2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

From NWS

...BETA STARTING ITS WESTWARD TURN...
...TROPICAL STORM WARNING ISSUED FOR PORTIONS OF THE TEXAS AND LOUISIANA COASTS...

*** A Storm Surge Watch is in effect for...
* Port Mansfield, TX to Cameron, LA including Baffin Bay, Corpus Christi Bay, Copano Bay, Aransas Bay, San Antonio Bay, Matagorda Bay, Galveston Bay, Sabine Lake and Calcasieu Lake
*** A Hurricane Watch is in effect for...
* Port Aransas Texas to High Island Texas
*** A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for...
* Port Aransas Texas to Intracoastal City Louisiana
*** A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for...
* South of Port Aransas Texas to the Mouth of the Rio Grande
* East of Intracoastal City Louisiana to Morgan City Louisiana

Tropical storm conditions are expected in the tropical storm warning area by late Sunday or Sunday night.  Hurricane conditions are possible within the hurricane watch area by late Monday or Monday night.  Tropical storm conditions are possible within the tropical storm watch area along the southwestern Louisiana coast as early as tonight, and along the south Texas coast Sunday night.

At 10 a.m. CDT, the center of Tropical Storm Beta was located about 305 miles (495 km) east-southeast of Corpus Christi, Texas. Beta is moving toward the northwest near 3 mph (6 km/h). A slow westward motion is expected to begin later today, with a slow northwestward motion forecast to begin late Sunday or Sunday night and continue through late Monday.  On the forecast track, the center of Beta will slowly approach the Texas coast into early next week.

Maximum sustained winds are near 60 mph (95 km/h) with higher gusts. Tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 175 miles (280 km) from the center. Little change in strength is expected today.  After that, slow strengthening is forecast to occur, and Beta is expected to be at or near hurricane strength Sunday night or Monday.

The combination of a dangerous storm surge and the tide will cause normally dry areas near the coast to be flooded by rising waters moving inland from the shoreline. The water could reach the following heights above ground somewhere in the indicated areas if the peak surge occurs at the time of high tide...
- Port Mansfield, TX to Cameron, LA including Baffin Bay, Corpus Christi Bay, Copano Bay, Aransas Bay, San Antonio Bay, Matagorda Bay, Galveston Bay, Sabine Lake, and Calcasieu Lake...2-4 ft
- Mouth of the Rio Grande, TX to Port Mansfield, TX...1-3 ft
- Cameron, LA to Morgan City, LA incl. Vermilion Bay...1-3 ft

Beta has the potential to produce a long-lived rainfall event along the western Gulf Coast. Today through Tuesday, Beta is expected to produce rainfall accumulations of 3 to 5 inches with isolated totals of 10 inches beginning Saturday across southern Louisiana and spreading into coastal Texas on Sunday. Flash and urban flooding is likely as well as minor river flooding. Additional heavy rainfall amounts across the western Gulf Coast are possible through late week as Beta is expected to move slowly near the Texas coast.

The next complete advisory will be issued by NHC at 4 p.m. CDT with an intermdiate advisory at 1 p.m.CDT - www.hurricanes.gov

22 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Just sold the last beachfront spec in Galveston. Threaded the closing needle between Laura and future beta. 

I’ve never seen real estate market so strong in Galveston. Title companies can’t keep up, they are requesting 45 day close in contracts. 

22 hours ago, Xian said:

It’s crazy. I’m in the old town and a house a block away that is about half the size of mine (and not as nice) is currently on the market for what I bought mine for two years ago. 

It’s insane in Port A too. 3000 sq ft house that is not a new build post Harvey down the street from me just listed at 1.475. They do have a view of the channel but come on that’s nuts.

I had a longtime island realtor walk 2 properties for me last week and she said she’d never seen a market like this on existing properties. To make matters worse she’s been getting quotes for clients that purchased lots and you can’t build anything for less than 250-275 sq ft. And that’s for builder grade construction.

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Personally, I don’t spend any more time in New Orleans than I have to. 

I would gladly go in your place. I could be all business-man Pearland-y and shit. Maybe some pics of your wife for my wallet, just so people don’t get confused. 

Better yet, send your wife with me. I’ll keep her safe. You can stay home and protect the homestead. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It was supposed to be clear and sunny today and still might get there, but there is a slight tinge in the atmosphere above us due to Beta.  It won't rain nor anything, but we're just outside the farthest reaches of the storm enough to stir the air up to make a few clouds.

This is gonna be a helluva 2-day ride...

27 minutes ago, justhookit said:

It’s insane in Port A too. 3000 sq ft house that is not a new build post Harvey down the street from me just listed at 1.475. They do have a view of the channel but come on that’s nuts.

I had a longtime island realtor walk 2 properties for me last week and she said she’d never seen a market like this on existing properties. To make matters worse she’s been getting quotes for clients that purchased lots and you can’t build anything for less than 250-275 sq ft. And that’s for builder grade construction.

Asked a former co-worker who went into real estate about it, she said a lot of companies are loosening up on people working remotely thanks to covid, and/or having to make fewer appearances in the physical offices, and they are seeing more people selling in larger metro areas and moving out to where they actually want to be, or where it's cheaper to live.

Wonder if that's a part of it.  

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Asked a former co-worker who went into real estate about it, she said a lot of companies are loosening up on people working remotely thanks to covid, and/or having to make fewer appearances in the physical offices, and they are seeing more people selling in larger metro areas and moving out to where they actually want to be, or where it's cheaper to live.

That’s a really good point that I had not thought of. 

Not that this isn’t a compete tangent, but yeah....as we are learning that not everyone has to “live where they work,” we’re going to see some massive changes in housing markets.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

and we appreciate that

I’ve spent more time in New Orleans over the last 6 years that it’s just old to me. Kinda burnt out on it. The food is the best but everything else...it’s so depressing seeing all devastation that resulted from Katrina. Also the fact that I don’t drink alcohol anymore could contribute to me not wanting to spend a lot of time there.

56 minutes ago, After irth said:

I would gladly go in your place. I could be all business-man Pearland-y and shit. Maybe some pics of your wife for my wallet, just so people don’t get confused. 

Better yet, send your wife with me. I’ll keep her safe. You can stay home and protect the homestead. 

Please take her for me. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

[mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention] not sure if the wife left, but Per local officials the water will start rising tonight and stay 2-4 feet above the vegetation line in bolivar and the west end until middle of next week. Sucks, because currently the weather is amazing on the beach. 

Can you tell em where you’re seeing that? She won’t listen to me (because husband), but she might listen to a third party source.

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Can you tell em where you’re seeing that? She won’t listen to me (because husband), but she might listen to a third party source.

Jeff Linder, who is officially the Harris county Meteorologist (don’t let the title fool you, he basically runs the greater Houston area emergency weather team) just did a Facebook live report and mentioned it.   
It’s finished, but look at his Facebook page, it will be archived.  

She isn’t going to be washed away or anything, but there is a good chance her car will flood and she will be stuck there for  a week.  

Edit:
here is a screen shot of his Facebook page to make it easier to find. He was literally a lifesaver durning Harvey. When he talks people listen. 

48C17D21-7370-4F26-B838-507623485F12.png

Edited by Xian

2 hours ago, Xian said:

That’s a really good point that I had not thought of. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Not that this isn’t a compete tangent, but yeah....as we are learning that not everyone has to “live where they work,” we’re going to see some massive changes in housing markets.

It's a tangent, but I'm guessing a whole shitload of people would gladly move if their job allowed it, and the coast seems like a place where many would move if they could still keep their existing jobs.  Stripe is offering bonuses to people to move from San Fran, NYC, Seattle, etc. and work remotely.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/elanagross/2020/09/15/stripe-is-offering-20000-bonus-to-employees-who-relocate-to-less-expensive-cities-but-it-comes-with-a-pay-reduction/#10af62d73072

Stripe is offering a $20,000 bonus to employees who move away from San Francisco, New York City or Seattle but it comes with a 10% pay reduction, spokesman Mike Manning told Forbes, making the e-commerce and mobile payment processor the latest tech company to implement pay cuts for workers who chose to relocate to less expensive cities as remote work policies are extended because of the pandemic. 

Jeff Linder, who is officially the Harris county Meteorologist (don’t let the title fool you, he basically runs the greater Houston area emergency weather team) just did a Facebook live report and mentioned it.   
It’s finished, but look at his Facebook page, it will be archived.  
She isn’t going to be washed away or anything, but there is a good chance her car will flood and she will be stuck there for  a week.  
Edit:
here is a screen shot of his Facebook page to make it easier to find. He was literally a lifesaver durning Harvey. When he talks people listen. 
48C17D21-7370-4F26-B838-507623485F12.thumb.png.67ec3bd00452f84a2350c8de27a80e61.png

This is the truth. He is outstanding in his role. I also posted the coastal flood warning from the National Weather Service earlier.

[mention]Brisketexan [/mention] if she won’t listen to anyone else, tell her to listen to Jeff and the NWS. They know what they are doing.

Have family down on the beach across the  bridge from corpus, Gulfstream condos if any of you know them, just south of mustang island park. They planned to stay until Monday morning. They said the waves are bad already. Not sure what to make of this storm and if I should push them leave tomorrow. My parents and my brother his wife and their two small kids. 

I first met Jeff Linder on the KHOU weather boards during Katrina.  And while evacuating from Rita I emailed him and asked him what he thought.  He said that he thought it would turn North before Galveston, but to make up my own mind on whether to keep going north or turn around.

We turned around after 12 hours in traffic.

Met him numerous times at the Hurricane Conferences in Houston.

Solid Dude.

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Port A ain't cheaper to live than most of Texas.

*on that real estate tangent

Wife and I are examples of people successfully working remote and jobs may become permanent remote. We discussed moving to the beach and did a weeklong Airbnb and loved it. Real estate prices shot up and the value just was there any more by mid summer, IMO, at least not compared to where it had been the previous 12 months. Thought about the beach proximity/front lots but wondered about construction costs and timelines. We never made a move though. 

43 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Lindner’s Twitter Page

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffLindner1

That’s what I was talking about. Lot of people on the west end and bolivar are going to wake up with a hangover and their cars underwater.  Per Jeff, water will rise another 1-3 feet tonight 

59617D1D-DDE9-4B4D-8E11-8C51B1620430.png

Edited by Xian

27 minutes ago, After irth said:

That weird white blob with the 15.7" is sitting right over my house...what the fuck?  I moved off the coast to get AWAY from hurricanes, goddammit...!

Surprised they went with white for 15”.

Not the color I would have used.....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Fuck. Yep. I just texted and told the wife to head out to high ground.

If she doesn’t respond quickly, I’ll call. We’re out dove hunting.

Edit - called her and one of her friends....are any of them answering their phone? Of course not.

Will she listen to me or Jeff Lindner? Odds are low. Is she going to be stranded and have her car flooded? Not an insignificant chance. Goddamit. The one time a bunch of women AREN’T sitting around with their phones in hand. MAYBE...they’re busy packing up and heading out. That would be nice.

• Haha 1

Get the call back:

“We’re getting VERY different reports from the island.”

“Well, the roads off the beach in Surfside are already starting to flood. The main road in Bolivar is flooding already...and the tide is rising.”

“Are you saying you want me to come home tonight?”

“No, just get to high ground. Get a nice vote, and finish your girls weekend.”

Grumbling.

“Look, you don’t need to listen to me - go to Lindner’s twitter page.”

“Ok.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Get the call back:

“We’re getting VERY different reports from the island.”

“Well, the roads off the beach in Surfside are already starting to flood. The main road in Bolivar is flooding already...and the tide is rising.”

“Are you saying you want me to come home tonight?”

“No, just get to high ground. Get a nice vote, and finish your girls weekend.”

Grumbling.

“Look, you don’t need to listen to me - go to Lindner’s twitter page.”

“Ok.”

So you live down there now?