Blastfurnace 2020: The Forcefield strikes back

Kavinsky

Honestly it was the most pleasant 99 you can get in DFW today. Humidity was barely above 10% in the afternoon, there was a nice breeze all day and not a cloud in the sky. Shouldn't get above 90 tomorrow. I'll take what I can get.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

So scorcher of a summer then? Damn, I wish I had a pool. Is the only hope for any rain this season a lone hurricane?

HEB sells them.  $20-$25, around 9 feet long and 5-6 feet wide, can hold two feet of water or so, and when it's empty you can deflate it and stow it away for next time.  Put it in the sun and it's a hot tub.

It's actually been a hit with our kids thankfully.

• Like 1

These things are usually fairly accurate... CPC sez warm this summer.. rain chances a little > than 50/50 wetter then normal for us.  But one reason the US SE coast is in the green precip wise is that we're in a La Niña situation, which is better for hurricane development.  Otherwise we do not like La Niña here.  Drier, hotter, not as much rain.  So yeah, a good chance summer is gonna suck flaming lava balls.  But hope springs eternal... June is our 2nd wettest month (not so far though!) but while most of the 2nd half of June looks to be dry and hot, the last week looks maybe to be a little wetter.

La Niña summers generally suck, though.  Happy Sodom and Gomorrah! 

off01_temp.gif

off01_prcp.gif

Edited by phdhorn

57 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Yeah, what the hell is going on? Why is the wind blowing out of the north in June? Is it that tropical storm that went inland east of us?

Yes. There is always (almost?) a cool front after tropical storms.  At least that is what I have observed since I moved to the Houston area and began to really pay attention to tropical storms.

13 hours ago, XYZ said:

Yeah, what the hell is going on? Why is the wind blowing out of the north in June? Is it that tropical storm that went inland east of us?

Well, the tropical storm started it, but that's long gone as is the influence from it.

The wind is out of the NE for one reason. A big high-pressure system is to our west and although w6ere influenced by it we're not directly under it. Being on the east side of it, with its clockwise circulation winds are flowing toward the S-SW.

The high is supposed to nudge closer to us over the next few days, which is why it'll get warmer. Those terrible summer highs that pretty much park right on top of us and rotate rain all around Texas (but not in Texas!) bring winds from the SE or SW. That's when the sun's anvil starts going crazy.

Enjoy it while you can.

Edited by phdhorn

We were starting to get pretty crackly grass as of late, but that downpour yesterday morning really helped (3+ inches between 5-11am).  Seemed like for once we were in one of those great isolated pockets that far exceeded official rainfall totals for Austin in a given day, instead of the opposite which is where we usually find ourselves.  Having stopped to be thankful for that and that we got to shut the sprinklers off all day today, the humidity that front left us with...what the fuck?  It's so much angrier than our usual June humidity.  I was readying myself for some great Father's Day action with the wife later but I'll need three showers between now and then.  

On 6/20/2020 at 3:24 PM, texhorn said:

What? My yard would have been non-existent at this point. Been watering since March. Where do you live, northern Michigan?

I'm shocked too.  Live in Waco.  It had been about 3 weeks without rain before I ran them.  

The guy we bought the house from must be spent a ton of money on the yard.  His old lawn guy came by to introduce himself and tried to get me to sign on.  Told me the guy did core aeration and compost topdressing among other things. 

Needless to say, the lawn guy was said to see him move on and me move in.

I'm ripping up half the backyard to put in a garden and next spring I'm gonna rip out a lot of the front to make it a native wildlife habitat

• Like 1

Yeah the heat is doing a bangup fucking job here in Austin.  My balls haven't been unstuck from my leg in a week and Travis/Hays County positive results are up day over day by the hundreds to thousands.  Top notch  job so far mother nature!  Our reward for being diligent and actually listening to science is vinegar balls and virus mitigation.  Meantime, every other fucking idiot in this state is in some kinda social narrowing game like Pokemon.  

Shoulda shut down this thread for the week.  Temps are below average last 3 days, might get warm today or tomorrow, but go down again below normal for Friday →.

Pushed the inevitable summer conflagration back another week at least.   Then all bets are off, latter half of 1st week of July looking volcanic (40% reliability).

We'll see 100° probably Thurs-Fri, maybe in to Sat. before coming down again.  Big high in Gulf is moving west towards us.
Plus we got more dust coming in tomorrow.  Probably not as dense as the first round but you'll notice it.  Should be gone by Thurs or so.

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

We'll see 100° probably Thurs-Fri, maybe in to Sat. before coming down again.  Big high in Gulf is moving west towards us.
Plus we got more dust coming in tomorrow.  Probably not as dense as the first round but you'll notice it.  Should be gone by Thurs or so.

Texas. July. Gonna be warm. 

Guest Lobo
7 hours ago, phdhorn said:

How much more dust overall?  Is this the last batch?

fucking mosquitoes have been horrible since everyday and everywhere in my yard is ‘overcast’