Player Compensation

Hurtlocker

5 hours ago, Blotto said:

lulz at the idea that Texas and its boosters are the only school capable of ponying up $8.5 million a year to pay each football player $100K. Plenty of schools and their boosters are capable of paying multiples of that. Even though Texas is theoretically capable of paying more than most schools, the reality is that philosophically we will not lead the charge down that path. 

Let's get it on.  If CDC fails to get this going, he'll get canned.  It's simple.  Texas has a lot of cash....  more than the smallish states of the sec and b1g.   Belmont needs to decrease while the athletic department increases.

11 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Let's get it on.  If CDC fails to get this going, he'll get canned.  It's simple.  Texas has a lot of cash....  more than the smallish states of the sec and b1g.   Belmont needs to decrease while the athletic department increases.

Its not CDCs  call. The administration of the University sees itself as an academic institution first, and offer athletics as a secondary pursuit. That has been the case since I was roaming the 40 acres in the  early 90's. Your specific wish may be that Texas outspend every other school in paying players, but I doubt the people that authorize CDC's paycheck feel the same way. The people that run the University do not want to be Alabama.  Period.

Texas will play the game to the best of its abilities, but we won't push the envelope, especially when it comes to the destruction of the student athlete and transition to the professional mercenary football player. It always amuses me that people who spend so much time following Texas athletics haven't picked up on that fact that having the #1 football team in the nation is much lower on the priority list of our administration than it is for the administrations of the OU's, Bama's, & A&M's of the world. You may not agree with it, but that isnt going to change anything. 

• Like 1

Ya, I was there beginning 1990 and I graduated in 1994.  No big deal.  Your assumption depends on the revenue garnered from football which the University has become very accustom to having remaining constant.  If rev from tuition were to drop, the revenue from football would be all the more valuable.  If at the same time, paying players becomes legal through namesake ownership and Texas begins to fall behind then I think your picture of the University changes.   I would guarantee that the future number of students being on campus is going to decrease for a multitude of reasons.  Football revenue is going to be very important going forward and winning is the key.  The egg heads better fucking figure this out sooner rather than later.  Aren't layoffs currently the rage on campus?  This will continue.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

20 hours ago, Snacks said:

I pay for championships.

This. Bear in mind likeness can be pretty broad. Think of shit like a video of a 5 star recruit/star player recording a short birthday video for their kids.

Would you have paid $100 for VY to wish your son or daughter happy birthday? Pay him $1000 to come to your son's birthday party? etc etc Texas should be able to crush this.

This goes beyond TV ads and T-shirt sales. I would gladly contribute to a pool of funds that go towards "buying" 5 star players. Would rather that then the money going towards season tickets where frankly I have zero control over where it goes. Give the coaches the best players and you hope that then even they can't fuck it up (similar to butter teeth with VY & Crew)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

This. Bear in mind likeness can be pretty broad. Think of shit like a video of a 5 star recruit/star player recording a short birthday video for their kids.

Would you have paid $100 for VY to wish your son or daughter happy birthday? Pay him $1000 to come to your son's birthday party? etc etc Texas should be able to crush this.

This goes beyond TV ads and T-shirt sales. I would gladly contribute to a pool of funds that go towards "buying" 5 star players. Would rather that then the money going towards season tickets where frankly I have zero control over where it goes. Give the coaches the best players and you hope that then even they can't fuck it up (similar to butter teeth with VY & Crew)

And this x100.  I would rather my money going toward buying players instead of some egg head in Belmont buying extravagant vacations on my dime.  I would even forego the tickets....  I'll donate all of my sports budget to players.  I can sit in my nice living room watching the games on sportssurge.net as long as we have the best teams.  I'm down for the struggle.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29288245/duke-ad-worried-unfair-advantages-nil-laws

Duke AD Kevin White worried unfair advantages with NIL laws

Duke athletic director Kevin White said he is concerned about potential abuse of name, image and likeness legislation and unfair recruiting advantages that might result.

• 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

I am sure they are already doing this but UT should be able to easily show how a player sees following evolution in terms of marketability:

1) Be given offer from UT while a recruit - X% increase in instagram/twitter followers etc

2) Actually commit to UT to become a player: X% additional increase in social media followers, increased eyeballs on tik tok videos etc

3) Become a starter/playmaker at Tier 1 position - (QB, RB eg) - % additional increase, branding opportunities, appearance fees, autograph sales etc

4) Become All - American level talent, NFL consideration - etc etc etc

Should be easy for UT to show prospects just how they have taken regional players like Sam Ehlinger (who next to no one outside of Austin had heard of) and turned them (Sam's play certainly helped) into a high value brand that he can now start to monetize. Obviously all players aren't the QB at Texas but there is still huge opportunity here for a player with a bit of personality that plays a high impact position (DE racking up sacks and forced fumbles eg)

This is a nice first step from UT on this topic, they need to show the data and $ they are driving for the players.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/13/2020 at 3:28 PM, LTtxfan said:

It is not like players are indentured servants or shopping at the company store.  They can get paid, get jobs, network, get job training and full healthcare that other students do not have access to.     Lifetime scholarship is bullshit.  They already get a stipend.  They already get free tuition.    

• Like 2