Blastfurnace 2020: The Forcefield strikes back

Kavinsky

I am so fucking ragey. We have a 7000 acre fire burning in SoCal. All started because some fucking idiot held a gender reveal party, and used a pyrotechnic device to generate colored smoke.

Who knows how many homes and businesses will be lost, how many firefighters lives are at risk, and how much money this will all cost.

Ignorant motherfuckers

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I am so fucking ragey. We have a 7000 acre fire burning in SoCal. All started because some fucking idiot held a gender reveal party, and used a pyrotechnic device to generate colored smoke.

Who knows how many homes and businesses will be lost, how many firefighters lives are at risk, and how much money this will all cost.

Ignorant motherfuckers

Going to a sex-reveal party sounds like something I would never want to participate in. Why do people think other people give two shits what sex their kid is

18 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Ignorant motherfuckers

Well??? Don't leave us hanging! Boy or girl?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

There’s a 7000 acre fire burning near Bozeman right.now too. But it doesn’t seem to generate the same coverage as California fires. 

I would imagine that's due to a couple of factors: population impacted, and number of media outlets in the region.  

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

There’s a 7000 acre fire burning near Bozeman right.now too. But it doesn’t seem to generate the same coverage as California fires. 

And there's the Cameron Peak fire which went from 24k acres to 36k acres overnight Saturday and blanketed Denver in smoke. Combine that with the smoke from California at the high altitudes and the heat, and it's completely miserable again. Can't believe I am saying this, but I am excited for this 6 inches of snow we are getting tomorrow.

Jesus Christ, it just keeps getting worse. Current forecast for Houston is now for it to be hotter and muggier on Thursday-Saturday than it is today. We've gone well beyond "no major cooldown, but at least it will feel better". We're actively going in the opposite direction. 

Not a single temp below 74 anywhere to be found on the 14 day forecast. Fuck this town.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Jesus Christ, it just keeps getting worse. Current forecast for Houston is now for it to be hotter and muggier on Thursday-Saturday than it is today. We've gone well beyond "no major cooldown, but at least it will feel better". We're actively going in the opposite direction. 

Not a single temp below 74 anywhere to be found on the 14 day forecast. Fuck this town.

Yeah. There's only one low temp forecasted below 70 in Austin this week. A couple of days ago we had multiple days below a low of 60.

Aaaaaand it's 11:30 and already 90 degrees out. High of 93 my ass.

Edited by ztejas

The front itself is strong enough to make it way past Houston and into the Gulf, but the system behind it has now decided to dick around Denver for a couple days, instead of plowing south.

Because of this change in momentum, the storm has a better chance now of being taken to the E/NE through the upper Midwest, almost completely bypassing us, so we'll get the very mild edges of the front, not the big cool jolt that was first forecast.

It'll still be really nice, just not super cool nice.

There's always a "Lloyd Christmas One In a Million So You're Sayin' There's a Chance" chance there will still make it this far, but yeah, right.

What the hell am I gonna do with all this Patagonia gear I stole? 

Maybe PhDhorn can chime in, but looks like...despite about average temps this time of year (maybe a hint below)...starting the week of the 13th...we should be in for some very nice rainfall. 

My buddies and I saw the 10 day forecast last week & quickly made a tee time for this coming Fri. We were giddy with thoughts of playing in temps in the 70s or even 60s (because we're sure as shit not gonna score that low).

Now it's looking like muggy 70s-80s with slight chance of storms. Guess I'll just pack some extra beer.

For all in tents and porpoises, the summer weather pattern around here, at least for the next 10 days, is vaporized.  Kaput.  Zero.  The massive highs that dominate our summer and squeeze out any rain are gone.  The high making news of course had parked itself in the Nevada/Cali border region, frying them.  As a result, the gateway's been open here for various rain scenarios, and will continue to be so.

The first one is with this cool front - it's kinda slowed but will pick up speed again.  They're still struggling with nailing temps, and the latest 24 hour models have swung a bit back to cooler temps - we could hit the 70's as it goes by - but temps are still looking like low-mid 80's for us.  But 100 miles or so west of us, could easily be a low-70's day.  Anyway, however you slice it, you'll definitely notice the drier, cooler air, especially compared to what we could get in early September.

This first rain scenario will be due to this cool front sweeping in later Wed.  Ahead of it a lot of lift will happen and so Wed. is  forecast to be a pretty good rain day, maybe severe in a few areas.  The bulk of this rain will fall in W. Texas, but enough will bleed into our area.  Once this front and system finally sweeps by to the north of us, instead of a high behind it cutting off rain, we're going to be under another low trough (like last week).  This is the biggest part of the "not summer" pattern.  We'll have enough instability to keep rain in the forecast for at least the next 5-6 days.  If you're going to the game to contract COVID, it'll be probably a hit-miss rain day.  I think it's gonna rain there a bit, but nothing severe.  Who cares, it's UTEP anyway and the sound of rain pinging on the empty bleachers is kinda charming.

So we have a good fall pattern right now - lots of stuff swarming around us and temps will stay WAY below 100 starting Wed.  

Could the 100's come back?  Hell yes.  It's Austin.  It's September.  It gets hot in Austin in September, and a high could settle in and fartstomp us.  But we're done with the day after day march of triple digits.  This is NOT like last September, and won't be, at least longer than a day or two at a pop.  Once we hit the last week of Sept., 100's are very, very rare (unless you have hurricane help, like Rita in 2005, when it got to 109° like the 28th or something.

Anyway, nice days ahead the next week or so, not too hot and chances of rain well into early next week.

The bitching looks to be on hold for now.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/7/2020 at 11:09 AM, Storm the Field said:

Today is pretty awesome temperature wise.

On 9/7/2020 at 7:34 AM, phdhorn said:

As (I) expected, cold front has mitigated.  Will still get here, but weakened. 

2cef043629ebc6c55e26ade1e3f977bc.gif

(well, a little bit yes still, too)

Now it's pretty clear that the front is going to come in more to original cooler predictions.  Most models are calling for it to sweep well east of 35, so it's likely that it blows through tonight, and by tomorrow temps will be in the high 50's then a high to almost 70.  Yeah, I said almost.  Some areas will get warmer, but it's going to be pretty cool.

It won't last too long - by Saturday we'll be  above 90° or so but another cooloff (not as sharp) coming next week.

This front has been awful to predict - the storm just stopped in W. Colorado, which is why the mountains, after a week in the 80's, are now looking at about 1-2 feet of snow up there in spots.  Anyway the thing is still going to head east and bypass us a bit to the north, but it's taking a bit more southerly dive first (as originally predicted), and the front will now be close enough to usher in the cooler air for a day or two.

Meantime, rain is going to be significant today.  Careful.

Well, that's the toss of the coi... er, forecast for today.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Hate said:

I’m not seeing any updates to the temps for SE Texas. Will this front impact us here at all?

Unfortunately, maybe not.  Maybe western suburbs.  Front is 'posed to poop out somewhere around Columbus and dissipate by the weekend.

But "so you're saying there's a chance Lloyd Christmas" that the increased momentum of the front could bring it into Houston.  But so far no weather whores are biting, so right now doesn't look like it.   Interestingly Friday is showing a strong north wind - with temps getting to mid-90's (whhhhhaaaaaaattt?).  I think unfortunately you guys are too much under the influence of the offshore breezes to get this front into your area.  But I'll pray to Jobu and see what he can do.

• Like 1