2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

All this drama the past 48 hours and all the time I spent today busting my hump in the sun getting everything prepared... and all we're going to get out of this in Sugar Land is 20 MPH wind gusts and a half inch of rain. 

Yeah - woke up at 5am, looked at model and discussion, freaked out and sent my wife and kids north while I moved everything inside and strapped things down

I’ve been following this closely for four days on a weather forum. While I’m relieved I won’t need to replace half my fence and who knows what else, sort of a letdown. Weird feeling

I know this is the opposite of what you should do, but next time, unless Houston is on the east side of storm and probability is extremely high of receiving at least some impacts, I’m not doing shit until it’s under 48 hours out

Interesting, Our Lady by the Sea Catholic Church:

No way I'd ride out a Cat 3+ there, because you're not just dealing with the storm surge height, but the wave action on top of that.  There's also structures between it and the Gulf, so potential debris to batter it.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Yeah - woke up at 5am, looked at model and discussion, freaked out and sent my wife and kids north while I moved everything inside and strapped things down

They’ll need to stay away for a few days for safety. 

Now is when you order up the hookers and blow and cut loose for a few days and get treated like a hero when they get home for being the protector of the house.

50 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Interesting, Our Lady by the Sea Catholic Church:

No way I'd ride out a Cat 3+ there, because you're not just dealing with the storm surge height, but the wave action on top of that.  There's also structures between it and the Gulf, so potential debris to batter it.

A few generations of my ancestors rode out storms from Bolivar to Sabine Pass from 1840 to 1915...When available they would ride them out in the lighthouses. 

I grew up in Sour Lake (Pinewood) off 105. The Pine Island Bayou has flooded that area, between Sour Lake and Beaumont, more times in the last 10 years, than the previous 75 “combined”. They don’t need this!

The golf course is now called Idyllwild (Pinewood), but during its “hey-day” (70s- early 90s), it was “The Course” in SE Texas, until you went West into Houston (TPC Woodlands).

Lamar used to hold their annual collegiate tournament there and always hosted like 15/20 teams nationally ranked. It was called the Henry Homburg Invitational.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ugh this thing reminds me too much of Rita. At least it's not already a 5, I guess. This notice from the City of Port Arthur got me thinking about the pre-Katrina warning that went out just before it hit. Not as dire, of course, but it's still a punch in the gut after all these years. 

Seriously, y'all, be safe.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I remember in HS, watching John Daly (Arkansas) try to “cut the corner” of a dog-leg Par 4, over Pine Trees! We’re talking mid-80’s golf balls/equipment!

I digress - back to Hurricane Laura, as I was distracted with Bud Light and I now live in the Hill Country (for a reason)!

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BearSchlong said:
8 hours ago, UTexasFight said:
Already getting dicey in Beaumont 

E15EB595-24BB-4841-9E35-25F6BC7CA16E.thumb.png.6729adbdb9ab0965b1b355a832e1f0a6.png

Giglio and Del Pappa distributing already said fuck it. The head of Del Pappa helped me board my house, not sure what Will Jenkins did or where he's going. Or he and Jay Bruce might just sit it out in the tree house between their houses.

I no longer work in the H-town metro and have been gone for a year and a half.  Yesterday, I received 2 different phone calls from old customers begging for deliveries, as they were going to still be open on Wednesday.  Strange enough, one of them was an HEB...

It was just slightly interesting to me that they would be digging so deep for old contacts to try and still arrange for service/ deliveries as Laura bears down on the Region.  Then again, i made a run across the Houston Metro before Ike and it was like a ghost town on 45 and 59 before landfall.  The grocery industry really does try to sit in there until we have to leap.  Might be greed, but it's also wanting to get anything out there we can for the public.

After the storm, that shit'll be wiped out every day. We joke that anything left on the shelf before/ during hurricane should be shitcanned.  I spy some beer flavored water in that pic that is an ideal candidate.

Edited by slorch

38 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What’s the logic of a north turn of Laura in the next 18 hours? Seems like it’s maintaining a WNW track which puts in on Galveston?

There is some steering wind from Mexico pushing it and then another high pressure system pulling it for it to make it's turn is what the weather channel is saying.  

2 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I never understand why people overreact so far out. It is like clockwork though. Fear really is the mind killer.

I didn’t overreact with Harvey. Thought it was going to miss Houston all together or we’d get 5 inches of rain. People overreact because there’s so much uncertainty and they have absolutely no control over the outcome.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I never understand why people overreact so far out. It is like clockwork though. Fear really is the mind killer.

2020 bro. Also most people know what the gulf can do to a storm and we see it happening right now. 

It is going East because some butterfly flapped it’s wings. It could have easily gone west in another simulation. 

Also fear is addictive. 

First major hurricane of the season

...POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC STORM SURGE, EXTREME WINDS, AND FLASH FLOODING EXPECTED ALONG THE NORTHWEST GULF COAST TONIGHT... ...STEPS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION IN THE NEXT FEW HOURS...
7:00 AM CDT Wed Aug 26
Moving: NW at 15 mph
Min pressure: 963 mb
Max sustained: 115 mph

3 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Too many yaakofs out there, hard to know who to trust. I trust the track that has been dominant for the past 2 or 3 days, Tx/La border. SE Houston will get some wind. 

Yeah that guy is fearmongering and trying to make a name for himself. Every reputable source is in agreement this morning that it's going to land well east of Houston.