Patriot - Amazon Series

F250

Has anyone seen this series? I just started season two and I am really digging it. I am a little surprised how under the radar the show stayed because it is really good.

So many likeable characters on the show. I can't remember the last time I watched a show where I nearly liked every character. It probably helps that a lot of people are written as odd but genuinely good people.

The music is good too and I really appreciate the songs John sings in the show, I am a fan of Folk music. The use of song to narrate the story is pretty unique and funny.

Dennis crying about losing his finger was hilarious considering how dark the situation they were in.

The Beastie Boys references mixed in are great as well.

I am not familiar with the actor that plays John Lakeman but he does a great job of being morose and occasionally pulling it back for a moment with a quick smile and saying "cool". It really sells the character's internal struggles.

• Like 1

It was talked about in the Amazon thread. I didn't realize they cancelled it until you made me just look it up. 

It's a great show. Another example of people not being able to follow the subtle, brilliant writing and acting, so it gets cancelled. Dammit. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

It was talked about in the Amazon thread. I didn't realize they cancelled it until you made me just look it up. 

It's a great show. Another example of people not being able to follow the subtle, brilliant writing and acting, so it gets cancelled. Dammit. 

Very underrated show.

The writing and acting is brilliant and the direction of the show is subtle. It took me awhile to pick up on all the different aspects of depression that were being addressed. The show could go really dark and then throw out something like "Double Great" and pull out of the darkness for a bit.

Really thought the concept of same-sex nonsexual cuddling was brilliant. Initially it was a weird joke when Ichabod brought it up then by the time it circles back at the end it is a pretty deep concept.

The show had so many characters and they all made an important contribution to the story. Even characters I expected to be used for filler turned out to be big contributors despite having small roles. Not a single side story was a waste of time. It takes really great writing to pull that off.

I'm going to rewatch it because I expect there were a lot of subtle things I missed out on in the beginning of the show.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
On 6/18/2022 at 10:36 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

I'm four episodes in and this show is absolutely amazing. 

I love this show and have since become a fan of Michael Dorman. Currently watching Joe Pickett and he is great in For All Mankind.

Finished it up last night. Has a Wes Anderson vibe for sure. So many great callbacks in the show like the jellyfish problem. And I love the repeating jokes like everyone talking at the urinal or that Leslie and Tom refer to each other by name in every sentence when they talk to each other.

And for the record, yes, the Luxembourg detective would get it. However, she would have to wait until I was finished with Lakeman's wife. 

• 1 year later...

One of my favorite shows of all time.  It's really a show about father-son-brother releationships.  Texas country ethics thrown into European and Middle Eastern war politics through a Wes Anderson lens.  And great music.

On 6/21/2022 at 9:47 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

I loved that series  I even took a break from some Bach stuff(classical guitar) I was working on to learn the Vashti Bunyan open credits song (Train song)

FYI the Vasgtu Bunyan song is also the song playing during the Dadario tit scene in True Detective Season 1 Eposode 2.