Blastfurnace 2020: The Forcefield strikes back

Kavinsky

1 minute ago, Storm the Field said:

What's the preferred image hosting site on here these days? Freaking imgur links seem to break within a few minutes now. 

Imgur links have never worked on this site. you can upload directly to this site, and it will host for you

Edited by UnivTex34

That little cooloff/breeze you're feeling now is a mild cool front making its way through ATX.  That's why temps will be about 5-6 degrees cooler the next few days than the weekend was.

Not bad.  We've essentially been skipping the 90's the past 1 1/2 weeks and going into the 80's (with this past weekend exception).  How long can that last, lol?

Edited by phdhorn

Forecast models currently have a very mild front making its way to Houston sometime Friday and bringing down temps & humidity levels a few clicks to make for a rather pleasant weekend, but it doesn't look like we're expected to catch anything major before the end of the month. As of now, it could possibly be a third straight year where those of us in the city proper make it all the way into October before recording a temp below 70 (not typical). 

On the bright side, looks like this long hot summer has pretty much run out of gas. Wednesday is the last day on the extended forecast with a high above 92 or a low above 75.  Following some rain on Thursday, it's a whole lot of ~90/72 days on the 14-day charts. If you hadn't already noticed, the days will start seeming significantly shorter, as we're entering the ~3 week period of maximum sunlight duration decline (-1:46/day). By the 27th, we'll be under the 12-hour mark when sunrise begins occurring later in the morning than sunset in the evening. 

In the meantime, gonna have to dust off my "winter" clothes for a much-needed vacation in the mountains starting Friday. I'm looking at like 5 straight days of 65/40, sunny and dry.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Forecast models currently have a very mild front making its way to Houston sometime Friday and bringing down temps & humidity levels a few clicks to make for a rather pleasant weekend, but it doesn't look like we're expected to catch anything major before the end of the month. As of now, it could possibly be a third straight year where those of us in the city proper make it all the way into October before recording a temp below 70 (not typical). 

On the bright side, looks like this long hot summer has pretty much run out of gas. Wednesday is the last day on the extended forecast with a high above 92 or a low above 75.  Following some rain on Thursday, it's a whole lot of ~90/72 days on the 14-day charts. If you hadn't already noticed, the days will start seeming significantly shorter, as we're entering the ~3 week period of maximum sunlight duration decline (-1:46/day). By the 27th, we'll be under the 12-hour mark when sunrise begins occurring later in the morning than sunset in the evening. 

In the meantime, gonna have to dust off my "winter" clothes for a much-needed vacation in the mountains starting Friday. I'm looking at like 5 straight days of 65/40, sunny and dry.

I've been noticing the days getting shorter for the last month and a half.  Used to when I got up at 5:30, by the time I had my first cup of coffee it was already bright enough outside I didn't need the lights on in the kitchen.  Now I'm almost done with the full pot by the time I can cut off the lights.  I  remember when it was still fairly light out at 8:45P, but now it's getting pretty dark by 7:30P.

I'm already dreading those days where it's freaking dark at 5:15.  Hate that shit.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

On the bright side, looks like this long hot summer has pretty much run out of gas. Wednesday is the last day on the extended forecast with a high above 92 or a low above 75.  Following some rain on Thursday, it's a whole lot of ~90/72 days on the 14-day charts. 

Nice to see when the pros agree with you. From this morning's SpaceCity post:

The overall pattern begins to change by Wednesday night or so, as an atmospheric disturbance nears the area. This should allow for the development of some clouds in the sky, and a healthy chance of rain showers.

We’re now pretty confident that some sort of front will push into Houston on Friday night or Saturday morning, but we still don’t have great confidence in the details. At this point it’s probably best to temper expectations. Yes, we’ll see some noticeably drier air. Yes, this should shave a few points of high and low temperatures. But no, at least right now, we can’t definitely say it will feel like fall in Houston. However, the good news is that we don’t expect to go back to highs in the mid-90s and lows near 80 after this front passes. Summer’s days are numbered as we should see more fronts after this one.

This summer has been pretty tame in the grand scheme of things.  Oh there were plenty of days that it was just God awful hot, but it didn't seem that bad this year compared to past summers.

Yeah it hasn’t been that bad. Would still guess they are off an average of 1-2 degrees per day if you look at a 5-day forecast against actuals

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

We can probably shut this thread down for a while.

The current forecasts covering the next 10-14 days are about as nice as you could ever hope for this time of year. Lots of sun and significantly drier and cooler, especially towards the end of next week and on into next weekend.

On 9/25/2020 at 9:57 AM, phdhorn said:

We got 2 fronts coming in over the next 4-5 days, not much rain.  Temps will get into the 90's on the weekend (nowhere near 100°) then back into the 70's-80's.

This thread is metaphysically dead.  It's now called "autumn in Texas."

We call it Fall in Texas. Autumn is for the Brits. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 9:57 AM, phdhorn said:

We got 2 fronts coming in over the next 4-5 days, not much rain.  Temps will get into the 90's on the weekend (nowhere near 100°) then back into the 70's-80's.

This thread is metaphysically dead.  It's now called "autumn in Texas."

i dunno.  got my haircut outside today as I am wont to do...and it's already balmy as hell.  given the humidity, says it's supposed to be about 98 today with heat index/realfeel, which is not NOWHERE NEAR 100 man!  I kid, I kid.  Always love your meteorological insights (and my meatyour insights with South Austin's Mom).  Looks like we're done with 90 degrees for the calendar year, right?  That's all I care about.  So what time tomorrow (Monday) should we expect this titanic shift in our weather pattern?  I wanna make sure I'm outside with the kids, and not stuck at work, when it rolls in.  Thanks...

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

i dunno.  got my haircut outside today as I am wont to do...and it's already balmy as hell.  given the humidity, says it's supposed to be about 98 today with heat index/realfeel, which is not NOWHERE NEAR 100 man!  I kid, I kid.  Always love your meteorological insights (and my meatyour insights with South Austin's Mom).  Looks like we're done with 90 degrees for the calendar year, right?  That's all I care about.  So what time tomorrow (Monday) should we expect this titanic shift in our weather pattern?  I wanna make sure I'm outside with the kids, and not stuck at work, when it rolls in.  Thanks...

DarkSky says high of 92, but feels like 105?!?!

^

Yep, that 10-day streak of 100 degree days was a beating.  But there was good rain and it was pleasant in the early mornings and late evenings.  That's rare.  This ragweed can suck my balls though.  

I already consider, with great disdain that, other than that one day of rain, this was the shittiest August in Austin history. I know August is supposed to suck, it always has.  But 110-115 degree heat indexes were a brutal for the kids.  They couldn't go out and play the whole fucking month.  I'd take 'em out around 7:30a or so for an hour and it was already too hot.  Then we'd try to ride bikes after dinner and it was 110.  The humidity, as always, was the teasing bitch.  

Anyway, let's stop and give thanks for a great September.  October is off to a lovely start.  Leaves giving their first hint of color change in our yard, very subtle though.  Gonna camp with the oldest one on Saturday night after the TCU game.  She's been wanting to go all summer but the evenings are finally cool enough so dad can make it through a whole night in the tent.  Fishing has been better lately as well.  And there's football and playoff baseball to watch.  But it's 2020, so I'm sure we're due for a flood.