The classic film I've never seen

Beau Vine

15 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Agreed.  Paramount in Austin, when there isn't a pandemic going on, is a great place to see the old classics in the summer.  My wife and I saw Gone With The Wind and To Kill A Mockingbird there several years back.  I could probably watch To Kill A Mockingbird once a week.  

Paramount Summer Film Classics is awesome.  I've seen GWTW, Casablanca, and The Graduate among other movies there.  Hopefully that won't get cancelled this summer.  Another great option in Austin is the Austin Film Society theater is Lincoln Center.  It must be fairly new and I just discovered it early this year.  I caught In The Heat of the Night there and started following what they were going to be showing in the future.  And the Covid hit.  Definitely check it out once the world returns to normalcy.  

42 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i have a theory about casablanca, and it's not just because it matches my own story of why it probably took longer for me to watch it than it should've.

growing up (in the 80's) a lot of the "old" movies (1930's-1950's) got grouped together in my head.  especially, for some reason, casablanca and gone with the wind.  and at some point, when i was 14 or 15, someone tried to get me to watch gone with the wind, because i always loved movies.  i hated it and it was 9 hours long.  for that reason alone, i didn't watch casablanca until college (even though i loved butch cassidy, the graduate, chinatown, the sting, cool hand luke, the godfather movies, etc in high school). 

once i watched it, i couldn't get enough.  it's 100 minutes long and flies by.  not to mention it has likable characters and about 50 famous quotes.

to me, it's also about the setting.  i've dragged my wife to see so many old movies when they show them at theaters out here, and she loves almost every one.  but getting her to watch at home isn't the same.  she gets distracted, tunes out, or if the lights are off, she falls asleep (which for her age, is not ok).  i'm sure a lot of people here in their 20's/30's are the same way.  shit, i've gone and seen recent classics like the princess bride and rain man in theaters and got a completely new experience out of it.  do it.

i have a buddy who works in film development but i make fun of him because he isn't the student of film that someone in his position really should be.  i dragged him kicking and screaming to go see lawrence of arabia at the arclight.  it was so long it had a fucking intermission.  he was genuinely thankful, and now is obsessed with that movie.  zero chance that type of thing happens at home.

tl;dr:

1. watch casablanca if you haven't seen it.  your wife/girlfriend will love it too

2. find out what theaters in your city play old movies, and make an effort (after covid) to get to the theater.  

3. get over the black and white thing.  after 10 minutes you won't even notice.  jesus christ.

4.  Henry should try GWTW at the theater, though that 9 hour run time is really a bitch.   So maybe not.  I've seen it in the theater 3 times, but never on TV.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i have a theory about casablanca, and it's not just because it matches my own story of why it probably took longer for me to watch it than it should've.

growing up (in the 80's) a lot of the "old" movies (1930's-1950's) got grouped together in my head.  especially, for some reason, casablanca and gone with the wind.  and at some point, when i was 14 or 15, someone tried to get me to watch gone with the wind, because i always loved movies.  i hated it and it was 9 hours long.  for that reason alone, i didn't watch casablanca until college (even though i loved butch cassidy, the graduate, chinatown, the sting, cool hand luke, the godfather movies, etc in high school). 

once i watched it, i couldn't get enough.  it's 100 minutes long and flies by.  not to mention it has likable characters and about 50 famous quotes.

to me, it's also about the setting.  i've dragged my wife to see so many old movies when they show them at theaters out here, and she loves almost every one.  but getting her to watch at home isn't the same.  she gets distracted, tunes out, or if the lights are off, she falls asleep (which for her age, is not ok).  i'm sure a lot of people here in their 20's/30's are the same way.  shit, i've gone and seen recent classics like the princess bride and rain man in theaters and got a completely new experience out of it.  do it.

i have a buddy who works in film development but i make fun of him because he isn't the student of film that someone in his position really should be.  i dragged him kicking and screaming to go see lawrence of arabia at the arclight.  it was so long it had a fucking intermission.  he was genuinely thankful, and now is obsessed with that movie.  zero chance that type of thing happens at home.

tl;dr:

1. watch casablanca if you haven't seen it.  your wife/girlfriend will love it too

2. find out what theaters in your city play old movies, and make an effort (after covid) to get to the theater.  

3. get over the black and white thing.  after 10 minutes you won't even notice.  jesus christ.

My theory about Casablanca is arches. Everyone loves arches, and Ricks is fucking chock full of 'em...

I'm gonna create a basement space for a family with a theater, wet bar, den, wine cellar, and I'm gonna go arches ... arches everywhere, big and fat with dramatic up lighting.

• Like 1

My theory about Casablanca is arches. Everyone loves arches, and Ricks is fucking chock full of 'em... I'm gonna create a basement space for a family with a theater, wet bar, den, wine cellar, and I'm gonna go arches ... arches everywhere, big and fat with dramatic up lighting.
a8af8238f51ae46e92ae3bf43bff8daf.jpg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tantric superman said:

I think the biggest thing going for watching old movies now is that thanks to remastered and restored prints, they all look good.  I watched lots of old movies in the late 80s and 90s on absolutely shit VHS (???)  and they were truly terrible.

This. A lot of the old stuff you watched on crappy, low definition TV has been remastered in 4k and looks amazing. Black and white films in ultra high def look incredible.

Which part, where the guys you dated ordered you to watch the movie? (j/k)
I get opinions differ on movies, fine, but that review was a a fucking ridiculous navel gazing look at me piece of shit.  No one gives a shit about your dating history, pussycat, or how those mean boys "ordered" you to watch a movie they thought was great.  The horror!  And then, of course, let's throw in some sexism to body armor your opinion. Fuck you.
I don't watch Pitch Perfect and think, "You know I don't see any middle aged white guys singing teams, so clearly the movie just isn't trying to connect with people."  So don't go watch a movie about turn of the century oil drillers and expect to see a white, entitled 20 something woman writer equally represented. 
I think the movie is a masterpiece.  I'm all good if you don't agree, opinions differ.   But fuck her dumb review.

There actually is a middle aged (mostly) white guy team in Pitch Perfect.

This. A lot of the old stuff you watched on crappy, low definition TV has been remastered in 4k and looks amazing. Black and white films in ultra high def look incredible.

Film has almost always been higher resolution than TV. It’s just that now TVs can do film justice.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, lateshow said:

I've never seen Dude Where's My Car all the way through.

I used to have the same problem, but I wanted to find out why Linda's clit was in her throat.  It was a big plot hole for the movie, they could have had he as some child of some Nazi/Japanese experiments and that would have added a lot of depth to the story.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I still haven't seen Lawrence of Arabia. It was on TCM last weekend but after weeks inside I couldn't convince myself to 4 hours in front of the TV. I've gotta see it at a Paramount or Drafthouse screening someday.

Years ago TCM had a campaign promoting letter-box (wide-screen) versions of movies instead of pan and scan (square box) versions of movies.

Someone said something like "When you pan and scan Lawrence of Arabia, you lose the desert."

Now that we have wide screen TV's, that isn't really a problem, but it is still better to see it in a theater.

9 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Why? I didn't even know this was a thing. I have a hard time with most silent movies, but I never had much of an issue with B&W. Does that mean you won't watch things like The Twilight Zone or the good Andy Griffith episodes (fucking Howard)?

Not sure, we always had a color TV growing up and I can remember asking my mom wtf Gilligan's Island was in B&W one day and she said I didn't like it and turned it off.  Colorized B&W is even worse.  No TZ or AG, nope

Blame my dad I guess he was a pro bowler and won a color TV in a tournament circa 1963 CSB

1 hour ago, mulletpelini said:

Blame my dad I guess he was a pro bowler and won a color TV in a tournament circa 1963 CSB

That ain't it as I was born 27 years after that and I love me a good B&W. It was probably fucking Gilligan that ruined entertainment for you. At least you had the good sense at an early age to know...

mtmpu.jpg

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

So I just started watching the Graduate again on Amazon Prime.

That dude ain't no track star.

Plus, the Song of Silence - pretty sad next to 110th Street....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Q-3OENegc

and Remind Me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H02iwWCrXew

Edited by tantric superman

On 4/22/2020 at 10:13 AM, Go Pokes said:

Some people aren't big movie fans. 

I made the " I always wanted to see Montana" remark around a group of co-workers the other day and they chuckled, save for one guy who later asked me why Montana was so important to me.

Holy furk, dude...you've never seen The Hunt For Red Oktober?

Blank stare...

I get it that everyone hasn't seen EVERY movie, but there are some that seem almost impossible NOT to have been seen.

15 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

One of those horrible 50's 60's flicks on TCM right now Seven Days In May. Classic Cold War cinema.  Shit ............. never mind.... it's in black&white.

That is a great movie.....color snob.

Takes much more skill to photograph and light a B&W movie.

Watch closer.

I posted this in the unpopular opinions thread where it probably belongs, but I've never seen the appeal of Blues Brothers and have never been able to watch more than 90 seconds of it. If you told me tomorrow "watching Blues Brothers is the only cure for COVID", I'd say "I'll take my chances with my immune system, thanks". 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I posted this in the unpopular opinions thread where it probably belongs, but I've never seen the appeal of Blues Brothers and have never been able to watch more than 90 seconds of it. If you told me tomorrow "watching Blues Brothers is the only cure for COVID", I'd say "I'll take my chances with my immune system, thanks". 

That's something an Illinois Nazi would say. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

That ain't it as I was born 27 years after that and I love me a good B&W. It was probably fucking Gilligan that ruined entertainment for you. At least you had the good sense at an early age to know...

mtmpu.jpg

Wait a second here.  You're only 30?  

3 hours ago, tantric superman said:

So I just started watching the Graduate again on Amazon Prime.

That dude ain't no track star.

Plus, the Song of Silence - pretty sad next to 110th Street....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Q-3OENegc

and Remind Me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H02iwWCrXew

Ivy league track star.  And you know he ran long distances.  

So after watching it again, did you realize the error of your ways and how completely 100% wrong you were about The Graduate?  Or are you a complete fucking moron who should be banned from ever posting in a Surly movie thread unless it's about Adam Sandler movies?  Those are the only two choices by the way.  

15 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Heil Ditka!  I think The Blues Brothers is unwatchable as well.  But what do I know?  I think Big Trouble In Little China is ridiculously bad.  

I don't think people think of Big Trouble as a "classic" in the sense the OP meant "classic". But you've also at least seen it, so you might be in the wrong thread anyway. 

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Other shitty B&W movies: 

Dr. Strangelove

Psycho

Last Picture Show

The Hustler

Elephant Man

Manhattan

Maltese Falcon

The Hustler

Treasure of Sierra Madre

A Face In The Crowd

Manchurian Candidate

Failsafe

Key Largo

The Human Strain

Grapes Of Wrath

The Razors Edge

Schindlers List

Young Frankenstein

Some Like It Hot

Paths Of Glory

From Here To Eternity

Sands Of Iwo Jima

only the brave

etc, etc, etc, ad infinitum........

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I don't think people think of Big Trouble as a "classic" in the sense the OP meant "classic". But you've also at least seen it, so you might be in the wrong thread anyway. 

Yeah I know, but there are a shitload of posters here who love the shit out of that movie.  It's a Surly cult classic, and I think it's stupid as fuck.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Ivy league track star.  And you know he ran long distances.  

So after watching it again, did you realize the error of your ways and how completely 100% wrong you were about The Graduate?  Or are you a complete fucking moron who should be banned from ever posting in a Surly movie thread unless it's about Adam Sandler movies?  Those are the only two choices by the way.  

Only made it to Mrs. Robinson's house.  She's pouring him a drink.  Dude is wired tight and needs to relax.Will watch the rest when I can.  Don't really remember the plot.

Speaking of Sandler, Punch Drunk Love is better than any Mike Nichols film ever made.

3 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Only made it to Mrs. Robinson's house.  She's pouring him a drink.  Dude is wired tight and needs to relax.Will watch the rest when I can.  Don't really remember the plot.

Speaking of Sandler, Punch Drunk Love is better than any Mike Nichols film ever made.

You're veering dangerously close to out right troll status.  

Well if you don’t like blues music, I guess I’d understand. It is in the title. But it’s a masterpiece and a great example of seamlessly mixing genres (musical/comedy/action) from a great 80’s director John Landis (American Werewolf in London).

The script is tight.
Great ending going from the Show, epic car chase to Chicago, to Jailhouse Rock.
Has a great cast, including Belushi in his prime.
It led to a revival of blues.
It spoofed car chases but paid homage to them by employing more stunt drivers than any movie in history.

But if you don’t like the Blues, dry humor, or physical comedy, I guess I see your point.

But the best medicine is to catch it at a movie theater that serves alcohol.

Well if you don’t like blues music, I guess I’d understand. It is in the title. But it’s a masterpiece and a great example of seamlessly mixing genres (musical/comedy/action) from a great 80’s director John Landis (American Werewolf in London).

The script is tight.
Great ending going from the Show, epic car chase to Chicago, to Jailhouse Rock.
Has a great cast, including Belushi in his prime.
It led to a revival of blues.
It spoofed car chases but paid homage to them by employing more stunt drivers than any movie in history.

But if you don’t like the Blues, dry humor, or physical comedy, I guess I see your point.

But the best medicine is to catch it at a movie theater that serves alcohol.

5 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

LOL.  This is some Michael Knight John Hughes sucks level trolling here.  

On 4/21/2020 at 7:17 PM, Beau Vine said:

Interesting series by theGuardian.com: https://www.theguardian.com/film/series/the-classic-film-ive-never-seen

I actually completely agreed with the There Will Be Blood review.

Lawrence of Arabia.  I tried.  I just couldn't get through it.  Citizen Kane.  There's a bunch I haven't seen.

Maybe not "classics" The Exorcist, The Big Chill (coudn't get through it)