TxTag - collections

Hi there was trying to get a read on how I should approach getting a TxTag notice for late fees and collection fees removed. They sent the bill to a previous apartment I was no longer in (2017) at the time of my use (2018) and had already bought the place I’m in now.

It was a $1.45 toll, but with late fees it’s now $16, and with collections they say it’s a total of $80. This is the first piece of mail I ever received about it. Has anyone successfully pushed back against late fees when talking to customer service? If not I’ll pay the 16, but I really don’t see the point in paying the collection fee as I kept my registration current the entire time and it looks like they sent notice to where the address for title was listed.Will collections due anything of serious note if I pay the actual amount owed and not the collection fee?

I successfully got the "fees"(collection agency add ons) removed when I called them(not the collection company but TxTag directly).  They sent the notices to my old address and I never received them.  At the time the collection agency said not to contact TxTag directly, but I did anyway and they removed the fees.   From my understanding that is one of the few ways that you can get out of it.  I "owed" about $400 on about $8 in tolls.  After that I just got the TxTag that goes on my windshield to be done with it in the future.  There is a post on TOS that i detailed the experience. 

Edited by 1978horn
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 7:20 PM, 1978horn said:

I successfully got the "fees"(collection agency add ons) removed when I called them(not the collection company but TxTag directly).  They sent the notices to my old address and I never received them.  At the time the collection agency said not to contact TxTag directly, but I did anyway and they removed the fees.   From my understanding that is one of the few ways that you can get out of it.  I "owed" about $400 on about $8 in tolls.  After that I just got the TxTag that goes on my windshield to be done with it in the future.  There is a post on TOS that i detailed the experience. 

Yea I had this work once for me but I have had others say they got told to pound sand when calling. 

Finally had a short hold time with customer service and told them about how I used the mopac toll once in 2018, but notices kept getting sent to address from 2017. She asked for my account number and politely told me she only saw a  $2.60 charge. I lost my shit in a good way, said I saw a 86 dollar charge on my paper bill but I’ll check again online. I’ll be damned if this time there was only a $1.15 charge for the toll and $1.45 for collections. The extra late charges of about 15 dollars did not need to be paid and the extra 68 dollars for the collection fee were nowhere to be found on the page.

So I just paid $2.60 and am hoping this washes my hands clean. I just hope there aren’t any older or computer illiterate who rush to pay whatever paper bill they get without looking online for options before like me.

53 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Finally had a short hold time with customer service and told them about how I used the mopac toll once in 2018, but notices kept getting sent to address from 2017. She asked for my account number and politely told me she only saw a  $2.60 charge. I lost my shit in a good way, said I saw a 86 dollar charge on my paper bill but I’ll check again online. I’ll be damned if this time there was only a $1.15 charge for the toll and $1.45 for collections. The extra late charges of about 15 dollars did not need to be paid and the extra 68 dollars for the collection fee were nowhere to be found on the page.

So I just paid $2.60 and am hoping this washes my hands clean. I just hope there aren’t any older or computer illiterate who rush to pay whatever paper bill they get without looking online for options before like me.

They do.  I'm guessing that's their hope.

• 3 months later...

Got another late fee invoice on my zero balance!

Have made it a point not to drive on the toll road since January because of this shit.  Since I was on hold for an hour, I had the time to type up complaint emails to TxDOT, my State Rep & Senator.  I know none of it will do any good.

The next legislative session starts next January.  Time to defund TxDOT for this TxTag debacle.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Now I got a collection fee on my late fee on me ZERO balance!  JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

I emailed my Rep. Donna Howard and got a response they were too busy to deal with me.

Jan. 12, start of the legislative session.  I may have to go be an irritant.

- What it does is, every time there's a bank transaction where interest is computed, you know, thousands a day, the computer ends up with these fractions of a cent, which it usually rounds off.

- What this does is, it takes those little remainders and puts it into an account.

- This sounds familiar. -Yeah, they did it in Superman III.

adda7ba1-c2bb-42e4-9f76-05606bc7b20e_scr

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a stupid husband.  My wife gets txtag statements.  Just saw this thread and then remembered one came earlier this week.

Guess who has been ignoring her mail?

I just paid it, and I'm putting the reciept in her christmas stocking.  $56. On what looks to me like $13 worth of tolls.

How hard is it to just set up the $20 auto-debit when your credit balance falls below a threshold?

Edited by BearSchlong

It’s very easy. Login to their site and set up the auto-renewal.

Whether it matters is an entirely different question. We have tags, there’s always money in the account, and we still get a bill every couple months because the cameras apparently didn’t detect the tags and the computers didn’t realize that our license plates were on file. Fucking infuriating. I’d say about 4 out of 5 times, the first bill we receive is a late notice. One time, the first bill I received was allegedly the third or fourth late notice...something like $70 for a $5 toll.

I've been using the Houston toll roads since the first one opened.  I've never had it fail to read my toll tag. There have been a few times when for one reason or another my toll tag wasn't in the car.  I received a bill in the mail and never had it claim to be the 3rd, 4th, or 5th notice when it wasn't.  I think y'alls wives are fucking up and blaming it on the toll authority.  

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2020 at 11:34 AM, Horn_Spanker said:

Now I got a collection fee on my late fee on me ZERO balance!  JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

I emailed my Rep. Donna Howard and got a response they were too busy to deal with me.

Jan. 12, start of the legislative session.  I may have to go be an irritant.

Finally, 47 days later and 12 phone calls, they cleared my account!  Fuck them and TxDOT too!

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 year later...

I fought CTMA once on a 45 cent toll that TXTag failed to read. I got the notice in the mail for $1.45 , which included a dollar fee for not using txtag. I got busy and after a month of ignoring it, it grew to $16.45.
I ended up fighting it with both CTMA and TXTag, because they blame each other. In the end it was not worth my time, but I got it down to 45 cents and made it painful so they’d fix their shit. It’s bad y’all; fbar operation.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/29/2021 at 10:45 PM, William_Cannon said:

I fought CTMA once on a 45 cent toll that TXTag failed to read. I got the notice in the mail for $1.45 , which included a dollar fee for not using txtag. I got busy and after a month of ignoring it, it grew to $16.45.
I ended up fighting it with both CTMA and TXTag, because they blame each other. In the end it was not worth my time, but I got it down to 45 cents and made it painful so they’d fix their shit. It’s bad y’all; fbar operation.

I'm dealing with this stupid shit right now, too. I have a txtag. CTMA keeps sending me a pay-by-mail bill to my email for ~$15 for a $0.68 toll charge from October. They have yet to charge me additional fees - so I was wondering whether I even need to pay it or not. But then I see that these fuckheads will send paltry sums like that to collections sometimes. 

I guess I'll just call them and bitch about it until they let me pay the $0.68. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I'm dealing with this stupid shit right now, too. I have a txtag. CTMA keeps sending me a pay-by-mail bill to my email for ~$15 for a $0.68 toll charge from October. They have yet to charge me additional fees - so I was wondering whether I even need to pay it or not. But then I see that these fuckheads will send paltry sums like that to collections sometimes. 

I guess I'll just call them and bitch about it until they let me pay the $0.68. 

Ditch the TxTag and get an EZ Tag or Tolltag. HCTA and NTTA have their shit together. CTMA sent me a bill for a toll on 290 last year with a $20 penalty on it even though I have an EZ Tag. I submitted a help ticket through the EZ Tag website and it was taken care of within the week.