The classic film I've never seen

Beau Vine

Nichols has two movies on this excellent list.

Paul Thomas Anderson (Punch Drunk Love) has four.

Kubrick has 11. 

https://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films_table.php

Granted, the Graduate is in the 200s and Punch Drunk is in the 400s.  And yeah granted I didn't word my opinion that the Graduate was a "relatively" low entry in the greatest of classic movies very carefully. 

But Nichols isn't any Kubrick or Paul Thomas Anderson, and if the purpose of this thread is to come up with ideas for discovering great classic movies, I still prefer the "great director" approach.

I watch Bridge over the River Kwai whenever it's on.  Dr. Zhivago and Lawrence - beautiful movies, but they are a chore.  Especially Zhivago.  Passage to India - Gaa!

Sometimes you are in the mood for an epic.

But you're always in the mood for laughing at crazy British officer hijinks and killing Japs.

25 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

"It's like Africa hot." -- oft quoted line between me and my wife in the summer.

"ho what?  ho nothing" is one of my favorite exchanges that has made it's way into occasional usage.

punch-drunk love is good, but overrated by self-proclaimed movie snobs like you.  this is known.  mike nichols has 8-10 really good movies and some personal favorites.  primary colors is underrated.  so is wolf.  charlie wilson's war is great.  working girl is great.  i'm not calling them all classics (like the graduate), but give me a break with your punch-drunk nonsense.

16 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

You shut your whore mouth.

I was being sarcastic, know sometimes it's a hard medium to picking that up but I love Dr. Strangelove, big Peter Sellers fan.  

13 minutes ago, Loco said:

I haven't seen Titanic.  Not a big deal, but when it came out and people were ranting about it, they'd get vocal about my refusal to see it.  I would just tell them I was waiting for the sequel.

Had no intentions on watching it when it was released but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, thought Leo was fantastic in it.  

3 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I posted this in the unpopular opinions thread where it probably belongs, but I've never seen the appeal of Blues Brothers and have never been able to watch more than 90 seconds of it. If you told me tomorrow "watching Blues Brothers is the only cure for COVID", I'd say "I'll take my chances with my immune system, thanks". 

These three think you should "curl up and dye"

Curl Up & Dye. The Blues Brothers hanging with Carrie Fisher, 1979.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I was being sarcastic, know sometimes it's a hard medium to picking that up but I love Dr. Strangelove, big Peter Sellers fan.  

Had no intentions on watching it when it was released but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, thought Leo was fantastic in it.  

I'm a bit thick headed at times.  8-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

Only made it to Mrs. Robinson's house.  She's pouring him a drink.  Dude is wired tight and needs to relax.Will watch the rest when I can.  Don't really remember the plot.

Speaking of Sandler, Punch Drunk Love is better than any Mike Nichols film ever made.

I watched PDL a few weeks ago.  Made my wife watch it too.  I was surprised how shitty I found that movie to be on rewatch.  I remember thinking it was good when I saw it in the theater, but I really did not enjoy it the 2nd time around.   When it came out, I was in the midst of my movie snob phase and the less accessible a movie was, the more I was likely to like it.  I think I've changed over the past few decades.  I gotta remember that because I'm still apologizing to wife for making her watch it.  

3 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I posted this in the unpopular opinions thread where it probably belongs, but I've never seen the appeal of Blues Brothers and have never been able to watch more than 90 seconds of it. If you told me tomorrow "watching Blues Brothers is the only cure for COVID", I'd say "I'll take my chances with my immune system, thanks". 

The movie drags in parts...  but I love Blues, all the cameos, and the individual bits.   Watched with my kids when they were around 12-ish.   Asked them at the begining to guess how many cars get wrecked...  that added an extra laugh.   Also the crazy girl friend with the rocket launcher...

Orange Whip?

38 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Well 31 but I grew up in a house where TCM was always on.

Maybe it's your avatar pic or the fact that, if I'm not mistaken, you're a huge history buff who seems to know his shit as well as anybody on this site, but I've always thought you were old as shit.  At least pushing 60.  

24 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I watched PDL a few weeks ago.  Made my wife watch it too.  I was surprised how shitty I found that movie to be on rewatch.  I remember thinking it was good when I saw it in the theater, but I really did not enjoy it the 2nd time around.   When it came out, I was in the midst of my movie snob phase and the less accessible a movie was, the more I was likely to like it.  I think I've changed over the past few decades.  I gotta remember that because I'm still apologizing to wife for making her watch it.  

Likes Adam Sandler and Punch Drunk Love - movie snob phase

Likes The Graduate - non-movie snob phase.

Making anyone watch a Paul Thomas Anderson movie other than maybe Hard 8?  - seems a bit cruel.

Apologizing to wife for her shitty taste? - ??? 

57 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Just because I think a movie is better than the Graduate/Birdcage doesn't mean I'm overrating it. 

i've seen it overrated several times by folks other than you.  i think at the time, getting sandler to give a strong, if uneven, dramatic performance was seen as some sort of movie magic and must've required a brilliant director.  he's had better performances, and pta has missed as many shots as he's made.  it makes sense that he and kubrick are two of your favorites.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i think at the time, getting sandler to give a strong, if uneven, dramatic performance was seen as some sort of movie magic and must've required a brilliant director.

Hey, someone gives me Adam Sandler, I rif on Adam Sandler.  Poke mentioned it, and it reminded me how some people just automatically throw stuff into the classics.  Graduate has always seemed to me to be dated, but not in a good way. 

Maybe I'll change my mind.

36 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Likes Adam Sandler and Punch Drunk Love - movie snob phase

Likes The Graduate - non-movie snob phase.

Making anyone watch a Paul Thomas Anderson movie other than maybe Hard 8?  - seems a bit cruel.

Apologizing to wife for her shitty taste? - ??? 

PDL doesn't seem like a very accessible movie, unlike The Graduate.  That pretty much sums up PTA though as well.  He's definitely the sweet spot for movie snobs.  I got the wife to watch The French Connection last weekend and she let me watch 45 minutes of Patton last night while she did a puzzle and never once told me to turn it to something else.  That's considered a win in my house.  

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

Other shitty B&W movies: 

Dr. Strangelove

Psycho

Last Picture Show

The Hustler

Elephant Man

Manhattan

Maltese Falcon

The Grapes of Wrath

Of Mice and Men

Key Largo

In Harm's Way

From Here to Eternity

Sunset Boulevard

Stalag 17

One, Two, Three

I can do this all day...

Edited by RPM
d'oh

43 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

Love One, Two, Three.  It should be in the dictionary when you look up underrated. 

Or undiscovered.  I saw it about 8 years ago just out of the blue and knew nothing about it.

In three years, he realeased Some Like it Hot, the Apartment and One Two Three.  And I had always heard so much about the first two.  But One Two Three is so damn good. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Maybe it's your avatar pic or the fact that, if I'm not mistaken, you're a huge history buff who seems to know his shit as well as anybody on this site, but I've always thought you were old as shit.  At least pushing 60.  

Yeah might be the avatar and the fact that my parents are a bit...odd. A normal night was watching a Nigel Rathbone Sherlock Holmes flick and a normal vacation was hitting up 2 or 3 Civil War sites and a handful of mueums. I loved it, but my siblings weren't big fans and both ended up in coaching.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BornOrange said:

The Best Years of Our Lives - A must see on Veteran's Day

Is it?  I tried watching it about 30 years ago when I was trying to watch every Best Picture winner.  All I remember about the movie is the guy with no hands was such a terrible actor (I know the backstory) that is was distracting.  

2 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Is it?  I tried watching it about 30 years ago when I was trying to watch every Best Picture winner.  All I remember about the movie is the guy with no hands was such a terrible actor (I know the backstory) that is was distracting.  

Yeah, he wasn't an actor....but he was better than a trained actor would have been trying to pull a Lt. Dan with the technology of the time.

The scene when he showed his fiance what his nightly routine consisted of, how he was totally dependent on someone else helping him, is one of the most touching in movie history.

• Like 3

On 4/22/2020 at 9:07 AM, Red Five said:

The Graduate? Cool Hand Luke, The Hustler, Butch Cassidy. These are some of the best movies ever made and you should feel bad if you haven't seen them. 

Never seen any of these. Don’t have any interest to see any of them. 

• Fuck You 1

Mike Nichols was a good director with  his ability to inject humor into moments of real humanity. He drew the best out of his actors. John Hughes wasn't a pimple on the ass of Mike Nichols.

Also Paul Thomas Anderson movies are beautifully shot its just that his last few movies he kind of forgot how to end them. He needs to rediscover narrative

Edited by Michael Knight

I watched North by Northwest for the first time tonight.  Pretty good.  It starts out Kafkaesque and then the 3rd act reminded me of a Bond movie.  I googled North by Northwest first Bond movie and see that many other people have had the same thought.  I had seen the famous running from the plane scene of course but I also enjoyed the glorification of drunk driving and the chase on top of Mt Rushmore. 

Eve Marie Saint was a bit of a tramp but I guess it was part of the job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr. sunshine said:

I hear you. We’ve been on family vacations before and passed by the Grand Canyon, Mount Rushmore, Niagara Falls, etc. Wouldn’t even strain my neck to look at that shit 

You need to find the "National park I've never seen" thread to post that in.