2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

46 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

South houston has been getting destroyed for the last 18 hours... the rest of houston joining in the last 6-8 hrs. Still got another 24-36 hours of this

gonna get ugly

I started realizing that late yesterday,  fucking sucks. Wake up this morning to seeing all kinds of tweets from the Houston area, schools, roads, random people posting pics and videos. I feel for you guys up there. 

8 hours ago, bernorange said:

I found this web page monitoring the flood gauge for Clear Creek in Friendswood.  I suspect if it rains all night and through tomorrow as forecast, that the creek is going to go over the banks at 12ft.

https://gcoem.org/clear-creek-flood-gauge/

Flood stage is 12ft.  Last observed value is 13.1ft at 6:13am.  More rain and drainage from other areas to come.  Folks in Polly Ranch on the creek are gonna be fucked (again).

21 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Space City guys kinda dropped the ball on this one. They've been consistently underestimating the rainfall totals from the very get-go. It happens, of course. But they're still as of this morning trying to play the "worst is over" card. Meanwhile, continues to dump at my house.

They have always called for an under I-10  level 2 flood event. Which this seems to be.    So far.  Look at the rain and bayou flood level below  

952620F3-9A37-4C15-9BB0-B6373467CBDB.png

Edited by Xian

This has been an unpredictable storm from the start. It seems to me that too many “forecasters” depend a little too much on models. I get it because it is a thankless job. If you forecast the worst possible scenario and it doesn’t pan out, you’re an idiot. If you forecast the storm to not amount to much and it ends up being worse than anticipated, you’re an idiot. Last forecast I saw had south of I-10 in the 7-10” of rain range even if they were saying that’s not likely but still possible. It’s a thankless job, that’s for sure.

Buffalo Bayou getting close to full in the Villages. Reservoir gates are closed, that's just from rainfall east of the reservoirs. This is per Jeff Lindner's Twitter.

I don't want to keep harping on it because I think they generally do a very good job, but the Space City guys have cultivated this brand of "no hype" and sometimes they stick to it to their detriment. I think they enjoy a little bit playing the role of the cool guys telling you not to worry while everyone else is panicking. The motto of their site might as well be "this isn't Harvey, stop worrying", but a baby Harvey like this can still fuck things up pretty good for quite a few people.

• Like 1

Supposedly the SW quadrant going to get some relief this morning, although likely coming back later. But might be enough to save some people

And yeah the SpaceCity guys missed this one a bit. They were basically flawless on Laura, but missed here some. To be fair - one of them had a baby yesterday or the day before so it’s been a one man show

Buffalo Bayou getting close to full in the Villages. Reservoir gates are closed, that's just from rainfall east of the reservoirs. This is per Jeff Lindner's Twitter.
I don't want to keep harping on it because I think they generally do a very good job, but the Space City guys have cultivated this brand of "no hype" and sometimes they stick to it to their detriment. I think they enjoy a little bit playing the role of the cool guys telling you not to worry while everyone else is panicking. The motto of their site might as well be "this isn't Harvey, stop worrying", but a baby Harvey like this can still fuck things up pretty good for quite a few people.

This is exactly why I put my faith in the NWS and people like Jeff Lindner. Are they wrong sometimes? Of course they are, but they don’t “wishcast” and they cover all of the possibilities the best they can.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fucking morons

Maybe they just want a new car and need the insurance money for the downpayment?

You'd think that since we've had a major flood each year for the last what.... 5-6 years that people would get a fucking clue.

Seriously. 

2015 - Memorial Day flooding

2016 - Tax day flooding

2017 - Harvey

2018 - July 4th flooding

2019 - early May flooding and TD Imelda

4 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Maybe they just want a new car and need the insurance money for the downpayment?

You'd think that since we've had a major flood each year for the last what.... 5-6 years that people would get a fucking clue.

Seriously. 

2015 - Memorial Day flooding

2016 - Tax day flooding

2017 - Harvey

2018 - July 4th flooding

2019 - early May flooding and TD Imelda

houston MSA area has 7M people. if you consider 5% (being awfully kind) of the population are certifiable idiots, well then you have 350,000 people, just in the houston area, who are a threat to themselves and others.

the world needs a plague. mother nature is trying to do her part.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

houston MSA area has 7M people. if you consider 5% (being awfully kind) of the population are certifiable idiots, well then you have 350,000 people, just in the houston area, who are a threat to themselves and others.

the world needs a plague. mother nature is trying to do her part.

Yeah, I said that too, until we got a plague. Made shit worse.  Dumbasses everywhere. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The variance of rain in Greater Harris County is beyond wild.  Along the coast ranging from 1-4 inches.  Most everything  I=45 (around Hobby) and north 1 - 3"  Southwest Houston starting at 288 west were pounded overnight and into early morning with 11-13".  I'm close to Galleria and we've only had around 8" in 24 hours. 

17 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

The variance of rain in Greater Harris County is beyond wild.  Along the coast ranging from 1-4 inches.  Most everything  I=45 (around Hobby) and north 1 - 3"  Southwest Houston starting at 288 west were pounded overnight and into early morning with 11-13".  I'm close to Galleria and we've only had around 8" in 24 hours. 

It is pretty wild.  All about whether you were in the path of those training bands.  I've had close to 12" at my house in the past 24 hours.  Based on the radar, we should get a reprieve soon. 

Our former home in Houston that flooded badly (4+ feet inside for 14 days) in Harvey.  We threw in the towel and sold in January 2018.  It is under contract today.  I have to laugh at the listing.  The stupid agent said "bayou views" lol.  Yeah, the bridge is under water and the property is inaccessible so I hope the new owner is looking at his options.

Edited by BevoSwag

38 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Sheesh.  Ten of the thirteen "Historical Examples" have occurred in the last 11 years.

Nine of them in the last six years.

Think of all the concrete added in a 30 mile arc from I-10 To I-45.  That’s your watershed which is now a concrete jungle of people that drive 90 minutes to and from work.   

“Nahhhh, we don’t need need no trains or anything.” 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zwylde said:

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=27.5;-73.8;3&l=radar

The line of storms connecting Teddy and Beta coincidence or nah?  Pretty damn interesting none the less.

Pretty fascinating.  Adding that storm up in Canada and you almost have a perfect circle of distanced low pressure systems feeding each other.