2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

agree 100%. Why not build up. Of course very few people actually build their own house and developers don't like adding costs when the next developer over isn't doing it. 

I agree with the general sentiment, but "because it adds $150-200k to the cost of the home" is a pretty good reason for a lot of people.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Work is being really overdramatic with this.  Phone trees?  Really?  We ain't getting shit. 

Yeah my kids' daycare has already cancelled for Friday. For fucks' sake.

I'm all for being cautious but could we not at least wait until Thursday to make that call?

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I never would have guessed it could add that much to the cost of a new home.  

Oh, so you are talking about shit you dont know about?

Well that's the surly way.  Carry on...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Oh yeah, speaking of "Yeah other than that though how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?" dept., there actually is a better-than-nothing chance of spotty showers for us because of this thing.  Most forecasts have called for squat, and after landfall when we're SW of it, probably so.  But for today, if this thing gets bigger and badder than thought (and it's getting close to that), it'll be big enough to drive outer band showers all the way over to us, in fact some are showing up right now on radar.  Although the forecast has called for not much, there could be rain for a lucky few around here today.

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Seems like most people that I'm talking with in Houston are pretty confident we're out of the woods now. I feel like that as well but.... the storm still hasn't taken a N or even a NNW track that is being predicted. Hopefully (for Houston) we will see that with the 1pm update.

FWIW:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JackSillin/status/1298655913545469952

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Haven't followed this whole thread, but do we have any surlsters int the Galveston/Port Arthur area?  Sounds like the storm surge is going to put the entire area under water.

Edited by UT_OB1

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Haven't followed this whole thread, but do we have any surlsters int the Galveston/Port Arthur area?  Sounds like the storm surge is going to put the entire area under water.

Ok. Don’t know what happened to post above.

It is not predicted to have that bad of a surge in Galveston 

23 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

STFU. I agreed with someone that it was a good idea to build a house higher than grade. Join the conversation when you have something to add.

Here is what I have to add.  I live in Houston in a house that has never flooded.  In fact, I cancelled my flood insurance after Harvey didnt even get into my yard.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Galveston will be fine. Fortunately this thing is going in where there is almost nothing. port Arthur and Beaumont  will take a pretty good hit, but most of the damage is going to be around Lake Charles and east of that. There is almost no population or buildings in that area. But live in Cameron, LA? You’re fucked.

3 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Sure did.

As mentioned earlier, the NHC have balls of steal the way they stuck to their guns and didn't panic and send Houston into even more of a panic on its own. That one run of the Euro on Monday night was enough to get it started - had the NHC guys followed it would have been Deep Impact around here. 

Kudos to the American model and the American forecasters. 

USA!   USA!   USA!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Galveston will be fine. Fortunately this thing is going in where there is almost nothing. port Arthur and Beaumont  will take a pretty good hit, but most of the damage is going to be around Lake Charles and east of that. There is almost no population or buildings in that area. But live in Cameron, LA? You’re fucked.

Isn’t there some pretty large LNG terminals there?

3 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Generally of course we don't think of Austin as particularly vulnerable to hurricanes or tropical storms; it lies well inside the state, 200 miles from the coast, no less inland than say Atlanta, Pittsburgh or Syracuse NY. 

[OCD mode]   Downtown Austin is 153 miles inland, versus 235 miles, 290 miles, and 200 miles (unless you want to count the Great Lakes.)   [/OCD mode]

21 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Ok. Don’t know what happened to post above.

It is not predicted to have that bad of a surge in Galveston 

The San Luis gives a special rate to residents in cases of a hurricane,  i would expect heavy damage there. Akin to Caddyshack, where they let the caddies have the pool for 30 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

This right here is the reason we decided to go overkill on our nearly completed new build in GO, despite our street faring well in all previous storms. 
Raised 5' off the ground on pier and beam and adding $20K of additional drainage and pumps despite not being required by code.
To me, building a new house anywhere in Houston on slab at ground level is incomprehensible. 
I mean, none of that destruction would have anything to do with flooding, but reasonable approach in general.

29 minutes ago, Paco said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEW0GFBpwC4TvgeyDoV9kXxadKjgdRur0PnQ6o0/?igshid=jo5inav556s3

I have no idea if this will work. And probably already posted but fuck it

You might try a screenshot. That account is private.

14 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

EgXJbjkXsAA8TZa?format=jpg&name=large

Amazing clarity. Look closely and you can see the smoke from the fires in California.

• Hook 'Em 1