Blastfurnace 2020: The Forcefield strikes back

Kavinsky

11 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Over the past 5 years or so , I've really grown to dislike the scorching July/August weather in Texas, but god damn does this year take the cake.

At least at in the past you could catch a baseball game or a movie, or meet up with friends at a well-shaded bar with fans on blast. Weekend activity options are basically now limited to (i) sit inside house in AC, (ii) jump in pool that feels like luke-warm bath water, or (iii) die.

We are getting older man. It happens. I used to play golf in the summer in the middle of the day in August because I could knock out 36 holes with my buddies (in a cart) in 4 or so hours because we were the only ones on the course. 
now?  I am in one of 6 places during the summer: 1) home 2) work 3) movie 4) Minute Maid park 5) church 6) a pool that’s  way too warm to be refreshing. 
I have hated summer passionately for about 10 or 12 years now. 
with the covid it’s down to 1, 2 and 6. That’s why we hit the road and got into the mountains and yankee territory as quickly as we could. 
So much better- it’s still hot and a little muggy here but I’ve gone on at least one 3-5 mile hike each week, gone on a couple rafting trips with perfectly refreshing water, been to some caves and Cole mines with 50-60 degree temperatures etc. I’ve lost 10 or 15 pounds, been more active and my outlook on life compared to a typical summer for me is just so much better. 
I’m going to try really hard to never spend another summer in Texas. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We are getting older man. It happens. I used to play golf in the summer in the middle of the day in August because I could knock out 36 holes with my buddies (in a cart) in 4 or so hours because we were the only ones on the course. 
now?  I am in one of 6 places during the summer: 1) home 2) work 3) movie 4) Minute Maid park 5) church 6) a pool that’s  way too warm to be refreshing. 
I have hated summer passionately for about 10 or 12 years now. 
with the covid it’s down to 1, 2 and 6. That’s why we hit the road and got into the mountains and yankee territory as quickly as we could. 
So much better- it’s still hot and a little muggy here but I’ve gone on at least one 3-5 mile hike each week, gone on a couple rafting trips with perfectly refreshing water, been to some caves and Cole mines with 50-60 degree temperatures etc. I’ve lost 10 or 15 pounds, been more active and my outlook on life compared to a typical summer for me is just so much better. 
I’m going to try really hard to never spend another summer in Texas. 

I'm outside smoking the biggest, most beautiful pork roast ever.  Its 109 in the shade.  I am the same as you with one huge exception.  FUCK WINTER!

On 7/7/2020 at 8:41 AM, Wally Pryor said:

Not me, but Spencer:

Sunday and Monday’s forecast highs of 106 and 107 degrees in Austin would be the hottest temperatures we have recorded in two full years. The hottest we were last summer was 105 degrees. In July 2018, Austin’s highs reached 110 degrees.

https://www.kxan.com/weather/forecast/todays-forecast/

He about nailed it a week out. 

Not even close. We had 90 days straight of 100+ starting in may.
No we didn't. We had 90 total 100 degree days. 27 consecutive is the record from 2011. Late July through most of August. This record gets embellished a lot.

That summer was hot/dry as fuck, and when it happens again/becomes normal in definitely moving, so I'm not downplaying it. But that's a big difference. I'm sure the heat index was permanently above 100 though.

21 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You crazy dawg.  I can handle the heat as long as I'm in the shade, but I can't imagine standing around a golf course for 4 hours.

2 hours ago, Hate said:

I’m playing golf late Friday afternoon, but it’s only supposed to be mid 90’s.

Golf is fine up until around 97 degrees. Anything hotter than that and I’m bailing.

During the summer I go for the first tee time. Tee off around 7am and get a round done in two hours.

6 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Golf is fine up until around 97 degrees. Anything hotter than that and I’m bailing.

During the summer I go for the first tee time. Tee off around 7am and get a round done in two hours.

I don't golf early...especially in the Houston area.  The humidity is unbelievable that early in the morning here.  You'll need to change your underwear and shirt by the 6th tee.  The later the better here.  

7 hours ago, bluto said:

What pool temps are y’all seeing? Buddy has a pool with decent shade that hit 94 yesterday. Unreal

I just checked my pool which has no shade at all.  It is 92. I just put in the "aerator" to see if I can cool it off a little bit.  During the afternoon times, I can easily get to 95. 

9 hours ago, Lerka Lerka said:

Wtf kind of golf round do y'all play in 2 hours? Do you even putt?  

We used to play in 2 hours all the time when we were kids. That was in a cart, nobody on the course, and we were all pretty close to scratch golfers. Might it have been 2:15 or something like that?  Sure. But never even would have crossed our minds that a summer cart round with nobody else on the course couldn’t be finished in somewhere around 2 hours. 

• Like 1

2 hour rounds are possible, but, as other have said, there can be no one else on the course and you have to be in a cart. Additionally, you can't suck and have to be spending anytime in the woods looking for your ball.

My dad was an instructor out at a place in Spicewood called Lake Cliff. I played a two hour round out there one day when I had a buddy who was not playing, but was driving my cart. There was literally one other group on the entire course that day and there were 10 players in the group. I teed off as they were making the turn. I caught up to them while they were on the 17th green and I was on the tee box. 

On 7/14/2020 at 10:12 AM, Orange&White said:

Looking back on that year, I seriously wonder how there weren't more murders and suicides.

Reminds me of an old Mickey Rivers quote - "It was so damn hot outside that the dogs were chasing cats and they was both walking."

It was too damn hot to do anything

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I call bullshit on 2 hour rounds anytime or anywhere. It takes at least 8 to 10 minutes to play most holes even when no one else is there.

I’ve played 18 in under 90 minutes. Granted that was alone.

Edited by StruggleBus

19 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I’ve played 18 in under 90 minutes. Granted that was alone.

If you are good enough and lazy enough you just hit your ball on top of the other guys (or next to the cart path) to keep things moving along. 
but yeah, nobody is plumb bobbing or doing ratchet man pre shot routines and playing in 2 hours. 

How do you play a round of golf in under 2 hours and have time to drink/piss?  That's 6 minutes a hole leaving you with a whooping 10 leftover minutes to drink/piss.  

That's about as believable as an obese septuagenerian regularly shooting under 80 from the blue tees at North American courses.

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

How do you play a round of golf in under 2 hours and have time to drink/piss?  That's 6 minutes a hole leaving you with a whooping 10 leftover minutes to drink/piss.  

That's about as believable as an obese septuagenerian regularly shooting under 80 from the blue tees at North American courses.

You saw where I said in the summer at 3PM.  I can run through 6-8 beers outside in a 2 hour round at that time and not have to piss.   It’s too fucking hot.  Beer just sweats out.   

i went out by myself last week and got through the front 9 in 50 minutes last Thursday.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Think about It this way- if you are a stick- and shooting 75 or something like that, more likely than not you only have 50 or so shots that matter. The rest are just “chip it close, lag it up there, tap it in”. It’s not the least bit hard if you are playing your local course that you know well and Aren’t waiting on anyone. 

Just now, Trey3216 said:

You saw where I said in the summer at 3PM.  I can run through 6-8 beers outside in a 2 hour round at that time and not have to piss.   It’s too fucking hot.  Beer just sweats out.   

i went out by myself last week and got through the front 9 in 50 minutes last Thursday.  

We lived on the third tee and the third tee to the 8th green was a loop. 6 holes. 1 par three and one par 5 so par Par 24. I’d play it in 20 or 25 minutes all the time, after dinner before dark. Of course, that meant I was busting it to try to get home before dark- get it in so was concentrating on playing very fast (and alone). Playing with a buddy in 2 or so hours was just natural, not something we tried at. 

I'm jealous.  If it just took 2 hours to play a round if you did it at the right place, right time, with the right people...I'd certainly play a lot more.  It doesn't help that I'm bad at golf and need to take several beverage breaks.  

I've had quiet rounds on a good courses with just one other guy and me playing fast in a cart, drinking while the other guy hit.  Yeah, some of the holes did just take us 6 minutes, but those were the rare exceptions, not the norm for 18 straight.  Still took us about 3 hours (again, I'm not good---I struggle to break 90).  Pure coincidence that there's a new trend out there in America right now to not just lie about your score, but to also embellish about how quickly you can play a round so as not to take away from your exceptional leadership back at the office.  

Edited by Lobo

Why do you need to allot time to drink? Can you not drink your beverage while you maneuver the cart to the next shot? Do you literally stop and single task taking drinks of your beverage?

Of all of the reason to doubt a two hour round of golf, accounting for time to consume a beverage seems like the absolute worst argument to stand on.

• Like 2

I just said, drinking while the other guy hits.  But yeah, by "drinking", I was really politely talking about time to piss.  Even when it's hot out, I just piss a lot when drinking beer.  Not so much with wine or cocktails, but I gotta take a leak after every two beers.  I know a two hour round is possible, there are a lot of us just asking innocent questions.  Some guys mentioned sweating out the beer, that probably explains a lot of it.  I don't play when it's this hot out, so I still play where every couple of beers you drink, that's a 3 minute delay to walk into the woods to piss and walk back out.    

I just think current popular golfers who are bragging about how quickly they play rounds of golf so as not to distract from how effective they are at their dayjobs are causing other people to lie in justifying it.  

Pfft, amateur.  She does this one thing with me to save time, where you get all three holes at once.  In an order, and logistical fashion, that would surprise you.  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I'm jealous.  If it just took 2 hours to play a round if you did it at the right place, right time, with the right people...I'd certainly play a lot more.  It doesn't help that I'm bad at golf and need to take several beverage breaks.  

I would still play golf if it was a 2 hour thing. It’s just too much time away from the family to go out in a Saturday or Sunday. You are basically conceding half the day away from them. Oh, and the heat.