2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

It was a rough start for Shep Smith on CNBC hour special on Delta.  Either he was totally unaware of his reporters or someone was feeding him BS.  He'd call on one guy in Lake Charles who was actually in Lafayette or vice versa.  His producers kept showing a flooded building he identified repeatedly as in Abbeville that turned out to be Lake Charles.  He looked totally lost flipping the pages of his small note pad.  Not ever a computer lol.  And to make it worse he kept insisting the eye way was everywhere but where it actually was located.  I like Shep.  I hope things go smoother.

2 hours ago, BevoSwag said:

It was a rough start for Shep Smith on CNBC hour special on Delta.  Either he was totally unaware of his reporters or someone was feeding him BS.  He'd call on one guy in Lake Charles who was actually in Lafayette or vice versa.  His producers kept showing a flooded building he identified repeatedly as in Abbeville that turned out to be Lake Charles.  He looked totally lost flipping the pages of his small note pad.  Not ever a computer lol.  And to make it worse he kept insisting the eye way was everywhere but where it actually was located.  I like Shep.  I hope things go smoother.

If there had been a cop car chasing the hurricane, Smith would have been as smooth as glass.

Unconfirmed but my MILs across the street neighbor was allegedly killed by a falling tree last night. He was a dad to 4 foster kids.

That west side of the storm really did some damage to Beaumont. My dad lost a tree (thankfully fell into the street) and another neighbor took a huge tree into their house.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Unconfirmed but my MILs across the street neighbor was allegedly killed by a falling tree last night. He was a dad to 4 foster kids.

That west side of the storm really did some damage to Beaumont. My dad lost a tree (thankfully fell into the street) and another neighbor took a huge tree into their house.

Damn that’s awful 

The post-mortem on Delta and why the westside winds were bad from Greg Bostwick at KFDM.  That upper level trough really messed with the storm.

The Boudreaux signal is activated so we're convening in Church Point on Saturday, haven't been to that part of LA since before Laura.

image.thumb.png.f389e0950293c39c6b15cb5e4ae9f1e0.png

greg 1.jpg

greg 2.jpg

greg3.jpg

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 5:02 PM, BearSchlong said:

Confirmed, and its sad. No current foster kids but the man was crushed when a huge tree hit the garage, totalled 2 vehicles too. 

His funeral is today.

My in laws hired some pros to remove the tree, the poor lady didn't know where to begin. No windstorm insurance, but comprehensive is paying for the vehicles.

Zero reports on Facebook or the local news. This lady is proud, does not want charity.

Right now I'm in Lake Charles. Just wow. Very few structures are undamaged. Awful.

I'll stop complaining about damage in Texas right about now. Holy moly.

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Hook 'Em 1

I know one research project that just went into the field at the first of the month in the Lake Charles area, to study how hurricane risk perceptions and responses were affected on an individual scale by risk perceptions and responses to COVID-19.

Hurricane Delta threw a huge monkey wrench into that whole research project, so they're trying to amend the project to account for potential differences in the perception and response between both storms. 

Edited by TeeDubya

12 hours ago, Hate said:

Here is the latest from the NHC now that it is a TD.

205453_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Edit:  I have read that some models are wanting to push this farther west due to high pressure building in Florida.  We'll see. 

If track holds, how many LA landfalls does that make?

13 hours ago, Hate said:

Here is the latest from the NHC now that it is a TD.

205453_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Edit:  I have read that some models are wanting to push this farther west due to high pressure building in Florida.  We'll see. 

Keep an eye over FL for how fast the new ridge of hi press develops.  That will be key as to how far west it will be "steering".  Also this Friday's small front will start to shear mid to upper levels and keep the TD from becoming to strong.  It would be nice to have that next cold front hurry up and come on down.

Yep, but most of 'em, including this one, don't fare too well.  I've said a few times that the earth's location in its revolution around the sun by this time is such that the N.H. isn't getting nearly the direct sunlight it gets in the summer. so the oceans have cooled a few degrees.  This is enough to make it less potent.  Additionally there is a good amount of dry air and shear it has to negotiate.  The thing will reach Cat 1 proportions SE of the Yucatan, but moving into the now-cooler Gulf, it'll weaken eventually.  Likelihood of it being above a 1 or even a strong TS is not great.

As far as steering, the high will form in Florida and the storm could move around it NW toward Texas.  But a shortwave low is going to move in (the one that's with our front coming tomorrow afternoon) and that's going to push it N-NE towards the usual suspect - Louisiana.  But this one should be mild.  I just don't see the things in place for it to become a big storm.  We'll see (I could be wrong???????) but I'm pretty sure on this one.

Zeta will be a cane, then weaken, and eventually still move NE away from Texas.  That's my gues... er prediction and I'm stickin' to it.

20 hours ago, miguelito said:

Halloween hurricanes, wtf?

Yes, it's equal parts---Cointreau, Triple Sec, Paula's Texas (in honor of Louisiana), Grand Marnier, Kahlua, Malibu Black Rum, Tia Maria, and Johnnie Walker Black Label.  Pour over ice with a black licorice stick garnish.  Eat two slightly melted bags of peanut M&M's you stole from your kids trick-or-treat bag, and spend all of November 1st violently throwing up.  

I think we forget we had almost a decade of relatively quiet tropical storm/hurricane activity, but of course 2020 was going to be among the worst of all time.  Why not?  

Sometime, somebody please explain all this to me.  Otherwise...they'll be a lot of explaining to do.  /roywally 

49 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Looks like the duck lease shed was moved several miles by the hurricane; however, the cup and orchid of the owner are still sitting on the table as is.

That's what I'm asking. That's the interior of the duck camp? It has modern kitchen with stainless appliances and granite?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Looks like the duck lease shed was moved several miles by the hurricane; however, the cup and orchid of the owner are still sitting on the table as is.

blown by heavy winds four miles away and it stayed intact?  i'ma need to speak with that builder.

On 10/25/2020 at 10:16 AM, phdhorn said:

The thing will reach Cat 1 proportions SE of the Yucatan, but moving into the now-cooler Gulf, it'll weaken eventually.  Likelihood of it being above a 1 or even a strong TS is not great.

Zeta is forecast to bring life-threatening storm surge and strong winds to the coastlines of Louisiana and Mississippi, an area already hit hard by tropical systems this year. The storm could intensify to a Category 2 before making landfall in Louisiana.

https://6abc.com/weather/zeta-returns-to-hurricane-strength-closes-in-on-louisiana-/7411582/

in-yo-face-beeitch.jpg

• Haha 1