Windows Security can't remove a virus

Side bar, how are the account profiles setup on your home machine?

Hopefully you have accounts with limited install capabilities that everyone uses, including yourself. Then, you have an admin account, rarely used and never for general web surfing, and turn off any guest type accounts.

8 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Malwarebytes is a great program for removal.  You might have to download to a thumb drive from another computer if your Trojan won't allow download on the infected machine.

You can name it explorer.exe for the download (or at least that used to work). 

• 2 weeks later...

Just boot into safe mode with networking. Download/upgrade and run malwarebytes. It will get rid of 99% of shit. If that does't work, go to Bleeping Computer and a mod will walk you thru a root kit scan or something like that, free of charge. They'll get you up and running.

Anybody who has a computer with important shit on it should clone their hard drive onto an equal or larger drive. If the hard drive goes out, which it will, you just pop the new one in. Your computer won't know the difference. About to do that. Turns out the WD black I've ordered (500gb) for $45 is faster than the one I'm using. There is s/w that will update the clone, or you can just keep the folders on your machine backed up. Windows robocopy command is amazing. Use it with Task scheduler. But be careful. Once it's set, your gold.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

This might give you some ideas: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4490115/windows-change-or-reset-your-password

The whole purpose of a password is so that somebody can't get into your computer. Changing passwords without the password looks tricky. If it was easy to reset, it would defeat the purpose. The link mentions that some newer builds of windows 10 have a password clue. that can help you. I keep my password simple and lower case, but then I don't have to worry about others trying to get into it. Check your caps lock key, but that probably isn't it. Since you have some kind of virus, I'd just try Bleeping Computer. Tell 'em exactly what's going on. They've bailed me out a couple of times. But it always starts with the procedures I outlined above.

BAsed on the link above, you can nuke your machine and start over. If that was the only choice I had left, I'd spend twenty dollars and get the kit that allows you to remove your hard drive, power it up and attach it to another computer via the USB port. Then I'd copy all of the files I needed to save from the various directories (not windows operating files, just pics and documents). Then you reinstall windows from scratch and have to reload your programs, like your browsers etc. You'll end up with a faster, cleaner machine.

Somewhere in this thread are the instructions for going to a microsoft site and downloading a free version of windows.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/684315/diagnostics-says-its-the-hard-drive-what-are-my-options/page-2

I did this when I lost a hard drive. I put in a new one (the first new one was fucked up), but with a good drive it will go without any hiccups. Your machine will supply the product key and windows will recognize that it is in the same machine it came with. I think this will get rid of the virus as well, but you might want to ask some real experts about that. Try the experts at Bleeping first if you can't remember your password.

BTW, Macrium Reflect is the free cloning software I use in my comment up a couple.

What "administrative stuff" are you talking about? Changing the password. There's only one that I know of, it's the one that gets you into the computer. Although you might have set up a microsoft account, which it turns out is bullshit. Google how to get rid of that shit. I recall doing something like that on this Win 10 machine. It only took a minute, so I forgot about it. A fucking Microsoft account doesn't need to be any part of your getting into your own machine. You don't have to delete your account to do it either. Fuck their cloud bullshit as well.

1. Are you sure you correctly tried to change your password? Start>Settings>Account. From there it depends if your login in the MS account password or if it's local to your machine. If local, then you can try to "Sign in with MS Account instead". Or if you are MS Account, you can reset your password which will take you to a MS website to change the password. You can also reset your MS password if you are signing in Local.

Or you can go into MS website, set your new password. Then change your laptop/PC to log into with MS Account pass and use new pass. OR if local, then sing in with MS account and type in new password.

2. You can re-install Windows which is very easy. Just need access to another PC and a >5GB USB stick. If you're on Win10, you can go to the website to install Win media to USB stick. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then insert USB stick into your corrupted laptop and it will reinstall Win10. This will wipe your computer so everything will be lost. Which leads us to 3.

3. If you need to access files off your pc, then you need to know when type of HD you have: SATA SSD/HDD vs M.2 (PCI or SATA). Then you need to buy a USB to XXX cable. Remove HD from PC, connect to another PC using cable and then download your files.

HOWEVER, I would be careful since your HD has AIDS and may infect the computer you are connecting to.