2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

Reason number 1,257 why driving on the beach is fucking dumb

I’ve never had any issues, but I’ve also never done it during hurricane season, or when the forecasted high tide is higher than normal. But I think those type of decisions don’t even cross the minds of most folks....

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

*on that real estate tangent

Wife and I are examples of people successfully working remote and jobs may become permanent remote. We discussed moving to the beach and did a weeklong Airbnb and loved it. Real estate prices shot up and the value just was there any more by mid summer, IMO, at least not compared to where it had been the previous 12 months. Thought about the beach proximity/front lots but wondered about construction costs and timelines. We never made a move though. 

Lumber costs have never been higher as far as I can tell right now. Construction costs are high to very high and timelines are tough to predict when workers get poached and don’t show. 

Meanwhile I am slumming it in 30A but I have to fly back to Houston on Monday for other work. Really hoping the flight is cancelled. Beta is sending rain that is about to hit. 

Edited by Telegraph_it

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

*on that real estate tangent

Wife and I are examples of people successfully working remote and jobs may become permanent remote. We discussed moving to the beach and did a weeklong Airbnb and loved it. Real estate prices shot up and the value just was there any more by mid summer, IMO, at least not compared to where it had been the previous 12 months. Thought about the beach proximity/front lots but wondered about construction costs and timelines. We never made a move though. 

Could be a shitload of people had to go somewhere this spring/summer just to get out of the house, visited places along the coast, and decided to buy a second house (or companies are buying them to rent them out).

She just called me from the road. She’s heading home tonight. Her friends are not, because “the reports from down here are fine.”

She is RIPSHIT PISSED at me.

So, that’s nice. Do I hope that the conditions turn to shit, making it hard/impossible for her friends to leave tomorrow, proving my cautious approach wise, or do I hope that this was being overly cautious, and she stays mad at me?

What’s important is, either way, I lose - and isn’t that what a healthy marriage is all about?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

She just called me from the road. She’s heading home tonight. Her friends are not, because “the reports from down here are fine.”

So, that’s nice. Do I hope that the conditions turn to shit, making it hard/impossible for her friends to leave tomorrow, proving my cautious approach wise, or do I hope that this was being overly cautious, and she stays mad at me?

What’s important is, either way, I lose - and isn’t that what a healthy marriage is all about?

Compromise. Have her drop her car off at Kroger’s or Walmart on the seawall. It won’t flood.  Then uber back (or have her friends pick her up)  

or is it an old car you hate?  Might just let it flood  lol 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well the last few storms to hit, intensified nearing the coast, so.

But there’s a ton of dry air out there that may hamper it.

Spite is a hell of a drug!

On 9/18/2020 at 10:46 AM, Eastwood said:

The cost of insurance alone would cover about 4 Airbnb stays.

Flood insurance is off the charts if you have waterfront and the house is more than about 10 years old due to code changes.

Galveston property taxes per $100 are about 1.5x what I paid in Dallas or in Houston.  Must be because the schools are so good.

Just have your neighbor get a pool. 

Lumber costs have never been higher as far as I can tell right now. Construction costs are high to very high and timelines are tough to predict when workers get poached and don’t show. 

Meanwhile I am slumming it in 30A but I have to fly back to Houston on Monday for other work. Really hoping the flight is cancelled. Beta is sending rain that is about to hit. 
2x4s are like $6 these days.

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.

If this thing doesn’t overwhelm a few coastal roads, she’s never gonna drop it.

For what it’s worth, harbor side is already taking on water.  I also noticed water was a few inches of overtopping the storm drains on Post Office durning my walk to Red Light this morning. You will should have plenty of  examples of coastal flooding to point to in the AM.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Meh. Women let their emotions control their actions. She’ll get over it. Mine always does. Good on you.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Fuck. Yep. I just texted and told the wife to head out to high ground.

If she doesn’t respond quickly, I’ll call. We’re out dove hunting.

Edit - called her and one of her friends....are any of them answering their phone? Of course not.

Will she listen to me or Jeff Lindner? Odds are low. Is she going to be stranded and have her car flooded? Not an insignificant chance. Goddamit. The one time a bunch of women AREN’T sitting around with their phones in hand. MAYBE...they’re busy packing up and heading out. That would be nice.

She probably needed a new ride anyway

Sitting here in my condo rental in Port A wondering if I should leave tomorrow or stay until Monday morning as originally planned.  As of 8pm tonight (Saturday) the beaches have been closed.  The water really started rising about 4pm and chased us off the beach.  We didn't want to get ourselves into a situation like the people in that Surfside video.  I'm guessing by Monday, if not sooner, the ferry will be shut down.  It's crazy that the water has come up so much considering that the storm is still so far away.  I've been down here when a few storms have rolled in and I've never seen anything like this where the surge comes up so high, with the storm still so far out.

She was a mile or so up from San Luis pass, on the beach side. Concern is 20 miles of low-lying road to get back to civilization in either direction.

She just walked in the house. Do you think she used the 4 hr drove to a) mellow out, or b) stew and get even angrier?

Gosh...I’m sure none of y’all can figure it out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

@Brisketexan

Wise choice for her - it's bracketing the area where she's at - Bolivar down to Port Aransas.

But also, Sea Isle is taking on water, and that's probably pretty close to where she was at.

18 minutes ago, Hairy Biped said:

Sitting here in my condo rental in Port A wondering if I should leave tomorrow or stay until Monday morning as originally planned.  As of 8pm tonight (Saturday) the beaches have been closed.  The water really started rising about 4pm and chased us off the beach.  We didn't want to get ourselves into a situation like the people in that Surfside video.  I'm guessing by Monday, if not sooner, the ferry will be shut down.  It's crazy that the water has come up so much considering that the storm is still so far away.  I've been down here when a few storms have rolled in and I've never seen anything like this where the surge comes up so high, with the storm still so far out.

This is going to be almost a nonissue for Port A unless the forecast changes. Water like that in the Virginia’s parking lot happens every time we have a storm. Sometimes it happens with just the spring high tides and the wrong wind direction. People need to stop freaking the fuck out.

I will say that the people ignoring the 8pm beach closure deserve to have their cars flooded.

• Hook 'Em 2

She was a mile or so up from San Luis pass, on the beach side. Concern is 20 miles of low-lying road to get back to civilization in either direction.

She just walked in the house. Do you think she used the 4 hr drove to a) mellow out, or b) stew and get even angrier?

Gosh...I’m sure none of y’all can figure it out.

Do you want us to talk to her for you?
  • Haha 1

Do you want us to talk to her for you?

Yeah...I chose the “let her go to sleep while I watch a bit more TV in the living room, and maybe she’ll have a cooler head in the morning” approach. That approach bats about .500, whereas the “I think we need to discuss this right now” approach has a perfect .000 record.

There better be some goddamned flooding in the morning.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1