2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

6 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

No, it was dumb. Even with that graph, the mayor shouldn’t be telling the entire city to evacuate. People along the coast needed to get out. People in zones A or B or whatever they are called needed to go. Unless a house/neighborhood had extenuating circumstances like low area, medical issues, or poor construction, Katy, cypress, Tomball, Conroe etc should all be staying put.  You evacuate from the flooding (Houston isn’t NO and Rita wasn’t Harvey) and you shelter in place from the wind. 

There were over 100 deaths due to Rita, and most were evac related. It was stupid 

We were only a few weeks removed from Katrina. Stories (fake?) about people drowning on NOLA streets; gangs running the Superdome, etc. And then Rita looks to be worse. I didn't leave Houston but I understand why many did.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

No, it was dumb. Even with that graph, the mayor shouldn’t be telling the entire city to evacuate. People along the coast needed to get out. People in zones A or B or whatever they are called needed to go. Unless a house/neighborhood had extenuating circumstances like low area, medical issues, or poor construction, Katy, cypress, Tomball, Conroe etc should all be staying put.  You evacuate from the flooding (Houston isn’t NO and Rita wasn’t Harvey) and you shelter in place from the wind. 

There were over 100 deaths due to Rita, and most were evac related. It was stupid 

Yeah, I agree with that.  I read that the official plans estimated 1 million people would evacuate worst case and for Rita ~2.5 million did.

3 minutes ago, WBT said:

Yeah, I agree with that.  I read that the official plans estimated 1 million people would evacuate worst case and for Rita ~2.5 million did.

The fact that it came on the heels of Katrina, it's projected course and intensity, it's hardly surprising that so many people decided to GTFO.  

But for those who did, my relatives among them, the likelihood of their ever evacuating again is pretty much nil.  

Edited by dcbc

14 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Nobody told anyone but the immediate coastal counties to evacuate. People in Katy and Cypress and Memorial had just seen the Katrina shitshow on sensational network news ("people are eating each other in the Superdome!") and were (unreasonably) terrified of that happening here. So decided on their own to leave, often in two cars, sometimes pulling boats and RV's, and got in the way of the people coming north from the coast and it all just clogged the shit out of the roads. 

Mrs CL and I were going to ride it out and both our parents kept calling every 15 minutes pleading with us to get out, and recruited other family members to call us too, so we finally did leave on Friday afternoon just to shut them up and thus began the exodus to Austin that lasted 12+ hours. By the time we got to Giddings it was clear that Rita was going to miss Houston but we had already committed and kept going. It was an enormous clusterfuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Depends on how many people already evacuated.  My mom and sister evacuated a day or so ahead of Rita.  Sat in traffic for 19 hours for a usually 3 hour 45 minute drive.  Late ex-brother-in-law left the morning before landfall and made Austin in 2.5 hours.  

My family did the same thing.  We spent Rita at Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels.  It was a chill time. 3 hours door to door.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, dcbc said:

The fact that it came on the heels of Katrina, it's projected course and intensity, it's hardly surprising that so many people decided to GTFO.  

No kidding, 175mph winds 48 hours from landfall.  Yeah that will put the fear of God into a lot of people.  I stayed but remember my mother begging me in a panic on the phone to leave.  I was thinking it was going to make a turn north.  Thankfully I was right, we only lost power for about 2 hours and it barely rained.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Nobody told anyone but the immediate coastal counties to evacuate. People in Katy and Cypress and Memorial had just seen the Katrina shitshow on sensational network news ("people are eating each other in the Superdome!") and were (unreasonably) terrified of that happening here. So decided on their own to leave, often in two cars, sometimes pulling boats and RV's, and got in the way of the people coming north from the coast and it all just clogged the shit out of the roads. 

Mrs CL and I were going to ride it out and both our parents kept calling every 15 minutes pleading with us to get out, and recruited other family members to call us too, so we finally did leave on Friday afternoon just to shut them up and thus began the exodus to Austin that lasted 12+ hours. By the time we got to Giddings it was clear that Rita was going to miss Houston but we had already committed and kept going. It was an enormous clusterfuck. 

Same kind of deal for us. My office was shutting down anyway, families on both sides were begging us to get out, we knew we weren't in trouble, but took the trip anyway because why not. 

Took 3 hours to get to the Hwy 6 exit on 290 but after that it was smooth sailing to Austin. 

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Same kind of deal for us. My office was shutting down anyway, families on both sides were begging us to get out, we knew we weren't in trouble, but took the trip anyway because why not. 

Took 3 hours to get to the Hwy 6 exit on 290 but after that it was smooth sailing to Austin. 

I went out to a bar the night of the evacuation with a buddy. Remember bars? Anyway I recall telling him that we were either the smartest or dumbest people sitting there watching tv coverage of the mass exodus. Personally I like staying home to quickly clean up damage. Unless there is flooding like with Harvey, you can still get out of town after the hurricane has passed in case of power loss or whatever. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Still has not turned north.  

The eye is stair-stepping from the satellite loops I've been watching. Heads a little north, then a little west, then a little more north, then a little west...etc. Just about to start running into coastal shear. I expect the steps north to get more pronounced. 

Every single one of the weather guys I've been refreshing on Twitter saying the same thing:

Laura still following pretty much exactly the forecast path at this point. Very high confidence in forecasts at this point in time.

Landfall expected somewhere between Sabine Pass and Cameron, LA.

Storms don't make abrupt turns. They gradually shift course as they encounter wind shear closer in to land. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Made it to Tyler this morning around 10:30.  Left Pearland around 6:30 or so.  Solid green traffic all the way up 45 and up 59.  Wasn't bad at all.  I figured it would be better to come this morning than yesterday and let the Galveston folks battle it out on 45.

Better safe than sorry.  Needed to visit my folks anyway and pick up my kiddo.  I will say though, there were a lot of Louisiana license plates on the way up.

Edited by pearlandhorn

Latest SpaceCity update:

Hurricane Laura has rapidly intensified today, with 145-mph winds. Matt’s post from this afternoon has the storm’s effects pretty well covered for both Houston, Beaumont, and points east. This is an extremely dangerous storm and will prove especially punishing for western Louisiana.

Below you’ll find the National Hurricane Center’s 4 pm CT track update. The track line remains the same, but the cone has moved further away from Houston as it has shrunk. There is high confidence in this forecast track. Laura is turning. It will continue to turn.