2020 PF Greg Brown

texifornia

Another year another five-star big man. Let's hope the story ends differently than the others.

https://247sports.com/Player/Greg-Brown-46035701/

https://insidetexas.com/texas-gets-greg-brown-iii/

A lot of Brown III’s success at Texas will rely on two things: 1) his three point shooting competence; and 2) his ability to impact rebounding in a way where he can create second chance points and end possessions on the defensive end. The rim runs, alley oops, and defensive ability are going to be there. He’s just too good to worry about those things. He’s simply not a guy who you can put the ball in his hands and expect to make things happen off the bounce or in the mid-range. Not consistently, anyways.

That will come, but it’ll most likely come in year five or six of his pro career, not while in Austin for one year.

Regarding his three point shooting, pay attention to his catch-and-shoot three point percentages. Can he be anywhere near his 35-40 percent mark he posted this year at Vandegrift? If so, he’s probably going to be a top five pick and Texas would have a chance to be a second weekend kind of team. If he’s closer to the 16 percent he shot during his most recent EYBL season, spacing will be a problem and he’ll need to function in more of a post role. Brown III could certainly do that, but it probably isn’t ideal given Royce Hamm, Kai Jones, and Will Baker all being more natural fits at that spot.

Regarding his rebounding, it wouldn’t surprise me if he led the team in rebounds, maybe even lapping the field. Texas desperately needs for him to be a player who can either end possessions defensively, or create second and third chances on the offensive end. That would be huge as none of Baker, Kai Jones, Andrew Jones, or Courtney Ramey are super adept at extending looks and being able to rely on a player like Brown III would take a ton of pressure off the rest of the team.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

i continue to be impressed with his ability to recruit top tiered kids while simultaneously sucking shit through a straw.  Hopefully he isnt one and done

He's absolutely a one and done. Shaka has all the talent and experience he could possibly need this year and it's all gone next year. Time to put up or shut up.

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's absolutely a one and done. Shaka has all the talent and experience he could possibly need this year and it's all gone next year. Time to put up or shut up.

I know I’m going out on a limb here, but I’m gonna go with Option C, neither. He will continue to suck ass while spewing meaningless platitudes the whole damn time. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, futureman said:

isn’t this a placeholder commitment much like when 1st round baseball players “commit” to a school before playing in the minors?  I thought he was gonna take money and play in the g-league. 

I thought so too, but it seems like the G league already made it's final offer. Maybe he's trying to leverage them for more, but I don't see why the G League team would care that much. I'm not sure having GB3 on their roster or not really affects their bottom line all that much... And they're not exactly competing for any sort of championship.