I missed that, I don't want to watch it on TV.  I should rectify this.

whoa.  the first 30 minutes of that movie should be seen by every man, woman, and child in america.  at least do that much. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Do you assume that because it was made 20 years before you were born it is somehow irrelevant?

Do you feel the same way about books?  Or paintings?  Or music?

No, it's just a matter of priorities.  I don't have the desire to consume the history of cinema.  I'm sure I'd enjoy most of them, but if I was going to immerse myself in a project I would probably pick something more worthwhile.

16 hours ago, Helobious said:

Never seen The Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs, or Citizen Kane. No desire to see any of those. I already get the gist of them all since they’re talked about so much.

anyone who makes this post doesn’t deserve these movies. don’t watch them. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Just start at Casablanca and work your way forward

31 minutes ago, futureman said:

whoa.  the first 30 minutes of that movie should be seen by every man, woman, and child in america.  at least do that much. 

yeah, I'm really into WWII in Colour on Netflix, so I want to see this (the whole movie)

Saving Private Ryan came out on July 24, 1998.  that was about a week before I took the state bar exam.  I was not seeing movies at that time.  and then I took a month long bar trip.  again, not seeing any movies.  then I started working and saw very few movies.  so this was definitely during my movie dark period.