2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

Just now, HouTex said:

Watching the Weather Channel and the reading the most current forecast from the National Weather Service/Hurricane center you wonder what TWC is smoking. People, ignore TwC and read the updates at weather.gov.

Correct

So now it looks like the 'canes are flipping a little bit, now Laura is heading more West while Marcos goes more East. Marco looks to stay around 1 or mild 2 range while Laura could get to a 3 or even a 4. I'm more worried about Laura as a bad storm than Marcod.

<sigh> that's per usual, looking like Austin will be on the west side of these things which means nothing but more heat as the hurricane pulls in hot dry air from the southwest over us.

However, I'm keeping an eye on Laura especially.

Edited by phdhorn

Glad this shifted off of us, feel horrible for those that are going to be impacted. It’s such a shitty time of the year. You hope for a miss, but for every miss some neighbor down the road gets hammered because you got skipped this time. It f-ing sucks and we’re just getting started.

• Hook 'Em 1

All of the models this morning have it going into Louisiana Wednesday evening as Cat 1, but the 6z HMON now wants to try out the worst case scenario for Houston on Thursday morning.

We will know by the end of the day today.  

EDIT: We will know BETTER... lol

image.thumb.png.decadff05ead16e01f2258d163e8e1e6.png

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

Hate and I live in the same neighborhood in The Woodlands. Don’t worry. I’ve got this. Got the generator out yesterday. Haven’t fired it up in too long. Carburetor all junked up. Ordered a new one that will be here today. I’ll get it running tonight. All the work to make sure the generator is working will make sure it stays east of us and we don’t need it. You’re welcome in advance. 🤣

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Euro is a nightmare scenario for Houston, but I need to see it do it a couple of runs in a row first. I do expect another shift west from NHC at 10. 

Agreed with this but the Euro isn't an outlier. Will be interesting to see what the GFS does in a couple of hours. 

UKMET takes it even further south, which might be what Houston needs and all we can hope for. 

17 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Even if it goes 30 miles west of Houston, isn’t that bad? That will put Houston on the bad side of the hurricane? And it’s expected to turn northeast once it hits land, thus back into Houston. Would need to go all the way to Corpus to spare Houston

At least Matagorda for sure. Not sure about all the way to Corpus, but yeah, 30 miles won't make a difference. Would have to be 60-100 miles. In fact, just slightly west could make it worse since the worst winds would be east of the center, so under this track those would be somewhat over Galveston and the bay and into Liberty County which is less populated. 30 miles west and those winds are over Fort Bend and western Harris and Montgomery Counties.

30 miles west would be good for the Ship Channel and eastern Harris, though. 

image.thumb.png.1fc659f4094d4511d6b13bc5d4347bda.png

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

There is a ridge of high pressure over the SE US right now which is why both Marco and Laura have stayed over the western half of the Gulf Coast.  The NHC is expecting that ridge of high pressure to weaken a little allowing Laura to turn more N/NE once she is in the GOM and close to making landfall.  It all depends on the strength of that ridge and it is not something they will likely know for sure until tomorrow. 

Edited by Hate

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

So Marco is pushing it further West ?

Marco is pulling the high pressure system that is over the SE US more towards the west, allowing the "alley" to move west.  I think the thought is that if Marco fizzles out over LA, it won't pull the alley that much more west, moving the storm up through Louisiana and away from Houston.

I've got corkscrew stakes with straps holding mine down but I'm not holding my breath. I told the kids to get a good jump on it this morning.

Make sure you run the straps all the way up to the frame (not the bottom of the legs).

5e92003252067501cb0e03ad-large.jpg?cache

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’m thinking about getting some stakes and trying to secure it that way, but if we get the 100+ MPH wind gusts that model was showing I’m not sure there is anything I can do to keep it in my yard.

Yeah, I’d get a rope and just hoist it in to your preferred spot in the nearest tree.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've got corkscrew stakes with straps holding mine down but I'm not holding my breath. I told the kids to get a good jump on it this morning.
Make sure you run the straps all the way up to the frame (not the bottom of the legs).

5e92003252067501cb0e03ad-large.jpg?cache_buster=959d0f254229a8e5f68d70b0f9a82696

I just ordered some of these through Amazon. They were supposed to arrive Thursday. I’m hoping that will be enough to cause Laura to head a little East, but it’s more likely I just doomed us all and my son’s trampoline will end up in Conroe somewhere.