2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

30 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Just sold the last beachfront spec in Galveston. Threaded the closing needle between Laura and future beta. 

I’ve never seen real estate market so strong in Galveston. Title companies can’t keep up, they are requesting 45 day close in contracts. 

It’s crazy. I’m in the old town and a house a block away that is about half the size of mine (and not as nice) is currently on the market for what I bought mine for two years ago. 

Edited by Xian

Coastal Flooding warning for Galveston area.  My wife is with friends at a house down at pointe san luis (far west end).  So, her road home is either up Galveston or Follet's island.  If any of y'all locals get notice that they're going to shut down those roads, can you post?  Don't want her to get stuck there.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Coastal Flooding warning for Galveston area.  My wife is with friends at a house down at pointe san luis (far west end).  So, her road home is either up Galveston or Follet's island.  If any of y'all locals get notice that they're going to shut down those roads, can you post?  Don't want her to get stuck there.

Depending on the elevation of the land under their house they might need to worry about tidal flooding and their cars.  Especially if they are on the bayside. 

2 minutes ago, Xian said:

Depending on the elevation of the land under their house they might need to worry about tidal flooding and their cars.  Especially if they are on the bayside. 

They're on the beach side.  They're 4 houses back or so, and the dunes there are pretty stout....but I'm more worried about the road between there and either Galveston proper or 332 at Freeport.

2 minutes ago, Dewey said:

They'll close the Bluewater highway when the tides reach the road, thats the best way out, then take whatever you like. I'll leave Galveston,  hit highway 6, then fart around up to El Campo, then 71 in to Austin. Fuck Houston 

Yep, familiar with that -- family used to have a place in Surfside.  I think the BEST way out.....is whatever will be open.  I think Bluewater gets water over the road more easily than San Luis Pass road (the Galveston side of 257/3005).

50 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They're on the beach side.  They're 4 houses back or so, and the dunes there are pretty stout....but I'm more worried about the road between there and either Galveston proper or 332 at Freeport.

The causeway stays open till winds are around 40 mph if I recall. The predicted   20 inches of rain will flood out 61st  to  Broadway though. 

Edited by Xian

7 minutes ago, Xian said:

The causeway stays open till winds are around 40 mph if I recall. The predicted   20 inches of rain will flood out 61st  to  Broadway though. 

Understood.  We'll just keep an eye on things.  Her plan is to come back Sunday afternoon anyway, just hoping she doesn't have to cut it short.  I'd hate to make my girlfriend pack up and leave our house early.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hate said:

The surf will be rough and they are expecting coastal flooding to begin by tomorrow.

Been here since Thursday a week ago. Hadn’t paid any attention to the news. Water was pretty calm Wednesday (snapped the line on a massive trout), went back today and it was a fucking beating being waist deep in the surf.  Gave up fishing and had to tell the little ones they couldn’t get past knee deep. Just found out about the storm.  Glad I paid the insurance today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Drove through Lake Charles yesterday. As usual, attention has been turned elsewhere, but it is utter devastation.

I’ve been through Rita and Ike and the visuals, at least from IH 10, are sobering.

If anyone is inclined to donate, then do so. Seems like our Cajun brethren are getting lost in the shuffle.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Drove through Lake Charles yesterday. As usual, attention has been turned elsewhere, but it is utter devastation.

I’ve been through Rita and Ike and the visuals, at least from IH 10, are sobering.

If anyone is inclined to donate, then do so. Seems like our Cajun brethren are getting lost in the shuffle.

It really shocks me how they have been forgotten.  It’s horrible 

• Hook 'Em 1