2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

6 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Holy shit. 18z Euro operational. This is about as close to Houston as it could get and not be catastrophic.

On the other hand, 150 MPH gusts in all of Jefferson County and 191 MPH gusts somewhere in that gray zone, so sparing Houston isn't saying much. 

image.thumb.png.92676387e0cb8dfbab0bf93b17031812.png

A would not be feeling that great in Beaumont about now. 

3 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Tree limbs everywhere. No power anywhere in the city, even the gas stations and the grocery stores. So no ice. 

It was fucking miserable. 

y'all young ass whippersnappers.  that shit sucked balls during Alicia back in 83 too.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Actually pretty good news for Houston if the center is that far north. It's definitely moved north of west today. Had it stayed further south it would definitely be coming into Texas. 

image.png.e44a896034fb4e860b76b77ca310495f.png

Too early for that kind of talk. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Yup. That’s what I’m worried about. No power for multiple days. 

3 weeks for me and limbs piled taller than I am across the entire front of the property

Edited by WBT

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

We weren’t here yet for Ike but I got a buddy says he was without power for 19 days. I can’t stress enough how unappealing that sounds.

My buddy owned the old Anahuac duck hunting lodge down in Gilchrist it was a massive structure that could sleep something like 28 people.  Had two commercial refrigerators and all the setup you could ever want.  We used to throw so many amazing parties down there every year it was awesome.

Ike reduced down to the slab :(

9 minutes ago, tokamak said:

We weren’t here yet for Ike but I got a buddy says he was without power for 19 days. I can’t stress enough how unappealing that sounds.

I was here and my son was 1 month old at the time.  We were without power for 15 days.  What made it suck even more was the houses across the street had their power back after 5 days.  If it appears we are going to get more wind than currently forecast, I plan on buying a window unit tomorrow in case we do lose power.  We can hangout in our bedroom and at least sleep comfortably. 

• Like 1

I lived in the heights and was without power for 15 days. It wasn’t so bad because I was a bachelor (sort of, my girlfriend hadn’t moved up here from Brazil yet). Neighbor across the street had a lot of good seafood and steaks to eat before they were wasted. So for a few days I was eating better than normal. We also got lucky that a cold front passed through immediately after the storm. A lot less mosquitos than normal.

y'all young ass whippersnappers.  that shit sucked balls during Alicia back in 83 too.

I think I was a freshman at deer park high school (go big deer) during Alicia. It was a beast. After the water receded I remember we had power on our side of the block. We all ran extension cords across the street to the neighbors freezers. That doesn’t seem very safe looking back.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I lived in the heights and was without power for 15 days. It wasn’t so bad because I was a bachelor (sort of, my girlfriend hadn’t moved up here from Brazil yet). Neighbor across the street had a lot of good seafood and steaks to eat before they were wasted. So for a few days I was eating better than normal. We also got lucky that a cold front passed through immediately after the storm. A lot less mosquitos than normal.

Yeah, the first few days after Ike were kind of fun.  It was the next 10 or 11 that sucked.

• Like 1

I was in Vic for Harvey and had property in Rockport.

I was with out power for 8 or 9 days. That fucking sucked.

My neighbor had just bought their house when I did (I had only been there 2 months when Harvey hit) and he had this massive generator (previous owner installed) that would switch on immediately and power the whole house. It was the size of a small car. When he moved in we discussed it and it was worth 25k and we were both like “sell it and get that money for the redo” because he’d never need it.

Then Harvey hit and he was the only one with a/c and we were all jelly. He kept it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I was in Lake Jackson. stayed in Austin for 4-5 days after it hit then went home. no electricity, but the cold front made it nice. then it got hot. luckily we found a hotel room. it was another 2 weeks before we had electricity. like someone posted above, everyone across the street and most of the neighborhood had electricity a week and a half before I did.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 didn't fly today

43 is due back in lakeland in 2 hours, was in the eye over north cuba 90 minutes ago

49 did a survey of the bahamas, then a run up to key west and down and around the west end of cuba, but that was 4-5 hours ago before the eye congealed over cuba, then back and forth across the gulf 3 times before landing 30 minutes ago

i'm going to guess they sortie 42 at 0-dark-thirty and hit the eye at sunrise

11 hours ago, lonestarsooner said:

Hate and I live in the same neighborhood in The Woodlands. Don’t worry. I’ve got this. Got the generator out yesterday. Haven’t fired it up in too long. Carburetor all junked up. Ordered a new one that will be here today. I’ll get it running tonight. All the work to make sure the generator is working will make sure it stays east of us and we don’t need it. You’re welcome in advance. 🤣

New carburetor is in and installed. Generator humming like a champ. Guarantee we won’t need it now. You’re welcome Hate. Although I just saw the Euro run posted couple of posts up. Well fuck. Glad I got it running now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

We lived in Timbergrove during Ike at the end of our block and at the end the power line. Our transformer served four houses. The storm broke the crossmember at the top of the power pole. Because there were only four houses affected, we were at the bottom of the priority list and didn’t have power again for 2.5 weeks. Literally everyone on our street and all around us had it back within 3-4 days. 

Ended up bunking with my in-laws in the Energy Corridor for most if that period until we got it back at our house. 

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Fewer.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Had some relatives heading to Austin from Sugar Land, and took like 14 hours or something.
Had in-laws from Missouri City head towards Rosenberg and get out past Rosenberg and then head towards Austin, and made it here in 5 hours.  But they got held up by northbound traffic for some long periods of time.
They liked the Rosenberg route, because after sharing notes with other relatives who came straight to Austin/Dallas, they had a shorter travel time, and they had a lot of little towns they came across frequently, which meant gas stations, food, etc. fairly close by. Other relatives heading straight for Dallas or Austin found themselves parked or crawling with no little towns or anything in sight, or when they did come across something, completely sold out.

Depends on timing. We left the Heights for SA during Rita at about 2 am and the mass exodus on 10 had already began. Took the detour through Richmond and Rosenberg and it still took 16 hours to SA.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

Depends on timing. We left the Heights for SA during Rita at about 2 am and the mass exodus on 10 had already began. Took the detour through Richmond and Rosenberg and it still took 16 hours to SA.

I sent my roommate down to Victoria and then up 87 into San Antonio and up I35 into Austin.  He got there in 6 hours while I 10 was all still fucked beyond reason.