Blastfurnace 2020: The Forcefield strikes back

Kavinsky

June can get really hot but I’m usually not beaten down yet. I feel like our summers wear you out by how long they go on more than the actual number on the thermometer. I will hate 97 in September more than 105 in June.

This. You usually get a bit of rain in June that keeps it manageable, though you feel the mugginess. When it stops raining in July and goes to 100 degrees for two months and change, while staying humid as balls without a drop of rain, is when I really feel it.

9 hours ago, gmr548 said:

This. You usually get a bit of rain in June that keeps it manageable, though you feel the mugginess. When it stops raining in July and goes to 100 degrees for two months and change, while staying humid as balls without a drop of rain, is when I really feel it.

73 and super muggy is not an ideal way to wake up and walk the dog, at least it’s only supposed to get to 80 today 

Guest Lobo

Yeah, damn soupy out this morning.  But moderate temp and some cloud cover should make it nice later.  

and agree with Larry T.  I'm sure I'm jinxing it but last few years the May-June period hasn't been terrible.  And 95 in early October is just as absolutely bullshit as 105 on Independence Day.  Every fucking year, summer goes later and later.  I'm tired of having to shootdown my 5-year old's costume ideas for Halloween because they'll be too oppressive in the heat and she could pass out.  those mascot guys have to cover themselves in ice packs for games in mid-fall.  However, the heat is nice for when Dad has to make an emergency run on his way home from work on Halloween to get more candy but he just sits at ogles the adult women's costumes for a couple hours.  

anyway, man that seems so far off right now. I can barely wrap my head around Memorial Day coming up and we'll spend it at home, maybe at our neighbor's pool best case.  

58 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm tired of having to shootdown my 5-year old's costume ideas for Halloween because they'll be too oppressive in the heat and she could pass out. 

Huh??  This past Halloween in Austin was the coldest in 30 years. And the one before that (or maybe 2017?) was among the coldest in decades too.  

• Like 2

Guest Lobo
50 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Huh??  This past Halloween in Austin was the coldest in 30 years. And the one before that (or maybe 2017?) was among the coldest in decades too.  

I'm getting old man, they all blur together.  They just usually seem too warm for normal.  2018 was 81, 2017 was 68, 2016 was 86, 2015 was 77, 2014 was 72, 2013 was 84, 2012 was 86, 2011 was 80, 2010 was 86.  I'm using the daytime highs because the festivities usually get started around 4 or 5 when that's still the temperature (or close to it).  Now those temps aren't hot, but they are certainly quite warm for the last day in October.  9 of the previous years, we've had touched over 80 6 times.  That's warm for a holiday that should be a little cool being that it's held in late Autumn.  Anyway, musta been 2016 when she wanted to be this astronaut but the costume was kinda like mascot or stuffed animal material, really thick.  She was sweating in it just walking around the house.  I like Halloween with kids kinda cool and with trashy women, it's best that it's a bit warm.  

Back to current weather-turned out to be a nice afternoon.  If only there was a open patio bar nearby on which to enjoy some Cinco de Mayo cocktails.  

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Went to get the mail a minute ago, hot as fuck. Neighborhood weather station (78759) on wunderground reporting heat index of 109. Furk.

Yep.  I’ve got my neighbor down the road’s Wunderground reporting 97 degrees and 108 heat index.   Weeeeeeeeee!!!!!

First evening bike ride of the year where I was promising to myself that this is the last summer I spend in Austin. Usually I make it to June before I make that pledge. 

Edited by Blotto

On 4/24/2020 at 6:22 PM, Chet Steadman said:

Jim Spencer said the average temperature in Austin has increased four degrees in the past thirty years.  

That seems...considerable.  

Lots of concrete has been put down in the past thirty years 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lobo

We had a good run.  Made the shelter-in-place a bit easier to deal with having all that great weather, and ample rains.  

But everything we know...is at an end.  

What a pisser.  I already have swampass and it's not even lunchtime yet.

Guest Lobo

Yeah, it's way too early for that shit.  Last few Junes have been pleasant IIRC.  

PhDhorn had a thing up somewhere that said our June in Central Texas will be hot, but should have above average rainfall.  That's something.  I can cling to that.  

Then again, I look around at everything and figure, my kids are healthy, everything else has gone to shit, may as well overheat this bitch.  But i was hoping my downstairs A/C unit would last another summer.  This is gonna really push it.  FUCK! 

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

PhDhorn had a thing up somewhere that said our June in Central Texas will be hot, but should have above average rainfall.  That's something.  I can cling to that.  

It's certainly a warm start with everyday being 6 or 7 degrees above average and that day is a good 14-15 degrees above average.

Edited by SimonBolivar

Guest Lobo

WEST SIDE UNITE!  Dammit, I'm more in South Austin('s mom).  

yeah, he did a great job explaining that.  I'm just getting old and didn't remember.  But hopefully that's the reason and not part of an overall disturbing hot trend for all of June.  

I'm gonna need to buy some more beer for the weekend.  

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Yeah that 105 temp next week is from being on the west side of the storm when it hits Phdhorn said. 

It will suck. I plan to stay inside 

Yep.  I remember Rita, I think it was.  Sucked in brutally hot air, we hit 105 or so, which was a good 5-7 degrees above what we were at before the storm.  And not a drop of rain.

32 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, it's way too early for that shit.  Last few Junes have been pleasant IIRC.  

Then again, I look around at everything and figure, my kids are healthy, everything else has gone to shit, may as well overheat this bitch.  But i was hoping my downstairs A/C unit would last another summer.  This is gonna really push it.  FUCK! 

My upstairs inside one went out 2 weeks ago. Better than a couple years ago when the downstairs one went out during that 2018 stretch in July where it was 110 for like a week straight. 

On 5/19/2020 at 9:38 PM, BevoSwag said:

Lots of concrete has been put down in the past thirty years 

Plus that whole global warming thing. 

This is my 5th summer in Dallas and it's got to be the hottest start to June. It's too early for it to be 95+ for weeks at a time, and what the fuck is up with the high on Tuesday?

9 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

My upstairs inside one went out 2 weeks ago. Better than a couple years ago when the downstairs one went out during that 2018 stretch in July where it was 110 for like a week straight. 

The AC just for my office is down keeping it at a nice 83 while the other 2 work all day to keep it there. I'm not looking forward to next week.

Hot week comin'.

Temps going up to high 90's weekend, but the kicker is that the tropical storm is going to slide east of us.  When they do that, they pull down on their west side continental dry air.  It comes in, sinks, and heats up.  Temps 102° or even 104° in spots Mon or Tues (most of us maybe 100° or so).  Then a polar front comes in and chills us way down to about 98° on Wed. Break out the hot chocolate.

• Like 1

Got the bonfire all set up for an outdoor hang this evening.  Will probably grill some steaks just to see if I can crank this bitch to 120 or so on the back porch.  Hot toddies for the grownups, and hot cocoa and smores for the kids.  I love this fall weather!

Reality:  I've been running numbers trying to figure out how to spend the next few months in an isolated cabin in the Rockies.  I don't usually start making desperate escape pans until mid July at the earliest. 

• Like 1

Yes, believe it or not, a "cold" front is passing through but all is not lost, you'll actually feel the nights/dawns to be a little bit cooler and even bordering on crisp the next couple days, Lows from the mid to even low 60s. Take what we can.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Yes, believe it or not, a "cold" front is passing through but all is not lost, you'll actually feel the nights/dawns to be a little bit cooler and even bordering on crisp the next couple days, Lows from the mid to even low 60s. Take what we can.

We better enjoy it too because this might be the last one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

So scorcher of a summer then? Damn, I wish I had a pool. Is the only hope for any rain this season a lone hurricane?

Just need a friend with a pool.  All the benefit, and the only worry is to help scoop leaves out of it and bring some margs/beer.   

just like your best friend’s boat.  Bring plenty of beer, know how to drive it, trailer it, tow it, and help pay for gas and you’re solid gold.  

• Like 2

Just now, Trey3216 said:

Just need a friend with a pool.  All the benefit, and the only worry is to help scoop leaves out of it and bring some margs/beer.   

just like your best friend’s boat.  Bring plenty of beer, know how to drive it, trailer it, tow it, and help pay for gas and you’re solid gold.  

Yep. True.

Taking Thursday off to get a round of golf in bc I know a high in the low 90s and dew point in the 50s isn't happening again for four months.
  • Like 1