2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

Seawall this morning. Look a the guy near the sign for scale. 
*going to start taking screen shots of the pictures as a way to give credit to those who took them.  Downside is the they might look as nice  as a “click and save” upload. 
3057BE6B-41C5-4EE8-A22F-C22AFF13C19F.thumb.png.471f04c71619ab4adc989dc231584eeb.png

As a photographer who regularly fights to get credit, I appreciate this. You could crop it down though.

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Pretty much every model now has it making the sharp right at Albequerque (or like just west of Corpus) and moving NE just inside the coast.  Austin gonna be a rainy day into tomorrow.  Not drenching but yeah, periods of moderate showers.  More if/whenever/later.

Someone check on BillinSinton 

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Latest (of course they all update to the same sequence but why go looking for it?)
GOES16-SP-GEOCOLOR-600x600.gif

As said last night, the thing degraded quite a bit overnight, but right on time, the convection has started again.  It's almost impossible to tell where the center is now but it looks like it's slightly in the upper right quadrant of this circle of thunderstorms.  I expect it to get better defined today, though how much is unclear.  Still think it'll be between a TS and a Cat 1.

Pretty much every model now has it making the sharp right at Albequerque (or like just west of Corpus) and moving NE just inside the coast.  Austin gonna be a rainy day into tomorrow.  Not drenching but yeah, periods of moderate showers.  More if/whenever/later.

It is insane how much light pollution there is in a county with 130 people. All the o&g rigs I guess. /random observation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xian said:

Seawall this morning. Look a the guy near the sign for scale. 

*going to start taking screen shots of the pictures as a way to give credit to those who took them.  Downside is the they might look as nice  as a “click and save” upload. 

3057BE6B-41C5-4EE8-A22F-C22AFF13C19F.png

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Wow. Which ones?

Schafers has a few feet in it for sure (they did a live video a few hours ago). 
Judging from the outside, Looks like classic and tbones have a few inches water inside or will soon.  

Here is a is a picture of clear lake shores (co worker took it driving in)

064D2A7D-DB26-4B28-B86E-ECEC71A9AAF6.jpeg

Edited by Xian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zwylde said:

The tidal surge seems unusually large with such a small storm does it not?  Most all of the Galveston flooding that I've seen is from surge and not really the rain.  

close to zero rain so far.  All salt water flooding.   

Video showing Kemah boardwalk right now https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Znx7GhKf_28

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Pretty much every model now has it making the sharp right at Albequerque (or like just west of Corpus) and moving NE just inside the coast.  Austin gonna be a rainy day into tomorrow.  Not drenching but yeah, periods of moderate showers.  More if/whenever/later.

Bugs Bunny always make the same mistake.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Latest (of course they all update to the same sequence but why go looking for it?).    Pretty much every model now has it making the sharp right at Albequerque (or like just west of Corpus) and moving NE just inside the coast.  Austin gonna be a rainy day into tomorrow.  Not drenching but yeah, periods of moderate showers.  More if/whenever/later.

GOES16-SP-GEOCOLOR-600x600.gif

As said last night, the thing degraded quite a bit overnight, but right on time, the convection has started again.  It's almost impossible to tell where the center is now but it looks like it's slightly in the upper right quadrant of this circle of thunderstorms.  I expect it to get better defined today, though how much is unclear.  Still think it'll be between a TS and a Cat 1.

OIP.ZGu9KlocQawN3SDICJurWQAAAA?pid=Api&d

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Update: just two quick points right now:

1) Because of the wind shear and dry air they're saying this thing may just stay a tropical storm. Of course that doesn't mean it's going to be pleasant until it gets out of here on Wednesday but I guess it's better than a hurricane. One thing that they're saying now though is that the rain may not be as awful as first predicted, down from 20 or so inches in spots to maybe 8-10. Yeah, not much consolation if you're flooding on the coast but FWIW.

2) Austin is clearly now more in the cone of the storm's core, so our rain totals will probably be a little higher, maybe up to 6" in a few spots with most of us around 2 3". But of course it'll depend on where it turns and how fast it leaves Texas. Could be a wet day and a half until it moves out Wednesday evening.

So it looks like a slightly weaker storm with more rain for austin. Back later if it merits.

Edited by phdhorn

32 minutes ago, Xian said:

Surfside. 
can’t get over how cold it is outside. Nothing about this feels like a normal tropical storm   B5C8450A-D2CF-4208-93D8-20769314EF05.thumb.png.9e486786b75560a64e5406dc549e99c4.png

18AB761B-6C18-425C-A1CD-ACB885BD0D90.png

I bought bait at that stand in August.  It ain't high above high tide level on the best of days.  It's also effectively impossible to damage.  It's a shithole bait camp, as God intended.

14 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Update: just two quick points right now:

1) Because of the wind shear and dry air they're saying this thing may just stay a tropical storm. Of course that doesn't mean it's going to be pleasant until it gets out of here on Wednesday but I guess it's better than a hurricane. One thing that they're saying now though is that the rain may not be as awful as first predicted, down from 20 or so inches in spots to maybe 8-10. Yeah, not much consolation if you're flooding on the coast but FWIW.

2) Austin is clearly now more in the cone of the storm's core, so our rain totals will probably be a little higher, maybe up to 6" in a few spots with most of us around 2 3". But of course it'll depend on where it turns and how fast it leaves Texas. Could be a wet day and a half until it moves out Wednesday evening.

So it looks like a slightly weaker storm with more rain for austin. Back later if it merits.

All I know is this dampness is making Austin feel like the depths of winter.

Couple from DJ this morning.  Water was up some but in my opinion not lot.  Rain was sometimes hard sometimes soft, but overall not alot.  The swing is now more or less floating around not really hanging anymore.  Boat ramp under the bridge is under water, nothing really new there, seen it before.

20200921_092419_resized.jpg

20200921_103852_resized.jpg

20200921_103943_resized.jpg

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

I mean, it floods every other day buy is driving to work a thing anymore?

When you're in construction its hard to work from home. Interior work, Galveston.

I did see the rain for Galveston and Houston shoot up an hour ago, so maybe they're onto something. Or maybe its Harvey flashbacks. 2.45 is what they are saying for S. Houston tomorrow (WU)

8 minutes ago, Dewey said:

When you're in construction its hard to work from home. Interior work, Galveston.

I did see the rain for Galveston and Houston shoot up an hour ago, so maybe they're onto something. Or maybe its Harvey flashbacks. 2.45 is what they are saying for S. Houston tomorrow (WU)

Yeah, good point.  I'm sure this is frustrating but at least the Beltway isn't sitting under 20 feet of water.  Got to take the wins where you can get'em.

12 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Drove to the office in Kemah from Galveston today with zero issues for what it is worth. 

tomorrow might be another story though. All depends on timing and rain. 

2 hours ago, Dewey said:

Guys at work who drive in from Houston are telling me they aren't working tomorrow because S Houston gonna flood. Is this bullshit or can I accept the answer?

you could always facetime them...however, i would like to have happy employees than being an asshole to them while their home or car may be flooding. no doubt its raining and water is jumping banks- so there is that.

1 minute ago, riloh05 said:

you could always facetime them...however, i would like to have happy employees than being an asshole to them while their home or car may be flooding. no doubt its raining and water is jumping banks- so there is that.

Maybe he does not like them or they are crappy employees. I mean, what a better way to run off people than make them go to work during a hurricane. Well unless they are rescue personnel. 

• Like 1

None of that, I like them all just fine. Took awhile to get this crew together,  if they want to stay home, all good. Just an usual amount of guys asking if we were working tomorrow,  fully expecting a massive flood, bodies in trees type of vibe. Feels like the info they get and the info I get are drastically different.  Im reading "street flooding, but manageable",  they're reading "hold onto your ass, hope you can float"

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/20/2020 at 10:01 AM, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....looks like it peaked at 3 feet above msl....not enough to shut down her road out. I’m gonna catch lots of shit. Such is life.

Isn’t your woman a preacher or something?  She doesn’t seem very Jesusy if she’s copping shit over this.

You should probably mention this.

Apparently brays and other south Houston bayous are about to go over their banks. I’m actually pretty surprised.  Didn’t think there had been that much rain.   Poor meyerland.   I wonder how much new construction and expansion is to blame.   I mean, the water has to go somewhere 
13EB4EEC-2385-4E1F-902F-5D7CADCA961A.thumb.png.a3f14eec02451571357dba659234f7ad.png

I live in Westbury. We’re up to 6.5 inches at my house and still coming down pretty good as of 10:45 pm. Crazy how localized it’s been. Apparently Willow Waterhole Bayou is already at its banks.

4 hours ago, Rip76 said:

It’s been raining pretty steady here in Friendswood since about 1pm

I found this web page monitoring the flood gauge for Clear Creek in Friendswood.  I suspect if it rains all night and through tomorrow as forecast, that the creek is going to go over the banks at 12ft.

https://gcoem.org/clear-creek-flood-gauge/

• Hook 'Em 1