2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

A lot of weather people I follow are suggesting this is going to be a Louisiana storm, which is about the worst news we could expect Freon this. It means we will be on the hot and dry side which is pretty much where we have been for the last 3 months.

10 minutes ago, Hate said:

A lot of weather people I follow are suggesting this is going to be a Louisiana storm, which is about the worst news we could expect Freon this. It means we will be on the hot and dry side which is pretty much where we have been for the last 3 months.

image.gif.12088858932379c8688bc6cb3ff5c402.gif

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hate said:

Being in the Houston area, I love being on the dry side of these.  The dry wind makes it feel great for a day or 3.  A much needed break from 95F and >70% humidity.  Not getting 25" of rain in 12 hours is also a nice bonus.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Being in the Houston area, I love being on the dry side of these.  The dry wind makes it feel great for a day or 3.  A much needed break from 95F and >70% humidity.  Not getting 25" of rain in 12 hours is also a nice bonus.  

As a veteran of 2 hurricanes and many other flooding events in the Houston area, I mostly agree with you. As someone who has only had about 2 or 3 inches of rain over the last 2 months, I’d love a tropical depression to drop a rain bomb on us right now. I think the area could easily handle a 8-10 inch rain event right now with as dry as it has been.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

As a veteran of 2 hurricanes and many other flooding events in the Houston area, I mostly agree with you. As someone who has only had about 2 or 3 inches of rain over the last 2 months, I’d love a tropical depression to drop a rain bomb on us right now. I think the area could easily handle a 8-10 inch rain event right now with as dry as it has been.

Are you still in the Houston area?  I know it is a big enough area that the weather can vary greatly, especially as you move SE from ~Katy towards the bay and coast.  I'm in the Seabrook area.  We've gotten 8-10" this month.  It has been a little dry the last week, but just 2-3 weeks ago I felt like eyor.  Rained every day for 7-8 days.  Our yard and neighborhood have just stopped being swapy

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's 2020.  What's the worst outcome?  It blows up to a Cat 5, destroys the upper gulf coast, stalls and floods the eastern half of the state, and the hot-ass wind it draws on the dry side fuels massive wildfires in Central Texas.

So, bet on that.  Because 2020.

And it rains fire ants in San Antonio.

Are you still in the Houston area?  I know it is a big enough area that the weather can vary greatly, especially as you move SE from ~Katy towards the bay and coast.  I'm in the Seabrook area.  We've gotten 8-10" this month.  It has been a little dry the last week, but just 2-3 weeks ago I felt like eyor.  Rained every day for 7-8 days.  Our yard and neighborhood have just stopped being swapy

Yeah, I’m in The Woodlands area. I’ve watched storm after storm either bypass me in all directions or dry up in my doorstep. There have probably been 10 times in the last 2 months that I could smell rain but didn’t get a drop. It’s frustrating .

I’ll throw in a humble brag. I could have hurricanes hitting two beach houses I own. One in Galveston and the other in 30A. You should win a reward for that, right?

The Galveston house went under contract this week but demand on the island is so high closing is pushing out to 45 days. 

edit: not that 30 days would help. 

Edited by Telegraph_it
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

The Galveston house went under contract this week but demand on the island is so high closing is pushing out to 45 days. 

You can't close with a storm in the gulf anyway, right?  Seems like that was a thing when I bought my house...not in Galveston but a coastal county.

There was some talk earlier of the two storms "joining"...aka the Fujiwhara effect.  It's a fairly rare event, but it does happen occasionally.

Fujiwhara effect

The Fujiwhara effect, sometimes referred to as the Fujiwara effect, Fujiw(h)ara interaction or binary interaction, is a phenomenon that occurs when two nearby cyclonic vortices orbit each other and close the distance between the circulations of their corresponding low-pressure areas. The effect is named after Sakuhei Fujiwhara, the Japanese meteorologist who initially described the effect. Binary interaction of smaller circulations can cause the development of a larger cyclone, or cause two cyclones to merge into one. Extratropical cyclones typically engage in binary interaction when within 2,000 kilometres (1,200 mi) of one another, while tropical cyclones typically interact within 1,400 kilometres (870 mi) of each other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujiwhara_effect

Edit...at any rate, it's a good thing I went to HEB tonight.  I'll hit Spec's and the gas station with my 5 gallon gas cans tomorrow morning so I'm fully prepared.  I'll ride out a Cat 1 from where I am. If it goes to Cat 3 or close, I'll head to the family lake house for a while. 

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, gmr548 said:
15 hours ago, Hate said:
Some models for what has now become TD 14.

dcc477cb918b3562a1ae8d9c8cd625a0.jpg

I picked a good time to move to Houston.

I’ve  already forgotten the effects of Hannah and the 14 inches overnight, come one down orange. Ready for round 2.

Edited by Walte464

Models have been moving east with every run so far. I'm in Fort Bend and could use the rain, so Chambers County would be just right to get 1-2 inches and manageable winds, but my guess is that it will end up being east of Beaumont, if not east of Lake Charles and even further into Louisiana. The two storms are going to pull towards each other. 

image.thumb.png.a76695ccdb02fd27c429e585701f5cef.png

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Two hurricanes in the gulf. Why not both?

why dont we have both GIF

image.png.1514cf703cccc0c7820d866072c4f454.png

Welp, looks like my couple of years of dodging them is up. Looks like this one shouldn’t be bad when it crosses, but who the hell knows at this point. That 8 PM H Monday is sitting right on top of us.

35 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

It’s going to land in Mississippi.

these things always pull way East this far out

I tend to agree with this. The ones that really affect Houston either:

a.) Form right offshore and surprise everyone (Alicia, Allison, Imelda)

b.) Make a beeline from the open ocean straight across the Caribbean and right up our anus (1906, Ike)

c.) Fuck around in the Bay of Campeche first and then head due north before they have a chance to go east (Harvey, Jerry)

Those that are the far south always leak away to the east. The only one I can think of that followed a similar path is Carla - which is nothing to sneeze at - but generally I think it's rare for them to form south of Honduras and not eventually go east instead of due north.

4 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Models have been moving east with every run so far. I'm in Fort Bend and could use the rain, so Chambers County would be just right to get 1-2 inches and manageable winds, but my guess is that it will end up being east of Beaumont, if not east of Lake Charles and even further into Louisiana. The two storms are going to pull towards each other. 

image.thumb.png.a76695ccdb02fd27c429e585701f5cef.png

I live in Lake Charles, on the water. Please choose track CTCI please and thank you.

10 hours ago, WBT said:

You can't close with a storm in the gulf anyway, right?  Seems like that was a thing when I bought my house...not in Galveston but a coastal county.

I believe the buyer would already have to have their insurance in place to close. They wisely do not right now so closing would not be possible until the storm is a non-factor. 

It is a great property. Before Ike it was second row, now its beachfront. Let's hope it stays where it is.