Boise State Furloughs Coaches.

SHOOTER12

Boise State has notified coaches and university staff that anyone making over $40k a year to be furloughed.

Boise State University President Marlene Tromp emailed university staff and faculty on Monday to announce that any employees making $40,000 a year or more would be asked to take furloughs. The Idaho Statesman confirmed today that that directive includes football coaches.

“The economic toll of this pandemic has been felt by every college and university across our nation, with public institutions experiencing the hardest hit because of our smaller operating reserves and endowments, and larger populations of students with financial need,” Tromp wrote, via The Arbiter.

Full story at:

www.thespin.com

Edited by SHOOTER12

They may be the first, but I'm guessing  they wont be the last, amongst mid majors anyway. Athletic department's are probably staring at some bleak projections for profit/loss. Their total revenue is around $50 million and a good chunk of that comes from ticket sales. Boise is fucked if college football ticket revenue is significantly impacted next season. And they are probably the most successful G5 school in the country in football.

Quote from the conference commisioner:

“If there’s no college football this fall, there’s very little likelihood there will be any other sports because 85% of revenue derived in college athletics comes from the sport of football,” Thompson said.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/mountain-west/boise-state-university/boise-state-football/article242155541.html

• Like 1

Not as bad as it seems for coaches...

"Boise State football coach Bryan Harsin has led the Broncos to three Mountain West championships in six seasons. He’s required to take 10 furlough days this year."  Two weeks of salary for Harsin is about $63,000.

The majority of Boise State’s football coaches make more than $150,000 annually and will fall into the highest tier of furlough days at 10. Recently hired running backs coach Winston Venable will be required to take seven days. Furloughed employees aren’t allowed to perform any work when they’re off.

Edited by LTtxfan

Interesting that the Boise State furlough is during the summer, when rank-and-file faculty are not on contract, so they're not affected.

I'm expecting to take a 10-20% cut in salary when TxSt announces a "furlough" even though I won't actually get any time off.  

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:
He’s required to take 10 furlough days this year."  Two weeks of salary for Harsin is about $63,000.

The majority of Boise State’s football coaches make more than $150,000 annually and will fall into the highest tier of furlough days at 10. Recently hired running backs coach Winston Venable will be required to take seven days. Furloughed employees aren’t allowed to perform any work when they’re off.

Would someone please explain to me why that's the right thing to do?

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Would someone please explain to me why that's the right thing to do?

I'd guess average Joes are bitching that they are unable to work and get paid, so why should university employees who aren't working (at least their full jobs) get paid their full salaries. It has merit, though I don't necessarily agree that this is the way to go about it.

54 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I'd guess average Joes are bitching that they are unable to work and get paid, so why should university employees who aren't working (at least their full jobs) get paid their full salaries. It has merit, though I don't necessarily agree that this is the way to go about it.

Maybe because the average Joes don't have a contract?  I can't imagine they could legally force a furlough without jeopardizing their hefty endowment.

7 minutes ago, dec3169 said:

Maybe because the average Joes don't have a contract?  I can't imagine they could legally force a furlough without jeopardizing their hefty endowment.

too late to edit.

I like how Boise's HR FAQ says employees with a contract are still subject to a furlough based on the Board of Education's policies and procedures.

Contracts are issued “subject to” the State Board of Education’s policies and procedures. 

Employees may have their salaries reduced through furlough or work hour adjustments as provided for in Section II.B. of Idaho State Board Governing Policies and Procedures.

I'm not a contract lawyer but unless their contract specifically says they can be furloughed without pay I don't think a court would care about the Board of Education policies.

Maybe Harsin could use this as a way to get out of his contract and go to a real school?

2 minutes ago, dec3169 said:

too late to edit.

I like how Boise's HR FAQ says employees with a contract are still subject to a furlough based on the Board of Education's policies and procedures.

I'm not a contract lawyer but unless their contract specifically says they can be furloughed without pay I don't think a court would care about the Board of Education policies.

Maybe Harsin could use this as a way to get out of his contract and go to a real school?

Hardin left the nest and didn’t like the results.  He’s a Boise lifer at this point IMO.

23 minutes ago, dec3169 said:

I was just answering the question as to why Boise might do this. I am not arguing the merits.

24 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I was just answering the question as to why Boise might do this. I am not arguing the merits.

Oh for sure.  Didn't mean to imply otherwise.  I just finished reading about the Karens calling the NYC snitch line and realized the same people would probably bitch about stuff like this.

On the plus side, if you haven't seen some of the pics sent to that tip line, have a look

I think the odds are pretty good that someone on here sent one of the pics - watch the video at the top of the linked article and you'll know which one I'm talking about.

Edited by dec3169
missed a word

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

I work at a university and I don't know a single person here who's not currently working.  Hell, I'm working more hours than I was before. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I work at a university and I don't know a single person here who's not currently working.  Hell, I'm working more hours than I was before. 

One of my clients is an SEC university who is still hiring a shit ton of professors/postdocs for the fall.  Business as usual, just from home. 

8 minutes ago, Ellellelle said:
22 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I work in human research and somehow have an increased workload.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Js1 said:

One of my clients is an SEC university who is still hiring a shit ton of professors/postdocs for the fall.  Business as usual, just from home. 

Is that somewhere fancy like Vandy?

Bama will probably furlough its entire faculty and double Saban's salary as a retention bonus.

On 4/22/2020 at 12:24 PM, Beau Vine said:

That certainly depends on the institution and their approach to everything.