New Pots & Pans

Jameslaw121

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Anybody scramble eggs this way?  I saw it on some cooking show -- it allows you to cook in almost any type of skillet:  use a LOT of oil (preferably olive oil), like 2 T or more, and get it hot to where it's shimmering.  Pour in the already seasoned, whipped eggs, and be ready to scramble and plate right away, because they fry up almost instantly.  Super soft, large curds.  Takes about 15-30 seconds.

i do that for omelettes.  you have to precook the filling (other than cheese) and i don't scramble once i pour the eggs in.  but it goes eggs, cheese, filling, plate.  less than 30 seconds otherwise it gets firm or worse, crispy.  i hate crispy and dense omelettes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i do that for omelettes.  you have to precook the filling (other than cheese) and i don't scramble once i pour the eggs in.  but it goes eggs, cheese, filling, plate.  less than 30 seconds otherwise it gets firm or worse, crispy.  i hate crispy and dense omelettes.

• Like 1

Interesting trick I just heard and can't believe I didn't know.  But before using a carbon pan (or occasionally or whenever), heat up some salt in the pan and rub it down with a paper towel.  Smooths everything out. 

• 2 weeks later...

De Buyer, Mauviel, and Matfer Bourgeat are on about every list out there.

I have a couple de Buyer Mineral B pans and they're awesome. They also make a line without the epoxy coating on the handle that is oven safe to higher temps, but I can't recall the name.

• Like 1

Got an 11" deBuyer Mineral B pan off Amazon yesterday.  Seasoned it twice and it's already completely nonstick - did the fried egg test this morning.  Where has this pan been my whole life?  Might get a couple more and ditch the cast iron and stainless pans.  This pan is phenomenal and incredibly versatile.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Got an 11" deBuyer Mineral B pan off Amazon yesterday.  Seasoned it twice and it's already completely nonstick - did the fried egg test this morning.  Where has this pan been my whole life?  Might get a couple more and ditch the cast iron and stainless pans.  This pan is phenomenal and incredibly versatile.

Don't ditch the Stainless.  First acidic liquid to hit that carbon steel pan will remove that season pretty quickly.  They are great for lots of things, but not that.  Cast Iron will hold heat a bit better/longer when adding meat to sear, but yes, carbon steel pans rock.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Don't ditch the Stainless.  First acidic liquid to hit that carbon steel pan will remove that season pretty quickly.  They are great for lots of things, but not that.  Cast Iron will hold heat a bit better/longer when adding meat to sear, but yes, carbon steel pans rock.
True. And I'm not going to ditch 200 dollar pans. But i love these things.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
29 minutes ago, dcbc said:

True. And I'm not going to ditch 200 dollar pans. But i love these things.

Yeah, I just ordered my 3rd one (an 10.25" from Matfer Bourgeat).  Still hasn't shipped, which has me in emailing seller mode.  But for some reason, it was a hard size to find for regular price.  And it seems to be the best omelet size despite some pretty good ones out of the 8.5" version.

I haven't done any kind of scientific tests or anything, but I feel like it retains heat longer and is probably superior for things like searing steaks. It can also handle high heat in the oven for extended periods of time unlike my particular carbon steel.

Plus I just really like frying up bacon or sausage in my cast iron skillet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
9 hours ago, Okie State said:
A good mix of stainless, carbon steel, and cast iron gives you maximum versatility.

What does cast iron give you that carbon steel doesn't?

cheaper/more disposable, better suited to beating like outdoors/open-fire cooking.  and good for cowboy self-defense.  other than that, im of the opinion the cast iron is hugely overrated. 

overall usefulness,  cladded stainless > thick anodized alum  > carbon steel > cast iron

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

I guess there is cornbread, so cast iron has that going for it. I'm just running out of room for all the pans i have.

I'm running into this as well.  But I think there's some rule that you have to have at least one cast iron pan.  In addition to cornbread, I'd probably make it a go-to for most fried meats (chicken, pork chops, bacon).  The higher, less sloped sides lend to that use.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I just made room by moving a steamer basket we don't use much to a different cabinet.  Still a bit crowded, but that thing was a pain to store other pans around.  I've got my pots and pans stored in two deep drawers under the cooktop.  At some point, I'm going to get some quarter inch plywood and make some dividers.  I bought some prefab wire racks a while back, but the base caused a clearance issues with some of the pans.

I just made room by moving a steamer basket we don't use much to a different cabinet.  Still a bit crowded, but that thing was a pain to store other pans around.  I've got my pots and pans stored in two deep drawers under the cooktop.  At some point, I'm going to get some quarter inch plywood and make some dividers.  I bought some prefab wire racks a while back, but the base caused a clearance issues with some of the pans.
Damn that's a good idea. I'll add it to my project list.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Okie State said:
5 hours ago, dcbc said:

Damn that's a good idea. I'll add it to my project list.

I figure it's easy enough to route a small bit of lumber and do it so the 1/4" ply goes in there pretty tight.  Run the ply about half way down the drawers so the handles stick out on the near side.  Don't know if I'd glue it in case I wanted to rearrange.  Seems like it would work.  The slight rise on the base in those prefap racks was enough to excluded most of the pans. 

• Like 1

cast iron for no knead pan pizza

i have lodge cast iron in 3 sizes (small is great for burgers, basically deep fry in their own fat because there's no where for it to spread out), a matfer carbon steel for carbon steel things (the super long handle is a bit  unwieldy), a few cuisinart stainless, and assorted nonstick fry/skilled/saute pans.  the stainless and nonstick are just stacked in size order with sheets of cardboard between to keep the nonstick from getting scratched.  also a grill pan i got as a present 15 years ago.  pain in the ass to clean. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

Yeah, i have 3 cast iron pans, 2 stainless steel pans, a nonstick egg pan that i don't need anymore, my Mineral B, 2 sauce pans and a pot for spaghetti, etc. Also have 2 Le Crueset enamel cast iron. Definitely gonna have to find a better way to organize them all.

• 3 years later...

Preamble:  We have a mix of lightweight ancient Farberware and Revere pots, and no longer nonstick pans that all need to go....  I am on-board with getting better quality SS.  I made the rounds yesterday to see and touch what is available in local brick and mortar and was very surprised to find that damn near all of it, including All Clad, has shitty handles that are difficult and uncomfortable to grip.  Based on how they felt to me empty, I can't imagine I would like them hot and full.  While I am not sure she will make the effort to use the SS, if she does, this is of particular concern for wife, who has some arthritis and grip issues.  Between my own pickiness and her legitimate issue, I am concerned for buying something online that I cannot inspect before pulling the trigger. 

More setup:  Of all the things I saw in person yesterday, the Williams Sonoma Thermo-Clad (Made by Hestan) had the most secure and comfortable feeling handles.  They felt great!  Googles suggests that while the pot lids are different, these are otherwise substantially the same pots and pans as Hestan Probond, but no one had that line on display to see and hold.  Googles reviews the WS Thermo Clad and the Hestan Probond as comparable to All Clad D3 and Made In.  In addition to those, my Googles has caused me to be inundated with ads on social media, of which Heritage Steel (Clarksville, TN) seems like a worthy contender.

Questions:  Does anyone have any real world experience with Williams Sonoma Thermo-Clad, Hestan Probond, Made In, and/or Heritage Steel?  They all have good reviews and seem of similar quality and price.  I am particularly interested in knowing about handle grip and comfort for the three that I cannot see and hold in the stores - Hestan, Made In, and Heritage Steel.